The perpetual “is LENR even real” argument thread.

• claimed as the result of LENR transmutation is unobtainium..

The half life is too short. Yet, Cardone et al published the possible detection of a short lived Americium isotope about 20 years ago. This was done submitting ultrapure water to ultrasound.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I see I need to be exact. The amount of power at 20° C (293K) is too small to be detected by the present calorimeters but this does not mean that no power is being produced. The amount of power would continue to decrease as the temperature was further reduced. We have no reason to believe that the effect starts suddenly at a particular temperature. We simply do not have the ability to measure below a certain temperature, which would depend on the number of active sites. Zero degrees C is equal to 273.15 K.

• I quoted Ed Storms who said this in his authoritative recent summary
    Now you call this a bedtime story?

No you did not quote Ed

keep it honest THH

Ed not say

" suddenly at 290-C.." you did

suddenly in the late hours of UK time

you created a bedtime story..

as with LENR being a 'common' phenomenon..

Maybe.. just maybe..it is common in magma,, plutonic rocks

but not in the oxygen rich biosphere we live in

Your late night "suddenly" may in fact be happening with

gamma bursts in some temperature bands..

if so thats an interesting phenomenon..

there is a lot that the best brains in nuclear science don't know about

the interaction btw the electron structure and nuclear structure

"there are more things on heaven and (rare) earth..."

Observation of a Critical Charge Mode in a Strange Metal
    Quantum electronic matter has long been understood in terms of two limiting behaviors of electrons: one of delocalized metallic states, and the other of…
    arxiv.org

• We also both know that LENR observations are all over the place - about the only elemnt that has not been claimed as the result of LENR transmutation is unobtainium..

I don;t know that ...339 observed?

another late night random rhetorical assessment of LENR..

AFAIK a whole bunch of actinides have not been observed

"The approximately ninety naturally occurring elements are estimated to occur as 339 different isotopes, of which roughly 250 are stable and 35 are unstable (radioactive) with extremely long half-lives of millions of years. More than 3,000 additional radioactive isotopes have been artificially created.

• No you did not quote Ed

keep it honest THH

Ed not say

" suddenly at 290-C.." you did

I could plot graphs etc but my summary of Ed'd comment (which I quoted as justification) stands. LENR excess heat is normally non-zero and increasing with T, is zero (or too small to detect) at 290C. That implies two parts to the graph, or an exponential that just so happens to take of at room temperature. My "sudden" comment is entirely fair.

Whereas the reply to me is "Ed did not state that: your comment is unfair", with added "you are dishonest" and something about my time zone (no idea what this is about) - without quoting Ed's summary from which I draw out the room temperature inflexion point from (correctly). Probably because if those quoting me did also quote Ed's summary it would be clear why what I say is fair.

I accept that LECs - which skeptics like me definitely do not think are nuclear in origin, are an exception to this.

THH

• Yes you and everyone else on this site knows that both high energy particles and unnatural isotopes are very rare observations in connection with LENR.

How rare? How many studies have looked for unnatural isotopes, how many found them, and how many did not? As far as I know, most studies that looked for them, found them, so they are not "very rare."

• Jed, your view of causality is a bit simplistic don't you think?

Okay then. Explain why the Wright brothers did not fly on Dec. 17, 1903 because all previous flights failed. Explain why the U.S. and Russia have never launched a missile because nearly all U.S. missiles launched before 1958 failed. You are saying that failed cold fusion experiments magically reach out and invalidate successful ones, "because statistics." This seems like a misuse of statistics to me, but perhaps you will explain the causality.

• Okay then. Explain why the Wright brothers did not fly on Dec. 17, 1903 because all previous flights failed. Explain why the U.S. and Russia have never launched a missile because nearly all U.S. missiles launched before 1958 failed. You are saying that failed cold fusion experiments magically reach out and invalidate successful ones, "because statistics." This seems like a misuse of statistics to me, but perhaps you will explain the causality.

Birds, bees, arrows, and leaves in the wind made it obvious that powered flight was feasible, however the successful design for an engine made with the ‘new’ metal aluminium made it possible in practice. An engine with a sufficient power to weight ratio was the novel step. Kelvin imagined iron steam engines as the power plant, and realized that this was not going to work (requires lifting water and large amounts of fuel as well as the engine, passengers, and the actual conveyance as well). He probably did not imagine the use of a new metal more expensive than gold (at the time) and very light would become commercially and fairly cheaply available enough to build engines with.

