Google gets Glow-Discharge to work.

• Investigation of light ion fusion reactions with plasma discharges
    T. Schenkel*, 1, A. Persaud1

*corresponding author, [email protected]

Abstract
    The scaling of reaction yields in light ion fusion to low reaction energies is important for our
    understanding of stellar fuel chains and the development of future energy technologies. Experiments
    become progressively more challenging at lower reaction energies due to the exponential drop of fusion
    cross sections below the Coulomb barrier. We report on experiments where deuterium-deuterium (D-D)
    fusion reactions are studied in a pulsed plasma in the glow discharge regime using a benchtop apparatus.
    We model plasma conditions using particle-in-cell codes. Advantages of this approach are relatively high
    peak ion currents and current densities (0.1 to several A/cm2
    ) that can be applied to metal wire cathodes
    for several days. We detect neutrons from D-D reactions with scintillator-based detectors. For palladium
    targets, we find neutron yields as a function of cathode voltage that are over 100 times higher than yields
    expected for bare nuclei fusion at ion energies below 2 keV (center of mass frame). A possible
    explanation is a correction to the ion energy due to an electron screening potential of 1000±250 eV, which
    increases the probability for tunneling through the repulsive Coulomb barrier. Our compact, robust setup
    enables parametric studies of this effect at relatively low reaction energies.1905.03400.pdf

• We've known since ZETA (late 1950s) that flying neutrons doesn't equal fusion.

The Farnsworth-Hirsch Fusor produced neutrons in the 1960s - but wasn't fusion (despite what the online "Build a Fusor in your shed" crowd seem to think).

Even JJThomson, in 1913, had evidence that his X3 (3He?) gas was coming from the eroding cathode material, along with Helium and Neon.

We seem to be stuck on an ever rotating merry-go-round. :|

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• We've known since ZETA (late 1950s) that flying neutrons doesn't equal fusion.

They act like neutrons, and they smell like neutrons, but they are possibly what Edward Teller called 'meshugganons' (meshugga = Yiddish, look it up!) I know another researcher who experienced what looked like a huge neutron flux during a glow-discharge experiment but it obviously was not, because he survived. William Collis is interested in what he calls 'exotic neutral particles' - which could be the same thing, but he has not yet got experimental proof. See also 'Bush and Eagleton'. papers

• They act like neutrons, and they smell like neutrons, but they are possibly what Edward Teller called 'meshugganons' (meshugga = Yiddish, look it up!) I know another researcher who experienced what looked like a huge neutron flux during a glow-discharge experiment but it obviously was not, because he survived. William Collis is interested in what he calls 'exotic neutral particles' - which could be the same thing, but he has not yet got experimental proof. See also 'Bush and Eagleton'. papers

The giant slow Cold Neutrinos that Alexander Parkhomov talks about?

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• it remembered me the past an ICCF past in Italia where i have been jostled by an "great" MFMP member who wanted to hear the first the Parkhomov's early "speeches", fully in Parkhomania's time.

That make me smile today because i well know he never got anything as XSH this way.

Not because this way was bad, rather because he knew very little, too much about it.

• I don’t get married to ideas, I was just making a connection between

They act like neutrons, and they smell like neutrons

and the proposal of Parkhomov. That Bob is intense, I can’t argue against it, but I don’t hold it against him. If I recall correctly, if not at that precise ICCF, but in other where he presented on behalf of Parkhomov, he was undergoing a bad episode of gout in his hip, and limping around with a cane.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Stratified glow discharge (aka Safire project?)

