The perpetual “is LENR even real” argument thread.

• The idea that somehow Pd or Ni can store astronomical amounts of H and release them suddenly to create these heat bursts by recombination is what one Russian researcher that confirms that the FPE exists unequivocally proposes,

Pd cannot suddenly release large amounts of hydrogen. That is why Pd-H and other hydrides are being developed to store hydrogen. If it could suddenly release the hydrogen, it would not be a safe method of storage. Hydrides do release more hydrogen when you heat them, but never all of the hydrogen, all at once.

In a closed cold fusion cell, if the cathode were to release a lot of hydrogen this would cause heating. The heating would happen in the headspace recombiner (catalyst). In an open cell, there is no free oxygen, so even if all of the hydrogen emerged in 10 minutes, it would not burn, and there would be no heat. It would just go out of the cell into the air. There is no oxygen and there is no recombiner, so there is no way it could ignite.

It is easy to estimate the total amount of hydrogen a palladium cathode can hold, and the heat this hydrogen can produce. It is far less than most cold fusion experiments produce. In Staker's experiment, it could not produce any heat at all, because there is no free oxygen, but if we pretend there is oxygen, we see that it can produce only 800 J. This is 142 times less than the experiment produced during the 28-hour heat burst, and 969 times less than the entire 48 day experiment produced. The heat was continuous, so there could not be any energy storage while it happened. Cold fusion continued after the burst, so the cathode could not have de-gassed. That would have stopped the cold fusion reaction.

Along the same lines, we know for sure that recombination did not cause that heat. It is far too small. So even if THH is right, and Staker is incapable of doing a grade-school level experiment in electrochemistry, recombination still cannot explain anything.

• If THH would do some electrochemistry with a D-cell battery and two paperclips, he could easily see for himself how you check for recombination and how you can be completely sure it is not happening. Or

I am not being flippant. There is a good reason I suggest paperclips. Any stiff wire will do. You form two electrodes side by side, with a geometry similar to a cold fusion cell. You might even spiral the anode around the cathode, if you are sufficiently dexterous and you have something to hold them in place. You fully submerge the electrodes in salt water. The electrode leads must be insulated. You conduct electrolysis at a power level similar to a cold fusion experiment. You will see that the oxygen bubbles go straight up to the surface of the water. They do not impinge on the cathode. So there is no way they could recombine underwater.

If you use two foil electrodes, and place the cathode just above the anode, and you turn the power way down to a level that would never produce cold fusion, you might trigger some recombination. Measure the effluent gas to confirm that, with an inverted, water-filled test tube. Of course, if there is complete recombination, no bubbles will emerge. That should be obvious.

It goes without saying that no skeptic would ever do this, or any other grade-school level experiment. THH and others will spend hours, or tens of hours, writing imaginary bullshit about recombination, but they will not spend 20 minutes learning what it is, how to detect it, and how to be sure it is not happening. It really is as easy as I have described. And people really have known this since Faraday. It is certain that Staker and the other electrochemists know it.

THH talks of "recombination" as if it is some mysterious, unpredictable, all but undetectable phenomenon that pops up out of nowhere. No one knows why! They imagine they are the first to know about it. They think the methods of detecting it do not work -- or that no one even employs these methods. This is all nonsense.

• THH talks of "recombination" as if it is some mysterious, unpredictable, all but undetectable phenomenon that pops up out of nowhere. No one knows why! They imagine they are the first to know about it

Just a circuitologist parroting of dormant (2005..)speculation by Shanahan..