Rockets and ballistic trajectories are not very new to humans and progress is not surprising.

• however the successful design for an engine made with the ‘new’ metal aluminium made it possible in practice. An engine with a sufficient power to weight ratio was the novel step.

I do not think so. Wilbur Wright wrote that the best, lightweight steam engines of the 1880s had sufficiently high power to weight ratios for airplanes. The engines used in the airplanes made by Maxim and Langley were certainly light enough. Furthermore, most engines made after 1910 were steel, not aluminum. Such as WWI rotary engines (Le Rhône 9C, etc.) Granted, the Wright 1906 model crank case was aluminum:

Wright Vertical 440 Engine

• I do not think so. Wilbur Wright wrote that the best, lightweight steam engines of the 1880s had sufficiently high power to weight ratios for airplanes. The engines used in the airplanes made by Maxim and Langley were certainly light enough. Furthermore, most engines made after 1910 were steel, not aluminum. Such as WWI rotary engines (Le Rhône 9C, etc.) Granted, the Wright 1906 model crank case was aluminum:

https://www.wright-brothers.or…es_&_Props/440_Engine.htm

Their mechanic learned how to machine aluminum specifically to build the necessary lightweight engine.

Here is a nice write up on the engine: https://www.wright-brothers.or…s_&_Props/1903_Engine.htm

• Their mechanic learned how to machine aluminum specifically to build the necessary lightweight engine.

Yes. I have a whole book about that! An autographed copy from the author, who recreated the engine. Apparently my book is now worth $591:

Charles E. Taylor : 1868-1956 The Wright Brothers Mechanician
    On September 20th, 1894, a young man, his wife, and new son, left Kearney, Nebraska, to start a new life in the Gem City: Dayton, Ohio. Little did he, or…
    www.amazon.com

They could not get a sufficiently light engine with a high power to weigh ratio from any automobile company. The auto companies did not have one. So they made one themselves. But other people, especially Langley, did have such engines. In 1907 and 1908 French aviators were finally beginning to get off the ground. They had far more powerful engines then the Wrights, but their propellers were poorly designed so they developed less thrust. I do not know if the 1907 French engines were made of aluminum, but anyway, lightweight steel engines were soon available.

• Au contraire, 'tis THH who would demonise us.

That is a bit sensitive. why does the whole LENR field seem so threatened when those form the outside ask - with reasons nothing to do with the quality of the work - for a higher standard of proof to accept LENR is "proven"?

I have several times - in different ways - said what these reasons are. They are nothing bad about the LENR experimenters - just what you must have when chasing a possible theory for a set of anomalies where:

• The set of anomalies is not quantitatively replicable, and often not replicable at all (e.g. TGs attempts)
    • The proposed "theory" cannot be disproved by any experiment - which biases all scientists against it
    • The proposed "theory" does not make quantitative predictions: its "allowed" results from any specific experiment cover pretty well all results.
    • The proposed theory has no clear mechanism supported by more basic theory known from other experiments

This collection of things is unusual. They might change - e.g. a post-google theoretical mechanism that makes specific predictions which could disprove it, and these pan out. Or a replicable experiment.

Anyway - those things are why scientists do not take LENR seriously without a higher level of proof than now exists. Even so, the TG stuff has effectively detoxified LENR and there are more people looking at it - on the off chance there could underneath those experiments be something very interesting. As they should - I am all for it.

All I argue here against is the overly rosy view taken here of LENR results:

1. That almost all must be real (in Jed's words - if you cannot find a non-nuclear mechanism - there is no non-nuclear "error" mechanism)
    2. That LENR is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

1. Actually is poisonous for the formation of LENR theories - it pushes people to cover a wider variety of phenomena than is required. Whereas if you take a less rosy view of things some of this stuff need not be covered

2. Makes LENR researchers, and the community that critiques them, unwilling to investigate anomalies properly.

As example of the second point:

Staker's interesting experiment. Who at ICCF (or wherever) brought up the following issues?

1. Evaporation. The data appears to show negligible evaporation from a glass tube over 42 days when the equilibrium partial pressure of H2O at 67C + the volume of exhaust gas means that there should be a large amount of exhaust water vapour. I try to justify it on the basis of non-equilibrium dynamics - but it does not pass the cat water bowl test by a large margin. This is actually - now I have worked through it- by far the most worrying issue until it is understood. Jed or somone please explain it. I am very open to some obvious answer.

