magicsound MFMP
  • Male
  • from Santa Cruz, California USA (UTC -8)
  • Member since Jul 19th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by magicsound

MR4.1 update: After 20 hours at 100 watts, pressure continued to increase, though at a slower rate. RGA sampling showed that all free D2 had gone into reduction of oxides and carbonate, leaving predominantly CO2 (mass 44) and D2O (detected as OD+, mass 18). Traces of N2 (mass 28) and O (mass 16) also appeared.

One consequence of this process is shown by the core temperature remaining 10°C cooler than the cell body, due to the lower thermal conductivity of the product gases. In prior calibrations with 300 Pa of D2 but without meshes, those temperatures stayed typically within 1°C at equilibrium

The cell will now be pumped out while still hot, then allowed to cool before adding fresh D2 for MR4.2.

MR4.1 update: Heater power was increased to 100 watts at 14:00. An RGA gas sample taken 14:05-14:15 suggests that much of the D2 pressure drop resulted from reduction of surface oxides on the Ni mesh. This is shown by the strong mass=18, the signal for D2O ionized to OD+ in the detector. The smaller amounts at 17 and 19 are possibly from desorbed H involved in the reduction process. There's also a strong signal at mass=44 which is unexpected. That could be from CaCO3 residues known to be present from the soak process, releasing CO2 from reaction with the Hydrogen isotopes, and possibly catalyzed by the Ni+Pd mesh.

The live stream continues at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPzdIjXgB0

Speaking of replications, I've just started a full test, with two freshly prepared meshes installed and full bake-out done. The live stream is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoupGIH-Kgo

It's set to 40 watts for overnight dwell at just over 100°C. I expect this to be a long experiment, but no telling if/when excess heat might occur. There's a grey trace on the moving graph, showing the calibration temperature (T2) for the measured heater power. That's a nice feature added by CAN a few months back.

The RGA display is shown but it won't be left on continuously because it draws down the cell pressure. The cell content will be checked from time to time as needed.

Good work, and although there may be room for further improvement, air flow calorimetry is generally thought to have reduced precision compared to other techniques.

About ±0.5°C is the best stability I've been able to get from type K TC's. It seems to me you may have established a calibration constant and reached the precision limit for the system. That said, in the power domain 12 watts is a pretty big difference. That's about what I established for the Glowstick system, using just differential thermometry in open still air.

If you study the 'Tesla' recycling report you can see that it is written in the future tense.

The video of Redwood Materials' pilot plant (~15:00 at https://tinyurl.com/y4fhhkpm) suggests that the process is working and scaling up is under way. Yes that could be marketing hype but the amount of input material they have on hand is not small. Are they just getting paid to store it? As a co-founder of Tesla, Straubel surely doesn't need the pocket change that might yield.

The process of recycling Lithium based batteries is well understood and scalable to the needed capacity:

https://electrek.co/2019/04/16…battery-recycling-system/

https://insideevs.com/features…raubel-battery-recycling/

"Straubel explains to Vance that the materials in batteries can be recycled indefinitely. “There’s no real limit to it. There’s no degradation that happens to those atoms of lithium or cobalt or nickel. It’s one of the coolest things about this—those metals are basically infinitely recyclable. Except for the small amounts that get lost in the recycling process itself, you can basically keep doing that again and again and again, so you can start to imagine a future where you’re thinking, ‘If we can do this a thousand times, the need for mining new materials starts to dwindle.’

Almost forty years ago I started thinking about how to embed Asimov's Three Laws into an operating system at the CPU level. I was inspired by Warren McCulloch's treatise on neural networks. I conceived a solution I called Integrated Morality Logic ("IML") and got as far as defining a few functional blocks that I thought could be instantiated in TTL chips, which I referred to as "Commandments".

My colleagues thought I was joking and I got zero support, so the project was abandoned. But it stayed in my mind as one of the most challenging and important problems in cybernetics, and remains so as Mats points out.

Paradigmnoia Do you mean that you made up the link text, or did you retype it from an actual page address?

It could be entirely accidental that when pasted into Firefox it brings up a possibly malicious page.

It turns out that wtfmagazine is a real thing, and though it seems to live only on facebook, the domain does exist.

If your post appeared around 1 April I might have suspected it to be a response to QuantumHeat's GlowStick LENR Heater. But it's a bit early for that kind of thing.

CAUTION!!!

The link posted above by Para. seems to bring up a potential browser hijack site safetybrowsing dot com. There's also a typo (misplaced colon) in the URL, and correcting that triggers a security alert in Firefox. So proceed at your own risk.

The "About" page at mizunotech.com shows the following credit for the lab photo used:

"Photo used under Creative Commons from UC Davis College of Engineering"

The lab setup may be LENR-related, and the vessel on the stand could be an electrolytic cell. Other images revealed by following the link above show the attached display and some other details of the setup. The site further identifies:

Coleman Kronawitter Lab in the Department of Chemical Engineering. The lab conducts fundamental research in catalysis science and energy conversion applications. The research staff will be photographed operating catalytic reactors, advanced mass spectroscopy characterization instrumentation, and lab-designed reactors for operando Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. March 1, 2019. (Reeta Asmai/UC Davis).

The individuals shown are definitely staff and students of the lab at UC Davis. Are they part of the Mizuno Tech team, or perhaps they did some research in association or on contract with Mizuno Tech.

Use of the image by Mizuno Tech may not comply with the Copyrights policy of UC Davis:

Photographs are not to be used in the promotion of any commercial product or in other publications without further permission. They are copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California.

Here are the RGA plots for MR4 Cal6, showing the appearance of mass-3 after the calibration heating. Note that residual water is more than an order of magnitude lower than the initial D2 detection, and there is no sign of free Oxygen or Nitrogen at the end of the test.

In the course of my Mizuno replication work, I found that the cell (304 alloy) continued to out-gas after many days of bake-out at 250°C and ~1E-5 Torr vacuum. In the most recent test, after the bake-out, 300 Pa of D2 was added at ambient temp. The cell content was monitored with a mass spec and as the temperature rose above 250°C, a substantial mass=3 signal gradually appeared, at a rate increasing with temperature. No evidence of O or N was seen. This suggests that the out-gassing is mono-atomic H, which then forms HD (mass=3).

The pressure did not stabilize with temperature but rose linearly above the equilibrium predicted by the standard gas law. My conclusion from this is that hydrogen is trapped in the stainless steel grain boundaries during manufacturing and is released when heating and expansion opens the metallic structure.

The chart below from an excellent book on vacuum systems confirms that what I'm seeing is expected behavior. My concern is whether it may have a functional role in the Mizuno R20-type reactors. If the range of isotopic ratio required for activation of the NAE is narrow (high q) , replication becomes more difficult.

This document suggests that substantial reduction in out-gassing can be achieved by extended baking at 400 C, which can be reached with the Mizuno-type external heater, without insulation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5226402/

However, such pretreatment of the cell is not mentioned in the Mizuno R20 recipe as posted by Jed, nor in the various documents published by Mizuno. If those descriptions are accurate, the presence of a substantial H fraction in the Mizuno cells must be assumed. So my question is what role the isotopic ratio plays in the success (COP>1) or failure of such cells. This issue is important enough that I have suspended testing until it can be resolved sufficiently to guide the experimental procedure.

Measuring voltages in a high RF environment is tricky. If the RF signal is enough to affect your DSL modem, it would probably also affect the internal circuitry of a nearby digital voltmeter, which has a very high impedance input circuit. To test this, try the experiment with the voltmeter as far as possible from the arc, and connected to the battery with a shielded cable.