ATER..,a speculative phenomenon that has never been observed in electrolytic cells.

neither the parrot nor Shanahan has any expertise in electrochemistry

.Shanahan had neither the means nor the intention to verify his ATER with experiment

" Shanahan also proposed a physical/chemical mechanism for how this shift might occur. This involved the formation of an unspecified 'special active surface state' which would promote at-the-electrode hydrogen + oxygen recombination, which would cause extra heat to be deposited at the electrode instead of at the recombination catalyst in a closed cell or being lost out the vent tube as unreacted H2 + O2 in an open cell. A surface state was proposed since (a) the cathode in these studies was Pt, which is not known to hydride under any conditions (thus no bulk hydride could be involved), and (b) the free metal surface under the growing hydrogen bubble would serve as the recombination catalyst."

Its interesting that Shanahan never came up with a speculative mechanism to explain away solid gas phase anomalous heat results and retired from his anti cold fusion crusade when these became prevalent after 2017

• So, which is it THHuxleynew , The FPE effect is a yet to be found calorimetry error, or a poorly understood phenomenon that can be developped into a disruptive energy technology if properly understood, but IYO cannot be nuclear? It cannot be all three things.

You are becoming Jedish here - forcing absolute binary choices onto the world.

Why should "it" have to be one of the other of those things? Why should "it" be restricted to those things?

If excess heat is real - it will be possible to find a reference experiment. While I am very supportive of this, suggest how recent experiments could be turned into reference experiments, you all go round in circles avoiding this:

• No-one can do it because 1 in 100 cathodes work (directly contrary to what Staker says)
    • There is no point because everyone knows LENR works
    • Making a replicable experiment cannot realistically be done because it costs $10M and even then might not work

There is a fundamental divide between the type of evidence that would convince me (and mots mainstream scientists) and the type of evidence that has convinced those in the filed who are sure LENR is real.

To be fair - I see the vast number of apparent anomalies - and I too think "surely they can't all be errors".

• The things that keeps me balanced is these (and many are the responsibility of the LENR community on this site):
    • When you examine any of them minutely they are either never repeated outliers, or they have potential mundane causes which the LENR community has rubbished and refused to check - even though checking that would be quite easy.
    • When anomalies are found, there is a refusal specifically to check all of the commonly accepted, but not necessary, assumptions. Like recombination. Like worst case distribution of heat in cell not altering calibration.
    • When you look at modern careful replications they show very low levels of anomaly (which therefore could more possibly be mistake and error)
    • A reference experiment has not yet been found. Those modern replications apparently are not suitable. How can that be true if they so definitely show LENR and are (as they claim) replicable?
    • Things like LEC which are highly interesting but no-one outside LENR field would think them nuclear are thought likely nuclear.
    • There is not yet any coherent theory that would make real predictions.
    • The UAP thing

So I remain unsure, and mostly negative, except for these things where the above comments break down:

• LEC - interesting effect clearly replicable and unexpected (but no reason to think nuclear)
    • Electron shielding, plasmonic surface effects, coherent resonances, etc. Set of things, some replicable and proven, that could potentially make nuclear reactions possible in metal lattices

I think the most fruitful thing for people here to do, if they wish to engage with others, is to realise that not everyone shares their judgements, and that those who are not invested in LENR are less likely to be biassed (though they still may be biassed) than those who are so invested. I accept there are some scientists who look at the lack of high energy products* and think that therefore LENR is vanishingly unlikely. But many just reserve judgment. those will not be swayed by "more of the same". They will be swayed by a reference experiment which is clearly anomalous and can be repeated. And that, from my POV, is entirely fair.

* If they existed we could quickly have a reference experiment - e.g. replace CR39 (less certain) by GM tubes (more certain) placed to check alphas.

UAPs and LENR

NASA has rebranded UFOs as UAPs (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena), and stated it is now interested in understanding them. Laudible. I am not saying that the belief that some UAPs are the result if aliens visiting the earth is identical to a belief in LENR, but there are similarities.

• Both hypotheses are in principle possible
    • Both hypotheses are not highly predictive (an alien craft could look like anything, and therefore explain many different otherwise anomalous aerial phenomena)
    • Both hypotheses are impossible to disprove
    • Both hypotheses are supported by "weight of evidence" arguments
    • Both hypotheses (so far) are not replicable.