2. Recombination. Seems particularly possible here where H2 and O2 are strongly mixed and Pd catalysis is possible. Recombination would have to balance evaporation for the given liquid volume fill-up rate exactly as calculated from dissassociation rate. If evaportaion was zero it would prove recombination zero. But that is hardly believable. Equally, with non-zero evaporation the idea that recombination would exactly balance it, while quantitatively possible, is too much of a coincidence to be believable.

3. H2/D2 leakage into the air gap(s) between the tubes that determine the calibration constant. That is a simple mechanism that would make D2 tubes higher temperature than H2 tubes. It works quantitatively.

All of these things are easily fixable - without extra equipment - by going over carefully all these issues and plugging the holes while the experiment is running.

Except for recombination they are not even mentioned (as possible issues) in the writeups - unless I have missed something in which case I apologise. Recombination cannot be ruled out for a new experiment of this type from the reference given. Evaporation is a weird big anomaly I don't understand. Perhaps somone else here could explain what is going on? Have I got the numbers wrong?

I know it took me a long time to worth through those issues - but I am just an interested amateur. Surely the LENR community can do a better job of critiquing its own work and so strengthen it? Maybe the many people here better at this stuff than me ( Paradigmnoia ?) could do more of this if the LENR scientists not here do not do it. Or, if they do do it, maybe publication standards for LENR journals could be higher with more requirement for points raised by peer reviewers to be at least acknowledged as unresolved - if not resolved?

OK - I have just realised Alan - that is my criticism. But I don't think it is any technical lack. It is a disinclination to look for potential errors because you all know LENR happens so why bother!

That is absolutely the LENR field's priviledge. Maybe making a working reactor is more important use of valuable resources that properly reviewing papers that simply show what you all believe anyway. But in that case note that the attitude from much of mainstream science, and relative small resources given to LENR, is not prejudice, rather a reflection of choices made by LENR scientists.

• All I argue here against is the overly rosy view taken here of LENR results:
    That almost all must be real (in Jed's words - if you cannot find a non-nuclear mechanism - there can be no non-nuclear "error" mechanism)

That is a COMPLETE misrepresentation of what I have said! I have said again and again that many cold fusion results have not been replicated, so we cannot believe them, and many others are probably wrong. I have pointed that this situation is typical of nascent science. A classic example:

Serge said of writings by Hahn and Meitner on the road to the discovery of fission, "Their early papers are a mixture of error and truth as complicated as the mixture of fission products resulting from the bombardments. Such confusion was to remain for a long time a characteristic of much of the work on uranium."

Why do you make up this horseshit about me and others? Why don't you stick to the facts, and respond to what we actually say, instead of trying to make us look like idiots by putting words in our mouths that no one would ever say? Who on EARTH would say that almost all cold fusion results must be real?!?

Also, if you cannot give a non-nuclear mechanism, then non-nuclear mechanisms are off the table. You cannot claim "there might be a mechanism" if you cannot think of any mechanism. Your statement cannot be falsified. It is like saying there might be an invisible, undetectable poltergeist. If this might be chemical, tell us what chemical reaction produces 50 MJ with 1 g of material. Also explain why a process that fuses deuterium to form helium in same ratio as plasma fusion is not fusion, and tell us what it is instead. You don't get free pass for saying "it may not be X." You have to make affirmative, testable, falsifiable statements. That's how science works.

That LENR is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

What is proven beyond doubt is very limited. Heat beyond the limits of chemistry, no chemical changes, tritium and helium. Many other claims are doubtful. You don't even believe the parts that are beyond doubt. You lump together doubts about theory with fake doubt about 160-year-old calorimetry and electrochemistry techniques. You claim that a faulty experiment by Prof. X means the Prof. X's work might by wrong, by some magical "statistical" effect, spooky action at a distance.

• After quite some time thinking about Staker's interesting experiment described in [1,2] and working things out (with various errors on the way) bit by bit I thought I would draw together my conclusions. I would be very happy for anyone else here to critique this critique!

With the Staker experiment [1,2] we have limited information about the overall experiment parameters, but enough to work them all out. This post relates to the clear "over chemical" excess heat result which is the total excess heat from an entire 42 day experiment as described in [1,2].

