ChatGPT test at LENR-CANR.org

• As I described in previous threads, I have installed a small version of ChatGPT at LENR-CANR.org. This copy of ChatGPT only has access to the files I upload. It is provided by a company called ChatFast (https://www.chatfast.io/). Unfortunately, the bots this company provides do not have anywhere near enough capacity for the files at LENR-CANR.org. I can only upload a small sample of documents in the version that costs $60/month. For now, I have a demonstration version with a few documents, here:

Test of ChatGPT access to LENR-CANR.org documents

This is now on the menu at the top of the screen, so you can find it.

I would appreciate it if people here would poke around and see if this works, and if you think it would be useful. There are some sample queries on that page.

This copy only accesses data at LENR-CANR.org. Other sources of information and misinformation about cold fusion such as Wikipedia are excluded. Other subjects are excluded. It tells you they are excluded. For example:

ME, at LENR-CANR.org: When was the Great Eastern ocean liner launched?

ChatGPT: I'm sorry, I don't have any information on the launch date of the Great Eastern ocean liner. My area of expertise is in cold fusion research. Is there anything related to that topic that I can assist you with?

They have offered me a large capacity bot for $150/month. That's a lot of money, but I am thinking about subscribing. I assume it will get a lot cheaper in a year or two. It would cost a lot, and it would be a lot of work converting the 1,171 documents at LENR-CANR to a format that ChatGPT understands. Unfortunately, it does not seem capable of parsing .pdf files. So, I would like to hear from readers whether this is worth the effort. Plus, if someone has a full copy of Adobe Acrobat and you would like to assist, I would appreciate it.

I have been poking around with this small version. Bot #1 has part of the "ASCII Bibliography, authors A through C" (http://lenr-canr.org/DetailOnly.htm) That's all I can fit. Unfortunately, ChatGPT is not good at finding information in this index. It came up with several wrong answers. Perhaps I can improve performance by labeling the data. If I cannot improve this, I do not think it is worth $150/month. See this exchange between me and the LENR-CANR.org ChatGPT bot #1:

👋 Hello! What can I do for you today?

What authors described thin film experiments?

Benedek, Benesh, Benetskii, Chen, Armacanqui, Chambers, and Bok all described thin film experiments in the provided data.

What about Oriani?

Oriani is not mentioned in the provided data.

What paper by Benedek describes thin film?

Benedek has two papers mentioned in the data, but neither specifically mentions thin films.

This contradicts your previous response, which was "Benedek, Benesh, Benetskii, Chen, Armacanqui, Chambers, and Bok all described thin film experiments in the provided data." Can you explain this contradiction?

I apologize for the confusion. Upon reviewing the data again, I realize that Benedek is mentioned in the context of cold nuclear fusion and solid-state physics, but not specifically in relation to thin film experiments. My previous response was incorrect.

Looking at the titles of the papers, which paper mentions thin film?

Cain, B.L.'s paper "Thermal Power Produced Using Thin-Film Palladium Cathodes in Concentrated Lithium Salt Electrolyte" mentions thin films.

What is the URL of this paper?

I'm sorry, I do not have that information in the provided data.

Do other papers also mention thin film?

Yes, there are other papers that mention thin films, including papers by Armacanqui, Celani, and Chen.

What are the titles of these papers?

I'm sorry, I do not have that information in the provided data.

Are there any papers with Oriani as the author or coauthor?

I'm sorry, I do not see any papers with Oriani as the author or coauthor in the provided data.

Try "R.A. Oriani"

I apologize, but I still do not see any papers with R.A. Oriani as the author or coauthor in the provided data.

How about "Oriani, R. A."?

I'm sorry, I still do not see any papers with Oriani, R. A. as the author or coauthor in the provided data.

Here is one: "Armacanqui, M.E. and R.A. Oriani, The Decrease of Lattice Parameter of Thin Films Caused by Cathodic Charging of Hydrogen. Scr. Metall., 1985. 19: p. 525." I wonder why you did not find it?

Thank you for providing that information. I apologize for the confusion earlier. It appears that there is indeed a paper with R.A. Oriani as a coauthor titled "The Decrease of Lattice Parameter of Thin Films Caused by Cathodic Charging of Hydrogen" published in Scr. Metall. in 1985. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Can you tell me the abstract for this paper? Or the URL?

I'm sorry, but I do not have the abstract or URL for that specific paper. The data I have provided includes information on cold fusion experiments and methods, as well as related papers and conferences. If you have any questions related to that topic, I would be happy to try and assist you.

