Posts by H-G Branzell

Consider a hypothetical process that speeds up radioactive decay a little, e.g., alpha decay. For the sake of argument, suppose a strong magnetic field, not hooked up to a control system, could do this. Radioactive decay is a statistical phenomenon, and (in our hypothetical scenario) you've just turned the dial a little. I don't think this would result in the instabilities. That suggests to me that if the feedback loop is slow enough to respond (e.g., due to thermal inertia), there wouldn't necessarily be instability when the inducing process (a magnetic field in our case) is hooked up to a control system. In a short period of time after the field strength has been increased, the decay rate would go up a little, resulting in more decays per second, and more thermalized heat, and then the ensemble of atoms would re-establish equilibrium. The control system would see the new state of the world in the form of an increase in temperature within a period of time that is a function of the thermal inertia of the system, resulting in a dampened response.

You are hypothetically controlling an alpha decay with a magnetic field. There will be no positive feedback unless the decay generates more magnetic field, and it will not do so without human help. It takes stellar heat to do nuclear reactions so nor will the increase in temperature cause positive feedback. In other words: no problem.

Looked at the last document:…3668&file_id=18&file_no=1

It is not cold fusion, but still an Interesting mechanism:

"One deuteron in a molecular beam change a direction due to an elastic scattering with a metal atom, and the scattered deuteron collides with the other deuteron in the same molecule."

For the recoiling hydrogen nucleus to hit its twin one may suspect that a lot of luck is needed.

Scrolling down and looking at Figure 6.14 we see that at an acceleration voltage of 10 kV we get around 10 counts/mC/Sr.

1 mC corresponds to 6.242×1015 singly ionized hydrogen molecules.

This means than there will be less than 4 x Pi x 10 reactions per mC.

The yield, the number of fusions per projectile will be less than 2E-14.

Lots of pain, little gain.

There is no doubt that discovery of a new mechanism which can generate nuclear reactions at temperatures that so far only could produce chemical reactions would be of great scientific interest. But the main driving force for the present research in this direction is a desperate need for a new power source that safely will carry us on our journey into the future.

In order to achieve this a small but brave group of researchers is striving to discover a new mechanism that per reaction unit produces many orders of magnitude more energy than a chemical reaction. This reaction should also be scalable to yield an average power of several kilowatts per human on earth. When I look at the mainstream test systems that are constructed by LENR researchers I see little hope for this even if an experiment per se turns out to be successful with respect to a new reaction.

Let us assume that the laboriously prepared fuel starts to produce energy at levels of commercial interest. Before warming the famous first cup of tea the fuel will have self destructed, the NAE is dead and your LENR generator was nothing but a self destructing short-lived art piece.

Caveat: Of course, the above argument does not apply to E-Cats!

Yes, it was in the tread about the imaginary Genie reactor:

"Given your confidence, H-G, presumably you have read a pile of empirical studies that show that impregnating spent nuclear fuel with deuterium does not appear to induce fission, which would be suitable to dispel any false hopes raised by any internal research this group may have done to conclude that it does induce fission?"

I thought that the counter arguments to my proposition that the Genie concept was as crappy as crap can be were too lame to respond to so I let you and Mr. Goble have the last words.

We do not have to discuss this subject further, it is just a waste of time and key strokes.

Bruce, thanks for elaborating on the problems of measuring the power transferred by pulsed electric current.

Yes, Godes is an electrical engineer. He started Brillouin Energy in 2005

From LinkedIn:

"In 1992 I constructed a self-consistent theory of the physics behind the phenomenon “Cold Fusion”. This theory has had a successful first principal test performed by Tom Claytor, before he retired from LLNL. A key aspect was successfully simulated in a TAP at PNNL. I personally have constructed multiple control systems that allow the reaction to run in a controlled fashion. With my team at Brillouin Energy we have designed and built progressively more advanced systems to do same and run several successful tests demonstrating more than 4X more energy out than in. The theory explains the results of the “Lugano test”. It also explains the results of John Bockris at Texas A&M and why he was exonerated multiple times of fraud or scientific misconduct. Brillouin Energy is a multidiscipline group of engineers now solving the materials manufacturing and system design issue need to turn this phenomenon into a real technology. We have two design pathways with enough synergy that we are pushing forward on both systems. The HHT™ system is targeting high quality industrial heat up to 700Cᵒ. The WET™ system will provide lower quality heat possibly up to 200Cᵒ but will likely be lower maintenance. For more information and to contact us visit the Brillouin Energy website."