0.775MJ total excess energy over 46 days

3.5% excess power (average).

That 3.5% is not 3.5% of the input power. It is 3.5% of the extra input power above that given to the electroneutral voltage (is that the right term?) anyway the voltage ~1.48V/~1.52V (H2O/D2O) needed dissociate the water. The 3.5% is easily a lot more than the calculated calorimetry error, and it is shown from D2/Pd with H2/Pd and H2/Pt both acting as controls showing little difference.

Note that the "power in" is the power that heats up the electrolyte and electrodes. There is some extra power used to heat the electrodes and also monitor them. It is an elegant design. The rest of the input power goes into splitting the water.

We have no complete information about the electrolysis current (iT in [1]) averaged over the whole experiment, since it varies. There is one note in [1] which discusses increasing the electrolysis current iT from 444mA to 535mA. Also Fig 7 in [1] implies 444mA was used for some of that 46 days. I think from this we can fairly safely assume that

iT ~ 440mA

for that 46 day experiment. I will do so in the more detailed than before, with this assumption, calculations below. The conclusions are not sensitive to +/- 20% variation in this.

(1) 444mA * 1.48V = 650mW. This is quite a bit smaller than the (electrolyte heating) input power of ~3W (Fig 6 of [1]). So, most of the input power goes into heating. (Staker says he tries to minimise this by using 0,5M LiOD/LiOH and reducing electrode separation to decrease electrolyte resistance, but his experiment, as most of this type, is of course higher resistance than a topology using flat plates would be).

The Faraday constant = 9.65E4 C/Mol

46 days * 444mA = 46*24*3600*0.444 C = 1.76MC

=> 18 Mol electrons => 9 Mol H2O or D2O dissociated =

Calculated 162g water make-up needed because of dissociation energy of H2/D2 and O2.

That is larger than the 140ml max size of the syringes; either they are refilled (?) or the actual current is smaller than 444mA (we cannot really know since it could have been varied throughout the experiment to test thermal runaway etc). Anyway - 162g is the best we have to go by.

Now, looking at Staker's care to increase the calibration constant, keep conditions in cells identical, etc, he gets (as he calculates) very accurate calorimetry (with one possible uncontrolled issue, see 3. below).

But, accurate calorimetry is only one component of an accurate result. In this case for simplicity I will assume calorimetry error of 0 (again, excluding possible 3. below) - it is certainly small enough from Staker's calculations - so that it is not significant compared to the excess heat results or the potential errors noted below. For those who would rather not do this it is easy to add in calorimetry error as calculated by Staker to any other factors.

Three other factors that might lead to error are:

1. Recombination. Makes excess heat look larger than real. Decreases make-up volume. Staker follows [3] and assumes recombination does not happen. He also has evidence from the liquid balance, but this is problematic as below. [3] does not make a persuasive argument that recombination could never happen in an electrolysis experiment with a Pd electrode with specially prepared surface, given Pd has known surface-dependent catalytic properties.
    2. Evaporation. Makes excess heat look smaller than real. Increases make-up water volume.
    3. Leakage. H2/D2 leakage into air gaps. Increases temperature of D tubes versus H tubes (and therefore also calibration) because H has a higher thermal conductivity than D (by a factor of approx 1.4) and the experiment is designed to make its calibration constant determined mostly by the thermal conductivity of the gas in the air gaps between the 4 concentric tubes. So leakage could account for anything up to a 40% differnece in deltaT between the two H2/Pd, H2/Pt controls and the H2/Pd active cell. Does Staker have clear evidence making this not possible? From [1] the cell H2/D2 as kept at a positive pressure which would make leakage into the air gaps more likely, if they were not kept at a larger pressure. the air gap pressure is not stated in [1] or [2]. It is possible that the calibration after the experiment could rule out this effect: but it is not clear how this is done (if it keeps the air in the air gaps). Given the long calorimeter thermal time constant maybe the leakage time constant is smaller than this, in which case it would be difficult to distinguish.

You might think that 1. and 2. can be bounded low by the fact that the make-up volume from the syringes is exactly metered and stated equal to that calculated as needed to replace the electrolysed water. Unfortunately these two effects (if they exist) go in opposite directions. Recombination would increase the total liquid volume in the cell. Evaporation would decrease it. So all we know is the difference between the two volumes.

