The perpetual “is LENR even real” argument thread.

• The guy basically proposes that Pd can have a huge H storage capacity and release it in burts that explain the "apparent excess heat".

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The guy basically proposes that Pd can have a huge H storage capacity and release it in burts that explain the "apparent excess heat".

Yeah, and if it is "apparent" it isn't real. So what is he talking about?

Here is what I find hysterical. It isn't often you see a scientific paper where the answer is 4 and the correct answer is 24 million. Nobody noticed? They have never heard of energy density?

It is just too funny.

• 1 kJ excess with 241 kJ in, 242 kJ out, that's within error margins.

They should have tried up to 50 wt% KOH concentration just to make sure, although that would have likely required lower voltages.

I don't mean it's rather significant, just that they reported it without making much of it. I am puting it as an example of the general context that calorimetry in these experiments is well understood, and they were able to get the expected balance 3 out of 4 times, and got one outlier just with the highest KOH concentration they worked with.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• This paper from 2007 is a review of excess heat in Pd H systems, and I think it would be great if Sabine would have read it.

Anomalous effects in hydrogen-charged palladium — A review
    There are more than 10 groups world wide that have reported the measurement of excess heat in 1/3 of their experiments in open and/or closed electroch…
    www.sciencedirect.com

• I just found another reference of excess heat during difussion of H through Pd, this one I was completely unaware of, from Chinese researchers. In these experiments the absence of water and the sudden spikes of temperature make the calorimetry a moot point.

An Excess Heat Phenomenon Triggered by Pressure in a H-Pd Gas-Loading System | Scientific.Net

• I wrote various responses to THH:

Perhaps you mean that the results depend on calibration. That they are predicated on it, or they can only be computed in reference to a calibration. Is that what you mean? That is incorrect. In all recent experiments, the result is also measured by first principles.

You always know where recombination occurs. With an open cell, it is always outside the cell. You can tell because the amount of electrolyte lost every day follows Faraday's law closely.

He did not respond. He never will respond. His method is to write bogus doubts, hoping that no one will respond. He can then claim that his doubts are unrefuted, so he wins by default. That does not bother me. I wrote the messages for the benefit of other readers. However, this does irk me:

THH will repeat this nonsense in a few weeks. He will once again claim that that all calorimetry depends on calibration so you can never be sure it is right. * He will once again claim that Shanahan's hypothesis is correct, even though it has been disproven many times by calibrating with a joule heater in the same cell as the electrodes. Once again, he will do this hoping that no one responds, so he can fool new readers and readers who did not read my responses.

That is deceptive. He should be censured for that.

* As I said, that is not true. Calorimetry nowadays is always checked against first principles, plus calibrations. It is dead simple to do a first principle check with a flow or Seebeck calorimeter. Everyone always does this. It is a little more complicated with other types, but not difficult nowadays. Furthermore, you can depend only on calibrations. Suppose you calibrate before a test, then on-the-fly during the test, and then recalibrate afterwards. You find the calibration constant has not changed. Suppose that during the experiment, there is excess heat, including during times when you are recalibrating on-the-fly (Fleischmann's method). It makes no sense to claim that the calibration constant changed only during the excess heat events, but then it went right back to what it was, and this amazing behavior only happens when you test Pd-D, you achieve high loading, and the cell produces helium at 24 MeV. There is no possible way the type of cathode and water, or high loading, or helium can change the calibration constant. There is no causal connection.

• The sum total of knowledge revealed by the entire set of experiments is more convincing and more educational than any single experiment. Showing there is heat in some experiments is good. Showing that it correlates with loading is even better, because loading cannot cause an artifact in calorimetry. You can only correlate heat with loading in many different experiments, preferably from different labs, like this:

So: this is the core of the argument between LENR field and everyone else.

LENR field says: every single experiment can be criticised, but put them all together and the result are persuasive.

Other people say: we want one reference experiment - even if unreliable on a per cathode sample basis - which can prove excess heat.

Look at the criticisms, above, of the arguments against LENR. All, or almost all, of these criticisms involve taking one type of experiment and saying "look, that criticism does not apply to this - so it it is wrong". Logically, that is incorrect. Each criticism may only reply to one class of the "successful" experiments. All we need is that one criticism is valid for each experiment - not that they are all valid.

