magicsound MFMP
  • Male
  • from Santa Cruz, California USA (UTC -8)
  • Member since Jul 19th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by magicsound

Some obscure but relevant favorites:

Bjork - Crystalline

Crystallizing galaxies

Spread out like my fingers

Internal Nebula (crystalline)

Rocks growing slowmo (crystalline)

Conquer claustrophobia (crystalline)
    And demand the light

King Gizzard - Nuclear Fusion

The devil's inside all the detail

The title runs wild under veil

Coming together in the pattern

Fit tightly like a dovetail
    Nuclear fusion

All the bonds that be couldn't break us

Exponentially in fine feather

We're essentially one being

All the bonds that be couldn't tear us

From eventually fusing tightly

We're essentially one being

Nuclear fusion

Vampgirl1999 - "Cold Fusion Debate" (soundtrack)

And some old classics;

Stones - "Start Me Up"

Doors - "Light My Fire"

OK, I see the connection (pun intended).

Holmlid's chamber is at vacuum, and and his laser pulse power density (4 x 1013 W/cm2) is many orders higher than that of the arc events we are seeing.

It would be easy enough to surround the cell with a metal cylinder connected to the scope at 50 ohms. But the large RF signal we know to be present would make it hard or impossible to detect a simultaneous pulse of charged particles.

I don't think a scope will show up any SR-induced voltage signal at its input impedance of 1 Megohm. Just 1 micro ampere is ~6 x 1012 electrons/sec, and that would require a lot of captured SR. What's needed is a metal-leaf electroscope, which I have proposed before and have thought of building. The design linked above is very simple to build but not as sensitive as a traditional one using gold leaf. I do have some silver leaf that will work, and will put one together with that when time permits.

I think the neutron data is potentially RF-induced, since these detectors were found to be somewhat sensitive to a nearby fluorescent light in past tests. In the absence of a null for comparison, I wouldn't attach any significance to the data.

Regarding the scope attached to a plate external to the cell, there would definitely be some RF pickup. During my search for grounding problems, I used a loop detector simply made by clipping the probe ground lead to the tip. I could easily find and display EMI resulting from the clapper mechanism arcing in air, including the 224 MHz peak I previously reported. That high frequency stuff seems absent from emissions of sparking under water. The self-capacitance of the wet cell should be an effective low-pass filter for such high frequency RF.

Yeah, I saw that. Here's the error log from the software that runs the labjack. I think its USB interface froze or maybe there was a glitch from one of the input lines or from RF noise. The control program's Python error log shows a failed read attempt:

AIN1_EF_READ_A Labjack read_variable Error, 19 23:27:21

File "C:\Users\DELL\Dropbox\MFMP_Python\MFMP Oct 2018 v7\mfmp_labjack.py", line 225, in read_variable

variable = ljm.eReadName(self.handle, port)

File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\labjack\ljm\ljm.py", line 567, in eReadName

error = _staticLib.LJM_eReadName(handle, name.encode("ascii"), ctypes.byref(cVal))

The video is available for playback at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO7R_Kk2hFg

The cell starts singing at 15:13 on the red in-display time. I agree the onset seems to be somewhat temperature-related. As to the cause, it is related to a train of short (~100 usec) pulses seen on the scope display as shown above, so it isn't just boiling-related. See the region starting at 15:15. The audio frequency is correlated with the pulse interval of about 1 msec. This is very good data to have.

For reference, the scope horizontal axis is 1 msec/division and the vertical is 5 volts/division.

I noticed that radiation instrumentation readings are frozen. Water temperature has also remained to 108.1 °C for a while.

The labjack USB connection shut down, so the data stopped updating. Another detail to fix, but the audio and power monitoring worked OK.

Regarding the resonant noise, it was clearly related to a series of short (100 usec) discharge events as shown on the scope. There was also some fireworks visible on the camera image of the cell, though dimmed by the nearly-opaque electrolyte.

This is much more interesting if you try to think of a magic act that could produce a similar output from similar inputs
    First, get a 400W power supply that can be set to limit at 20V and 19A.
    Connect the power supply output directly to the gas discharge tube.

Wire a resistor in series with a piezo barbeque grill lighter (with a big red button) and also connect that across the discharge tube.

Connect the scope across the resistor.

Great idea Robert, let's do it.

I have an Agilent 6553 power supply that might work. Can you supply a suitable discharge tube?

magicsound

That sounds like a good plan, but loose, granular, or water-soluble materials like those I suggested might not be very practical to use in that case. Perhaps something like stainless steel (or other material) wool or fine mesh could work better with a water flow through it, but it wouldn't be zero- or near-zero cost.

Under the theoretical scenario described, emissions might vary depending on the heavy material/elements used in the shielding/absorbing material.

Two materials that are readily available are fine gravel (2-6 mm) and cellulose sponge. The gravel would work dry or wet and would block most gammas as well as less energetic photons. Cellulose sponge is mostly lighter elements: (C6H10O5)n and would pass energetic gammas and moderate any neutrons. Potential effect of these materials on EVOs needs discussion.

Alan Smith

Magnetite is certainly a possible constituent of the sludge. Can you suggest an unambiguous chemical test for its presence in such mixed ferrous/ferric amalgams?

can

Yes I can put the glass jar in a surround like your suggestion. That will result in thermal insulation of the cell and lead to more rapid heating of the contents. A natural progression from this scheme would be to provide water flow through the solid filler material. This would enable both controlling the temperature of the electrolyte and a crude form of mass flow calorimetry.

A while back I linked this source (specifically, DOE-HDBK-1015/1-93, page 117 of the PDF document or CH-02 Page 15) on the corrosion of iron in water at various pH levels. Going along figure 7, it might have taken a slightly lower pH to accelerate the process to a much quicker rate.

It started at around pH=1.5 but the electrolytic current was too high at 15 amperes. So I diluted it to the present level, which gave 3-4 amps. For the next run, I've removed about 1/3 of the liquid to give 5 cm of immersion. That will also reduce the current, so a bit more acid may be needed to set the current again.

I left the electrodes immersed in tap water overnight, to prevent drying of the residue that ended yesterday's test.

This morning scraped the residue out with a putty knife. It was completely soft and came out easily. The residue is mostly black in color, with only a few traces of red rust. After a thorough rinse, the electrodes now conduct well and don't need to be disassembled.

The residue is also strongly magnetic, so probably contains mostly Iron particles. That also explains why it concentrated in the gap, drawn there by the field of the Nd button magnet at the top of the cathode. So next test the magnet will not be used. I'll set the gap a bit closer, maybe 1 mm. The clacker mechanism will not be activated until the first sign of arcing is seen. At that point it will be driven at low frequency by a reverse sawtooth, pulling the electrodes apart periodically to (hopefully) prevent latch-up.

After that I'll try connecting the clapper driver input directly to the 0 to1V signal from the current shunt resistor. That will essentially create a buzzer mechanism, should be interesting....

Here's how the electrodes look. Not surprising that there was no contact!

The cathode on the left is almost invisible under the crud. It's made from a piece of 1/8 inch mild steel strap.

The anode made from a thicker piece stayed surprisingly clean by comparison.

did you have the AM radio running at the time and noticed broadband noise increasing as current also increased?

Unfortunately my lab environment is pretty noisy for AM radio. The noise comes from outside my property, probably from the 22 kV power lines that run down my street. I've struggled with it during years of short-wave radio listening, and haven't found a solution.