Problematic Journals

• QUOTE:

On April 1, Bret Collier, a wildlife ecologist at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, wrote to Srinivasan and others, informing them the March 2024 study, titled “Breeding distrust: The biopolitics of chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer,” contained several non-existent citations, one to a paper referred to as being published in 2026.

Well, if the paper will be published in 2026, who is to say it is non-existent? This is what the Japanese call a "time slip." The paper does not exist in the present but the AI has precognition and it is telling us it will exist in 2026. Is there a problem with that?

• ‘A disturbing experience’: Postdoc fights to have work that plagiarized her thesis retracted
    Solange Saxby In December, Solange Saxby, a postdoctoral research fellow at Dartmouth Health in Lebanon, New Hampshire, was notified by her friend of a paper…
    retractionwatch.com

As one comment says "Because the statement that: a thesis isn’t a prior work, sure sounded like it’s open season on dissertations."

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Elite researchers in China say they had ‘no choice’ but to commit misconduct

Anonymous interviewees say they engaged in unethical behaviour to protect their jobs — although others say study presents an overly negative view.....Some researchers admitted to engaging in unethical research practices for fear of losing their jobs. In one interview, a faculty head said: “If anyone cannot meet the criteria [concerning publications], I suggest that they leave as soon as possible.”

Zhang and Wang describe researchers using services to write their papers for them, falsifying data, plagiarizing, exploiting students without offering authorship and bribing journal editors.

One interviewee admitted to paying for access to a data set. “I bought access to an official archive and altered the data to support my hypotheses.”

An associate dean emphasized the primacy of the publishing goal. “We should not be overly stringent in identifying and punishing research misconduct, as it hinders our scholars’ research efficiency.”

Nature- open access.

Elite researchers in China say they had ‘no choice’ but to commit misconduct
    Anonymous interviewees say they engaged in unethical behaviour to protect their jobs — although others say study presents an overly negative view.
    www.nature.com

• An epidemic of scientific fakery threatens to overwhelm publishers

I just want to remind you that faking data is the standard method used in big pharma too.

The famous statines story starts with fake data as in reality nobody ever could find any correlation of LDL (Low-density lipoprotein) with a higher stroke risk. Thus only faking data could help. If you use genetically high LDL nordic gen pol people and use total risk instead of nordic risk. Result 99% of all people that take statines only cause damage to dear body like strongly increase risk for dementia.

Even more fraud has been seen for justifying the RNA vaxx Covid therapy that in reality did save not a single live.

So today we live in a world of propaganda that soon will multiply with the help of AI tools. And editors are at the center of the storm as these do publish any dirt for money or friends (FM/R/WJF)

• that faking data is the standard method used in big pharma too

It's been that way for some time ,endemic since at least 1962.. William S Merrill with Triparanol

unfortunately the penalties are too low..

Pfizer. etc. do the risk benefits analysis and conclude the profits(10%?. of a trillion$) outweigh the penalties.

especially if they can do "manipulation" to reduce the risk

They manipulate social media , government institutions, academia and politicians..

"problematic journals' is just a minor part of the problem.

the endemic from Pharma has crossed over and become an epidemic in many other fields

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The pressure of publishing for Academics to keep their jobs makes for most of this problem. Entire industries arise when such “perverse incentives” arise.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The above article says:

The articles by Daria Michalik, “The decomposition uniqueness for infinite Cartesian products” and “Some remarks on the uniqueness of decomposition into Cartesian product,” published in 2017 and 2016, respectively, were retracted this year from Topology and its Applications over concerns they closely resembled an unpublished 1968 dissertation from Polish topologist Zbigniew Furdzik: “On the properties of certain decompositions of topological spaces into Cartesian products.”

Michalik has associations with the Institute of Mathematics, the same institution with which Furdzik, now deceased, earned his PhD. . . .

I wonder how closely they resemble the 1968 dissertation? If they were mostly based on that, with some comments, an analysis, or an extension of Furdzik, and if the author had cited Furdzik, it wouldn't be plagiarism. It would just be a ho-hum unoriginal academic paper.

Plagiarism in Eastern Europe was described by Tom Lehrer:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

". . . I am never forget the day I first meet the great Lobachevsky
    In one word he told me secret of success in mathematics
    Plagiarize
    Plagiarize
    Let no one else's work evade your eyes
    Remember why the good Lord made your eyes
    So don't shade your eyes
    But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize
    Only be sure always to call it please "Research" . . ."

I am glad that plagiarism does not matter in programming. I do not think I ever wrote a major program that I did not get from a textbook. In the 1980s, computers were so small and simple, any programmer could use a program and see how it worked and how to write more or less the same thing. You did not need source code. You can't do that with today's gigantic programs. Especially not with something like ChatGPT AI!

• Is peer review failing its peer review? The state of peer review is "pretty bad," according to a watchdog monitoring the rising flood of retracted papers, but fixes are possible.

Once some concept exhausts it's potential and validity scope, it's not fixable anymore. This is similar situation like with Big Bang theory: its deviations from reality are treatable, but their scope gradually increases up to moment, when no fixes are further effective. A radical change of paradigm is necessary after then.

The similarity of peer-review with Ptolemy epicycles or Big Bang theory is, both they were designed with respect to dual (inverted) premises than these ones used for making it work. Big Bang theory is based on expanding space-time perspective, not dual tired light model. Peer-review is based on classification of journals from perspective of librarians - not their authors. Once authors become capable to affect results of peer-review above certain level a positive feedback and divergence emerges.

• This is similar situation like with Big Bang theory: its deviations from reality are treatable, but their scope gradually increases up to moment, when no fixes are further effective. A radical change of paradigm is necessary after then.

Well Big Bang has always co-existed with "oscillation". And there are many varieties of "before the bang".

For non-big-bang theories looking like big bang it is just that none of them pan out.

There are many things not understood - and very fluid theoretically - about cosmology. But the fact that the universe has expanded from an initial hot state is not one of them. it is very very difficult to fit anything else to the facts.

• Academic journals are a lucrative scam – and we’re determined to change that | Arash Abizadeh
    Giant publishers are bleeding universities dry, with profit margins that rival Google’s. So we decided to start our own, says academic Arash Abizadeh
    www.theguardian.com

This is far from new. A whole decade ago the UK Pirate Party was discussing the very same problem at its national conference (yes, I was there). Some of the academic members were also proposing what is in this article. But how many of the "new journals" that were started then are still running now, I have no idea.

However, the UK Pirate Party itself eventually fizzled out.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Accelerating the Adoption of Open Science: Closing Statement Release and a Call to Action

Accelerating the Adoption of Open Science: Closing Statement Release and a Call to Action — Open Research Funders Group
    As part of its mission, the Open Research Funders Group (ORFG) cultivates robust cross-sector coalitions to advance a more open, participatory, equitable,…
    www.orfg.org

This was a conference in 2023. I'm sure they meant well, but when you get to the "closing statement" document it is just full of all the usual weasel words.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.