There is something very specific about the claimed conditions of LENR that means we cannot just aggregate experiments and reckon "the aggregate gives us more confidence that the individuals". It is accepted that the conditions to get LENR are difficult to find. For example, google does not find them - google is not doing it right**. Given this inherent lack of replicability from one sample to another it is impossible to disprove LENR by replicating an experiment except in special circumstances (when you have the same sample of metal subdivided and each group follows exactly the same protocol re anything that might alter impurities). There is no inherent self-checking of positive results, as there would be with a more replicable experiment. This means that protocols, etc, can be selected for ones that work - and those that work could be working for multiple (selected) subtle and less subtle calorimetry errors.

Saying that scientists do not make silly mistakes is silly: look at the F&P boil-off phase major mistake*. That was a high profile experiment from people very experienced - and what they got wrong was not electrochemistry even!

Jed, Alan, etc above talk about Shanahan's hypothesis. To my knowledge Shanahan has two hypotheses:

(1) (more a proven theory) calibration constant variations are much more significant as source of error when excess power is a small fraction of input power. Shanahan claims that LENR error bounds often do not take this into consideration. As above, this will not apply to all experiments, Shanahan says it applies to many, and that for them the error bounds given are larger shown. (I'd need to go back to source for this, but really it needs explicit checking for each experiment. This is very simple math, and can easily be checked given working.

(2) ATER can happen. Jed, Alan suggest that this would not happen and ask for a reference experiment to show it. Let me point out that if Shanahan is correct a reference experiment for ATER is similar to a reference experiment for LENR under electrolysis. It would depend on cathode condition etc and be difficult to make repeatable. So the same excuses made for LENR will work for ATER. No negative result can disprove the hypothesis. What is needed is:

closed cells:

a calorimetry experiment where if the heat distribution changes (between recombiner and cathode or recombiner and electrolyte close to the cathode) that will alter the calibration constant. This could be determined (given that real ATER is flaky) by differentially heating the recombiner or the cathode and doing a calibration run. I do not believe Alan, Jed have considered this, nor that any closed cell experiments have done it - at least if it has been done no-one has told me.

open cells:

Here what we need is to simulate the (as elusive as LENR) ATER at the cathode. That is difficult.

* Not going to rehash this. here. Many people on this site say ascoli and THH are wrong - however they refuse to verify this by providing video clips and timestamps that could reasonably (arguably) support F&P's contention that watching the video allowed them to determine the times at which the cells had 50% and 0% of liquid. (I allow (50+x)% and x%).

** See my next post on Storms paper about the high loading controversy, and the replication by google guys of loading experiments.

• Thanks for the link above Jed. I liked this quote " N&N have now also proceeded to invent a new hypothetical type of heat that they claim could have been missed in our experiments, and which was not reported by Pons and Fleischmann in their experiments."

• Storms, google, and the high loading controversy.

The google guys found it very difficult to get loading higher than 0.875. They also said that measuring loading accurately was not easy - they tried several methods.

It seems possible to me that the LENR variability here (not understood) might be variability in measurement - not in obtaining high loading. it would be important to check this with the (better) experiments to check.

Otherwise, if the google guys really got it wrong, a reference experiment with replicable high loading (using a single cathode sample that can be broken into say 10 cathodes, with 50% used and 50% left for replication) could be used to correct the google guys (in the mainstream literature) and also to say more precisely what is needed for high loading. After all, maybe the special recipe neeed to gte high loading eluded them. Or may they are right and the apparent v high loading results are in fact loading measurements artifacts.

• LENR field says: every single experiment can be criticised, but put them all together and the result are persuasive.

No, we do not say that. Stop putting words in our mouths. The top tier experiments cannot be criticized. They are irrefutable. That is to say, no one has refuted them. Skeptics such as Morrison and you tried to refute them, but you failed. You have not shown any errors in Fleischmann, McKubre, Miles, Storms, Bockris or any other. I know that you think you have, but you are wrong. I showed how you were wrong in the examples above. Actually, it wasn't me. I described how the papers show you were wrong.

Other people say: we want one reference experiment - even if unreliable on a per cathode sample basis - which can prove excess heat.

The original F&P experiment proves there is excess heat. Hundreds of expert electrochemists replicated it, and they all agree that is what it proves. You do not agree, but they are right and you are wrong. They know much more about this than you do.

• Remember - I may not seem very tame on this thread but I am not biassed against LENR. I actually think type 2 LENR is plausible in these D/Pd systems. I think type 1 for the same systems is less plausible, not impossible. I think it is very suspicious when H/Pd and D/Pd gives the same results, or when H/Pd or H/Ni "works". The difficulty of making H have nuclear reactions is much higher than D for fundamental and agreed by all reasons.

