Rob Woudenberg Verified User
  • Male
  • from Portugal
  • Member since Sep 16th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Rob Woudenberg

milton Holmlid has stated that most reported LENR results very likely are all based on the production of UDH/UDD. Depending on the application excess energy might be caused solely by energy that is created by the condensation of Hydrogen or Deuterium Rydberg Matter or by the effects that released muons create (think of energy released cause by transmutation of elements) or a combination of them.

The big question is: is Holmlid right?

Having an accurate and affordable muon detection as part of the measurements on in particular the LENR processes that produce transmutation could give a very significant hint that Holmlid assumption may be correct.

what experiment would you run?

I would love to see muon measurements on the very promising work of Iwamura (Clean Planet). Iwamura did report transmutations, but, as far as I know, never performed a check on the presence of (negative) muons.

Similar, the Aureon project. They also reported significant amount of transmuted elements without performing a check on the presence of (negative) muons.

Last but not least NASA's lattice confinement fusion experiments that also show transmutations.

There are numerous articles on muon detectors at ResearchGate.

This one seems an interesting one (for those who have access to the full article).

Abstract

Almost all experimental apparatuses at existing colliders employ large muon systems located after all other subdetectors. Given the large size of most of the experimental detectors, the existing muon system has to cover areas of a few thousand square meters. It can be anticipated that future detectors at future colliders will be even larger in size. Therefore, for a practical reason of cost, the most suited detectors to realize these large muon systems are gas detectors. In particular, in recent years, Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors (MPGDs) have enjoyed very interesting developments, providing several new types of detectors with very good spacial and time resolution, high-rate capability and high radiation tolerance. MPGDs also have the distinct advantage of being, at least for some detectors and some parts of them, mass produceable by industry, since they employ materials and manufacturing procedures that are extensively used for Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) production. A particularly innovative MPGD, the μRWell, is described as a possible candidate to build large muon systems for future colliders. The results obtained so far with this new technology are reported.

This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No. 654168.

The designer is member of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare (INFN), Italy.

There are 5 references to the article at the same page of the link given above. Two of those have full access articles.

This claims to be a $100 (approx) muon detector designed by an MIT student.

http://cosmicwatch.lns.mit.edu/

We discussed this one earlier Alan.

Good quality detectors that are compact and affordable do not yet exist.

This is a crucial component required for LENR breakthrough.

I had a short conversation with Sindre Z Gundersen on this.

Sindre has some ideas to at least improve the debatable PMT method Holmlid used in the past.

In case the proposed workshop would occur, we could ask him to share his ideas about this topic.

Clear enough. Temperatures at the right place. I also now recall the glowing cathodes in many experiments.

The only disturbing factor I can think of right now would be the electromagnetic field that come with these high discharging currents. They are mostly pulsed, but maybe at a too high frequency? Best situation would be to have sufficient absence of strong EM fields between discharges to have UDH release its suggested energy (at least from condensation of RM Hydrogen).

I wonder whether it would be better to have a kind of control of discharge, e.g. by means of an ignition coil, like used in cars to create controlled sparks. Should not be too expensive to buy some components for this.

An electric field should in principle help exciting hydrogen atoms and form RM, but RM can be destroyed by strong electric fields, once formed. It might have to be intermittently applied in a controlled way.

can : That is when Hydrogen would not travel and the electrostatic field would last too long.
    However this is different for Hydrogen that moves through a very small local area that contains such high electric field.

In the case of multi-layer metals in which hydrogen is moving through a local electric field it could be compared to a condition of intermittently applied electrical field (e.g. a laser pulse).

[EDIT] Illustration of what I meant:

Some other thoughts on formation of Rydberg H/D to share for comments.

We have been looking into Holmlid's suggestion of the formation of UDD/UDH by means of Alkali Rydberg matter. But UDD/UDD formation also seems possible without the presence of Alkali metals.

Currently I wonder whether extreme high values of electrostatic fields would also be an ingredient to form Rydberg H/D matter.

High electrostatic fields have been applied in numerous LENR experiments by means of hydrogen plasma created by high voltages supplies in close proximity of metals.

On a nanometer scale however very high electromagnetic fields also do occur in known LENR environments.

These fields are formed by so called 'double layers'.

Double layers occur in various situations. Most known are the layers formed at electrodes of electrochemical situations with (liquid) electrolytes. Another situation where double layers occur is at the boundaries of contacting different metals caused by galvani potentials (think of the multi-layer multi metal stacks used by e.g. Iwamura).

The voltage differences caused in these situations is in the order of sub Volts while the thickness of the double layers is in the order of several Ångstrom. Example: 0.2 V and 10 Å leads to an electric field density of 2*108 V/m. This is a huge value!

Question is what will happen when atomic Hydrogen is fed through such high electrostatic field, in particular when temperatures are raised to several hundreds of ºC. Would this allow formation of H or D Rydberg matter?