There are many people who view the UAP alien spacecraft hypothesis is being quite likely, given the evidence. They will not see the last 4 points above as strong negatives. I think the same judgements about fact underlie whether you believe in LENR or not. I will bet that most here do not believe UAPs are alien spacecraft in spite of the 5% or so of UAP anomalies which meet the Jed proof test - that despite best efforts a plausible alternative explanation has been found - they seem genuine anomalies. Some however will.

It is no crime to look at unexplained UAPs and believe they must be alien spacecraft. It is however mistaken if you think that the evidence that convinces you of this must convince anyone else who looks seriously at those (truly difficult to explain) anomalies.

A skeptic like me looks at that stuff, finds the anomalies fascinating, but reckons without a crashed UFO to see that unidentified explanation is very much more likely than unidentified alien object - even if the object sightings have many common features.

Jed sees non-replicable and unpredicted science done by experts as more certain evidence than the 5% of high quality unexplained UFO sightings. I don't. I do see LENR as more likely than alien UFOs because for me the alien UFO hypothesis is a lot less likley than the LENR hypothesis. But, for Jed, all hypotheses require the same evidence, so that would not matter.

THH

• You will see that the oxygen bubbles go straight up to the surface of the water. They do not impinge on the cathode. So there is no way they could recombine underwater.

Right, except when one of

• The two electrodes are close together
    • Bubbles (and water bubbles) occur at a high enough rate for high levels of turbulence in the electrolyte

Staker, for example, has an anode grid fully enclosing his cathode and says that O2 and D2 get well mixed, even though he runs electrolysis relatively slowly.

It is notable that the "chaotic mixing" case scales asymptotically with increasing electrolysis current and hence temperature: the conditions many LENR scientists have identified as important for higher excess heat.

Jed - you make partial arguments contingent on specific conditions that manifestly do not exist in the experiments we have been talking about - and then use then to contradict me.

I have never said "recombination always happens". Nor have a every said "all anomalous LENR electrolysis results can be explained by recombination".

I have said "recombination can sometimes happen, and could happen at a higher than expected rate", so this must be considered carefully in each case, not ruled out based on some other experiment, or different phase of the same experiment.

I hope you can see the logical gaps in your arguments.

• ATER..,a speculative phenomenon that has never been observed in electrolytic cells.

Let us just say that the evidence for it is similar to that for LENR. Indirect (that excess heat which cannot otherwise be explained).

While ATER has not been directly observed - it is quite plausible given that Pd is a good catalyst.

Of course, I have no idea whether it does exist. However recombination is a known phenomenon in LENR experiments (and others). I think it would be a brave person who could be sure without specific checking what its level will be for some different experiment, or even same experiment with different current (and therefore mixing) or different electrode.

• Its interesting that Shanahan never came up with a speculative mechanism to explain away solid gas phase anomalous heat results and retired from his anti cold fusion crusade when these became prevalent after 2017

No. I however, having spent more time observing Rossi's antics, do have such a mechanism.

The "Rossi" effect. rossi's apparent results led many people to think "no smoke without fire".

• Ni-H is easier for many people to use than Pd-H - so more inexperienced experimenters join the ring
    • Gas-phase calorimetry at high temperatures has subtle artifacts from radiative losses dependent on surface albedo

But I am glad you are making the case for strong evidence from gas-phase calorimetry. Where is it? I have looked with interest at a lot an dnever yet found it. My understanding is that many of these results are replicable - which makes such experiments prime candidates for the missing reference?

if, that is, the results hold up.

• THHuxleynew

You are wrong to focus entirely on ATER, a never-verified exothermic process, when there is a well-known and much verified endothermic process present at some levels in elextrochemical systems, that is the spontaneous generation of H2O2. Aspects of this are used to manufacture this (see Manchot anthroquinone process) and more.

Chemistry is more complex that you think.

