How can we add 'Glamour' to LENR Research ? (ED Storms)

• I just watched on YOUTUBE Sabine Hossenfelder's video

Cold Fusion is Back (there's just one problem) - YouTube Like hot fusion it doesn't work.

Sabine's effort is a good one. In the notes Sabine recommends a history of cold fusion. I provided the link below. Look down a way in the article to get to point where a bet is made as to which will be proven false first: superluminal neutrinos or Rossi's cold fusion. After that point there is a fairly good history of cold fusion.

Risk, Reputation and LENR (arxiv.org)

What do you think of the other notes?

• According to Sabine the issue is that fusion is expected to produce gamma at 2.5 MeV but the LENR reaction produces a BROAD energy spectrum nowhere near 2.5 MeV. So how could the reaction be produced by Fusion.

Sabine goes on to explain how much work is being done to find a way to increase the likelihood that fusion will occur. But maybe the reaction is caused by something OTHER than fusion that naturally produces a broad radiation spectrum. Now how tragic would it be to follow the fusion illusion for decade after decade when the cause of the reaction is something completely OTHER than fusion.

• Let's not forget what was said in the panel discussion at the start of ICCF-24.

"Three Wise Men" Discuss the Future of LENR In ICCF24 Panel

Ask the experts: Solid-state fusion energy isn’t 30 years away

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA — Matt Trevithick, DCVC, moderated a panel at ICCF24, “Given what we know now, what should we do next?” featuring esteemed solid-state fusion experts Dr. David Nagel, George Washington University; Prof. Robert Duncan, Texas Tech University; and Dr. Thomas Schenkel, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

The purpose of the panel was to present evidence that solid-state fusion energy is no longer 30 years away. In fact, we may be on the brink of realizing it. Trevithick outlined progress such as Google’s Project Charleston and the fact that fusion has become fashionable, with $5 billion in private investment in fusion companies in just the last two years. He also applauded the Fusion Industry Association and ARPA-E’s growing interest in and investment in the field.

“ARPA-E dropped some huge news: there is a teaming announcement, but equally important, for the first time, they announced there’s going to be a funding opportunity announcement as early as August—this is tectonic,” Trevithick said.

Trevithick outlined the spectrum of fusion, from tokamaks, the most scientifically proven but most difficult to engineer and scale, to solid-state fusion, the least scientifically proven but fastest and least expensive to scale. There’s a race going on to make solid-state fusion viable. “My personal reason for being here is that I believe we could be on the cusp of discovering the transistor of energy,” he said.

Trevithick then introduced the “Three Wise Men” panel, noting that Nagel, Duncan, and Schenkel are “some of my intellectual heroes in this field.”

Each of the panelists answered four questions:

1. Describe one or two experimental results that cause you to remain interested in LENR.

2. If you had $10 million over 2 years to invest in LENR, what would you do?

3. Which experiment would you most like to see compete for the Solid-State Fusion Prize?

4. What advice do you have for an early career scientist or engineer interested in LENR?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• "Three Wise Men" Discuss the Future of LENR In ICCF24 Panel

TM 37.45

" $10 billion a year, sitting out there for this community to exploit, based on the science, "

Lots of ifs, okay, so there's business opportunity. So, my advice is - -- is learn the fundamentals of either science,

or engineering, or business, and apply it in this field for the good of humankind, Okay?

Three months +since ICCF24.... that means $3 billion is still sitting there..with the other 7 billion

If only they'd brought some gold and frankincense...rather than platitudes

three wise men from www.bibleinfo.com

• Oliver Stone’s “Nuclear”

LENR needs to keep up with the play..

like #COP27 etc

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

TM24:49

at least in these two countries(France,Spain)

there's like one of the problems

regarding public acceptance of nuclear energy is

that it represents this type of centralized energy production

like this future power plants with the big gigantic elements

and I think that's scary to people

like it's a high density  centralized energy production

which is controlled by the state of big companies

I think this is one of the problems of public acceptance and my question is

how will you deal with the public on this especially in Europe ???

• I thought that the experiments function was to verify and extend the theory.

I think you got it backwards. The experiments are for observation of phenomena and gathering information. From them you can device hypothesis that eventually can be developed to a theory, but if the experiment refutes your

theory, no matter how in love with it you are, you should go back to square one and develop a better hypothesis to explain the observations.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Certainly Hollywood can give an allure of glamour to everything, if it wants. I have one thread devoted to Hollywood mentions, be it direct or indirect, of "Cold Fusion" and these two movies are there, among others.

I liked Sabine's video on Cold Fusion, bear in mind she consulted with Florian Metzler for it. I added my own response in the comments, now lost in the crowd, where I mentioned the increasing amount of replications, and I got an answer to it from Florian Metzler asking where that information is, I think he needs to dig deeper in LENR-CANR.org and also in LENR-Forum.com

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Please axil refrain from derailing the thread with your questioning of the theoretical background, you already have a thread for your EVO discussion.

This thread is about adding "glamour" to LENR research.

Back to that matter, plenty of good ideas have been already presented here. The letter being proposed with a list of signatures of people with weight in their own fields is my favorite. I think we can achieve that milestone with the coordinated effort of LENR-Forum members and their network of contacts.

• This is a little bit off topic, because it looks back rather than looking forward, but it's a great piece of history.

I think few people realise that the UK's Financial Times newspaper was actually FIRST to break the cold fusion story back in '89 because MartinF gave Clive Cookson (the author and an acquaintance) an exclusive in advance of the Utah press conference. This meant the FT was thus able to break the story 'on same the day'.