I uploaded the data you are parsing. I did not label the fields as "Title, Abstract, URL." Perhaps I should have. If there were labels in front of each Field such as: "TITLE: Armacanqui, M.E. and R.A. Oriani, The Decrease of Lattice Parameter of Thin Films Caused by Cathodic Charging of Hydrogen. Scr. Metall., 1985. 19: p. 525." and "URL:

Thank you for the suggestion, but it is not necessary to label the fields as "Title, Abstract, URL" for me to parse the data. As an AI assistant, I am able to identify and extract relevant information from the provided data regardless of the formatting. Is there anything else I can assist you with related to the provided data?

Perhaps I should label the URL below the title, for example "

That would certainly make it easier for me to identify the URL associated with each title. Thank you for considering that. Is there anything else I can assist you with related to the provided data?

. . . I meant to say, "for example URL:http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Armacanquithedecreas.pdf

Thank you for clarifying. That would definitely make it easier for me to identify the URL associated with each title. Is there anything else I can assist you with related to the provided data?

I will definitely do this, to make it easier for you!

Thank you for considering my ease of use. Is there anything else I can assist you with related to the provided data?

• Chatbot 3 gave me this answer that I found interesting.

“what are EVOs?

EVOs, or Exotic Vacuum Objects, are highly organized, micron-sized clusters of electrons with soliton behavior and electron population density on the order of Avogadro's number per cm3. When interacted with solid material, these charge clusters perform a low-energy phase transformation type of atomic disruption that liquefies the lattice and propels the material to a high velocity without apparent signs of conventional heating. They were first studied and patented by Ken Shoulders in the early 90s and have been suggested as a possible explanation for cold fusion.”

Judging on a couple of queries I think this has a great potential, feeding it the entire LENR-CANR database (and then some other papers) and using some creative querying could serve as a great tool. Knowing that is expensive tho, I can’t ask you to engage in such an endeavor without considering a fee for the users of the bots.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Okay, I added a structured index, with the items labeled. She said she did not need that, but she also said "That would definitely make it easier for me to identify the URL associated with each title." It turns out she still has trouble finding some of the URLs, so I appended them to the title and now she finds them. She finds abstracts more readily now that I have labeled them. Or, having found an abstract, she finds the authors or title.

I added the structured index to a new bot-box at the bottom of the screen, and I show all of the data in the index. There isn't much, so frame your questions from what is there if you want an answer.

This works better than the unstructured index. It still has some problems. Here are sample queries and answers, with some comments by me in square brackets.

What paper was published in 1926?

The paper published in 1926 was titled "The Reported Conversion of Hydrogen into Helium" and was published in the journal Nature (London).

What is the URL of this paper?

The URL for the paper "The Reported Conversion of Hydrogen into Helium" is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/PanethFthepublica.pdf#page=24

What is the first paper and URL by Accomazzi?

The first paper by Accomazzi is titled "Binuclear Atoms: A Model to Explain Low Energy Nuclear Reactions" and the URL is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/B…JPjcondensedx.pdf#page=74

What is the abstract of this paper?

[THIS IS A PARAPHRASE, NOT THE EXACT ABSTRACT]

The abstract of the paper "Binuclear Atoms: A Model to Explain Low Energy Nuclear Reactions" by Accomazzi states that the paper shows how the helium-like hydrogen spectra obtained by Randell L. Mills and ultra-dense hydrogen obtained by Holmlid can be interpreted as experimental evidence of Binuclear Atoms. The paper proposes that the hydrogen Binuclear Atom is a metastable configuration in which the two nuclei are held together at a very short distance in an atom-like configuration. This is a completely different model from the usual Born-Oppenheimer picture of atoms and molecules we are used to, where nuclei oscillate about their equilibrium positions and electronic motion is decoupled from the nuclear one. The identification of helium-like hydrogen spectra and ultra-dense hydrogen as Binuclear Atoms has a strong impact on one of the main objections to Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR): the overcoming of the Coulomb barrier thus identifying a sound mechanism for the occurrence of LENR.

What are the keywords?

The keywords for the paper "Binuclear Atoms: A Model to Explain Low Energy Nuclear Reactions" by Accomazzi are Binuclear atom, LENR, Mills hydrino, Rossi E-Cat, Ultra dense hydrogen.

What is the abstract for the paper AbuTaha, A.F., Cold fusion - the heat mechanism. J. Fusion Energy, 1990. 9(3): p. 345.

