dartin Member
  • Member since Oct 11th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by dartin

The basic Reactor Vessel is constructed as follows:

Take a piece of 24” Stainless Steel tubing with a 4” diameter and place two Bored Conflat Flanges, CF 6”, Bored 4”, tapped holes. Weld them in place.

Standard practice is to polish all the welds and then pickle such fabrications in (most recently) strong and hot citric acid, rinse them off with deionized water and check for leaks at the designed operating temperature.

Source of 24" x 4" stainless steel pipe:

pipingnow.com/4-Seamless-pipe-schedule-10s-stainless-steel-304-304l-astm-a312-asme-sa312/

Source of Conflat Flanges:

1. This is a Conflat flange bored for a 4" pipe. It is tapped so that the untapped flange can screw on easily without the need for nuts.

mackvacuum.com/index.php/cf-flanges-and-fittings/bored-flange-non-rotatable-tapped/product/695-flange-bored-cf-6-00-4-00-dia-tap

2. Its mate would be untapped flange that is not bored:

mackvacuum.com/index.php/cf-flanges-and-fittings/blank-flange-non-rotatable/product/643-flange-blank-cf-6-00-304-ss

The unbored flanges need to be bored to fit the vacuum access and heater unit.

The bolts needed are Fine Threaded Hex Cap Screws, 5/16-24 x 1-½.

Versions of these items are also available with Metric screws. https://www.lesker.com/

F0600X412NM FLANGE,UHV,SS,BORED,FXD,6"OD, 4.114"C-BORE,M8 X 1.25 TPD HLS $176.90

There are 16 bolt holes.

The blank flanges are $77.14 each

The bored flanges are $82.65 each.

The 4" Seamless Pipe Schedule 10s, Stainless Steel 304/304L ASTM A312 ASME SA312 is $99.25

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/rs-pro/8606883/70658451/ are the heaters and they are $13.14 each

For a total of $445.11 each unit. Add in the cost of the nickel mesh and the Palladium and you have the cost of one unit in production.

Obviously production designs will be less expensive, but if this unit works, it will be like the first airplane...

My latest thoughts are to make two units that would look identical to Mizuno's except that the right end would also have a heater element.

The elements that I am looking at are 100 mm long and two of them would be opposite the 200 mm of mesh.

My heaters would be capable of 500 Watts each for a total of 1000 Watts.

Each unit would be prepared identically including the Pd on the Ni screen.

The Reactor Unit unit would be prepped as specified by Mizuno but the Control Unit would not receive the extreme evacuation process.

All steps would be automated and data would be recorded as the procedure progresses.

Set X = 100 deg C

Both units would receive what Mizuno calls “Heat Treatment” in which pretreatment of the reactant metal surface is carried out. The temperature is 120 degrees C for a duration of 20 hours.

Step 2: Only the Reactor Unit would receive processing as follows:

Evacuate. Evacuation will be down to 10^-2 Pa.

Heat for 2 hours at 200 deg C with sheath heaters.

Now both the Reactor and the Control Units would receive identical treatment:

Attempt to produce excess heat in both units:

Set the Deuterium gas pressure 200 Pa. in both units.

Raise the temperature to X deg C in the Control Unit.

This will be a form of Differential Calorimetry because we will provide electrical power to the Reactor Unit until it is at the same temperature as the Control Unit.

Any significant difference in power needed should be due to excess heat.

Record all data and publish to LENR forum.

Set X as the current temperature plus 10 C.

Repeat Back to Step 2 until the Control Unit is consuming 1000 Watts, or the temperature exceeds 400 deg C.

Whatever the Reactor unit is consuming in power to match the Control Unit’s temperature will allow you to calculate the COP of the Reactor Unit.

Pictures will be submitted showing the symmetrical positioning of the units so that they experience the same ability to dissipate heat.

This is only a proposal and I would like the input of the forum.

Mizuno specifies that the evacuation must be down to 1X10-2 Pa which is about 1X10-4 Torr. This two stage pump can do that:

The Alcatel 2012A vacuum pump has a pumping speed of 11 CFM and an ultimate pressure of 1X10-4 Torr. Alcatel 2012A , Vacuum Pump Dual Stage.

Would that be adequate for this replication?

If not, why not...

The Cartridge heater I am looking at says:

Cartridge heaters have low/moderate watt density elements consisting of helical wire coils on ceramic former or high watt density elements with the heating element located close to the sheath, which is swaged to improve heat conduction.

