magicsound MFMP
  • Male
  • from Santa Cruz, California USA (UTC -8)
  • Member since Jul 19th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by magicsound

I note that the "Average Power" trace on the streaming coverage of the replication is currently (Tuesday Apr 10, showing temperature cycling between 500C and 800C) much smoother and more in line with my expectations of a 5 minute moving average than it was previously during the ramp. Not sure why.

Under the cycling regime, the temperatures really never settle, so the PID is always trying to catch up with the thermal settling time, and the sign of the differential (the "D" in PID control) only flips as the cycle reverses. The result is relative absence of servo hunting and a smoother curve.

We will soon change from 1 hour to 15-minute cycling interval in response to advice received by BobG from LION.

can

As you suggested, Plotly no longer supports persistent data in the cloud. I am collecting the data locally from Labjack and will post the files as soon as the experiment ends, in a couple of hours. Thanks again for offering your perception and skill for this important analysis of the experiment.

@Bruce_H

The Average Power is a 300 second trailing average, so it will not be perfectly centered in the messy Watts graph. It is calculated from the Watt-Hours integration of the Tektronix PA1000, read once per second into a Python array and the delta then divided by elapsed seconds. Because the sampling is asynchronous with the PA1000 integration, there will be measurement jitter of one part in 300 using this technique, so the average power plot is not perfectly smooth, but it's close enough.

Experiment details and links to data files (when available) can be seen in the Live Doc at:

https://docs.google.com/docume…wa9T_mpyErhsCppMXxizazc5s

The first LION-AG active run started at 23:50 UTC on 7 April. The streaming data is available at

https://plot.ly/~QuantumHea...

Plotly update is pretty slow, so be patient and it will eventually show the moving graph of temps and power.

The fuel load and core construction are as close to the LION-provided description as possible, but with added thermocouples for measurement of the core temperature. Five calibrations were performed, showing good stability and measurement accuracy of around ±5°C and ±3 watts at 800°C. The initial program is a 48-hour linear ramp from 100 C to 800 C, followed by a soak period or temperature cycling, depending on conditions at that time. Full details of the experimental setup will be made available shortly.

Images and data will be made available as the experiment progresses.

AlanG

This picture shows the diamond after the month long deuterium soak. A facet plane appears that happened to be horizontal to the disc. This view enables a look at higher magnification of surface features with some depth of field. The result in this image is pretty cool, lots of tiny tetrahedral crystals growing out of the surface. The smallest ones visible are around 1 micron, and because of the wide range of dimension seen, there are likely to be many sub-micron ones as well.

Axil, please don't cross-post my images without attribution. You also mis-quoted the details from my original post: the diamond pads have only been in D2O for two weeks, NOT "the month-long Deuterium soak".

Really, you should be following standard "good practice" by only posting a link to my original, especially since it appeared in another thread on this forum:

The LION experiment

AlanG

How many of these details have MFMP and LFH succeeded in replicating so far?

We are still in early days of replication, with at least two in development - Alan Smith's at LFH and my own at Magicsound Lab. We will both be using LION's fuel preparation and loading as close as the known details allow. Alan Smith has kindly supplied me with an LFH Friendly Robot reactor, as used by LION.

Because there wasn't formal calorimetry of the first two reported LION tests, I have taken that on as the focus of my replication. Full calibration will start next week, as soon as some more sheathed thermocouples arrive.

Time permitting, I'll try to stream the calibration data live, using the Plotly screen we set up for GS5.4 (Link TBD)

AlanG

In response to Axil's suggestion at ECW, here are some images of the diamond pads before and after the bake/soak treatment. The first two images are of the raw pads, still attached to the green resin backing sheet. The first image is with side lighting only, and shows the color of the diamonds tinted by reflected light off the backing, . The second image is with through-the-lens direct lighting, and shows bright gold-tinted reflections from the polished nickel backing of the disc. Some of the gold color is also reflected back through the diamonds, giving them more false color.

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

The third image is of a pad removed from the D2O soaking after two weeks. The changes are subtle, but some details may be revealed after further study. The small area in the central red circle is a facet plane that happened to be horizontal to the disc, which enabled a look at higher magnification with some depth of field. The result in image 4 is pretty cool, lots of tiny tetrahedral crystals growing out of the surface. The smallest ones visible are around 1 micron, and because of the wide range of dimension seen, there are likely to be many sub-micron ones as well.