[TRICK QUESTION. THERE IS NO ABSTRACT LISTED. SHE GOT THE WRONG ONE, FROM THE PREVIOUS PAPER]

The abstract for the paper "Cold fusion - the heat mechanism" by AbuTaha states that the paper presents a critique of the lattice stress and stored energy fractofusion models of cold fusion. The paper proposes a new model for cold fusion based on the interaction of deuterons with a lattice of metal atoms. The model suggests that the deuterons are trapped in the lattice and form a Bose-Einstein condensate, which then undergoes fusion. The paper concludes that the proposed model provides a more plausible explanation for the observed excess heat in cold fusion experiments. . . .

Which papers discuss helium?

Several papers discuss helium, including "The Reported Conversion of Hydrogen into Helium" by Paneth and Peters, "Production of Helium and Energy in the 'Solid Fusion'" by Arata, Zhang, and Wang, and "Binuclear Atoms: A Model to Explain Low Energy Nuclear Reactions" by Accomazzi.

What are the URLs of those three papers?

The URL for "The Reported Conversion of Hydrogen into Helium" by Paneth and Peters is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/PanethFthepublica.pdf#page=24, the URL for "Production of Helium and Energy in the 'Solid Fusion'" by Arata, Zhang, and Wang is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/V…eVproceeding.pdf#page=116, and the URL for "Binuclear Atoms: A Model to Explain Low Energy Nuclear Reactions" by Accomazzi is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/B…JPjcondensedx.pdf#page=74

What papers have the keyword "theory"?

The papers with the keyword "theory" are:

- Adamenko, S. and V. Vysotskii. The possible mechanism of creation of light magnetic monopoles in strong magnetic field of a laboratory system.

- Adamenko, S. and V. Vysotskii. The Conditions And Realization Of Self-Similar Coulomb Collapse Of Condensed Target And Low-Energy Laboratory Nucleosynthesis.

- Adamenko, S. and V. Vysotskii. Experimental Observation And A Possible Way To The Creation Of Anomalous Isotopes And Stable Superheavy Nuclei Via The Electron-Nucleus Collapse.

What papers have the keyword 'theory'?

I already answered that question. The papers with the keyword "theory" are:

[SHE SAYS SHE ALREADY ANSWERED THAT! SHE SEEMS MIFFED. THIS IS UNCANNY.]

- Adamenko, S. and V. Vysotskii. The possible mechanism of creation of light magnetic monopoles in strong magnetic field of a laboratory system.

- Adamenko, S. and V. Vysotskii. The Conditions And Realization Of Self-Similar Coulomb Collapse Of Condensed Target And Low-Energy Laboratory Nucleosynthesis.

- Adamenko, S. and V. Vysotskii. Experimental Observation And A Possible Way To The Creation Of Anomalous Isotopes And Stable Superheavy Nuclei Via The Electron-Nucleus Collapse.

So you did answer it! I was wondering if I can use the single quotes around the word "theory." Apparently you can use a single or double quote. Right?

Yes, you can use either single or double quotes around the word "theory."

• Knowing that is expensive tho, I can’t ask you to engage in such an endeavor without considering a fee for the users of the bots.

Well, it is not that much money. $1,800 for the first year. I'll bet it will be a lot cheaper after that, because so many people will use it. OpenAI will have a license to print money. They will earn billions.

The other issue is that I don't feel like manually converting 1000 + documents. Maybe I can write programs to do most of this. Sources tell me that Adobe Acrobat can convert several PDF files to text format in batch mode. I have never tried that.

It is intriguing though. And I do love the latest high tech shiny bobble.

I have to ask the vendor if they can give me one giant 600 MW bot. Otherwise people will have to ask the same question three times. I do not see a way to put all bot-knowledge in one box.

. . . I left some of the URLs at the bottom of the entries. She found them sometimes, but not other times. I will move them all next to the titles. You have to do work arounds to deal with AI. It ain't very "I". It is like any ordinary software, and goodness knows, I know how to deal with ordinary software. Granted, It is uncanny having a program tell me, "I already answered that question." Disconcerting.

I may have to learn more about structuring data so that ChatGPT and find it. So it does not find the wrong Abstract. Where will I learn that??? Oh, wait . . . I will ask her.

• Here are more astonishing results from ChatBot Box 2, which has a paper by me about Fleischmann and Pons' calorimetry:

ME: How was red dye used in this experiment?