The preceding 9 years he did this:

"Designed distributed control hardware for sub-transmission/distribution level power grids. By putting intelligence and sensors at each switch it is possible to automatically isolate faults and reconfigure the grid to restore power to as many customers as possible in as short a time as possible."

He should know a thing or two about measuring true rms power.

What does Q in Q-Pulse stand for? Perhaps Godes borrowed the idea and the name of it from this famous inventor:

Where have you been H-G? They have been asking "where are the dead lab assistants" since 1989. If you ever find out why, tell the LENR researchers, as they would like to know also.

Not entirely obvious, but I was referring to my previous post about the Q pulses producing copious amounts of free neutrons. Those neutrons are supposed to be 100% and immediately absorbed by hydrogen atom nucleuses aka protons. This absorption is possible, but I don't know the cross section for it. But I can give you a real life example to show that it is very small.

In a fission reactor each fission produces on average around three high speed neutrons. In order to create new fissions the speed of the neutrons has do be decreased, they must be thermalized. This is achieved by letting the neutrons collide with light nucleuses. This process is called moderation. somewhat akin to the moderation here, it cools things down. When doing so it is essential that the cross section for transmutation of the target nucleus is small, because that means loss of the neutron. In the first fission reactor carbon was used as a moderator. In most of our power reactors we use light water for moderation which also doubles as heat transport medium. And the absolute majority of the neutrons survive collisions with protons! But not all do, if you want to build a reactor running on natural uranium which has only 0.71% U235 you cannot use protium water but it works with deuterium water, The Canadian Candu pressurized water reactors are using this system.

Eric: In spite of all the deuterium surrounding the more or less spent fuel in the Candu reactors I am pretty sure that there is very little fusion going on in them! :)

So called Q-Pulses are supposed to marry an electron to a proton thereby creating a neutron:…20Energy%20Hypothesis.pdf

As the lattice breaths the compression cycle is where the electron capture events occurs but after the capture event the relaxation cycle leaves the newly formed neutron in a vacuum resulting in a low energy neutron(s) - low enough that the cross section allows it to combine with nearby or migrating hydrogen nuclei. The distance between the lattice nuclei and the migrating hydrogen atoms make the probability of combining with another hydrogen much higher than combining with Pd.

This is an incredibly nutty idea. But, since experiment rules, I suggest that Brillouin or SRI demonstrate a lot of neutrons. Just saying that they immediately are absorbed is no excuse.

Well, suppose we have free neutrons. Can they react with protons? Somebody on the web says:

Yes, hydrogen can absorb neutrons and emit the released energy as a gamma-ray photon. Your value is a bit too large, however. The Table of Isotopes (Firestone 1996) lists the neutron separation energy of deuterium (which is the same process in the other direction) as 2224.57 keV.

These over 2 MeV gamma photons would be easy to detect. Where are they?

Note that the Q-Pulses contain a very wide band of frequencies. This makes it difficult to measure the power accurately. You will miss the part of the spectrum that falls outside the sensitivity band of your instrument. The "good" thing with this is that you underestimate the input power thus getting a better COP.

Nice furniture and a nice garden too!

Actually, a friend of mine has a similar Myford lathe. He used to have my Blomqvist, but it was dropped during transport. A sharp edge on the table cut the lifting strap. Various parts of the lathe were cracked here and bent there.

Instead of reparing the Blomqvist he bought a Myford Super 7. It worked fine, but he could not get used to the imperial graduations so he bought a DRO kit and asked me to help him install it. The operation was successful and as a reward I suddenly found myself to be owner of a pallet filled with various cast iron parts with green flaking paint, some of them broken. But in the end, it was fixable and the lathe came with a full set of feed rate cog wheels, a sturdy four jaw chuck, some collets and chuck for them.

My colleague Martin and I learnt to do precision machining before DRO's were invented. Micrometer, dial gauge and calipers are our weapons of choice. Actually Martin considers DRO's to be rather effete.

And you probably learnt writing nice documents using a Remington typewriter. It could still be done this way, but nobody does because there are many advantages with modern writing equipment.

