Paradigmnoia Member
  • Member since Oct 23rd 2015

Posts by Paradigmnoia

LDM,

Excuse my being brief with some comments.

The stretching of the wires is potentially a problem, but it seems OK in practice, for the most part.

I had 3 coils, each with 10 wraps, with something like 7 mm between each successive wrap (or 21 mm between each wrap on the same coil winding). That gives a 200 mm long coil section, plus leads. The twisted wire seems to "absorb" some stretch, and is flexible. It winds into a 10 mm inside diameter coil surprisingly cooperatively for its combined wire diameter.

Your stretch factor I think, in general, is more important to very long coils (especially of small diameter), like used in a kiln. Those windings can expand and sag, especially with age, although shorting out would be unusual due to the protective oxide coating on the wire. The expansion of Kanthal due to heat itself is (engineerered) low, in general, but it can stretch considerably in open air coils due to gravity when the wire is orange hot and fairly soft. Large numbers of wraps per coil length does add up the in the overall expansion length, so that bunching is more likely when the wire expands. The heater wire expansion is noted both in the coil diameter increase and the coil length increase.

The Durapot cement seems strong enough to keep coil expansion in check, although the coil is likely under some tension at high temperatures. It likely would be a problem to double the length of the coil section of a Lugano type device, as coil expansion might then be too much for the cement.

I understand now why the manufacturer of the IR cam advise to calibrate, and not to trust any emissivity number...

We cannot replicate the active rod, but maybe can Dewey Weaver obtain a dummy from the stock? or Maybe is the dogbone of MFMP not far enough from the shape (maybe it can be painted with the ZrO2 paint cited by Dewey Weaver ) to give interesting approximation of emmissivity over temperature?

I did IR camera emissivity vs temperature tests for Durapot 810. I don't have the notes handy, but about 0.8 was typical, with a very small drop (0.02) at the lower end of temperatures.

The Zr paint is a bit of a surprise, and I haven't tried it yet. Presumably the Al version should be tried also.

But does not help the total emissivity used for the calculation of the output power. There are companies that can test materials and characterize their complete IR spectral response at various temperatures. Not to cheaply, but not terribly expensively either. But what to send them?

What is the background?

Does using another detector type with a different (preferably numerically higher [more sensitive]) background still show the same proportional increase?

Shane D. ,

The dummy is messed up in Lugano too. Once that gets squared away, there is no basis, within uncertainties and real errors, to claim any COP other than what Nature normally provides.

Consider this little crumb: the camera (spectral in band) emissivity is being argued about endlessly, and yet who has tackled the question of the real Total emissivity from which the output power is finally calculated? No one. Why? Because even if we had perfect thermocouple corroborated IR camera temperatures, no one has any real basis to say what the Total emissivity of the device with ribs, uncertain coatings, uncertain roughness, etc., really is. Oh, sure we can grab a textbook value for that. That should be real close to an object we have ourselves only seen in a few photos (one of which could be the one that broke, not the actual working one.)

How much off does the Total emissivity have to be to eat up the 'excess' 7 to 20% ? Not much.

Higgins' report, as good as it is, has an error which moves his estimate closer to TC's when corrected.

The MFMP version does not deal with the thermal distribution very well, and crashes like a Jato-powered sedan into a cliff wall when dealing with the Dummy.

And TC's version can have that 0.07 (?) excess wiped out with the most minor adjustment to the total emissivity.

LDM's version is more complex, but still has ad-hoc parts put in, like total emissiviy, as is necessary, because acurate information simply does not exist.

All of these agree that COP 2+ did not likely happen. (Let alone COP > 1.3 even). The little bit that that might look like excess can be wiped away in a moment in the noise of the uncertainties. More certainty is not going to be forthcoming. Unless maybe IH leaks out their report on tests with the last Reactor.

LDM,

Although the error % seems large for the coolest end of the rods, the final W difference, in terms of the total power budget, should still be rather minor. I believe that I had a similar result when I did it, and it did seem to be rounding that made the difference.

The calculations for working out the Rod segment temperatures and Rod temperature gradient, and therefore power, during the active period is much more complex. There're is very little in the report to go on, since just the final total power is reported for each run.

You should be close enough, however, with your model that it should be possible to test if the 2/3 factor was in fact applied, or not, to the active period Rod power in the report, since a total 33% overestimate error should be obvious. (It is my opinion that the 2/3 adjustment was not made to the active period Rod power in the report, and therefore the Rod power reported is too high for all active runs. (Easily fixed, since they lump those results into two periods anyways, an indication of how concerned the Professors were about the Rods contribution)).

Don't forget the minor Joule heating in the rods added in the report from the cables, and consider carefully the contribution of the heater coil extensions entering the Rods for 4 to 5 cm, which affect calculations for both the temperature of the initial Rod segments (Cap end) and the power budget of the Main Tube since these wire extensions, six in all, reduce the amount of input Joule heat available to the Main Tube and Caps, possibly explaining a portion of the previously calculated excess (COP 1.2 or similar).