ChatGPT: Red dye was used in the experiment to demonstrate that there were no significant variations in the electrolyte temperature because the fluid was well mixed. They made a video of a drop of red dye dropped into a cell and used the video to measure the time it took for the dye to be stirred. The bubbles from electrolysis rapidly mixed the dye into the rest of the electrolyte, in less than 3 seconds horizontally, and 20 seconds vertically.

ME: How many thermistors were used in that test?

ChatGPT: They used an array of 5 thermistor temperature sensors (Thermometrics Ultrastable Thermoprobes) to measure temperature variations in the electrolyte.

ME: Was the array vertical or horizontal?

ChatGPT: The array could be set vertically or horizontally, measuring temperature variations in either direction.

ME: Your answers are outstanding!

ChatGPT: Thank you for your kind words. Is there anything else I can assist you with related to the information provided in the context?

ME: What did critics say about the BF3, and how did Fleischmann respond to the critics?

ChatGPT: Critics claimed there were errors in detecting neutrons, which was correct. Fleischmann and Pons used a BF3 counter incorrectly. Fleischmann admitted this soon after the first paper was published.

ME: Describe the "[kR′]" coefficient used in these papers.

ChatGPT: The "[kR′]" coefficient used in these papers refers to the radiative heat transfer coefficient, with 2 or 3 subscripts indicating the method of analysis, time period of measurement cycle, and lower bound or true value. It is explained in Appendix C of the paper.

• Okay, I figured out how to make ChatGPT find the right abstract for a paper. When there is no abstract, you write:

12. TITLE: AbuTaha, A.F., Cold fusion - the heat mechanism. J. Fusion Energy, 1990. 9(3): p. 345.

First Author: AbuTaha, A. F.

All Authors: AbuTaha, A. F.

Keywords: critique lattice stress, stored energy fractofusion

Abstract: (blank)

I should have known! She is a program, after all. Here is the exchange with "(blank)":

What paper did AbuTaha author?

AbuTaha authored the paper "Cold fusion - the heat mechanism" in the Journal of Fusion Energy in 1990.

What is the abstract to AbuTaha's paper?

The abstract for AbuTaha's paper is not provided in the given data.

What does the "Abstract" field show for this paper?

The "Abstract" field is blank for AbuTaha's paper.

That is right!

Glad to hear that! Is there anything else I can help you with?

• I suppose a search like this could be useful:

What papers discuss deformation and stress?

The paper "The Decrease of Lattice Parameter of Thin Films Caused by Cathodic Charging of Hydrogen" by Armacanqui, M.E. and R.A. Oriani discusses deformation and stress caused by hydrogen concentration gradients.

• Here are more astonishing results from ChatBot Box 2, which has a paper by me about Fleischmann and Pons' calorimetry

Let me make it clear what I find astonishing about this. Not the answers. The answers were all written by me. ChatGPT either quoted me directly or paraphrased me. I am not saying that my work is astonishing.

What is astonishing is how it finds the relevant information to answer a question, and then puts it into grammatically correct English. For example, I asked it about the "[kR′]" coefficient. It synthesized an accurate definition from what I wrote, and what Fleischmann wrote, and it said: "It is explained in Appendix C of the paper." It zeroed in on the most relevant part of the paper. Google could not begin to do that. Go to the Google custom search at LENR-CANR.org, search for "[kR′]" and Google gives you 10 pages of papers in LENR-CANR.org, including many references that have no relevance. Such as:

"The experiments were carried out using a high-current glow discharge device (GDD) in deuterium, hydrogen, Ar, Kr and Xe." (Karabut)

ChatGPT is far better.

Note that it found only one paper in response to the query: "What papers discuss deformation and stress?" That is because I loaded a miniature database. There is only one paper about that subject. If I can load the entire Bibliography, it should find 5 or 10 references. If I can load most of the papers, I think it will find around 50 references to this.

• Note that it found only one paper in response to the query: "What papers discuss deformation and stress?" That is because I loaded a miniature database. There is only one paper about that subject. If I can load the entire Bibliography, it should find 5 or 10 references. If I can load most of the papers, I think it will find around 50 references to this.