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

I'm not saying that these nano-scale features resulted from the bake/soak treatment. I wasn't looking in the raw material, but having seen this, I would surely have a closer look with SEM (if I had one).

AlanG

I have occasionally played with the idea that the "Universe" we live in is really a simulation in some enormous computing system. This is not a new hypothesis, but is so far not testable, just a 'mind game'.

Having said that, we can still examine the implications. In this schema sentient "Beings" would be linked pieces of self-modifying object code, with reproduction being equivalent to object spawning. And the overall operating system is what we commonly refer to as "The Laws of Nature".

Thus the job of Science is to reverse-engineer the OS of the Universe. Now suppose that there is a weak memory partition (or backdoor) in the OS, such that the self-modifying nature of the Being objects can, through many iterations, change the embedded constants and subroutines of the OS. Thus, as the consensus beliefs of "Civilization" evolve over time, the nature of the Universe might also evolve. IOW, if enough people believe and act as if something is possible, then it eventually can become possible. LENR? -we're getting closer! FTL travel? Keep thinking about and working on it....

Don't misunderstand me please. This is a passion play script, a parable for progress rather than a statement of faith. But just as it is not provable (yet), it is also not disprovable. So I try to keep an open mind while still paying attention to things that are definable and testable.

AlanG

magicsound

There's no water- even the tube cement plug was dry. The quartz tube is a previously used one and merely a little milky. It's direct from the same manufacturer as the others though. There's no heavy water anywhere, and the exposed end is plugged with alumina wool - which has collected some carbon-smoke from the ingredients and discoloured a little.

Thanks for the shipping schedule, much appreciated.

This is the apparent water I was asking about. I suppose it could be chips in the quartz tube itself.

Well, not in Ethyl Acetate, Hexane, Heptane or Limonene - tried those without effect. Chlorinated Hydrocarbons are the kind of thing that would probably work. but they are hard to get now.

I tried some Jasco paint stripper, which contains Methylene Chloride. It didn't soften the green resin top layer, but after an hour it seems to be weaking the resin bond to the cloth substrate, where the diamond discs are attached.

Other common chemicals including NaOH (oven cleaner), concrete etch (HCl) and Carburetor cleaner (Acetone and MEK) had no visible effect.

Interesting magicsound! Would you like to tell us more about this spark plug and how you were planning to use it?

I think for such a discharge copper would be an interesting metal to use, because Nikola Tesla discovered that copper electrodes could produce dartlets that could fly out. I suspect they were EVOs. He was hit by one an almost killed. However, when he switched to aluminum electrodes the problem went away.

I developed this design as part of my Simple Cell reactor, about 4 years ago. The complete project notes can be seen at:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/alang152/simplecell

I put the project aside while working on the GlowStick series, but I have all the parts on hand, just needing final machining. It's a fairly good platform for plasma mode research, but doesn't allow for meaningful calorimetry. So experiment design would therefore have to focus on materials science and possible detection of reaction products.

AlanG

Dave wrote:This cheat could be tested for by disconnecting the scope probe ground, and seeing whether the eCat continues to heat without that connection.

Was that tried?

This brings up another important potential issue (pun intended), that may have already been mentioned. It looks like a typical 10:1 scope probe was used. Pro-grade scopes like the Tektronix used for the demo will sense the type of a compatible probe, and correctly adjust the display of screen resolution. The probe shown in the demo video looks like the probe shown on the Tek web site, but the probe is not identified in the list posted by Mats Lewan, and should be confirmed so that the scope input gain and thus its voltage display can be verified.

Further, the scope used has only 50 mHz bandwidth, and would not show any microwave energy present at the point of measurement. MFMP's recent work replicating microwave stimulus of plasma suggests that this is a real possibility, one not detectable by the scope used. It could also explain the need for substantial fan cooling in the power supply/control box.

I mention these issues knowing full well that certain aggressive skeptics here will seize and run with any possible criticism of the demo. There's already adequate cause for doubt and I remain undecided, with hope that such issues can be cleared up by Mats Lewan. For example, the Tektronix display should have shown the type of probe it sensed, whether 10:1 or 1:1, and he appears to have been the principal observer that might have noted such a detail.

AlanG