Once, here in the Forum, I calculated exactly the parameters of the twisted 15 ga Kanthal resistance wire for the three parallel coils, from which the 6 X 4 cm (estimated) could be subtracted so that the end lead power % of the entire heater windings could be correctly attributed. Off the top of my head, each of the 3 coils have about 1.5 m of wire, which is twisted to make a pre-coiled length of slightly less than half of that. Probably better for me to look it up again. I believe that the Caps and wire extensions combined contain about 30% of the total calibrated resistance heater wire, and therefore the wire extensions could net about 15% of the Total input power.

Perhaps this is a naive question, but could the slow electron size be estimated/extrapolated by double-slit experiments, changing the slit size, slit displacement, and electron speeds, and comparing the interference patterns? Probably this has been done?

Brian Ahern has always been one of the most vocal critics of Rossi since the Bologna demo. I think it's more likely that Celani's hearsay was inaccurate.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/s…10115NET-Rossi-Story1.pdf

Agreed. I can hardly imagine Ahern and Rossi in the same room together. Ahern would likely saved the peanut gallery a lot of time if he had ever to been able to examine a Rossi demo and look over the apparatus. I always thought that Rossi mentioning that Ahern's work had merit on JoNP (closet competitor, IIRC?) was intended to deflect or temper Aherns negative comments about Rossi (as well as endear Rossi a little bit to the old school CF crowd, while making Rossi look even more knowledgable) [slick move, but a little too slick. Self-aggrandizing flattery of others is a Rossi specialty]. Of course, Mr. Ahern does not seem to be the sort of person who would be cowed by flattery (or anything else) if he felt he had something to say.

Rossi, on the other hand, fastidiously avoids people who critically examine and question every aspect of his devices and protocols, and keeps that sort away from his demos and equipment, meaning that Ahern would almost certainly never be invited to look at anything of Rossi's. As a competitor, Ahern would be smart and experienced enough to recognize errors and knowledgeable enough to learn trade secrets [I am being generous here] if he had access to Rossi devices. Neither outcome would be acceptable to Rossi.

Except virtual particles are not actually particles, and they are virtual.

The virtual photon and "antiphoton" are created by math. They do represent disturbances in the photon field, and might be directly linked to disturbances in other fields, caused by real particles, like for example real electrons described by the electron field. However a virtual photon is an abstraction, not an actual photon. The reason that the exact opposite virtual particle is "created" in a pair, is that describing the disturbance requires adding a term to an equation, and this cannot be done unilaterally, and the added term settles down to the normal background (typically zero) after the physical cause has moved along.

(Like a fish creating a tiny bulge in the water above it as it glides smoothly just below the surface, raising the bulge means lowering the normal water level by an equal amount in some fashion.)

The virtual particles belonging to a virtual particle-antiparticle pair do not annihilate each other when they come together. This is because they are made of math describing a distortion in a field, not coherent particles. (The field distortion itself is real). If they were real particle -antiparticle pairs, they probably would annihilate each other, releasing (potentially) useable energy.

So, Bruce__H ,

What do you think? The condensers were likely 3/4 full of water?

Perhaps some other ideas would be interesting to pursue...

Was the condenser water even circulating? Are there enough images from the demo to show the reservoir either depleting or maintaining a level?

Perhaps the 1 mW Plant simply ran long enough to fill the condensers and outlet hoses before being shut down. Can 750 L of water be held in the condensers and hoses?

Since there were two pipes from the Plant, two condensers, and two sets of hoses to two reservoirs, perhaps it is even possible water went IN one hose connected to a reservoir, and out the other. I believe that the two reservoirs were joined so that water could transfer between them.

@ Paradigmnoia,

Any relation with what I wrote above? If so, could you please be more specific?

My comment is obliquely related to yours, but in general I was lamely attempting to explain why Rossi may be more convincing than many other people with amazing claims of new energy. (Excluded are scientists reporting on results obtained in some systematic and/or well-characterized way)

Well, I will say that when reading the JoNP in chronological order, and classifying the details of the reactor, construction materials, the radiation notes, etc., Rossi's narrative has a fairly strong appearance of a sensible progression, moving from one prototype to the next. There are some backtracking parts, which could be explained by an incomplete and evolving understanding of the process that the devices use to make heat. The overarching story he told seemed to be realistic. Mistakes in the main narrative were (originally) few, and could be accepted and equivocated away.

It is only when specific details than can be compared to more concrete evidence, like photo evidence or specific measurement equipment or techniques, that the cracks in the story begin to widen and the suspension of disbelief is dissolved. Some people prefer not to examine the many specific details, and for many of these people the story then appears intact. Real, true stories are a little bit messy and inexact in some details. In this way Rossi's stories, warts and all, resemble true stories more than that of a simple conman, who prefers to leave no loose ends from which a common con might become unravelled.

The Forum button in the drop down menu lists about five recent subjects.

The Portal button lists about 10 recent subjects.

After that the search function needs to be used, which can be tricky since often the content wanders from the subject title.

Sterling's video:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.