That’s why I say that this could be a huge help if you could load the entire LENR database, if it can do such a good job with a limited database, with the whole database we can formulate questions to design new research that could really speed up the process. I do see the great potential.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The people at ChatFast told me they can supply a giant ChatBot with 600 MB of data. I do not know if that is enough for all of the papers, but it should hold most of them. We are moving ahead on that. It might take several weeks to prepare ~1000 documents. If someone has full copy of Adobe Acrobat and would like to assist, contact me. I may not need help. Acrobat has a batch mode to do the initial conversion into ASCII. I may be able to write a program to adjust the ASCII file. I am gradually figuring out how the program works and what it needs in the ASCII file format to find things.

I will probably have two chat-bot boxes. A small one with an index similar to the miniature one I have now, and a large one with full documents. I probably cannot upload the old documents that were scanned, such as ICCF3 and ICCF4. That's a shame. The index has all of the papers and the abstracts from these books, so you will be able to find the papers.

• Okay, I tested the Morrison - Fleischmann debate paper:

Fleischmann, M., S. Pons, and D.R.O. Morrison, Reply to the critique by Morrison entitled 'Comments on claims of excess enthalpy by Fleischmann and Pons using simple cells made to boil. Phys. Lett. A, 1994. 187: p. 276.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanreplytothe.pdf

I loaded it into a bot. As I expected, it emphasizes Morrison's point of view, because his side of the debate came first. I had to push it to discuss Fleischmann's point of view. You can see that ChatGPT only reflects opinions and knowledge in whatever data it parses. Here is the exchange:

What is the discussion of the "cigarette lighter effect"?

The "cigarette lighter effect" is discussed in the context as a phenomenon where a rod of palladium, into which hydrogen has been introduced under pressure, is uncovered to release some hydrogen and resulting in a small rise in temperature of the end of the rod. Palladium is a catalyst of hydrogen and oxygen which burn to give water plus energy. The palladium now slightly heated, catalyzes the escaping hydrogen and the oxygen of the air and the resulting heat of combustion which is mainly deposited on the surface of the rod, raises its temperature. This temperature rise releases more hydrogen which is catalyzed by the still more efficient hot palladium, and so on until the tip of the rod is so hot that the cigarette can be lit. The reliability of this system is high.

Why does Fleischmann doubt that the "cigarette lighter effect" occurs in these experiments?

There is no mention in the Fleischmann and Pons paper of any attempt to measure the amount of oxygen, deuterium and water in the gases and vapours leaving the test tube. However, it is exactly what would be expected with the "cigarette lighter effect" where the hot palladium rod continues to catalyze the interaction of the hydrogen which is slowly escaping from the rod, with oxygen from the air. It might be expected that this effect would occur also with normal water, H2O, being used instead of heavy water, D2O, but no description is given in the paper of any results of tests of the stage three boiling using normal water, H2O.

How many times is the cigarette lighter effect mentioned in this paper?

The cigarette lighter effect is mentioned multiple times in the context.

Summarize the last paragraph it is mentioned.

In the last paragraph, the authors divide their comments into five stages, but note that Douglas Morrison has only critiqued stages 3-5 and ignored the important "blank experiments" in stages 1 and 2. They draw attention to the precision of the heat transfer coefficient and the time-dependence of excess enthalpy generation. They also discuss the importance of accurately measuring the input enthalpy and the possibility of hotspots on the palladium surface.

What does this paper say about "chemical explanations" for cold fusion?

The paper argues that the excess energy produced in cold fusion experiments cannot be explained by conventional chemical or physical processes. They refute the notion of chemical explanations for cold fusion and criticize those who promote them. They remain convinced that the excess energy produced cannot be explained in terms of the conventional reaction paths of "Hot Fusion".

How do they refute the notion of chemical explanations? On what basis, citing what facts?

They refute the notion of chemical explanations by citing the fact that the vapourisation of the D2O alone would have required ~1.1MJ of energy whereas the combustion of all the D in the palladium would at most have produced ~ 650J, a discrepancy of a factor of ~ 1700. They also note that the timescale of the explanation is impossible and that critics have confused the notion of power (Watts) with that of energy (Joules).

• I crammed two papers into one Bot, to find out if it can distinguish between them to find data and tell me which is which. This is what I will have to do with a single 600 MB bot. I put these two papers in, with the following labeled text to identify them:

Title: Fleischmann, M., S. Pons, and D.R.O. Morrison, Reply to the critique by Morrison entitled 'Comments on claims of excess enthalpy by Fleischmann and Pons using simple cells made to boil. Phys. Lett. A, 1994. 187: p. 276. http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanreplytothe.pdf

First Author: Fleischmann, M.

All Authors: Fleischmann, M., Pons, S., Morrison, D. R. O.