1. & 2. also alter the heat balance in the cell. Recombination makes the cell hotter (equivalent to excess heat). Evaporation makes the cell colder (the heat of vaporisation is lost to the calorimeter).

The magnitude of these two effects (per volume of liquid electrolyte added/taken away) are easy to calculate:

• Recombination: heat of combustion of H2O: 286kJ/mol = 16 kJ/cc H2O
    • Vaporisation: heat of vaporisation of H2O (D2O slightly different): 2.26 kJ/cc
    • (the difference - see later) 13.74kJ/cc

So recombination (adding heat) dominates over vaporisation (reducing heat) when the two cancel out the volume difference.

We cannot be sure what recombination is in this experiment. Staker has checked this one way: noting that the make-up volume (to the precision of his syringes) is 0. That is almost a good check - if the evaporation from the cell over 46 days can be assumed small it is a good check.

Can we bound evaporation? Yes! The evaporation is bounded by the partial pressure of H2O at the calorimetry temperature and the volume of dissociated gas. It could be less than this if the conditions at the elecytrolyte surface are non-equilibrium. This seems unlikely from informal comparison with other lab evaporation scenarios. You would expect quite a high rate of evaporation (up to the equilibrium partial pressure) from a liquid surface at 67C with turbulent motion from the bubbles.

The dissociated gas is from 162g water => 9 Mol => 9 Mol H2 + 9 Mol O2 => 254*18dm^3 = 432dm^3 = 432,000cc

The typical cell temperature is 67C (Figure 7 of [1]).

The partial vapour pressure of water at 67C is approx 28kPa ~ 0.28 atmosphere.

So the mass of water vapour (maximum bound) is 162*0.28 = 45g

Of course the actual water content of the exhaust gasses may be lower than this - it depends on the conditions in the cell and its topology. 46 days is quite a long time so generation of H2 and O2 may be slow enough to allow H2O to equilibrate? Intuition based on typical evaporation speed of water at 67C would seem to indicate that equilibrium partial vapour pressure is the limit here not evaporation kinematics (speed).

Worst case scenario here is therefore 45g recombination and similar evaporation, balancing the liquid level.

The excess heat is then 45g of water (recombination - vaporisation heat) => 13.74kJ/cc * 45cc = 618kJ

These figures are approximate because we do not know exactly the cell temperature nor the cell current over the entire experiment.

The evaporation calculated here is uncomfortably near to the excess heat. The figures are not accurate, so this tells us that in theory all that excess heat could come from recombination, and not be detected from make-up volume because of evaporation. Although it also seems an unlikely coincidence that these two things should be equal.

In practice:

• The magnitude of these effects means that just assuming recombination and vaporisation are insignificant here is not wise. Documenting the control runs (how long were they?) etc, and the make-up required, and the evaporation is necessary for the effect of recombination in this experiment to be dismissed.
    • Assuming recombination is zero I am very surprised that evaporation is so low. It is an anomaly I think needs to be investigated - unless I am wrong here. I am only going by informal anecdote (speed of evaporation at only 20C from cat water bowls etc) where over even one day at a much lower temperature than 67C (20C) the water level can reduce by 1cm or so. You would think that with a water/gas surface of 1cm^2 or so you might easily get up to 1g/day evaporation => the experiment is limited by equilibrium and that 45g evaporation is expected?

It does not add up which means maybe I have made a mistake, or maybe the experiment is not as it appears to be from the write-up. I have tried to decode this but you can see there is some uncertainty.

Addendum:

I have not considered syringe error. Why? Given that the total volume is small I don't need to consider it. If I did, I could look up the relative error. Probably it will be of order 1% or less? Anyway it cannot possibly be high enough to be relevant to these results.

References

[1] Staker, M. R.

How to achieve the Fleischmann-Pons heat effect,

International Journal of Hydrogen Energy,

Volume 48, Issue 5, 2023, pp 1988-2000

[2] Staker, M. R.

Coupled calorimetry and resistivity measurements, in conjunction with an emended and more complete phase diagram of the Palladium - isotopic Hydrogen system,

J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci.,

Vol 29 (2019), pp. 129-168

[3] Fleischmann, M. and M. Miles.,

The "Instrument Function" of Isoperibolic Calorimeters; Excess Enthalpy Generation due to the Parasitic Reduction of Oxygen,

Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.