Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:
  • Portal

Posts by Alan Smith

If we get data with heater power on and off, that would help understand whether or not IR from the heater is important. If IR is important, that gives an avenue to understand the experiment more. What frequency gives best performance? Is the frequency/wavelength related to the size of the microvoids, cracks or grain boundaries in the Pd or Ni?

In some of the heating-cooling curves Jed presented there appears to be a little period of self-sustain before the usual Newtonian cooling curve takes over. Zooming in on the duration of that might provide a clue as to the frequency with which the heater could be used to restart the LENR reaction.

Do I really need the valve that has a quesion mark next to it? I don't think so...

The cold trap itself is problematic. If this is a conventional carbon/dry ice/alchohol cold trap then the D2 will not get past it. I think that what you need is a gas drier, zeolite molecular sieve is the way to go for that. Normally you would have a cold trap between reactor and QMS, in order to remove remnant D2 and let the helium go by - since a QMS would struggle to distinguish between the two.

I read that Storms heated a piece of Ni mesh to blue ie noteable thickness of NiO. He found it impossible to transfer Pd, even though he rubbed the crap out of it.

Tricky that - the oxide layer formed by presumably intense heat is - potentially at least - physically different to that formed at low temperatures- it may for example be glassy in nature, rather than abrasive. But Ed is a careful and skilful experimenter, and has probably considered things like that.

And what does it have to do with building a powerful so-called hybrid fusion-fission reactor (whatever that is) in Guam or anywhere else?

Steady on now. You asked what they did besides thinking up catchy slogans, so I sent you some papers describing the 'what else'. As for the reactor in Guam, why not ask your national military, seeing as they seem to pretty much run the place?

If somebody has the time it would be very useful (to me) to work out how much D2 Mizuno's 3kW reactor would transmute - I have done this calculation 'back of the envelope' style and cannot see how there's room for enough D2 at the known reactor volume and stated final gas pressure. 50 mg of Pd cannot hold a lot of gas - maybe a few mg, as as far as 'free' gas goes at a few pascals there isn't much in the reactor. Have I (as I often do) skipped a decimal point somewhere? I just cannot see how there's enough available energy to make this work for long

Nagamitsu Yoshimura Vacuum Technology Practice for Scientific Instruments. Springer 2007

A free pdf.

Many scientific instruments for analyzing specimen surface such as the electron
    microscope and the Auger electron spectrometer require clean, ultrahigh vacuum.
    The electron microscope and Auger electron spectrometer need fine electron probe,
    requiring a field emission emitter which can well work under ultrahigh vacuum. In
    the electron microscope and the ion microscope, microdischarges due to applying
    high voltage to electrodes sometime occur, resulting in deterioration of image quality. Microdischarges are related with the gas molecules on the surfaces of insulators
    and electrodes.
    For many scientific instruments such as the electron microscope, a very clean, ultrahigh vacuum is necessary in the vicinity of the specimen and the electron emitter.
    So, ultrahigh vacuum technology is essential for microscope engineers and microscope users.
    This book consists of the following chapters:
    Chapter 1 Designing of Evacuation Systems
    Chapter 2 Vacuum Pumps
    Chapter 3 Simulation of Pressures in High-Vacuum Systems
    Chapter 4 Outgassing
    Chapter 5 Phenomena Induced by Electron Irradiation
    Chapter 6 Vacuum Gauges
    Chapter 7 Microdischarges in High Vacuum
    Chapter 8 Emitters for Fine Electron Probes
    Some important articles on the subject of every chapter are reviewed, and their discussions and conclusions are presented in rather high detail. The author believes
    that Chaps. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 would help the engineers who engage in designing the
    vacuum systems of ultrahigh vacuum scientific instruments such as electron microscopes. Chapters 7 and 8 will help the users of the scientific instruments using
    electron probes to understand the key technology intrinsic to electron beam systems,
    like high-voltage discharge and narrow electron beam emitter.

http://www-eng.lbl.gov/~shuman…EFs/Vacuum-Technology.pdf

How to reconcile Groszek's addition of water, oxygen, nitrogen and/or other gases in the atmosphere with the requirement for having a very pure environment in Mizuno's experiment?

Quite simply I don't reconcile them. Mizuno's quest for purity may not be a requirement.

My interest in Groszek also led me to this - posted in another thread a couple of years back:-

This paper was presented, by one of the great scientists of his time, Lord Rayleigh, at a meeting of the Royal Society. If correct, it is in actual fact a very important paper indeed - and it might just be describing an LENR event. Keen observers will note the (moderate) similarities to a more recent patent I mentioned in here :- US 20130276771 A1. Filed by Aleksander Groszek in 2010. This describes a method of generating thermal energy, by contacting the surface of a metal with hydrogen gas, forming a surface having hydrogen absorbed thereon. The hydrogenated surface is then exposed to an oxygen atmosphere, when the oxygen component reacts with the absorbed hydrogen to produce thermal energy. In between these two steps, the metal surface is activated with an atmosphere comprising water. Thermal energy given off during this process is reported to be considerably higher than can be accounted for by chemistry alone.

The strange thing about the Rayleigh patent, is that I can find no sign that it was commented on or replicated by anyone, in fact it might well have been met with an embarrassed silence....that's LENR for you!

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Files

I suppose it depends somewhat on the experiment design. I did testing in the automotive industry for projecting corrosion life of particular components. Some of which where treated with novel and exotic treatments. I am not an expert in chemistry or even some of the metallurgy that was involved, but I was more than capable of conducting expedited corrosion tests to simulate 10 years of normal automotive environment exposure, condensed to about 30 days.

I too have conducted many such tests on surface coatings, and they require some skill and close attention. However, comparing that with performing experiments in condensed matter nuclear science is a bit like comparing being a griddle chef with being head chef at the Ritz. The breadth of knowledge and range of technical (and often engineering) skills required to design, build, and perform an experiment to test a presumably novel theory about nuclear interactions under 'non-normal' conditions is way greater than that needed for performing standardized tests of any kind.

seven_of_twenty

From memory ES responded to a question. and his one response was plenty, job done. But I'm not going back to conduct a full analysis of another persons work so don't even ask, ;) However, allowing multiple responses from others will just push the thread off topic totally. so you have to decide where to prune out the branch you don't want. Someone on the team decided and acted on that decision. I would not say 'not fair' , under the circumstances, but rather 'not perfect'. That's forum life for you.

just got a used turbomolecular pump and now I'm looking at step down fittings. Are there any strong opinions about this type of extreme reducer? A conical reducer would have more natural flow characteristics, by unambiguously sending molecules into the entire diameter of the blades, but they are more expensive. But, maybe it doesn't really matter much in practice? Ultimately it looks like a lot of us are stepping down to 1/4" and 1/2" piping anyway...

When you are working at the kind of vacuums Turbos can produce then the concept of flow is almost meaningless IMO, since the pressure differentials involved are almost non-existent. it's the 'drunkards walk' of random gas molecules into the turbo that matters. If it's any comfort there is around 40cms of 18mm (3/4 in) corrugated stainless tube between the roughing pump and the turbo in our system and last night when I left the lab it was holding around 5x10-8mB. Though that is after a weeks constant pumping and 4 days low temperature bakeout of the QMS. Heat helps in several ways, helping to volatilise crap inside the system, increasing the kinetic energy of gas molecules and thus the effective pressure.