Many of the D experiments show positive against a control of H. Taht is IMHO necessary for plausibility, but not sufficient because of the very different physical properties of H and D.

Next post I will comment on Storms rebuttal linked above.

• THHuxleynew , you have not said anything about the excess heat in D gas flow through PdAg tubing walls like Fralick did in 1989 and was confirmed as presented by Benyo at ICCF24. There are other analog results by Li with a Pd thin film that also produced excess heat with an energy density of the order of a modern nuclear fission plant. A couple of days ago I found a series of paper from a Chinese team that were published between 2011 and 2015 and some later from 2021 that are all in Pd D or Ni H flow through metal systems, none of the is electrolytic, and some of them with electric pulses to stimulate the gas flow (similar to what Celani does to his Constantan wire reactor).

I will paste the papers and or links to those that are only available as abstracts ASAP, but you will find these results are 100% reproducible, and the excess heat is beyond any possible error.

• The google guys found it very difficult to get loading higher than 0.875. They also said that measuring loading accurately was not easy - they tried several methods.

It seems possible to me that the LENR variability here (not understood) might be variability in measurement - not in obtaining high loading. it would be important to check this with the (better) experiments to check.

It is not clear what "variability" you are talking about. Your assertion is that LENR does not exist. In other words, the heat is not real.

Please explain how variability in measuring loading could affect the calorimetry. Assume for the sake of argument that the variability is a measurement problem, and not an actual difference in loading. The instruments used to measure loading have nothing to do with the thermistors and flowmeters used to measure heat. No connection at all. So how could they affect the calorimetry?

Please be specific. There are various different way to measure loading, especially the 4-wire and excess oxygen methods. Every method indicates that with low loading, there is no heat. And no helium or tritium either. So, please explain, in detail:

How can two physically different, unrelated methods of measuring loading both be wrong, and in the course of being wrong, how can they corrupt results measured by thermistors, thermocouples, thermoelectric chips in Seebeck calorimeter (three unrelated instruments that cannot have any common systematic error), and also flow meters, tritium detectors used weeks after the experiment ends, and helium detectors used in three or more labs hundreds of miles away and weeks or months later.

Also, describe what "(better) experiments" you have in mind. These experiments were done by the best experts in the world. What makes you think you know how to do them "better"?

• a reference experiment with replicable high loading (using a single cathode sample that can be broken into say 10 cathodes, with 50% used and 50% left for replication)

That would not work, for reasons beyond the scope of the discussion. But in any case, finding a single cathode that does work can take a year or two. It has to be done manually, with the methods described by Storms. You have to start with 50 to 100 cathodes. You may find one or two. If you don't find one, spend another year looking through another 100 cathodes. If you find one, it will probably work repeatedly, many times. So the success rate is 2% if you evaluate the whole process, or 100% if you evaluate starting from the time you find a working cathode.

You would know all of that if you read the literature, but of course you have not read it, so you have no idea what you are talking about.

This process could be automated so that it could be done much faster, but that would take a lot of money, which no one has. Also, the researchers I know see no point to replicating the original experiment. I don't see much point to it either. We could demonstrate it repeatedly at 100 W, the way Pons did, but you and the other skeptics would never believe it, so it would not persuade anyone, or serve any purpose.

• open cells:

Here what we need is to simulate the (as elusive as LENR) ATER at the cathode. That is difficult.

* Not going to rehash this. here. Many people on this site say ascoli and THH are wrong

You seem to be confused about the definition of an open cell. It does not mean a boil off cell. It has nothing to do with what Ascoli says. It means a cell without a recombiner. The free D2 and O2 gas leave the cell. The electrolyte gradually falls, and the salts become more concentrated. The loss of electrolyte is measured to confirm that there is no recombination in the cell.

An open cell is not necessarily physically open to the atmosphere. The escaping gas can go through a bubbler to exclude air. Or, a cell with a narrow vent at the top will not allow air back into the cell.

I do not know what "ATER" means.

• Many of the D experiments show positive against a control of H. Taht is IMHO necessary for plausibility, but not sufficient because of the very different physical properties of H and D.

Please explain how the differences between H and D can affect the calorimetry. Please be specific.

You made this assertion before, but you never explained how it might work. In particular, you never showed how the difference between and H and D might affect calorimetry outside the cell, with a flow calorimeter, Seebeck or copper sheath in an isoperibolic cell. I pointed out this problem to you many times, but you refuse to address it.

Also, please explain why calibrations with a resistance heater, or Pt-Pt electrolysis, never show any difference between heavy and light water.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.