Paradigmnoia Member
  • Member since Oct 23rd 2015

Posts by Paradigmnoia

Before and after traverse measurements.

(The specific sites are not matched, but each traverse is a sequence of 8 points in both columns).

65 mm 14 C

65 mm with “muffler” 14C

Average

Average

Well, you can believe what you want to Jed,

But no sane human being in the history of history would EVER inject disinfectant into their bodies.

Under no circumstances, except political ones, should that have been taken seriously.

The levels of idiocy that can be obtained by the motivated is hard to estimate.

There was that guy who injected himself with his own semen 18 times to cure back pain...

The mass of air should be a tiny bit higher at ambient compared to the heated temperature, but I doubt it is measurable.

How hot is it?

It seems to be about 0.2 m/s difference at Normal vs Standard at 3.5 m/s, which is about 40 L/min . With the previously uneven outlet air profile it was hard to really measure it well, but I have a spreadsheet that does the conversions.

I think it might mostly be the internal reference temperature for the hot wire, rather than the actual air mass difference calculations that throws things off more than 0.2 m/s. If the reference temperature is wrong, the power to heat the hot wire is calculated incorrectly, then the reported airflow is wrong. It takes a while for the probe tip to warm up (and cool down).

Can you post a sketch of this please.

Thanks

Here are a couple of photos.

Please excuse the rough work, but it was a long series of tests to get to the end result. It can be cleaned up now that the prototype is good.

The white cardboard tube is a 2.5" mailing tube from Staples. It has a layer of bubble wrap around it at the blower end.

And this lead to essentially re-inventing the muffler.

I slid the 125 mm ID SS pipe over the 65 mm ID outlet-with-a-12 cm-gap contraption, insulated (spaced, centering) the ends of the larger tube (maybe 5 cm wide) around the 65 mm tube, sealed the 70 to 125 mm radius openings with tape, and perfect smooth air now comes out the 65 mm outlet.

In other words, I think that a cheap 2 1/2 inch performance muffler can be stuck onto the blower fan and it will give easy-to-measure smooth air.

Checking the airflow out of the extended outlet tube confirms that the vane to Hot Wire ratio is apparently just reduced to smaller numeric values. 😕

However, the extended blower tube outlet air velocity profile is incredibly flat by the hot wire anemometer. Like 2.25 to 2.38 m/s everywhere in the 65 mm outlet.

That might lead to some progress.

I did a photo tachometer test of the vane anemometer and it reports almost exactly the expected RPM at the reported wind speed. Within two RPM, which is probably my method error more than a real error.

So then I experimented with a second 65 mm ID outlet tube in series with the first, but with an adjustable air gap between the tube sections. I moved the outer tube (with the vane anemometer on the far end) closer to the inner (source) tube until the wind speed just began to increase with the anemometer attached compared to 5 mm away from the tube opening. Basically the secondary tube was set in place where the tube air pressure did not increase with the vane anemometer capping the end. This speed is very close to the average of several hot wire traverse speeds from the main outlet tube, which is encouraging. It also suggests that static pressure bothers the vane anemometer, and is probably the cause of the main discrepancy between the hot wire and vane anemometer. [Keeping in mind that the vane is measuring in units at Actual Conditions, while the hot wire is measuring units at Normal Conditions, which are slightly different (about 0.2 m/s difference) at these air velocities].

Oh, and before that I spent several hours making and modifying diffuser grilles for the outlet of the blower fan (before the 20 cm long 65 mm ID tube) to see if I could tame the velocity profile of the tube outlet. I did eventually make some progress there, but overall very little. The effects of the airflow interference were so counterintuitive that at one point I was getting opposite results to what ai wanted, so I flipped the diffuser upside down (reversing the left and right grille profiles) and got mostly what I was looking for, which was no outlet air traverse locations above 5 m/s and none less than 2 m/s.

I assume they need calibrating for different flow temperature due to the way they work? Or are they meant to have compensation built in?

