ogfusionist Member
  • Member since Jun 11th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by ogfusionist

Congratulation! The white light indicates that the interior of the bubbles have reached solar temperature. At this temperature there must be some level of hydrogen fusion. It would be interesting to look at the electrode surface with SEM at intervals leading to the 1 hour initiation.

Good warning to heed about the hazards related to ingesting thorium. Cerium salt in the welding electrodes was introduced because of much lower radioactivity. The spark ignition welders don't need ionizing radiation from the electrode to help initiate striking the arc.

Newton and cohorts saddled us with this notion of "gravity" after misinterpreting their observation of falling. Didn't bother to really explain why its an acceleration.

Unsupported objects seem to fall because of matter expansion. This action is needed in stellar fusion to cause the proton interaction. In nanoscale fusion the catalyst serves to reduce the p to p spacing for fusion to occur.

The FiberFrax/NiO reactor requires no voltage input for hydrogen fusion. Only thermal energy to dissociate hydrogen to initiate the reaction, afterwards self sustaining. Experimentally very easy, no plasma tubes are required.

""Is the 900 MeV perhaps a "large typographical error?" Could the barrier actually be 900 kilo eV, or even less?""

A very large typographical error! How many orders of magnitude is million to thousand?

Actually not worth considering in this reaction since there is no barrier. The catalyst overcomes any barrier in the dissociated hydrogen interaction with the catalyst.

The coulomb barrier for hydrogen fusion can easily be reduced with a reactor charged with a suitable catalyst. Considering a theoretical barrier is a useless exercise when actually witnessing a reactor in operation. This is a new and unique level of physics requiring a new view of activation energy associated with hydrogen fusion.

At dissociation temperature for hydrogen gas the catalyst will cause hydrogen fusion. There is little or no coulomb barrier because the atomic proximity in this interaction overcomes any repulsive force. I've done this as a lab experiment 50 years ago and have been waiting for someone to repeat the process.

The experiment was to check the stability of nickelous oxide paint in hydrogen at 1000 C. I was asked by management to verify that the material would maintain color as a ceramic paint. My Variac/transformer would just meet this requirement. At 830 C. thermal run away occurred and the tube housing the alumina FiberFrax/NiO melted. I now realize that what had occurred was simply hydrogen fusion. Gas chromatography indicated a small increase in helium after flow through the operating reactor.

After 50 years this fusion it's still inconclusive because of the focus on nickel with various impurity levels leading to trial and error results. Instead nickelous oxide suspension on alumina fiberfrax will give very good repeat ability. The NiO particles must be submicron in size.

All my posts are on this forum.

Lets pin down the acronym lenr as low energy nanoscale reaction. My experiment with nano particle nickelous oxide and witnessing hydrogen fusion defines my ideology related to lenr. It's a path to free energy that the world economy can not accommodate. The present availability of oil for heat projects the use of lenr into the distant future. We will learn how to use this gift after being burnt a few times.

The extensive ball milling I used introduced alumina in the low percentage range. The analysis was by emission spectroscopy. The amount of alumina was expected from previous work; the wear on the alumina pot and rollers is considerable when long milling intervals are used.

The Novamet process is a carbonyl nickel reaction that implies a high degree of purity. Starting with this for the fusion experiment would indicate if alumina is necessary in the reactor charge. I'd expect that if the alumina FiberFrax is green after impregnation the material would initiate hydrogen fusion. Certainly worth a try. Once the simple reactor configuration is assembled experiments to find optimum catalyst purity would be easy to repeat.

For this repeat of the FiberFrax/NiO/H2 experiment I'd recommend bottled hydrogen as the gas source. No point putting up with the dangerous properties of LiAlH4 when bottled gas works fine. For the NiO slurry I'd recommend Reagent Grade NiO from a chemical supply source. The shelf grade paint test would come later. The NiO should be ball milled until colloidal in size. Air firing of the alumina FiberFrax before soaking with the slurry should be ok. Inexpensive Chromel/Alumel couples worked fine for this temperature range For this test for replication I'd stick to the protocol I've posted. First see if it replicates then test variations.

"He should have added: Unfortunately, to replicate an experiment, you need poetry and imagination."

Interesting quote, unfortunately the most important was neglected. Also needed is work... and less talk. Maybe Planks' interpretation of experiment implied work. Nowadays it's mostly talk and little doing.

It has been 50+ years since I started the Fiberfrax/NiO/H2 reaction in my lab. and have been following posts since then. It has been entertaining.

Too bad the e-cat scenario has such a strangle hold on internet discussions. Nanoscale NiO fusion is real but the world economy is not ready for this promise of free energy. So let's keep talking, being entertained and using oil for energy.

Please delete.

This is probably just the opposite of your interest in activation energy. We wanted to insure that a tube sitting in a silo for seven years would fire when required. This coating reduced the permeation of hydrogen through the nickel envelope by a factor of 10,000. A well processed tube had no problem with an other gas. Hydrogen is insidious and continuously moves through metals. After finding that the patented coating was more than adequate we followed up with a test using a palladium diffuser to inlet hydrogen into a tube up to the expected pressure without the barrier coating. About a micron if I recall correctly. Turned out that the hot filament and cathode is a great pump for H2 and the tube had no problem meeting microwave specs after about 10 seconds.

These tubes as missile guidance systems were nearly used many years ago when our radar identified the rising moon as a Soviet missile launch and almost launched a counter attack.

"My current end-of-life commitment is to assist in finding catalytic systems (means to lower activation energies) for enhancing the rates of beneficial, or at least useful, nuclear transformations...."

Above is quote from your post. Interesting work, I have a patent resulting from a "seven year shelf life" study related to hydrogen permeation. Just about the time I'd decided that there was no way to change the dissociation of the hydrogen molecule on metal surfaces I found a way.

My report on the NiO/FiberFrax hydrogen fusion experimental results before leaving work:

The analyses were done on a quadrupole RGA. The vacum envelope was modified to allow attachment of a molecular flow source aimed at the quadrupole ionizer. This allowed analysis of high amu isotopes. Distinction between deuterium and helium was no problem at the lower amu. Results indicated that the fusion produced helium exclusively. The upper temperature limit was 830 C. The molecular flow source was a thermal evaporator used to inject gas from the reactor charge material after the fusion process had been run.

I've certainly taken your chemical advice seriously and thank you for that.

One point is that the pyrex was at atmospheric pressure or greater because there were no restrictions to flow. Reduced pressure was not responsible for the tubing collapse. The transformer power available shouldn't have been enough to cause what I observed. My disclosure has been complete as I review all my posts, and at my age and financial security I have no interest in making money on this as an invention. Also there is the frustration at being house bound with no access to a laboratory for a repeat of the reactor experiment. I'd like before leaving the scene to have someone repeat what I've observed and report sucess or failure. Then I'd rest easy. No fishing here, never liked the idea of using bait. My approach to doing experiments has always been to take varied positions relative to interpreting results.

So, to reiterate simply take a colloidal suspension of green nickelous oxide and soak into FiberFrax (alumina fibers) and stuff into an alumina cylinder with a high temp fiberoptics probe imbedded into the reactor charge. Set up the reactor with hydrogen flow and slowly heat to 830 C. There should be a sudden thermal increase when fusion initiates. Let's do it rather than endlessy talk about it.