[EDIT] A related question: how much would the work function value of a metal be influenced when high number of Hydrogen atoms are absorbed in its lattice? I would guess this value would decrease....

There is a much simpler way of doing the same thing. Even the Japanese don't understand Leif Holmlid's or @Wyttenbach's physics for producing Rydberg matter in a simple six inch cube. :) :) :)

I am not sure it requires different ways. Maybe the involved Japanese researchers are not aware UDD/UDD may be formed in these multi-layer metal layers (optionally catalyzed by CaO). Francesco Celani is aware but not convinced from my observations.

Maybe the Japanese CF researchers should have a look at this publication. Transmutation of Cs137 has been on their agenda as well in the past.
    I wouldn't be surprised if negative muons play a big role in LENR (not only related to muon catalyzed D-D fusion).

I was basically inspired by the fact that Shinya Narita will participate at the ARPA LENR workshop. Up till now I wasn't aware of his work, so I started reading the JCP papers from 2008 onwards. From these papers it becomes clear that the research on sputtered multi-layer metal stacks walked a long path. This work was (and still is) performed at several universities simultaneously in Japan. Francesco Celani has excellent contacts with them (including his Japanese wife).

As I expressed in post #93 of this thread this 2020 Iwamura paper seems like an important motivation why industrialization of this principle has now begun. This is remarkable, since no theory has been presented in parallel up till now. Also, that particular process is vulnerable and fragile because of the burst-like excess heat production. It may be possible that behind the scenes Iwamura and the other Japanese researchers are a bit further in understanding the process meanwhile. Worth monitoring closely.

In my view also important to mention is that Mizuno contributed to the knowledge that Iwamura used to come to this simplified method. Iwamuro included references to Mizuno's publications in this latest JCF publication. Mizuno in particular did much research of Pd/Ni layers combined with Deuterium. Later this lead to the solo development of Mizuno's Rxx type reactors.

Any more concrete info about the nano structure used available?

Gerold, I suspect Iwamura means in general the average thickness of the layers. These are all in the range of 2 - 20 nm.

There has been done some more research on the effect of the surface structures of such thin layers by Narita, presented at JCF15, but restricted to Pd/Ni layer combined with Deuterium. The papers of JCF can be found here.

I am sure there are some important details regarding the production of these nanometers thick layers, nowhere published, nor included in patent applications. E.g. details on surface roughness. Sputtering with a magnetron or HV Ar+ can be done by tweaking the relevant parameters. These details are probably kept secret to assure Clean Planet has some competition advantages. When CaO layers are applied as well, some patent applications by Iwamura reveal that these layers are not solid thin layers but 'island' structured layers. Solid CaO layers seem to block the flow of atomic hydrogen.

To understand the recent announcement of Miura and Clean Planet for a joint development of industrial boilers based on LENR better it may be useful to read Iwamura's publication and presentation as part of the ICF 21 meetings.

In this paper Iwamura shows that he basically simplified the multi-layer metal layer techniques to a very basic concept from the many years of research on various multilayer metal stacks brought into contact with Deuterium or Hydrogen.

Both combinations of Pd/Ni with Deuterium as well as Ni/Cu with Hydrogen give reproducible excess heat.

For industrialization the combination of Ni/Cu multilayers combined with Hydrogen is obviously the cheapest choice.

The basic concept consists of muli-layer surface that can be manufactured using magnetron sputtering to compose Ni and Cu layers on top of a Ni carrier.

Those layers are mounted on thin SiO2 plates that are in turn mounted on ceramic heater plates:

Such construction is then positioned in a sealed vessel with the necessary interfaces.

The procedure to produce the excess heat is rather simple as well:

- baking out H2O at > 200 ºC under vacuum condition

- introduce H2 at 200 Pa at 250 °C

- pump out the H2 while heating the stack to 600-950 °C -> excess heat is produced

- Eventually repeat previous 2 steps to re-produce excess heat.

Observations:

- producing multilayer stacks can be done with affordable existing commercial equipment in a very cheap manner

- excess heat producing vessels are relative simple cheap mechanical constructions

- procedure to produce excess heat is simple.

"Summary of LENR research in Japan Dr. Shinya Narita, Professor, Iwate University (25+5)".

More on Prof. Narita

http://univdb.iwate-u.ac.jp/html/304_en.html and

成田 晋也 (Shinya Narita) - マイポータル - researchmap

One of his papers:

First Study of Rapidity Gaps in e+e- Annihilation

K.Abe, S.Narita et al.

Physical Review Letters 76 4886 - 4890 1996.06 [Refereed]

Academic Journal Multiple authorship

This was in 1996.

e+e- Annihilation is one of the possible processes that Holmlid suggests when UDH/UDD is involved.

Most relevant are his papers on deuterium loading effects of multi-layer metals however, which seems independent from Iwamura's research.