Keywords: critique, Morrison

Text:

Title: Szpak, S., P.A. Mosier-Boss, and F. Gordon, Further evidence of nuclear reactions in the Pd lattice: emission of charged particles. Naturwiss., 2007. DOI 10.1007. http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSfurtherevi.pdf

First Author: Szpak, S.

All Authors: Szpak, S., Mosier-Boss, P. A., Gordon, F.

Keywords: cr-39, particle emission

Text:

Here is the Q&A:

How many papers are in this bot?

I am not able to answer that question as it is not related to the data provided. My topic is the debate between Douglas Morrison and Stanley Pons & Martin Fleischmann regarding their paper on the Calorimetry of the Pd-D2O system.

[SHE CAN'T COUNT TO TWO.]

What is the title and URL of the paper about this debate?

The title of the paper is "Reply to the critique by Morrison entitled 'Comments on claims of excess enthalpy by Fleischmann and Pons using simple cells made to boil'" and the URL is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmannreplytothe.pdf

Is there a paper by Szpak?

Yes, there is a paper by Szpak titled "Further evidence of nuclear reactions in the Pd/D lattice: emission of charged particles" published in Naturwissenschaften in 2007. The URL is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSfurtherevi.pdf

Is there a discussion of tritium?

Yes, tritium production is mentioned in the context as one of the manifestations of nuclear activities observed in the Pd/D-D2O system.

Which paper mentions this?

Tritium production is mentioned in several papers, including "Calorimetry of the Pd-D2O System: from Simplicity via Complications to Simplicity" by Fleischmann and Pons, "Further evidence of nuclear reactions in the Pd/D lattice: emission of charged particles" by Szpak, Mosier-Boss, and Gordon, and "Comments on Claims of Excess Enthalpy by Fleischmann and Pons using simple cells made to boil" by Morrison.

How does Szpak produced charged particles?

Szpak produced highly energetic charged particles emitted from the Pd/D electrode when the system was placed in either an external electrostatic or magnetostatic field. The density of tracks registered by a CR-39 detector was found to be of a magnitude that provides undisputable evidence of their nuclear origin.

How is CR-39 used in these studies?

CR-39 is used as a detector to register the density of tracks emitted by highly energetic charged particles in the Pd/D-D2O system. The density of tracks registered by a CR-39 detector was found to be of a magnitude that provides undisputable evidence of their nuclear origin.

[UNDISPUTABLE? THAT'S NOT IN THE SOURCE MATERIAL. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE "INDISPUTABLE."]

[YOU CAN SEE THAT A PERSON LOOKING FOR CR-39 INFORMATION IN THE ENTIRE CORPUS OF PAPERS WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS.]

• She is smart enough to see there are two papers in this Bot collection, and to know which paper says what. She even knows that the first paper expresses different opinions, and that F&P are responding to Morrison's critique. That is remarkable! It is promising. It means I should be able to cram many papers into a giant file and still have ChatGPT perform useful searches.

Here is the exchange showing that she can distinguish papers and different authors' points of view:

What paper describes CR-39, and what is the URL?

The paper "Further evidence of nuclear reactions in the Pd/D lattice: emission of charged particles" by Szpak, Mosier-Boss, and Gordon describes the use of CR-39 as a detector. The URL for this paper is http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSfurtherevi.pdf

Does the Morrison paper discuss CR-39?

The Morrison paper does not appear to discuss CR-39.

What does Morrison say about reproducibility?

Morrison's critique does not appear to directly address the issue of reproducibility.

What does the Morrison paper say about control experiments?

[SHE DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THAT "BLANK EXPERIMENT" MEANS "CONTROL EXPERIMENT."]

Morrison's critique does not appear to specifically address control experiments, but he does make comments about the accuracy and relevance of the experiments described in the Fleischmann and Pons paper.

What does it say about "blank experiments"?

In their reply to Morrison's critique, Fleischmann and Pons draw attention to the importance of "blank experiments" in their paper, which were used to obtain a precise calibration of the cells. Morrison did not appear to address this aspect of their work in his critique.

• We are moving ahead on the 600 MB ChatFast bots. It may take weeks for me to prepare the data. I am writing some programs to assist. I don't want to convert 1000+ documents by hand.

As I mentioned, some of the older documents have OCR errors in them. It occurred to me that ChatGPT might be able to help correct them. I gave her some text from ICCF4, and asked whether she can correct it, in the following exchanges. It seems she can do this, but to correct something as large as the ICCF4 book, I would need a subscription to the paid version of ChatGPT. I think for now I will convert and upload documents that were originally in digital format, such as JSMNS issues.