Google found a paper but I've not the time to read it...

https://iopscience.iop.org/art…0.1088/0022-3735/20/3/017

Hot wire anemometers report velocity in Normal Conditions, rather than Actual or Standard conditions, so all readings are as if they were collected at 20 C.

The probe also needs to be at the temperature of the air measured, or it will report as if the air is at whatever temperature the probe tip is, which could be ambient, but could be between ambient and the moving air temperature. The difference could easily work out to 10% of the heat recovery.

I am now back to working on the outlet flow... and I recall how much this sucks from the last time that I was working on it.

I installed the SS 125 x 500 mm cylinder (that was covering the heater) over top of the 65 mm ID outlet tube, so that the increased diameter might work better with the vane anemometer. I did hot wire anemometer traverses for comparison, at the steady state 200W input conditions.

The results are as aggravating as with the original on the 65 mm outlet.

Results

65 mm : 6.5 m/s vane, 2.85 m/s HW traverse average

125 mm: 2.0 m/s vane average, 0.85 m/s HW traverse average

At 65 mm 2.85 m/s is 72% input heat recovery

At 125 mm 0.85 m/s is 80% input heat recovery

The Hot Wire anemometer shows substantially higher air velocity at the outlet when at ambient temperature rather than when heat soaked in the outlet tube at the heated temperature.

OK, I just read this, and think I understand the implications. No more nuclear secret localities, right?

Wow!

Nuclear subs, no more. Secret nuclear enrichment, no more, nuclear proliferation that can actually be implemented through perfect knowledge, wow!!!

I was thinking the same thing, then thought... then neutrino shielding and manipulation will eventually result...leading to more neat stuff...

I am watching your experiments with attention Para. Have you just shot down a hypothesis about what is happening? Do we get to know what it was? Or are you not done with it yet?

I thought I knew what was going on, but disproved it with another perfectly normal run. I am just about to shut off the heater for cool down and will check the data in about 2 hours. But with a delta T of 13 and 493 C it looks normal. So more or less I have no idea what happened on Wednesday.

I will reveal what I found Wednesday morning before the anomalous test, now.
    After apparently “pushing” the electrical noise around for a while, doing diagnostics, I checked the main electrical service panel for the whole house and found that the main ground cable where it should bond to the main neutral cable from the pole was dead loose. Like almost two full turns of the set screw loose. So a basically floating neutral for the whole house. So I tightened up everything in the panel that I could (all else fine), then ran the anomalous Wednesday test.

Seeing the suddenly low heat, I figured that the floating neutral caused the AC voltage to climb, giving more heat for my earlier tests. So in theory all subsequent tests should have come out with lower heat than before fixing the ground. But the next two tests look like all the others. Just the one test is low. And the temperatures are reported independently from the heater power so it is hard to fool the whole system by messing with one variable.

The temperature seems to be back to the usual range this time.

Have to wait to see if the usual Delta T comes back too. It barely made it to a delta of 9.7 C last time, when closer to 14+ C is more usual.

Edit: The Delta T has come back, confirming the increased temperature is real.

Now to see if I can make it cold again...

An endothermic reaction? My reaction is, it is probably a mistake. Maybe not. The other day Mizuno asked me if I have heard of endothermic reactions in cold fusion, other than the expected chemical effects at the beginning of an electrochemical experiment. I said I have not heard of any. I don't why he asked. I will let him know about your results.

There was no reactant, so I doubt that anything endothermic happened, especially for 4 1/2 hours.

I did just now check to see that water was boiling at 100 C with the temperature data logger, and it did.

I know how I precipitated the event, but duplicating it exactly is something that I am quite reticent to try again. I am now working out how to do something similar, but more safely.

Just a hunch, but perhaps this would work more easily in Japan than the USA. I am not sure enough about that to say that with anything other than just a hunch that could easily be wrong.

It might be interesting to see if successful replications of Mizuno cluster in certain countries, though.