Paradigmnoia Member
  • Member since Oct 23rd 2015

Posts by Paradigmnoia

From the article:

"The rubber also literally meets the road faster on an electric vehicle. Electrical motors can produce peak power, or torque, almost instantly, unlike mashing the gas pedal of a regular car, which requires gas to flow and burn in cylinders and a bunch of mechanical parts to start moving."

But it is 100% drive by wire. Soft start (torque dampened) electrical motors have been a thing for over 100 years. The kids toys spin the wheels because power is either on or off, 100% or nothing.

Traction control has been a major problem with locomotives since Trevithick invented them. It was done by human skill. Starting a heavy train on an uphill grade was very difficult. Water or ice on the rails, or a swarm of locusts, made it even more difficult. The engineers had one tool to make it easier. Locomotives early on had sand domes. The engineer would pull a rope to drop sand in front of the driving wheels. Locomotives still have sand boxes.

Thinking about this some more, unless all the extra wear is somehow caused by regenerative breaking (possible but unlikely) then the advanced tire wear is affecting the vehicle mileage. Literally dragging the tires at times, by either under or over powering the relevant wheel(s).

Another possibility is that the types of persons that are early adopters of electrical cars have a much higher level of aggressive drivers than the typical ICE car owner group. I have had cars that the rear tires lasted as little as 20 minutes on the road… from 85% tread. Good thing I was friends with a tire recycler.

Where did you get 5 X the rubber? I don't see that anywhere. It uses more rubber, but not 5 times more.

That was my bad. Up to twice as much rubber.

Among my many weird adventures, I came into a considerable number of heavily used, kids-type, electric “ATVs”. Working in an electrical shop of sorts these were always coming to get repaired, but only a few were worth sinking any money into. Sometimes the customers never came back after calling to see what it might cost. The rest we recycled what we could, scavenged the parts that could be used and eventually there was a decent inventory on tiny electric kids ATVs.

So naturally, me and a coworker decided to soup one up. (Customers frequently asked if this was something we could do). Many customers had actually tried to soup these up, so we were aware of the few primary problems.The tires are plastic and don’t have traction, so they spin a start-off. Adding more voltage (battery changes) just spins out the tires even more. Adding rubber to the tires and more power then shears the gears off the electric motors or transmission because they aren’t strong enough.

Lowering the voltage on a rubber enhanced ATV toy to a almost happy spot made the thing rattle and Ike crazy as the tires gripped and the transmission climbed the gears until It could force the tire to move in a erratic rhythm. And that is just in a straight line. Eventually the gears fail. The slidy plastic tires were the engineers solution to preventing the destruction of the drivetrain of the toy. The toys, as received, are durable, but fail rapidly when modified.

(Slippery tires are probably not the solution for electric cars, but who knows? Custom engineered Non-Newtonian tire rubber, anyone?)

So anyways, electric cars can control that a lot better with traction control and tons of electronics. There should be no long term reason the tires should wear out faster. I know some OEM tires are not the same spec as the replacements with the same numbers. They are often lighter for better reported model mileage, and some OEM new tires are often quieter, particularly on light trucks.

2010-06-07 17:06 Andrea Rossi 

WARNING: WE CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ANONIMOUS COMMENTS. THIS PRACTICE, INDIPENDENTLY FROM THE NATURE OF THE COMMENT, IS DEEMED UNACCEPTABLE FROM THE JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS.

THEREFORE, FROM NOW ON, ALL THE COMMENTS WHICH WILL NOT BE SIGNED CORRECTLY AND COHERENTLY WITH THE SOURCE OF THE EMAIL WILL BE PUT IN THE TRASH.

2011-05-21 14:34 Andrea Rossi 

Mr “Anonimous” ( why anonimous? )

I never supposed fission inside the E-Cats. I never found evidence of fission.

I cannot give information of what happens inside the reactor, also if at this point I have understood what happens. With 300 reactors in operation I am learning.

Warm regards,

A.R.

2015-09-24 03:01 Anonimous 

Dear Andrea:

Can you tell us which books are you presently reading now during the long nights inside the computer container, when you have not troubles with the plant?

Thank you,

Anonymous

2024-01-21 03:49 Anonimous 

I think the best thing is that the Ecat makes electricity and the customer makes of it what he wants enjoying the whole efficiency of the Ecat NGU, although to couple it with existing solar systems can be a good way to make easier to exploit the exixting authorizations and grid agreements

The “1 MW” plant was a fiasco such that many people are smarter and poorer, and some were shown to be incurable idiots.

Neat stuff.
    Looking at getting Ni63 from Ni62, and we have researched the cost of Ni62 in the past (around US $15000/gram), we know the cost of a battery big enough to run a car will be an serious impediment to wide adoption.

Since they have no research that indicates such a prototype possible - they have nothing until the completion of an initial working prototype.

They (correctly - if optimistically) talk about the research results showing the potential for high energy density. Great word that.

A couple of years out isn’t much for a project of this sort, realistically.

But it is getting to be close to completion of a device time so it might be interesting soon, one way or another.

A very good summary presentation ... The wright brothers were crazy ... We'll stay crazy!
    But very short on details ... only that the output (steam) is hundred's of C, so can be used in turbines.
    And they are still working on the Ikaros "engineering prototype" project.
    Everything else, particularly the industrial version, is "will ......"
    Not behind schedule, which is Phase 3 2023-2024 Phase 4 2024 https://www.cleanplanet.co.jp/technology/

Not behind schedule if you move the schedule…