Ed Storms Pre-print on Cold Fusion, Materials and Gaps. Comments Please!

• That paper from RNBE 2016 (above) is very interesting

It was a one-off mini-explosion..apparently Didier Grass after several years thought it might be

caused by LENR

• He is still alive close to 80 yo.. A very humble guy , simple, not a kind of excited professor we see here or a

Kazakh psychiatric case. So i highly investigated around this case :)

To me, they is more engineering tricks to retain in this case than in P&F.

It was a one-off mini-explosion..apparently Didier Grass after several years thought it might be

caused by LENR

• Jed. I am happy to be specific, but it is a lot of work and I need an original (not one of the re-analyses or meta-analyses) experimental report with all the details.

I think we have already settled these issues. You finally made yourself clear in the other thread. I thank you for that. I have been bugging you to provide specifics. Such as when I asked you "give us three examples of calorimeters better than F&P's that produced no heat." Or to explain why the boil off experiment magically stopped producing heat during the boil-off, even though it was producing heat for days before that, up to a a minute before that, and for a day or so after it. You did not respond to these requests, but you finally answered them all -- more or less. You laid your cards on the table. We now know where you stand. My response is here, and it will have to do:

The discussion is at an end.

• I have seen similar formations being shown as formed at the micrometer scale in the samples prepared in the “VEGA” experiment that is an analogue of the SAFIRE reactor.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Storms , just to get us out of the pit of sorrow we get into when we analyze the sad state of affairs that causes stagnation in this field of research, I was reviewing the questions asked after your ICCF 24 presentation when someone from the audience suggested in very simplistic terms to contact one of the makers of Focused Ion Beam (FIB) milling systems and start a collaboration with them. He kept mentioning a company FEI (or at least its what I heard) but for the life of me I haven’t been able to find anything with that name related to FIB with that name, (can anyone help me with that name?)

I have spent some time looking into Focused Ion beam milling, and I wonder if one could pay for samples to be prepared with this technique. Anyway, what I am thinking is to take seriously that well meant advice from the gentleman that asked you at the ICCF and see if this can be achieved in a collaborative effort involving the LENR-Forum community.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• It seems I was googling it the wrong way, now I found it:

FEI Helios NanoLab 460F1 DualBeam Focused Ion Beam (FIB)

Storms , would you be willing to prepare a range of characteristics needed to be custom made into the samples that then you could test? This is only on the back of the napkin phase, but all journeys have a simple step as beginning.

• Looking at the fees for access, hourly use of the FIB machine and hourly rates of staff, USD 10K would allow roughly 50 - 60 hours of work with the machine. Not a cheap material, but totally worth it if we can find the sweet spot between 1 and 10 nanometers.

• Ah ... I was going to ask that elsewhere. Ed's ICCF talk said we should explore nano-machined slots in the 2-10nm range.

(I'm guessing that co-deposition in those slots is not feasible, so : gas loading?)

How DEEP do the slots need to be, and how long? Or would a 2nm... hole suffice?

USD $10K is easily crowd-fundable.

• How DEEP do the slots need to be, and how long? Or would a 2nm... hole suffice?

Storms mentions in those last minutes recorded on the ICCF 24 Youtube channel that from the point of view of the atom it probably doesn't matter much. Anyway I don't think is that simple but that's why I ask him to define a space of variables we should see machined in the material.

USD $10K is easily crowd-fundable.

I tend to agree on this. However, the 10 K figure needs a lot more work, I am just exploring this, and found a Lab that has it in Texas and has a list of fees from which I put that rough 50 to 60 hours estimate.

For some IP range reason the page https://www.fei.com (thanks to Bob Greenyer for pointing me that this is the vendor of the FIB mill that is mentioned in the ICCF 24 video) redirects me to the Chilean Thermo Fischer distributor so I can't really even attempt to reach FEI without a VPN. Someone else will have to go there and find the contacts relevant to start a dialogue towards collaboration with them. Alan Fletcher , are you up for this task?

• I managed to find a contact form to request contact with FEI through the Thermo Fischer page. I told them what we need to do, including a link to Ed’s presentation and why we think of the Helios dual beam nano machining mill can be useful but we need to know more about what is possible and what not. I hope to get feedback soon about this topic.

• Storms , I totally agree that we should all be done with wasting time sparring with biased skeptics. That’s why I am trying to get the nanomachining mill idea going on. Can we have your input on this idea for steering the conversation that we need to have with the makers of the Helios Focused Ion Beam milling machine?

• The more, the merrier. I am ashamed that we did not start this part of the conversation sooner. Too distracted by arguing with THH perhaps.

We need to set the baseline idea of what size of sample would be the best. For example,

-Would a piece of Pd thin film be a good candidate?

-Something at most 0,5 mm thick would be a good idea?

-Do the gaps need to go through the material (tunnels from side to side), or they would have to be closed at one end?

- How much gap density is minumum desirable, or the higher possible is what we aim for? As an example, do we want the 2 nm gaps to be intertwined with 2 nm solid spaces, or we want them 10 nm apart? This of course is going to be limited to the ability of the milling machine, but we need to know also what we think is best to test in advance, and then match it with what we can really ask to the milling technology and see how close we can get to the optimal.

• We can discuss at our team meeting.

You mean at ICCF25, I assume. I will be participating virtually.

(I don't like to travel, and I must say, attending a conference in room with dozens of books, 1,166 papers, and three large video screens right there in front me is way more productive than sitting in conference hall.)

(By the way, everyone who uses a computer should have three large screens. It makes a world of difference. It is more important than having a fast computer, although I always have the fastest one available, because I have a need for speed.)

• Been looking at the capabilities of FIB, there's so many applications that is hard to pinpoint any specifics, some people were able to make channels of 16 nm some years ago, I haven't seen anyones specifically making sub 10 nanometer tubes, but this is probably because no one has needed that. Certainly it seems to be within the capabilities of the more high resolving systems. Perhaps this is the first time someone has actually the need for sub 10 nm tubes dug into a material.

• Found a specific paper that talks about sub 10 nm pores done with an Helium FIB. So, it seems that Storms requirement for gap size is achievable.

Rapid fabrication of solid-state nanopores with high reproducibility over a large area using a helium ion microscope
    The fabrication of solid-state nanopores in an insulating membrane has attracted much attention for biomolecule analysis such as DNA sequencing and detection…
    pubs.rsc.org

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.