ogfusionist Member
  • Member since Jun 11th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by ogfusionist

I now believe that the exothermal measurement from my NiO/fiberfrax experiment was simply the result of partial reduction of the NiO in hydrogen. Wishful thinking played a part in the misinterpretation. Partial retention of the characteristic green NiO color played a part in the illusion.

Intelligent Design must be responsible for free energy unavailability. The unlimited supply of food that would become available to the world population would quickly cause this globe to be completely covered with critters.

I've worked on the early PG&E uranium fission reactors and know how well they work. My concern is with this latest home E-cat style fad. A statistical analysis of the probability that nanoscale fusion is possible leads to zero probability. I can stop worrying about fusion national grid problems, it's been a pipe dream.

Please contribute your opinion on the probability of utilizing the thermal output from hydrogen fusion on a national scale. Is there a chance considering the competition with the fission process the gas and electric monopolies control?

I'm realizing through this exercise that an 80 year old brain works much more slowly than a 40 year old one. I'm having recollection problems

Anyway, I used alumina because it was readily available in the lab. Kanthal would be ok for the heater, I used nichrome. If this process repeats, here is what will happen. At the magic 830 C the H2 dissociates and interacts with the NiO array and all hell breaks loose. If some control isn't present either throttling or heat extraction with a heat exchanger the reactor undergoes meltdown. It happens fast!

The fiberfrax was hydrogen and vacuum fired before adding the ball milled NiO. The slurry was NiO in amyl acetate with methacrylate binder. Ball milling had been for months in the chem lab. I think about 1 micron is the limit for ceramic rollers because the particles support the rollers and won't fracture further.

Check into nickel carbonyl as a way to thermally decompose a compound and leave a nanoscale deposit. Loading fiberfrax with this gas and thermally decomposing it would be interesting. Requires extreme protection because of toxicity. We wore gas masks when working with this.

Thanks for your fiberfrax offer------but I'd have to have a hydrogen cylinder and other accessories here at my daughter's and granddaughters home and it's no no.

If the discovery of how to use fire seems important this fusion reaction would dwarf it. My reactor melt down was done once and am anxious to repeat it with greater care.

No problem with either quartz or alumina for the reactor tube. Either would melt if the reaction isn't controlled. The heat generated is enormous.

I think the reaction is related to the periodicity of the nickel in the nickelous oxide matrix. This nanometer structure allows the proton/nickel interaction to overcome the repulsion barrier between protons with consequent fusion. Fortunately only a very small amount of helium results with this crude arrangement. Stars can get very hot.

I'm at a loss to remember why I soaked some ball milled NiO into fiberfrax, stuffed it into a tube and run hydrogen gas through the tube while monitoring the temperature years ago while working in my lab. I do remember the big surprise at 830 C. The green NiO was used as paint material for labeling ceramics at work and I was probably interested in decomposition when hydrogen firing.

The lack of interest in the RAGOEL reactor causes me to go dormant but now I see there is some renewed interest. So, I'm back as the old fusionist. Thanks, Longview for your concern about my health. I'm almost 90 and still extremely interested in this mysterious interaction of hydrogen with NiO at nanoscale dimensions.

I'd like to see if my results can be repeated. The most important issue is the green NiO particle size. Must be ball milled until colloidal in size (approaching nanometer dimension). Next is the deposition of this suspension on fiberfrax. The fiberfrax should be vacuum fired at 1000 C to condition the material and protected from moisture until the NiO suspension is added.