Tarun Member
  • Member since May 9th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Tarun

An extra reactor can be made and the two heater coils can be connected in series, doubling the resistance.
    The other reactor can be empty (or filled with alumina powder), and can serve as a control.
    I think Denis had such a setup.

Regarding thickness of the wire, if you have the link to Ecco's stuff. please post. The current situation, with the length of the reactor, the max power of the outlet of 10A, 0.7 and 0.5 mm diam are the only reasonable dimensions of the Kanthal A1 to reach powers where it get hot enough. To use thicker wires I need to have another transformer bringing down the voltage but allowing for higher currents, and that trafo must be a 1kW atleast, if not more, secondary voltage matching the ~2 Ohm coil, as to give 20A maximum. I will wait a bit before going to a thicker wire, as such a trafo is expensive, and I feel I have not yet (by far) exhausted my possibilities with what I have.

Here is Ecco's data:
    Firax Tech replic series

The downside of using a thicker wire is that it will need high currents, as you said. Its solution is to insulate everything ( like LENZ group did) by bricks etc, so a lower current can be used to reach higher temperature.

I guess there is some issue with PID parameters, its not controlling well, too much oscillation. May be the PID experts here can look at it and suggest some corrections.
    If you use a controller, the V,I and power will always be messy. You need to integrate the power before plotting. Take a running average of say 100-500 points (or whatever makes it smooth).
    I think Ecco posted a graph showing what Kanthal wires handle high powers. I think it needs to be above 2mm.
    A calibration is a must. Else you will never know where you are going.
    Other than these minor issues, you are progressing very well . :thumbup:

Thanks for the very clear description.
    Do you have a plot of calibration data plotted with active run data (Temp vs Power) ?

The question of whether the arcing or local heating caused meltdown can be answered very easily by heating a reactor without fuel (or better filled with Al powder etc). If you see the same kind of meltdown at same power and similar conditions then you can conclude that there was no lenr, else you have anomalous heat. Of course, you will need to sacrifice a reactor for that. If it takes a lot of power and higher temperatures to melt it down, then also you have a clear answer.

Since we are on the bleeding edge and in the realm of experiment, no amount of intellectual reasoning can clear the doubts 100%. Only experiments and control tests will give you confidence in results.

Very impressive and neatly arranged setup there. Excellent documentation and video intro. Looks like you are all set to make some big waves in lenr field.

The instruments are ok, you do not need million $ meters that measure upto 8 decimal places. The result will be mostly comparative (i.e. with calibration or power trends), so the errors cancel out. You are looking for big excess here , not in the range of mW, so these instruments are more than enough.

I wish there was some arrangement to feed the readings over plot.ly etc for us peanut gallery members.

Thank you Tarun.
    1. I have to translate and comment it into English . Hope it will be soon. I don't think you'll be happy with Russian.
    2. TC malfunction might be(theoretically). I check this posibility every time. However melted Steel of the reactor(and Kanthal coil) means tempearture above 1500. Second TC at the reactor end(air) also show temperature increasing with some delay- green line at the figure in the presentation. I attached zoomed picture -blue line.
    3. See picture attached- time is in seconds.

Clipping range is a problem. Actually I did not expect heat generation started at 1350 and K type of TC limit is 1370 - very close. 20 degrees is not enough for usual regulator settings. Additional 50 degrees and regulator could switch power down enough.So special mode should be programmed near the limit or switch to tungsten-rhenium TC.

Thanks for the zoomed graph. Probably the second TC was too far away to record the instant changes.
    Anyway, this is an important result, and as you said, a better TC and heater will be needed. Probably a fast acting controller too. Fast power down will prevent destruction of the reactor and we can see LENR for longer time.
    I hope we will see more results from you soon. :thumbup:

LenzandCoLab,
    Very impressive work ! :thumbup:

1. Can you please publish the raw data ? (CSV or Excel format).
    2. Can you rule out thermocouple malfunction ?
    3. How long the excess heat last ?

The first thermocouple operated near the clipping range, so there is some possibility that the data has error. I'm interested in seeing how the second thermocouple register the constant temperature while the input power was falling. Thanks.

it's probably not only a matter of heating Ni and LiAlH4 in just any sealed container.

Yes, I agree with you. There are so many more variables to try out. Probably this will simply confuse our young replicator here. So lets keep all this in mind and go ahead with something simple at first.
    (Of course, this is only my suggestion, he can start with something complex if he likes. :) )

Edit: looks like you edited your post when I was typing, but the point has been made.

The ratio is almost exactly 2:3 . Doesn't this strongly indicate that he put Al2O3 (alumina) in the powder? Then, about 50% (EDIT: by atom) of the total fuel content was alumina.

Thanks Ecco. If that analysis is of the fuel, which was used in the experiment with SS container, then it does look like he mixed Alumina in it.
    I always thought that the Alumina came from the tubes which mixed with the fuel under high temperatures.

In any case, I suggest follow these steps (if you are patient, you = backyardfusion)
    1- pure Ni in Alumina tube
    2- pure Ni in SS container
    3- Ni + alumina in SS container
    Of course LAH added to it in all cases. Actually there is no harm in trying the 3rd option if you are impatient.

All the best :thumbup: (Perhaps too early since there are 8 weeks to go)
    We all like live data streaming here :D , so try to get that working in these 8 weeks. (Using plot.ly etc)

The plan looks good. BTW, Parkhomov also used a steel container in his later experiment, so it will be a replication actually. Its good to specify exactly which experiment one wants to replicate, when there are more than one.

I'm working on better thermal coupling technique and welcome any suggestions.

The only solution I can think of is to use many TCs and average the readings.
    Even better way to avoid the contact issues/H2 poisoning/EMF noises/TC meltdowns/out of range clipping and many more issues, is to give up the direct temperature measurement method and switch to proper calorimetry.

Possibly the anomalies in the thermocouple are due to electrical interference? Did you post details about the electrics of the experiment setup?

In this setup the TC is in contact with the Nickle container. No contact with Alumina. (As far as I can see from the drawing).
    Also see the calibration curve.

Thanks Denis. The calibration looks smooth in the range 250-400°C, so there is surely something happening with the fuel in that range.
    However, I'm not sure why it doesn't show up as excess heat. Probably the heat peaks are local and the calorimeter smoothed them out by integration of total heat. ?( (Edit: Assuming no error with TC)

The calorimeter setup looks good. :thumbup:
    Have you done a calibration run (without fuel) for this calorimeter ? How did the power and temperature curve look like for calibration ?
    Is any raw data available ?

I know from Songsheng he is working on it. I guess that the problem is in the instrumentation he is using. He wants that it is interfaced with the computer, etc. Different thermocouple require different amplifier. Mostly there are available just amplifiers for type K, but for other it may not or are not so accessible, especially when you are using special equipment.
    It may take few weeks until he gets everything needed.

I know it very well from my experience.

I had no idea that buying a type B takes weeks. It does happen in gov setups, where the paper work is often more difficult and time consuming than the actual experiment. ;)
    It seems he is in a similar situation.
    Anyway, while waiting for new instruments, he could simply repeat it with a new type-K, probably avoiding the very high temperatures or SSM and concentrating on the excess heat, even if its small.

I know that its easy to simply demand such work, and real situation can be more difficult, but I'm a bit impatient and I believe that the world needs lenr so badly that it must be made a top priority by those who are lucky to get some success in it. I feel sad when I see them stuck somewhere. Hopefully we will see positive results soon.