Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

nickec

A suggestion- i don't think if money is tight that you should get hung up on using any particular kind of stainless steel. the cheap way to build a modest-pressure/high vacuum system would be to use some stainless steel truck exhaust pipe- this is available in quite short pieces. Then get 2 flat plates of thick stainless to make the ends. Drill the corners and hold them together with 4 pieces of threaded rod running from end to end of the reactor. Cut gasket plates from sheet silicon rubber. If they are not too close to the heater they will surive just fine. I have built some good and inexpensive vacuum chambers that way., and with care run such systems as high as 8 bar - but that risk is for you to decide on.

To remove the air use a standard 2-stage roughing pump -probably $250 on ebay. Flush the system with hydrogen (while cold) and vacuum several times. Then add a little more hydrogen and (here's the tricky bit) you need to have a little coil of vape wire inside the reactor that you can heat to bright yellow. This will encourage any minute traces of oxygen left as gas to combine with the hydrogen and become water vapour. Vacuum and flush with dry hydrogen a couple more times and I think you will be anoxic. I suspect that a 1hp roughing pump will do everything you need. This is the one we use.

Alan claims that the heating coil provides magnetic field stimulus.

That's not a claim it is a fact that a solenoid coil carrying a current creates a magnetic field. You know that to be a given. You also (I hope) know that magnetic field strength drops very rapidly with increasing distance...I advanced the hypothesis based on my own observations that a stronger magnetic field is the cause of the improved cold fusion reaction rate. As you say that can be tested. AC or DC makes no difference to the facts I mentioned, but merely add the frisson of field polarity reversal.

By the way, the heater used to be wrapped around the outside of the reactor. Putting it inside improved the COP partly just because it takes less power to heat from inside. It also seems to enhance the reaction. I do not know why, but Mizuno may have some thoughts on the matter.

No real mystery there for me Jed - the magnetic fields generated by the heating coil are providing more stimulus. Magnetic field strength is very distance-dependent - In a magnetic dipole, which is what solenoid heater coils are, the strength of the magnetic field falls off with the cube of the distance. So they obey an inverse-cube law (1/r3).

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/…gth-over-distance.886473/

I was asked elsewhere about the reason for using mesh instead of plate. This was my answer, which may be of general interest..

'I can think only that the mesh is better for mechanical reasons - the wires make it more abrasive than a smooth plate for a start, with an obvious increase in the ease of burnishing with Pd. The other thing is that the wire is relatively fragile compared to a plate - so the burnishing action with the Pd, as well as stresses cause by the wire-drawing and weaving process might well result in creating a very large number of stress-cracks in the surface.

Also I expect that the Ni wire is hot washed after drawing to remove soap, then re-coated with lubricant before it is woven, then hot washed in acid to clean and brighten it as a final part of the process. If it has cracks and oxide spots on the surface that after an acid pickle would result in the creation of a certain amount of 'texturing'. that might be helpful.

BTW, I spent some time looking for metallurgical microscope pictures of Ni wire, but no luck. However, I have such a microscope and some Ni 200 wire here and will take a look. I would not be surprised if it looks (to a certain extent) a bit like the hide of an Armadillo. '

I think you definitely need a turbomolecular pump, Swaglok connections,

You are probably right. In fact definitely right. A modern turbomolecular pump in good order will probably cost around $3k from a 'pre-owned lab dealer- including the controller. But nickec was thinking of trying to build one based on a bad design idea. (IMHO). The method I suggested will be way better than that.

I don't specifically know about gaming Researchgate but social media like Twitter are pretty simple to game as to numbers of reads, likes, and so on. And if you don't want to bother learning how, there are services available which will do it for you.

Perhaps you should make enquiries? Specifically for RG. The other ones are well known

From today's Guardian.

FCA intervention follows questions about oversight despite rush of withdrawals from troubled flagship fund

Kalyeena Makortoff , Julia Kollewe and Phillip Inman

Tue 18 Jun 2019 17.56 BSTFirst published on Tue 18 Jun 2019 13.41 BST

Neil Woodford

Neil Woodford’s Equity Income Fund was suspended on 3 June after clients rushed to withdraw their cash. Photograph: Troika/Alamy

The City regulator has launched a formal investigation into the suspension of Neil Woodford’s flagship investment fund amid criticism that the regulator was asleep at the wheel.

In a new blow to the one-time star fund manager, the Financial Conduct Authority chief executive, Andrew Bailey, revealed the investigation in a 10-page letter to Nicky Morgan, the Treasury select committee chair and MP.

The MP had asked the regulator to provide details of its contact with the embattled stock picker before his £3.7bn Equity Income Fund was closed to withdrawals on 3 June, and questioned the FCA’s “alertness to the problems”.

I will have to figure out a non-solder solution to properly connect them to DC power

Swap out your steel bolts and use nylon ones instead. So long as you can keep the temperature reasonable they should be ok mechanically, and you can solder the leads to a brass washer held in place by the nylon bolts to get a solid electrical connection..

I suppose allowing the flame to play on a K-type thermocouple in an alumina sheath (or bare stainless steel) might prove to be an interesting method of measurement.

An interesting idea, I expect that you will get some kind of resonance as you hope. One of the mechanisms for this might well be the formation and subsequent escape of gas or (depending on current and voltage) steam bubbles from the gap. Not sure you need a neutral plate btw -I think it will merely confuse things by producing 2 resonant systems rather than one. What you have is akin to a tuning fork of course.

As for electrodes, I suggest you go to a cheap hardware store and buy a couple of cheap and flimsy stainless steel knives - they might be flexible enough to give you a result.