magicsound MFMP
  • Male
  • from Santa Cruz, California USA (UTC -8)
  • Member since Jul 19th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by magicsound

Almost forty years ago I started thinking about how to embed Asimov's Three Laws into an operating system at the CPU level. I was inspired by Warren McCulloch's treatise on neural networks. I conceived a solution I called Integrated Morality Logic ("IML") and got as far as defining a few functional blocks that I thought could be instantiated in TTL chips, which I referred to as "Commandments".

My colleagues thought I was joking and I got zero support, so the project was abandoned. But it stayed in my mind as one of the most challenging and important problems in cybernetics, and remains so as Mats points out.

Paradigmnoia Do you mean that you made up the link text, or did you retype it from an actual page address?

It could be entirely accidental that when pasted into Firefox it brings up a possibly malicious page.

It turns out that wtfmagazine is a real thing, and though it seems to live only on facebook, the domain does exist.

If your post appeared around 1 April I might have suspected it to be a response to QuantumHeat's GlowStick LENR Heater. But it's a bit early for that kind of thing.

CAUTION!!!

The link posted above by Para. seems to bring up a potential browser hijack site safetybrowsing dot com. There's also a typo (misplaced colon) in the URL, and correcting that triggers a security alert in Firefox. So proceed at your own risk.

The "About" page at mizunotech.com shows the following credit for the lab photo used:

"Photo used under Creative Commons from UC Davis College of Engineering"

The lab setup may be LENR-related, and the vessel on the stand could be an electrolytic cell. Other images revealed by following the link above show the attached display and some other details of the setup. The site further identifies:

Coleman Kronawitter Lab in the Department of Chemical Engineering. The lab conducts fundamental research in catalysis science and energy conversion applications. The research staff will be photographed operating catalytic reactors, advanced mass spectroscopy characterization instrumentation, and lab-designed reactors for operando Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. March 1, 2019. (Reeta Asmai/UC Davis).

The individuals shown are definitely staff and students of the lab at UC Davis. Are they part of the Mizuno Tech team, or perhaps they did some research in association or on contract with Mizuno Tech.

Use of the image by Mizuno Tech may not comply with the Copyrights policy of UC Davis:

Photographs are not to be used in the promotion of any commercial product or in other publications without further permission. They are copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California.

Here are the RGA plots for MR4 Cal6, showing the appearance of mass-3 after the calibration heating. Note that residual water is more than an order of magnitude lower than the initial D2 detection, and there is no sign of free Oxygen or Nitrogen at the end of the test.

In the course of my Mizuno replication work, I found that the cell (304 alloy) continued to out-gas after many days of bake-out at 250°C and ~1E-5 Torr vacuum. In the most recent test, after the bake-out, 300 Pa of D2 was added at ambient temp. The cell content was monitored with a mass spec and as the temperature rose above 250°C, a substantial mass=3 signal gradually appeared, at a rate increasing with temperature. No evidence of O or N was seen. This suggests that the out-gassing is mono-atomic H, which then forms HD (mass=3).

The pressure did not stabilize with temperature but rose linearly above the equilibrium predicted by the standard gas law. My conclusion from this is that hydrogen is trapped in the stainless steel grain boundaries during manufacturing and is released when heating and expansion opens the metallic structure.

The chart below from an excellent book on vacuum systems confirms that what I'm seeing is expected behavior. My concern is whether it may have a functional role in the Mizuno R20-type reactors. If the range of isotopic ratio required for activation of the NAE is narrow (high q) , replication becomes more difficult.

This document suggests that substantial reduction in out-gassing can be achieved by extended baking at 400 C, which can be reached with the Mizuno-type external heater, without insulation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5226402/

However, such pretreatment of the cell is not mentioned in the Mizuno R20 recipe as posted by Jed, nor in the various documents published by Mizuno. If those descriptions are accurate, the presence of a substantial H fraction in the Mizuno cells must be assumed. So my question is what role the isotopic ratio plays in the success (COP>1) or failure of such cells. This issue is important enough that I have suspended testing until it can be resolved sufficiently to guide the experimental procedure.

Measuring voltages in a high RF environment is tricky. If the RF signal is enough to affect your DSL modem, it would probably also affect the internal circuitry of a nearby digital voltmeter, which has a very high impedance input circuit. To test this, try the experiment with the voltmeter as far as possible from the arc, and connected to the battery with a shielded cable.

One question I have is how on earth can the CNT system work in the gas phase when all the carefully structured CNT frameworks would be vaporised?

Think Hydrotons. It seems possible, though the ID is bigger than Ed's cracks.

Would the electric fields on the inside of a CNT be enough to constrain deuterons to the center axis? Production of low energy photons would be a possible path of quantized energy release and diffuse thermalization.

Hmm, the abstract says "200 w/kg" or 0.2 w/g. Not much but the energy output over time (days or weeks) could be substantial.

Edit to add: Moved your post here magicsound as the idea is not to comment on the News/Media/library thread. Hope it doesn´t bother you ( Curbina ).

Thanks for the move. I was aware of the "no comments" request but thought it was important enough to mention. It's more appropriate here.

Researchers who are going to replicate the experiment, you can find useful details here

https://patentimages.storage.g…e1a2a7/WO2012088472A1.pdf

(Figures etc..)

That is very different from the experiment described at the start of this thread. The device and procedure in that patent are far from trivial and would be hard to duplicate without serious investment. For example, the conflat cell is to be built of Inconel and all parts and valves must be SC-11 clean and UV rated. These are not off the shelf" parts. A three-stage vacuum system with ion pump is also needed, with a base vacuum of 1E-8 Torr!

Finally, a typical quadrupole RGA would not be able to discriminate between He and D2 (both ~mass=4), and that was not considered. Measurement of He at ppm levels is a very skilled specialty, due to the many technical challenges and the possibility of leakage from ambient.

Nickel carbonate usually occurs as a light green crystalline solid or a brown powder. It dissolves in ammonia and dilute acids but is insoluble in hot water, easy tests to make. But if it appeared using distilled water, where would the carbonate come from?

Does the brown deposit appear without using the plastic tube? Try substituting a glass tube if you have something suitable.