When it comes to milling machines and lathes some obvious advantages of digital position indicators are:

- High accuracy

- Easy to read position

- Easy to set zero point

- Backlash independent

- No need to keep track of (Number of turns of handwheel) x (Full scale of handwheel) + (Reading on handwheel)

At least your new milling machine has a depth DRO, maybe this will wet you appetite!

Here is a picture of my old but still going strong Blomqvist lathe, made in Sweden but modelled after a South Bend design:

The lathe had no left-right coordinate (no scale on the handwheel) so I modified a digital caliper for this purpose, works very well.

It is easily detachable and as it turned out, it can also be used as a depth indicator on my small drill press stand.

See Manufacturing, last picture!

Here is a wiring diagram from :

As I understand it the left heater is the reference position.

The temperature of this is measured by the TC and kept constant by the PID regulator.

The same current that heats the reference also heats the position with the core to be tested.

Since the heating elements have the same resistance they will produce the same heating power.

The right heater is a mirror image of the left and therefore it should, with no power from the core, have the same temperature as the left, the reference.

When heat is produced in the core the temperature here should increase. This would be detected by another TC, not shown in the diagram above.

Of course this scheme will not stop a runaway reaction in the core, but that is an entirely later problem.

Can, you don't have a gamma counter? Turn your phone into one:…b1672f7&priceBeautifyAB=0

A radio is mostly sensitive to electromagnetic radiation within limited wave length ranges.

But in principle it is also sensitive to other influences that interferes with the operation of the solid state components that are part of the receiver chain, especially where the low level signals are handled. E.g. temperature increase will cause white noise. Penetrating radiation can also cause noise but it would probably be impossible to detect it with the normal background that is always present in an amplifier / radio. Some of the white noise that you can see on an analogue TV with antenna when there is no transmission is due to cosmic radiation, much of it from the sun. And maybe you can even hear the sun hissing at you.

Chasing meshuganons, a bold undertaking

No, I do not think that using a radio is a good idea.

A better idea would be to reserve a few square meters in Alan's new headquarters and set up an experiment according to the outlines that Alan sketched in the interview.

When we add the last layer of shielding and the Geiger counter runs havoc we kan start looking for the meshuganons. (But at first we remove some of the shielding! :))

Alan, I think that the experiment that you described in Ruby's interview with you is an experiment begging for replication! And it is a good opportunity for you to set a good example for the LENR world how not to be obsessively secretive.

So I suggest that you prepare a detailed recipe for your experiment and publish it for everyone that has the will and resources to have a go at it.

If the result of your experiment can be reproduced the next thing to do is to figure out what makes the Gieger counter tick! Could it be Director's beloved EVO:s?

Alain, this is not too complex (except mechanically):

Reverse Engineering the Antikythera Mechanism…he-antikythera-mechanism/

Beautiful craftsmanship is presented with excellent video.

These videos are edited so in spite of Chris drilling lots of holes it never gets boring.

The origin of the Antikythera mechanism has been traced back to the place and time of Archimedes:

"A preferred embodiment includes surrounding spent nuclear fuel elements with deuteride nuclear fuel elements that will fast fission the spent fuel elements. Another preferred embodiment includes surrounding the deuteride nuclear fuel elements with spent fuel elements as fast neutron reflectors that will also fission."

Okay, there is a lot of junk in this document, this is another variant. Why the <hot place> would impregnating a spent nuclear fuel element with deuterium induce fission in it? If there were a measuring unit for stupidity (1 Dumb) it would take thousands of them to quantify the stupidity of this proposition.…faces-impeachment/4226146

Fitial seems to secretly have bought a diesel powered power plant.…6914-dear-governor-fitial

Dear Governor Fitial

31 May 2012

• We were unable to visit the prototype installation in Austin. Texas, as the permitting requirement for visitors would take a long time. As a result, we did not get to ask many more engineering type questions concerning the scale up process.

• A working up-to-scale reactor producing electricity has not been built yet.

• maryyugo Aug 10th 2013 edited

I think that you need to read the patent again:

2. A hybrid nuclear fusion fast fission reactor as claimed in claim 1 wherein said cathode wound around said fuel element acts as a neutron generator and said cathode is comprised of a composition of the non-deuteriding series selected from the group consisting of platinum, gold, mercury, lead and bismuth.

You ask: And how could it be "not even crap", if it was in the newspaper?

Ever heard about "fake news"? I can think of a second use for the newspaper itself, but it will not be comfortable. :)