Is it okay to have a helical wire coil or does that confuse things?

On page 11: "The amount of gas absorbed by the nickel must be monitored to measure loading, to confirm the material is more permeable than ordinary nickel. It will not produce excess heat otherwise."

This seems to imply that Mizuno has tried other nickels and had them turn out to be "ordinary nickel" and therefore "not produce excess heat."

Is the difference in the nickel how he scores it with sandpaper and burnished with a palladium rod or are we to believe that his source of nickel is superior?

That's one question that has crossed my mind many times but was afraid to ask. :S For Dr. Mizuno it must be obvious because he did it, but if he could tell us how he proceeded, and if it started easily after the change, it would be very illustrative.

Maybe next winter when it is heating his home, he can take a picture of the thermostat showing that it is off and a picture out the window showing the snow on the ground and the thermometer showing freezing weather outside.

If I get a replicate going, I will be posting pictures showing its practical value.

dartin

Earlier I suggested that my control unit use H2 but someone objected because its thermal conductivity is different.

How about my control unit simply be identical to the main unit but that I only use a vacuum pump good for Torr = 0.01 ? (I am trying to avoid a discussion of exponential notation).

The main unit would go through the Turbo Molecular pump conditioning but the control unit would not.

In both cases the nickel mesh used would be supplied by Mizuno himself via MFMP.

Any objections?

I strongly recommend you leave it in one place. Experiments attached to pressure gauges and pumps with Swagelok valves do not like to be moved or monkeyed with.

If you must move it, I urge you not to mail it. Put it in a car, and keep an eye on it. I think it may be possible for the thing to self-heat spontaneously.

But Mizano moved it to his home for the Winter. Is he willing to describe that experience? Did it start itself easily?

If the unit is heating a room as was demonstrated in figure 1 and the COP is 10, what would happen if one built a brick oven structure around the unit making it more difficult for the heat to escape?

Would it reach a higher temperature and a higher COP?

Will it stop working at some higher temperature caused by this procedure?

What would be the highest COP reached before it ceased operation?

Would it reach thermal runaway?

What would happen if the brick structure were removed and the windows were opened in the Winter and the room temperature went down?

Would the COP become less than 10?

dartin

I have unanswered questions. Will I have to provide D2 at above 1 atmosphere pressure?

In the latest paper on R20, showing: "figure 1. An R20 reactor used as a room heater in Sapporo, winter 2018..."

I don't see any connection to a pressure meter, source of gas or electricity for the heater.

The D2 will get through the Palladium filter at about 4.5 times the rate of H2. If the D2O is pure, that shouldn't matter. We don't need much D2 to operate so things should work. I put in a couple of valves to measure the amount of D2 provided. I may need a pressure gauge in the bulb to more accurately represent how much D2 was used.

Oops. I meant 1/4.5 times the rate. Obviously the D2 penetrates slower, not faster.

dartin

The D2 will get through the Palladium filter at about 4.5 times the rate of H2. If the D2O is pure, that shouldn't matter. We don't need much D2 to operate so things should work. I put in a couple of valves to measure the amount of D2 provided. I may need a pressure gauge in the bulb to more accurately represent how much D2 was used.

I was thinking of supplying D2 via electrolysis of D2O and filter the D2 out with a Palladium disc which I own from a previous project. The R20 seems attractive because it is simple. My diagram attached does not show the RGA or the Vacuum Gauge.

Use a dry scroll Vacuum Pump:

by Agilent Technologies

IDP3B01 Agilent IDP 3 Dry Scroll Vacuum Pump

www.amazon.com/IDP3B01-Agilent-Scroll-Vacuum-Pump/dp/B01F73OO88/ref=sr_1_2

Price: $2,778.58

Full Range Appion Vacuum gauge:

www.amazon.com/Appion-AV760-Range-Digital-Vacuum/dp/B00VKGQ6OW/ref=asc_df_B00VKGQ6OW/

Hydrogen generator: www.fuelcellstore.com/horizon-hydrofill-pro-fch-020

PFEIFFER TMU 261 P TURBO PUMP WITH TC 600 CONTROLLER, DN 100 CF, PMP02826 / PMC01720

http://www.ajvs.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=7871

Risudual Gas Analyzers:

www.extorr.com/

Let me know what items are bad choices.

dartin