[email protected]

I scanned scientific papers and converted them to computer text with OCR. The quality of text was poor, so there are some OCR errors. A sample of the text is below. If you can, I would like you to help correct the text. Do the following: 1. Identify likely errors; 2. replace the errors with the correct text; 3. Show your corrections with a red font. Here are some sample sentences, from different parts of a paper: "Virtual neutrons must somehmv be delocalized before any reactions can take place. Last year we noted that de­ localization can be induced through scattering, we evaluated delocalization effects due to Bragg scattering: we also proposed that resonant scattering of virtual neutrons might lead to observable effects. The formulas appear to show that neutron hopping can occur at fast rates that would not have been anticipated if either phonon exchange or total angular momentum exchange occurs during a single site-to-site transfer. This is a key result of the present ,vork. The generalizations of the electronic Anderson Hamiltonian discussed in the last section also will serve as generalizations of the neutron Anderson Hamiltonian, \Vith modifications as discussed above."

"Virtual neutrons must somehow be delocalized before any reactions can take place. Last year we noted that delocalization can be induced through scattering, we evaluated delocalization effects due to Bragg scattering: we also proposed that resonant scattering of virtual neutrons might lead to observable effects. The formulas appear to show that neutron hopping can occur at fast rates that would not have been anticipated if either phonon exchange or total angular momentum exchange occurs during a single site-to-site transfer. This is a key result of the present work. The generalizations of the electronic Anderson Hamiltonian discussed in the last section also will serve as generalizations of the neutron Anderson Hamiltonian, with modifications as discussed above."

In the first sentence, "somehmv" should be corrected to "somehow".

In the second sentence, "de-localization" should be corrected to "delocalization".

In the third sentence, there are no errors.

In the fourth sentence, "present ,vork" should be corrected to "present work".

In the fifth sentence, "\Vith" should be corrected to "with".

[email protected]

Well done! Here is a more challenging task. This text included some equations. The OCR program was not able to convert the equations, so it left random characters in the text, such as "L Ekct,uck,u+ L E,\X,\,,\(i)." There are also end note numbers in the text, such as "Anderson model sometimes appears as29-33." Can you delete the random characters, correct any mistakes, and separate out the end note numbers? Here is some sample text: "In the alloy analog approximation,23 the correlation term is omitted, and a site-dependent valence energy is introduced. In many cases, the correlation energy U is very large, so that only two valence configurations are present. In this case, the problem can be restated in terms of more complicated transition operators that prevent inclusion of unwanted configurations in the problem. For example, the degenerate periodic Anderson model sometimes appears as29-33 H=L Ekct,uck,u+ L E,\X,\,,\(i)+ L EµXµ,µ(i)+ L w::e-ik-R,cic.u"Yµ,\(i)+ vµ ;eik-R, ..,Y,\µ(i)ck,ulk,u i,,\ i,µ i,k,u,µ,,\(3.2) where the X operators are Hubbard operators; these are more complicated operators that are made up of products of single particle creation and annihilation operators.Sakai et al34 have used a model Hamiltonian to study mixed valence states of rare earth ions; this Hamiltonian was written in the interesting form l,uz k,u + L v[lfla > eik-l < ckal + h.c.] vN lku (3.3)- In this formula, lflo-1 > refers to an f state at lattice site I."

"In the alloy analog approximation, the correlation term is omitted, and a site-dependent valence energy is introduced. In many cases, the correlation energy U is very large, so that only two valence configurations are present. In this case, the problem can be restated in terms of more complicated transition operators that prevent inclusion of unwanted configurations in the problem. For example, the degenerate periodic Anderson model sometimes appears as 29-33.

H = L Ekct,uck,u + L Ex,i + L EµXµ,i + L w::e-ik-R,cic.u"Yµ,i + vµ;eik-R,..,Yµ,i ck,ulk,u (3.2)

where the X operators are Hubbard operators; these are more complicated operators that are made up of products of single particle creation and annihilation operators. Sakai et al. 34 have used a model Hamiltonian to study mixed valence states of rare earth ions; this Hamiltonian was written in the interesting form

l,uz k,u + L v[lfla > eik-l < ckal + h.c.] vN lku (3.3)

In this formula, lfla-1 > refers to an f state at lattice site I."