At some level it is known to work in pure water + electrolyte systems of many types.

• Gas-phase calorimetry at high temperatures has subtle artifacts from radiative losses dependent on surface albedo

Not necessarily.

1)The Jacques Ruer transpiration calorimeter recovers more than 99% of its input energy in the passing air stream.

2) all calorimeters undertake painstaking calibration procedures to track all relative heat flows under controlled conditions which are also followed under test conditions.

In the first case above there are simply no losses to correct for. In the second case all losses are accounted for via pre and post test calibration runs.

I find it hard to comprehend what possible scenario you could imagine where the purported error would be relevant in a proper calorimetric system.

Could you hand hold me a bit and walk me through your thoughts?

• We've already litigated this.

So long as you refuse to look carefully at the work that has been suggested to you, you have no right to make binary, reductive and absolute claims like the above. Moreover, you have no right to lecture others in the verbose and condescending manner that you sometimes lapse into.

I know you're sincere, and well meaning, but that doesn't mean you get to rehash the same tropes again and again. You undermine your own position by opting not to look at credible answers to your prior requests for a reference experiment. It lapses into farce when you then ignore your own prior behaviour and pretend as if it never occurred.

• Certainly Daniel,

In the papers I have read on Ni-H excess heat no proper calorimeters have been used. I would be happy for you to point me to open papers that do this: it is certainly possible.

I agree entirely, proper calorimetry can produce accurate results in many circumstances.

I disagree slightly about painstaking calibration. All calibration depends on conditions in calorimeter being the same calibration and control. There are many scenarios where some subtle change in conditions (what it might be depending on the calorimeter) alters things even after painstaking calibration. Jones & Hansen give an example of this point fairly in a reply [1] to Miles [2] that accuracy and precision are not identical. Precision can easily be calculated, and tested. Accuracy always requires assumptions that conditions do not change between calibration and active experiment.

The accuracy of Miles' heat measurements depends on the assumption that the temperature measured by a point sensor accurately represents the average temperature of the calorimeter wall. This can only be tested by checking the calorimeter calibration with a standard chemical reaction with a well-known heat effect. Electrolysis is not an acceptable standard reaction. It has now been over 2 years since our critique2 of Miles' calorimetry appeared, but we have not seen any attempt by Miles to verify the accuracy (as opposed to precision) of his calorimeters. During that time we have done further work 5 that supports the conclusions in our critique of Miles' work. We have built and operated calorimeters similar to Miles' and shown that heat measurements made with such calorimeters are usually precise, but subject to large systematic errors if stirring is inadequate to validate the above assumption. This is particularly true for experiments involving high heat rates such as are obtained at the high currents used by Miles.

So my thought in specific cases would depend on all of the details of the specific cases.

For [3] https://jcmns.scholasticahq.co…-of-air-flow-calorimetry:

Although the basic principle is simple, the accuracy of the method is influenced by many factors. We will show that

AFC is able to deliver meaningful results with a careful calibration. This paper is an overview of the main parameters

involved in air flow calorimetry, the possible problems that may affect the accuracy and the potential solutions to solve

these problems.

In [3] the summary of potential errors is fair - with one possible source not mentioned: potential radiative, convective, or conductive transfer from reactor surface, or heated inner baffles, to the output TC. This obviously can quite easily be minimised: but that needs careful checking. In [3] the following things can limit accuracy even with an (achievable) 99% heat capture:

• errors in air speed measurement
    • errors in input temperature measurement
    • errors in output temperature measurement

[1] Steven E. Jones,, Lee D. Hansen, and, David S. Shelton. An Assessment of Claims of Excess Heat in Cold Fusion Calorimetry. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 1998, 102 (18) , 3647-3647. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp962038x

[2] Reply to “Examination of Claims of Miles et al. in Pons−Fleischmann-Type Cold Fusion Experiments”

Melvin H. Miles The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 1998 102 (18), 3642-3646 DOI: 10.1021/jp961751j

• So long as you refuse to look carefully at the work that has been suggested to you, you have no right to make binary, reductive and absolute claims like the above. Moreover, you have no right to lecture others in the verbose and condescending manner that you sometimes lapse into.

