magicsound MFMP
  • Male
  • from Santa Cruz, California USA (UTC -8)
  • Member since Jul 19th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by magicsound

If it works better towards embedding more of the stuff into the burnished layer it could also have the advantage of being less hazardous due to the significantly reduced amount of airborne dust particles.

To clarify this, the sanding is where the Ni dust particles are created. I did that step under flowing water. The Calcite crystals are formed in the final step of soaking at 90°C in still tap water.

I annealed the Pd prior to use, and saw no apparent erosion of the Ni from the burnishing. Thus there was no Ni dust and no water needed. Mask and gloves just to be sure though.

Impressive effect of mixing of the Pd with Ca!!! do you suspect the same feature would be found in Mizuno’s prepared meshes?

Yes, that is why I included the Sapporo water analysis in my first report. There's slightly less Ca content than my own water supply but still plenty to support catalyzed precipitation.

The images I posted were taken after only a brief burnishing, about 30 strokes in each direction with my 5 x 8 mm piece of Pd. Here's a zoomed-out image.

Now they work. The photos are interesting. Looks like some of the carbonates are being embedded together with Pd

Not only embedded - the crystals are being shattered and smeared against the Ni surface. You can see that in the first image, to the left of the blob of Pd. From the second image, the Calcite remnants are reduced to <500 nm particles, mixed in with the Pd.

How lengthy is to run a SEM analysis like this? I'm curious to see what would happen if the burnishing was performed with the substrate wetted with or immersed in a concentrated carbonate solution. This could be done as a preliminary inexpensive test with Al or Cu on a steel surface using any carbonate you have at disposal.

I think burnishing wet would carry away much of the Calcite particles in suspension, but that test wouldn't take long. I'll add it to the queue.

But using Al or Cu might not work. I suspect the Ni catalyzes the formation of the crystals, and other metals might not. That also could be tried but a similar mesh form would be needed, whatever metal is used.

I've just finished my first pass at burnishing the Ni mesh supplied by Jed. As I reported earlier the preparation process described in the paper results in deposits of CaCO3 crystals on the mesh.

Here's a teaser of what happens when Pd burnishing is applied over the treated surface. My full report will be posted tomorrow (Friday).

even if Google replicates Mizuno, you can be sure there will be no news of it in any mainstream newspaper or magazine.

I think that hardly matters any more. While exact statistics are not available for Google's search traffic, all the estimates I see are well over 10^9 (one billion) searches per day. Google can put anything they want in the cute little Google Doodle space at the top of their search page. So if they have something to say, a substantial part of the entire worlds population will see it within a day or two.

There are a few discrepancies in the Deneum report that should be mentioned: the heater hasn't been described and it's visibly not the same as the Mizuno spec. The video shows them making the feed-through joints with gas torches and what appears to be silver solder. I suppose that could be OK if it pumps down and holds vacuum well, but it would add other elements into the cell that were not in the Mizuno R20. And the temperature control by a large variac implies they are using AC heater power. Also, the Mizuno R20 paper specified 100-300 Pa for the D2 pressure, and made it quite clear that attempting to load the Ni mesh by using D2 at 6 kPa (60 millibar) or more should be avoided, or the cell will not work. According to the video, they added 30-50 mbar in the final test.

That said, It's a good first attempt, and their adding additional D2 pressure at the end is an understandable use of opportunity following the initial null result.

Prototype half-scale cell 40 x 300 mm. The heater is a 150 watt cartridge inserted in the thermowell. I'll initially assemble it without Ni mesh, for vacuum testing and bake out. The ports are both 3/8" Swagelok, welded to the end caps.

If the meshes are a source of energy, won't there be a ton of self-generated infrared light?

That is one possibility. However, there has been substantial talk of the primary product of LENR being particle emission (protons or alphas), photons of higher or lower energy than IR (UV or 12 THz RF) , or even "strange radiation" (EVOs), any of which could be thermalised, converted to heat by the stainless steel reactor shell. All we know from the description is that there are few or no neutrons as a reaction product.

One could wind up a custom heater coil with whatever feasible characteristics as desired

It's probably not a good idea to put a bare heater wire in the cell, despite the possible increase in available IR emission. At low vacuum and high heat there will be metal ions from the wire spreading around in the cell. The heater used by Mizuno is sheathed in stainless steel and was likely chosen for that reason as well as others. The sheath is also electrically isolated from the heating power, an important detail in my experience.

I've proposed a stainless steel thermo-well with cartridge heater(s) inserted in it as a low-cost alternative. For those interested, suitable tubes are available for around $12 from brewershardware.com

AlanG

For concentric cylinders the thermal conductance (W/K) is given by L*2*pi*theta/(ln(R1/R2) (theta = 0.3W/m-K). That is ~0.1 W/K, so for say 600K difference in T we have 60W transferred for L=0.2, R1/R2 = 20. (someone should check this).

Your ΔT at 600K seems a a bit high. If the outer tube's inner surface is at 200°C, that would put the heater at 800°C, probably above its safe operating temperature, though it might reach that at the high end of reported input power (300 watts?). I think ΔT=400K would be more realistic.

Your R1/R2 ratio needs some thought as well. Since the length of the heater sheath is 2 meters, it must be folded into 3 or 4 runs to fit into the cell. Its outer diameter is given as 2.8 mm; if 3 lengths as folded, R2eq for equivalent surface area would be 4.2 mm, and for 4 lengths of heater R2eq=5.6 mm. The cell tube inner radius R1 is given as 53.8 mm, so R1/R2 would be 12.8 for 3 heater lengths or 9.6 for 4. This ignores possible shadowing and similar effects within the bundle of heater sheath runs.

And if L refers to the length of the concentric cylinders in meters, that should be 0.6 or 600 mm as described.

I would like to come up with a simplified mathematical model of the internal heater and the outer cylinder. I assume that since the pressure is that low 1-3 mbars heat transfer and convection can be neglected. Therefore we have only radiation between heater and outer wall. Please correct me if i am wrong. If you have reliable info i can then crosscheck what i have available. Thx

I'm a bit sorry to complicate this seemingly endless argument, but some assumptions made in this discussion need questioning:

The thermal conductivity of Deuterium is the highest of any conventional gas, and is nearly 6 times that of air. Further, the conductivity does not decline much with pressure (until below a critical point ~10 Pa) and increases significantly with temperature. At the ~100-300 Pa pressure recommended by Mizuno, it is 0.21 W/m-K at 20°C and 0.30 W/m-K at 300°C.

In contrast to this, the convective heat transfer in the cell is determined by the specific heat and thermal viscosity of the gas. These are rather low for Hydrogen and Deuterium due to the low mass of the gas molecules. It may be that both convection and conduction are of trivial magnitude compared to the radiant energy, but we won't know until/unless someone looks at the numbers. Having now raised the issue, my part in this is done....

Here are a couple of references with useful data:

http://www.ethermo.us/Show7Vatemp!573.15!1~press!6!2.htm Excellent on line modeller for gas thermodynamics and transport properties

https://www.engineersedge.com/…al-conductivity-gases.htm

I like the HP/Agilent 65XX series of analog supplies. They're widely available on eBay and surplus electronics dealers for $500 or less. I got a 6555A for this project, $220 with shipping. It's 0-120 vdc @ 0-4a, and 500 watts max. It has both constant current and constant voltage adjustments, and fully isolated output. These weigh around 35 kg and are beautifully built and very reliable. Some versions with GPIB interface may cost a bit more.

AlanG