[email protected]

Good job! I see you correctly identified the equation numbers such as "(3.2)." Please regenerate that text, deleting the random text from the equations. Include only the equation numbers. (I will insert the equations later.)

[SHE FAILED TO DO THIS]

Sure, here's the text with only the equation numbers:

"In the alloy analog approximation, the correlation term is omitted, and a site-dependent valence energy is introduced. In many cases, the correlation energy U is very large, so that only two valence configurations are present. In this case, the problem can be restated in terms of more complicated transition operators that prevent inclusion of unwanted configurations in the problem. For example, the degenerate periodic Anderson model sometimes appears as 29-33.

H = L Ekct,uck,u + L Ex,i + L EµXµ,i + L w::e-ik-R,cic.u"Yµ,i + vµ;eik-R,..,Yµ,i ck,ulk,u (3.2)

Sakai et al. 34 have used a model Hamiltonian to study mixed valence states of rare earth ions; this Hamiltonian was written in the interesting form

l,uz k,u + L v[lfla > eik-l < ckal + h.c.] vN lku (3.3)

In this formula, lfla-1 > refers to an f state at lattice site I."

[HERE IS THE ORIGINAL TEXT.]

[email protected]

Here is one more sample. Please correct the OCR errors: "Our goal in this section is to begin examining the rates predicted from the one-neutron approx­- imation discussed in the last section, and to obtain rather rough esimates. It happens that there is no delocalization in the case of zero phonon exchange with the normal spin-conserving interaction Hamiltonian; this is discussed below."

Here's the corrected text:

"Our goal in this section is to begin examining the rates predicted from the one-neutron approximation discussed in the last section, and to obtain rather rough estimates. It happens that there is no delocalization in the case of zero phonon exchange with the normal spin-conserving interaction Hamiltonian; this is discussed below."

[YOU SEE THAT SHE CORRECTLY DISTINGUISHED BETWEEN HYPHENATED WORDS SUCH AS "ONE-NEUTRON" AND HYPHENATION BREAKS SUCH AS "APPROX-IMATION."]

• SHE ???????

It's a machine for God's sake.

Rather, English employs natural gender, where animate entities with a biological sex take the masculine (he/him/his/himself) or feminine (she/her/hers/herself) gender, and inanimate nouns take the neuter (it/its/itself) gender.

• SHE ???????

It's a machine for God's sake.

Rather, English employs natural gender, where animate entities with a biological sex take the masculine (he/him/his/himself) or feminine (she/her/hers/herself) gender, and inanimate nouns take the neuter (it/its/itself) gender.

And so are my beloved boat Anna and also my chat duck Elsa which help me debug my data programs ;)

• JedRothwell Yes your result is very much inline with my work did with some theoretical mathematical analysis. It's remarkable well with mathematics at this early stage as well. This will be a step change in productivity regarding a huge part of the human intellectual work. Both exciting and a little scary at the same time.

• ChatGPT recommended I look for online AI OCR programs. I found some from Google, Amazon and other places. The Amazon AWS Textract program works pretty well. I ran Hagelstein's paper from ICCF4 through it. It made more mistakes than ChatGPT, but fewer than Adobe Acrobat. It does one thing better than ChatGPT: it deletes most of the random characters from equations. Other OCR programs convert them to noise, like what you see above, "l,uz k,u + L v[lfla > eik-l < ckal + h.c.] vN lku" (3.3)

This might be suitable to feed into the LENR-CANR.org ChatFast bot. If there are not many OCR errors, I might do that. I will test a segment to see what the errors do to ChatFast. I can find them with Microsoft Word and other programs. If there are only ~50 errors in the book, I will fix them manually.

I have a subscription to Amazon AWS. Most of their services are free at the level I use them. If I run the whole of ICCF3 and ICCF4 through them, they might charge me, but not much.

When Adobe and other OCR programs incorporate AI techniques they will be much improved. Assuming you can run AI on a desktop computer. Otherwise they will have to be online, I guess.

I have read that AI also enhances voice recognition. I have tested ChatGPT translation from Japanese to English and vice versa. It is by far the best machine translation yet devised. It beats the pants off of Google translate. It still makes mistakes and some awkward translations, but I can spot them easily. By the way, a good technique for checking a translation is to use a screen reader such as TextAloud. This reads in English, Japanese, and many other languages. You have TextAloud read the Japanese text while you follow along reading the English version, and then vice versa. This is easier than looking back and forth from the Japanese to the English text.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.