I apologise for my manner. But I have every right to pontificate in a verbose manner here - just as Jed has a right, which he exercises repeatedly, to insult me and make false claims about my errors. I mean - I make errors. but Jed assumes everything I say is an error and insults me with it - even when his comments are obviously incorrect (as I show).

You might imagine that my verbiosity comes from this continual barrage of inaccurate insults. And I have every right to reply to them.

reductive and absolute claim?

If excess heat is real - it will be possible to find a reference experiment.

I used a future tense (look, more verbiosity and pontification, but you, too, encourage it).

is my statement really reductive and absolute? It is not a very strong statement because I do not say when it will be possible to do this.

Take the counterfactual:

Even if excess heat is real, It will never be possible to find a reference experiment.

Suppose it is true - you are saying that it might plausibly be true. That means, for example:

• There will never be commercially useful LENR (could simply be repurposed into a reference experiment)
    • None of the current experiments (e.g. the ones Daniel is doing) are both certain and replicable

Now that seems to me reductionist and absolute.

• You undermine your own position by opting not to look at credible answers to your prior requests for a reference experiment.

I have opted to look at what was posted - but while I can idly and quickly post stuff now I cannot spend the length of time needed to do that yet. I have given my time frame and would only undermine my position on that thread if I did not meet it.

Unless you meant something other than "Jed's 3 best"? I think I looked at anything else proposed.

• You are becoming Jedish here - forcing absolute binary choices onto the world.

Why should "it" have to be one of the other of those things? Why should "it" be restricted to those things?

I am just coming back to you from the very arguments you use to cast doubts in every aspect of what we discuss at LENR-forum. You either use the “is a systematic error that you haven’t found” or “is real but is not nuclear”. I brought up Galushkin results precisely because he kills the “systematic error” argument, as he claims to be able to reproduce the FPE consistently, and also because he goes around telling this not as support for the nuclear origin but as support for his own assertion that this is because Pd and Ni have a miracle like capacity of storage of D or H in the electrodes that leads to sudden periodical release of heat bursts and that this is what we need to focus on as a revolutionary energy storage technology. Arguments about Galushkin idea of excess heat explaining mechanism have already been raised so so I won’t repeat them. I just use his example because it shoots down the systematic error myth.

So, you yourself got into that corner.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• THHuxleynew

You are wrong to focus entirely on ATER, a never-verified exothermic process, when there is a well-known and much verified endothermic process present at some levels in elextrochemical systems, that is the spontaneous generation of H2O2. Aspects of this are used to manufacture this (see Manchot anthroquinone process) and more.

Chemistry is more complex than you think.

At some level it is known to work in pure water + electrolyte systems of many types.

And you ignored this.

• I have opted to look at what was posted - but while I can idly and quickly post stuff now I cannot spend the length of time needed to do that yet. I have given my time frame and would only undermine my position on that thread if I did not meet it.

Unless you meant something other than "Jed's 3 best"? I think I looked at anything else proposed.

I was referring to our previous exchange re: codeposition. Please see the below post:

• If excess heat is real - it will be possible to find a reference experiment.

All experiments include a reference experiment. That's called "calibration."

No-one can do it because 1 in 100 cathodes work (directly contrary to what Staker says)

No one ever said that. Where very few cathodes work, they need to be tested before doing the experiment. Storms, Cravens, Fleischmann and others described how to test them.

Making a replicable experiment cannot realistically be done because it costs $10M and even then might not work

All cold fusion are replicable, and all have been replicated. You asked for an easily replicated one. That's different. That would be desirable in many ways. The LEC may be easily replicated. However, easy replication has never been held as a reason to believe an experiment. Many experiments, and many technologies such as rockets, are extremely difficult to replicate. You would never say these other things do not exist. You say that only about cold fusion.