Why was that? Fleischmann and Clive's Professor father were friends and colleagues in the Chemistry department at Southampton. This is the tale..pasted in here as it might be paywalled.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Clive Cookson AUGUST 17 2012

OBITUARY. -The death early this month of the electrochemist Martin Fleischmann at the age of 85 stirred memories of the “cold fusion” affair 23 years ago – and my role in reporting it.

The claim by Fleischmann and his scientific partner Stanley Pons to have achieved nuclear fusion in a simple electrochemical cell on their lab bench caused a sensation. If confirmed, the discovery could have led to unlimited clean power. Until then, fusion – the reaction that powers the sun and the H-bomb – had been the province of multi-million-pound research reactors unlikely to produce commercial power for another 50 years.

Unfortunately, cold fusion turned out to be an unpredictable and uncontrollable phenomenon at best, and at worst an illusion. It is no longer mentioned in polite scientific society – although, rebadged as “low energy nuclear reaction” or LENR, it remains under investigation at several labs around the world, from Italy and Japan to the US. Usually, a pair of inventors making such an extraordinary claim would be dismissed as deluded crackpots – but the world paid attention to Fleischmann and Pons because they were respected professors with excellent records in chemistry research.

I knew Fleischmann, then aged 62, as a colleague of my father, Richard Cookson. Both had been chemistry professors at Southampton University. On Palm Sunday 1989, soon after I had joined the FT, Fleischmann phoned from the US and breathlessly asked to speak to me in confidence. He wanted advice about how to reveal to the world what he believed would be one of the biggest research breakthroughs of the century. He was both excited and upset, because the University of Utah, where he was working on cold fusion with Pons, wanted to hold a press conference in five days’ time to announce their breakthrough. Fleischmann, on the other hand, felt the press conference would be premature, because they hadn’t yet submitted their work to a peer-reviewed journal, the conventional means of disseminating research.

I advised him to resist the pressure, but on Tuesday he called again to tell me that he had failed. The university was apparently motivated by patent concerns and rumours that a researcher at Brigham Young University had made a similar discovery, so there would be a press conference two days later, on Thursday. I could not fly to Salt Lake City for the occasion, so Fleischmann offered to give me the information in advance, under embargo, so that the FT could publish it on Friday, like other newspapers. Then I realised that the FT, unlike its competitors, does not come out on Good Friday. So I persuaded Martin to let me publish the story in Thursday’s paper, on the grounds that cool, calm coverage in the FT would help to set the tone for the press conference later that day. He agreed and faxed over some technical information, including a diagram of the Utah apparatus, where fusion had apparently taken place between deuterium (heavy hydrogen) atoms absorbed in a palladium electrode. He also accepted that a story with such sensational implications – and no peer review – required third-party endorsement. So he put me in touch with Mick Lomer, head of the UK Atomic Energy Authority’s fusion lab, who knew of the Utah experiment and gave me a short statement that his lab was taking it seriously and would try to reproduce the experiment. The scoop duly appeared in the FT, with a front page story and more inside the paper.

The worldwide scientific frenzy lasted a few months but died away as other labs failed to get positive results or found cold fusion too capricious to pursue. Fleischmann and Pons carried on for several years, with funding from the Japanese auto giant Toyota, but even they could not tame cold fusion.

Today LENR – cold fusion – remains mysterious. No one knows whether hydrogen nuclei can really fuse in an electrochemical cell, whether another nuclear process is taking place or whether any excess heat is an experimental artefact. Some big US companies and government agencies are still following the field. For instance, a new report by Boeing for Nasa, includes LENR among the options for powering a future generation of “ultra green aircraft”. But no commercial LENR device has yet been demonstrated in public.

• Is not really off topic, since the UK FT is a very likeable candidate to be a channel of the proposed letter to gain support for LENR, and knowing that historically it has been involved in the topic, adds to the Glamour Allure.

• It seems the best course of action would be to for forum members to submit and revise various versions of key discoveries or historical views of the progress of LENR. Alternatively, we could share various versions of research proposals and allow other to revise them. Honestly, if we cannot decide where LENR has come from or where it is going, we might as well just wait for Hot fusion which now claims it time has finally come.

• Honestly, if we can decide

(not) decide,?, the hot fusion NIF hype was part of the feel good xmas season..

latest NIf results..500 MJ of laser energy used to deliver 1.9 MJ of energy to target with 2.5 MJ fusion energy out

COP<1.002? that's why the hype is needed.

when there is solid replicated LENR with COP>4..... no hype will be needed

• It seems the best course of action would be to for forum members to submit and revise various versions of key discoveries or historical views of the progress of LENR. Alternatively, we could share various versions of research proposals and allow other to revise them.

That is what David started the forum for. To become the community water cooler for everyone to gather around to discuss, and further the science. It was slow at first, but in the last couple years (thanks in large part to Alan S) we have really made progress. It is now the norm, and not the exception, to host in depth explorations into just about every facet of LENR...including the history.

Not sure we are at the stage of open sourcing research proposals yet, and allowing others to edit like at Wiki as you hope, but maybe someday.

• Here is a link for COP > 4 based on injection of the electrical energy of a capacitor into water.

Production of fuel with COP above 1 (electric energy input/heat energy output) patent about to expire in 2021 - Page 7 - General LENR Talks - LENR Forum (lenr-forum.com)

Perhaps we agree on a list of simple examples of LENR.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.