Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015

Posts by Alan Smith

Rather difficult axil. Particle energy calculations are generally easier than working out what you want to know. The sprites here have more than just kinetic energy expressed as 1/2 mv2 for a non-rotating object. But these objects obviously are rotating, and have heat energy, which energy causes mini -thermals which create motion, Another possible cause of motion -which I think we see- are propulsive forces generated by the emission of gas jets.

Picking the bones out of that would be a long job.

It looks like the energy of impact produces EVOs as the release and conversion of kinetic energy to heat vaporizes metal and the heat activated nanoparticles generates the LENR reaction as they often do.

Alternatively, it is known that explosions can create MHD effects resulting in electrical discharges. Perhaps these 3-5 micron particles have an EVO wrapped around them, like the paper on a toffee? Which is a wild speculation, but it is Saturday after all.:)

It would be interesting to look inside the walls of the hole produced by the impacting particle with a SEM to see if there has been produced any transmutation of elements.

... spectral analysis of the sections and sections of the channels formed by the advent of microparticles in the thickness of the targets made it possible to detect the appearance of new elements. In the targets of bombarded microparticles in the regime of superdeep penetration, the presence of a radon gas,...

which was not originally present in the samples under investigation, was also detected. X-ray
    film installed in the target area was exposed. In some experiments, the nature of the illumination turned out to be
    ruled.

This indicates that the phenomenon of ultra-deep penetration of microparticles into barriers is associated with complex synthesizing and unexplored high-energy physical processes that are characteristic for the physics of
    elementary particles and the atomic nucleus.

Surely the most convincing demonstration of the reality of his LENR reaction would be to let a unit run away even to destruction. It should produce lots of heat. More than can be accounted for by any chemical reaction.

I thought so once, but soon discovered that it is very annoying when happening in a 'wet' system. Such an annoying phenomenon that I went looking for more controllable systems. A runaway reaction teaches you very little and often involves a lot of wasted time rebuilding (sometimes expensive) equipment. Bangs are for babies.

Alan Smith

Is it a scientifically known phenomenon? Does it have a specific name?

Yes, they are called 'sprites'. They are commonly observed in connection with lightning, and I have seem them from 240V high current short circuits.

Were THEY present at this demo?

Yes, in strength. And being very sociable and optimistic. The other financial questions - I have no knowledge of who paid for what -but I suspect that this was mostly on Rossi's dollar.

@Bob - Well, sorry you feel that way. I have done my best, but in the face of a flood of other reports (Mats, ECW's rep) it seemed unreasonable to write up much of the same things again. I do remain gently skeptical but in general I am positive that Rossi has got something real, and I am not alone in that. If I had no hope, I would not have gone, but as someone there said to me 'This is the hottest ticket in maverick science'.

Nothing I didn't see has made me change my mind about Rossi's general flakiness, but nothing I saw has made me want to disavow the man. If donors thought they were paying for a Damascene conversion, they are doomed to disappointment, since I am not so easily bought. And anyone who would like their cash back on the grounds that they donated expecting me to rubbish Rossi on my return only has to ask. I should remind you that I never asked for donations, they were volunteered, much to my surprise -they certainly made it easier for me to go, and I did appeal for people to stop donating when it yielded enough to cover my flight and hotel. I remain grateful for the support, as it helps me to continue with my own support of researchers with materials and equipment 'pro bono'. I try to give back at least as much as I receive.

ps. Sincerely glad the market is looking after you, in 2008 I did a lot of looking after the market. But some things will defy gravity, at least for a while.

Rossi said something like this: "I had to invent new materials", not: "I had to search for and use such new materials"....

"I had to invent new materials" - make this ' I had to invent new combinations of materials' and the problem goes away.

Fusion is not produced in LENR.

We just have to get by with transmutation. Like Deuterium to Tritium. :)

BTW. you say 'the theory was wrong'. Which particular theory? There are lorry loads of theories, which might be part of the problem.

Materials other than alumina or similar ceramics would be outside the realm of home-made testing.

Quartz would probably be ok. Same m.p. as Alumina more or less, but the envelope temperature would depend on the duty cycle, at 5-10% on with plenty of off time such a tube would/should survive. After all, quartz envelopes survive tungsten-halogen filaments at 100% duty for thousands of hours, admittedly with a much larger surface area and internal convection cooling.