• I have never said "recombination always happens". Nor have a every said "all anomalous LENR electrolysis results can be explained by recombination".

Yes, you never said that. You think that LENR results both with electrolysis and gas loading are wrong, but you have not tried to explain away all of them by recombination. You have given other reasons. You explain away Staker's results by recombination. That is incorrect because his heat far exceeds the limits of recombination, and Staker would see there is recombination, so he would not be fooled.

I have said "recombination can sometimes happen, and could happen at a higher than expected rate", so this must be considered carefully in each case, not ruled out based on some other experiment, or different phase of the same experiment.

If it happened at any rate, expected or unexpected, it would be detected, and accounted for. It is easy to detect. No one rules it out. It can be ruled out in a different phase of an experiment when there is no electrolysis, such as with heat after death.

But you are wrong. It cannot "sometimes" happen. People take steps to ensure it is not happening, but in fact it cannot happen. If you disagree, I suggest you list three cold fusion experiments where it did happen, and also demonstrate with a simple electrolysis experiment how it happened, as I described above. It is true that Steve Jones made it happen, but the configuration was different and the power was about 1000 times lower than any cold fusion experiment would need.

• ou explain away Staker's results by recombination. That is incorrect because his heat far exceeds the limits of recombination, and Staker would see there is recombination, so he would not be fooled.

I really want to leave this - but i'm a sucker for Jed saying false things I can correct. here goes:

1) I do not try to explain away Staker's results (all of them) via recombination. We agree the burst heat after higher temps cannot be so explained. In fact I initially did not look at that closely, you pointed it out, I agreed with you (and thanked you). Evidence that I change my mind and admit error. something i'd more of on this site.

2) It is true that the amount of possible recombination, undetected because Staker does (it seems) not bother to detect evaporation, is about the same as the excess heat results. That would be close to 100% recombination - but Staker has quite an unusual electrode setup and runs his experiment slowly, it is in theory possible.

3) You argue that very high recombination is not possible. But with no evidence it is impossible. Just "it does not usually happen at high rates". That is not enough when comparing it with LENR, which also does not usually happen (well - skeptics would say there is as yet no evidence it happens at all). It si circular argument to say LENR happens, if you reckon already that LENR happens. So recombination must be checked. Staker did NOT check it - for the quite complex reasons I have previously pointed out. That is, he does not say he checks it, but also he does not do the measurements needed to check it and his methodology makes that difficult. So it is pretty clear he does not check it.

4) In fact, in spite of all that - I don't THINK recombination is an issue for Staker. But I now do not trust his results because what he says in his paper is not exactly possible, you have to suppose he does something different to make things work from what he says like adjusting the fill-up to account for different evaporation at different temps. That is not what he says he does, and in fact he explicitly says he presets fill-up rate based on tables. So while many things are good about his approach all the details do not add up and in that situation his work cannot be trusted.

As often, the real situation, and my views, are complex. (I mean - my views may not be identical to what is real - but both are complex in this case).

The key difference between us is this: you say:

"Staker would see there is recombination, so he would not be fooled"

I say:

"In Staker's system calculated evaporation is about equal the amount of recombination that would deliver the stated excess heat. Staker dismisses evaporation is small and does not measure it. Therefore he might well miss recombination."

Your view is based on "what usually happens" and "Staker is a good electrochemist" and "scientists never make mistakes of that type".

Well I have no reason based on qualifications to think Staker is a particularly experienced electrochemist. His work has been in Material Science. So he could easily have made a mistake: we will never know because the details of his experiment cannot be identical to his write-up, and therefore are undocumented.

My view in any case, unlike yours, ignores qualifications. It is based on a detailed (more so than you) reading of his two linked papers + (limited) personal communication.

THH

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.