Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

Existing Source for Muon-Catalyzed Nuclear Fusion Can Give Megawatt Thermal Fusion Generator. Leif Holmlid

Abstract

Fusion power generators employing muon-catalyzed nuclear fusion can be developed using a new type of laser-driven muon generator. Results using this generator have been published, and those data are now used to derive the possible fusion power using this generator. Muon-catalyzed fusion has been studied for 60 years, and the results found in such studies are used here to determine the possible power output. Since the muon source gives complex mixtures of mesons and leptons, which have very different interactions with the measuring equipment, the number of negative muons formed is not easily found exactly, but reasonable values based on numerous published experiments with different methods are used to predict the energy output. With deuterium-tritium as fuel, a fusion power generator employing the novel muon generator could give more than 1 MW thermal power. The thermal power using pure deuterium as fuel may be up to 220 kW initially: It will increase with time up to over 1 MW due to the production of tritium in one reaction branch. The power required for running a modern laser and the muon generator is estimated to be of the order of 100 W, thus giving a total energy gain of more than 10 000. The harmful radiation from such fusion power generators is mainly in the form of neutrons from the fusion reactions. Thus, thick radiation shields are necessary as for almost all other fusion concepts. This means that medium-scale thermal fusion power generators of the muon-catalyzed fusion type may become available within a relatively short time.

There is a very comprehensive archive holding Bohr's letters in Denmark - the link below takes you to the brief descriptions of letters between Bohr and Langmuir. The full text is available on application - I don't have copies I'm afraid.

http://archon.nbi.dk/index.php…otcontentid=40460#id40460

This is one of the key papers on hydrogen dissociation by Langmuir.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja02168a002 (paywalled!)

This link takes you to an article on the Chava Science website (not my favourite source normally) that says something about the disagreement between Langmuir and bohr.

https://chavascience.com/en/hy…cess-energy-from-hydrogen

Sadly much of the core information is difficult to find, however it should be said the Langmuir re-ran his experiments using a different method and did reach closer agreement with Bohr's theoretical value. But in fairness, this argument has not been entirely settled, an many other experiments have shown what was considered to be a settled value (bohr's) is not correct. You must remeber all this work was done long ago, and things have moved on a little since then.

Well written and interesting. But what happened with the chimpanzee? Was that your account, or were you quoting someone?

Yes- I really saw it cross the road in front of me - I had to stop to avoid running it down, and it lived through a hard winter in thick woodland in fox-hunting country (Belvoir, Lincs) for at least 5 months before being recaptured after breaking into a house.

I have been part of a weekly voice-only skype conference for years. I think there have been over 300 meetings, divided between 'strictly business' with a set agenda and a call convener/chairman followed by a 'bullshit session' where anything can be discussed. Attendee numbers vary between 5 and 10 most weeks, highest I can remember was 20+. Topics covered in the business session cover a wide range of scientific matters including LENR, with the odd foray into mathematics, bitcoin, computing etc. Only rule of the group is that information disclosed in these meetings is never ever leaked into the public domain. This policy has not been breached to my knowledge and has proved it's worth by the quality of invitees we sometimes bring into the calls.

Skype for Busines is IMHO as a sometimes user is crappy compared with 'plain vanilla' Skype which I have used extensively as a messaging service and for conference calls for years. Zoom is good I hear, but have never used it.

Forum member, regular visitor and infrequent poster Ed Lewis sent me this long (ish) but easy to read article about "Strange Particles" .Some researchers hold that the "strange traces" of the Russians are caused by monopoles, especially what is called the Lochack monopole that is a theorized kind of "leptonic monopole." Many in the CF Field, especially older people, say that there is no need for any kind of paradigm shift. They say that their own Quantum Mechanics theories are correct or that they don't see a need for a drastic revision of QM. They say the anomalies of CF can be explained by QM one day. To Ed this is nonsense. Their attempts haven't worked for 30 years, and they keep ignoring all the anomalies of plasmoid phenomena.

Ed Lewis Article..pdf

The gradual rise in COP reported by Brillouin from an initial 1.5 to over 2.5 suggests a slow increase in NAE sites in their Al2O3/Ni reactor cores occurs over a very long timescale, taking several MONTHS of high frequency electrical pulse stimulation.

Do you know that their results were obtained by using the same core over and over - or are they successively improved (by some means) cores running in the same experimental rig? I must confess I have not spotted anything to conform either possibility.

I have known Russ for 2 years, worked alongside him every day for 13 months. He's a pussycat, but with a serious allergy to things he considers bullshit. Which makes two of us. You would be surprised at how many LENR people I meet who say 'give my best wishes to Russ' and really mean it. He has enemies for sure (another thing we share) but he has many friends too, and never hesitates to heap praise on many people in the field whose work, brains and skills he admires.

In any case, the upcoming 30th anniversary deals with F&P, not Rossi and his farces. The only challenge that makes sense in this weeks is to reach a deeper understanding of their experimental results and possibly a broader agreement on the reality of their claims.

There is broad agreement that their results are sound. You are one of a select band of F&P deniers, and on the wrong side of a very poor argument.