Improved version of my paper "How to fix global warming with cold fusion"

• Several people offered valuable suggestions and corrections to my paper:

How to fix global warming with cold fusion

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJhowtofixgl.pdf

I thank them all. I would welcome MORE suggestions!

I went through my notes and added an Appendix estimating the cost of the megaproject. It was cheaper than I thought. It would cost about as much as we pay for carbonated beverages per year. For a little more than we spend on fizzy drinks, we can reverse global warming and improve the quality of forests.

I added another Appendix describing the likely cost and performance of drone wood chipping machines. It turns out my knowledge of drones was way out of date. I looked at the specifications for a 1 kg Autel EVO II drone. This is a commercial or “enterprise” drone. The motor produces 140 W. I assume a flying cutting tool would resemble this. It would clamp onto a tree, and then use the entire 140 W to cut wood.

How much can you cut with 140 W? I looked up how much energy a Diesel wood chipping machine uses. It is ~49 J primary energy per gram of wood. Then I cut 1 cm chunks from a two-by-four into simulated wood chips. I used a Black & Decker jigsaw with a KUMAN power meter. When it reached 0.010 kWh (36,000 J) I stopped cutting and measured how much wood was cut. It was 237 g. That's 152 J/g electrical energy. As expected, it is far less efficient than a big wood chipping machine. I assume a 140 W cutting machine would be roughly as efficient as the jigsaw.

• Hi Jed.

I notice Arpa-E has some tree-related funding interests- not yet fundable but they are looking.

ARPA-E: Innovating Through Unconventional Ideas

01/09/2020

… separation of dissolved inorganic carbon from the ocean to produce a CO2 stream - Advanced trees and other engineered biological systems for carbon sequestration - Innovative deep ocean … reduce the energy intensity of primary metals production or scrap metal recycling - Advanced trees (or other plants) as high-performance, durable structural materials (far beyond existing …

Earlier this year, ARPA-E announced funding for a range of the most innovative and unconventional ideas across the energy technology spectrum, exploring high-risk R&D that could lead to the development of disruptive technologies. The topics explored under this opportunity are not part of existing ARPA-E programs, but if successful could establish new program areas for ARPA-E to further explore.

• Slightly creepy.

LIVING CARBON – SAN FRANCISCO, CA

INCREASING CARBON DRAWDOWN AND RETENTION IN TERRESTRIAL BIOMASS USING BIOENGINEERED TREES - $500,000

The rate of photosynthetic assimilation and decay of lignocellulosic biomass currently limits carbon drawdown and retention in terrestrial biomass. Living Carbon is developing innovative methods to reduce the susceptibility of vegetative biomass to decay by lignin-eating fungi, thereby reducing the rate of release of carbon dioxide back to the atmosphere through fungal respiration. Living Carbon’s trees resist fungal decay through absorbing small amounts of nickel and copper from the soil and depositing these metals in their xylem (wood) tissue as they grow, which offers a biological strategy to mimic the pressure treatment process that forces copper-based preservatives into lumber to increase its longevity. If these results translate at scale, these trees will improve carbon drawdown on the gigaton scale when planted in managed forests, and lumber from these trees may not require costly and emissions-intensive pressure treatment.

• For a little more than we spend on fizzy drinks,

and non fizzy drinks....as well..

the amount of $ spent on 'pure' water in PET bottles has likely increased to 3 billion $ in Australia

especially during the Covid years,,...over $100/person

No one drinks water from a tap anymore...

3 billion$ could pay for a lot of LENR

Bottled Water - Cool Australia
    Where do we start? Okay, put your hand up if you are happy to pay more than 1,000 times over the cost for anything. No hands showing? Now put your hand up
    www.coolaustralia.org

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.