Summer 2022 the team http://eth21.ru/index.html reported success achieving low temperature LENR

Related page http://eth21.ru/index.html

slides English

http://eth21.ru/20221228/NeutronsTNLT_Zaitsev_Godin_20221228.pdf

In Dec 2022 video presentation the author reports that LENR effect was achieved due to resonant stratas in glow discharge thus in my opinion making it the same as Safire Project's

Early mentions of the effect by the Russians after shallow google search

Spherical stratification of a glow discharge
    Spherically symmetrical strata (striation) in a dc glow discharge were discovered. Experiments were carried out in a low-pressure steel chamber that served as…
    journals.aps.org

• Neutron Generators - a review by Lawrence Berkeley National Labs

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2012/ph241/klopfer2/docs/LBNL-4426E.pdf

Currently available neutron sources and future options are evaluated within the
    parameter space of the neutron generator/source requirements as currently understood
    and summarized in section 2. Applicable neutron source technologies are described in
    section 3. Commercially available neutron generators and other source options that
    could be made available in the near future with some further development and
    customization are discussed in sections 4 and 5, respectively. The pros and cons of the
    various options and possible ways forward are discussed in section 6. Selection of the
    best approach must take a number of parameters into account including cost, size,
    lifetime, and power consumption, as well as neutron flux, neutron energy spectrum, and
    pulse structure that satisfy the requirements of the NDA instrument to be built.

• So where do Fusor neutrons come from, if they are not fusion neutrons?

Firstly, going back to ZETA, the researchers should have already known that neutrons could emerge from deuterium plasma experiments at conditions below which fusion was possible - as they were told as much by Igor Kurchatov, during his visit to Harwell in 1956.

Read his speech here: kurchatov_1956.pdf

At that time Kurchatov was still undecided about the main source of the neutrons - whether they were the products of spallation from plasma/container interaction, or whether they were coming directly from the squeezed & heated plasma, through the direct splitting of the deuterons.

When Harwell eventually retracted its claim, it put the blame on spallation from the container walls. This also seemed to be the preferred explanation of US researchers who had encountered the same phenomenon.

It seems that Kurchatov had come to the other conclusion - as a result of his own experiments - and informed Harwell of this. However, Igor Kutchatov's health was rapidly declining at that point (possibly due to complications from previous radiation exposure) and he died shortly after. (n.b. I'm still looking for a better reference source for this later communication, if anyone here can help.)

Of course the "agreement" by hot fusion researchers across the world (including those active in the Soviet Union) that spallation, and not deuterium fission, was the source of the neutrons, was financially expedient - in that it implied hot fusion was still possible, as long as someone found a way to ensure the plasma never touched the walls of the reactor.

Had the "deuterium plasma fission" idea been accepted - then it might have killed the entire field of research before 1960. After all, fusion would be impossible if the deuterium plasma simply shed all its neutrons, at a relatively low temperature, and all you had left was a bunch of protons (i.e. hydrogen plasma).

Getting back to the Fusor; this device would seem to have an advantage over the magnetic confinement devices, as the charge gradient should ensure that the plasma is kept well away from the walls. Yes, there might be spallation from plasma contact with the "cage", but this should have a smaller effect when compared to the walls of a Tokomak or Z-Pinch machine. Unfortunately, though, we still have lots of neutrons being emitted - even though the plasma temperatures are too low for thermonuclear D-D fusion.

My guess (and it is still only a guess) is that the ailing Igor Kurchatov's idea of "deuterium plasma fission" was correct - and that the performance of Fusors is actually evidence of that happening.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited 2 times, last by Frogfall ().

• Abstract from this Kurtchatov paper below:

Therefore, if one were able to devise a method of heating the plasma with practically no thermal losses,
    even a low-p6wer energy som cc could be used to induce interne thermonuclear Processes. The main problem is
    to exclude heat losses,

My parallel remark...The previous Focardi's reactor started XSH from 70°... 8)

• Unfortunately, the Zeitsev & Godin slides haven't exactly filled me with confidence.

As you get to the conclusions, you see:

4 & 5: Unless the research is specifically aimed at trying to prove, or refute, the existence of an "ether", its very appearance in any reasoning or speculation is a sign that conventional theory has been abandoned at some point. I'm all for questioning conventional theories - but the questioning then has to be central to the research itself, not just a convenient add-on. It would be like including Phlogiston, as a possible explanation for something, and still expecting to retain credibility.

6: Similarly with questions about gravity. This would be (and has often been) a complex research topic in its own right. Just throwing questions about gravity into other research topics, when those topics already have plenty of existing areas for useful experimentation, does not induce confidence in the researchers' abilities to focus.

Then we get to this:

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.