Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

Dewey Weaver wrote:
    Bass and Fabiani would be best advised to cop a deal soon. Its too late for Johnson.

Leaving aside the others mentioned, who I know little or nothing about, why on earth would Fabiani want to 'cop a deal' about anything? He has not been charged with an offence, neither has he been AFAIK properly served with a subpoena to appear in a Florida court in any capacity. Fabiani is an electro-mechanical engineer with a great deal of expertise in pinball machines. He also dabbles in circuit design and software writing at some level. Since he does not appear to be a physicist, or even a 'proper scientist', unless there is a really solid 'smoking gun' apart from prolonged close contact as an employee in the Rossi show there is no reason for anybody to suppose that he is a part of any (as yet totally unproven) fraudulent activity. I think Dewey is getting a little ahead of himself (and the court) in this case.

ETA -seen wonderful things' means nothing in this or any other context. I saw a man dancing naked in the street 2 weeks ago. Not wonderful perhaps, but certainly remarkable and surprising.

It has been shown experimentally that the Surface Plasmon polariton produces a magnetic monopole field.

Hi Axil. I ca't really get my head around this magnetic monopole stuff- it sounds like 'one hand clapping' to me. Can you explain how such a particle can exist and be proven to do so? (as simply as possible please). Or -seeing as you are the master here -point me to a link with a reasonable account of these things?

As a native english speaker I can think of many ways in which the word 'dummy' could be used. Here are some.

A dummy run. Can be used in many circumstances where an operation is performed with some missing ingredient. For example, in Rugby where a player seemingly heading to score a try adopts body language suggesting he is carrying the ball in his arms when actually another player has it.

A dummy. A pacifier, something you offer a fractious baby to keep it quiet.

Crash dummy. A replica human used when safety-testing cars.

And so on.

I see no objection at all to using the term to describe the testing of a control in a scientific test. Objections are merely a matter of rather desperate use of semantics, not of science. As for assigning such a test a COP =1, it hardly matters, since by doing so you assume the whole system is conforming to the normal thermodynamic rules, and neither creating nor destroying any energy, while ignoring the fact that some of it may be transformed into forms you cannot detect.

So long as the same instrumentation and methods are used for 'live' tests, and we assume that the difference between dummy and live runs is sufficiently large to remove all doubt, it is not absolutely wrong to do this when performing a qualitative experiment. Quantitative experiments with proper calorimetry would be a different matter of course, but we have no way of knowing into which category the current experiments should be placed.

For example, if someone were to design a miracle fuel-saving carburettor for a car, I could see no objection to defining the COP of the car with a conventional carburettor as unity (COP=1) and thus describing any improvement with the miracle carb as being a multiple of that.

This of course, assumes that any of this stuff works at all, a matter on which I am for the moment reserving judgement and some element of proportion.

This is a way outside my own small area of expertise, but I think this paper might be important - by A.P. Rau, based on the work of Chandrasekhar on stellar atmospheres- where we know many mysterious (and possibly LENR related) events occur. Free download.

Abstract. The negative ion of hydrogen continues to be important in atomic physics and astrophysics. Correlations between the two electrons are strong already in the ground state, the only bound state in this three-body system. This state attracted early interest, especially for the description of stellar atmospheres by Chandrasekhar and others. More recently, the rich spectrum of doubly-excited states, and the nature of the double escape above the break-up energy of 14.35 eV, have been central to our understanding of highly-correlated, non-separable problems in quantum physics. This article is a survey of the story of H– as it has developed over the last seventy years.

http://www-old.ias.ac.in/jarch/jaa/17/113-145.pdf

Good luck H.G., and please keep us informed if you can. And my offer of some pro-bono help from 'lookingforheat' is still open - we are not as some have suggested solely interested in Ni-H research, but within the limits of time and money are open to all ideas. The main problem with LENR studies, is that there are too many talkers, and too few experimenters, a situation we are trying to remedy.

Hi H.G.

This is a good background paper on Hydrogen ab/adsorption by metals - page 77 et seq. looks at Iron Oxides in particular. I suspect that Protium is preferentially ad/absorbed, since the presence of small amounts of Pt-Black is said to promote hydrogenation.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1602/1602.06774.pdf

As for conductivity, I am not sure what temperature zone you are working in, but the addition of finely divided carbon (as Carbon Black) would enhance conductivity and I suspect also operate as a 'spill-over' catalyst to further enhance hydrogenation. Get too hot of course, and the carbon would simply reduce the iron oxides to metallic iron. That's the blast furnace route. :(

I must confess a personal interest here, since www.lookingforheat.com has stocks of micron-sized iron powder, Fe2O3, and pure carbon black. We also have a larger particle size crushed magnetite - Fe3O4. In similar vein we currently stock magnesium, calcium and zinc oxides as well as palladium black. If your needs are modest we might be able to donate at least some of these in the interest of the science.

Hi Mike.

If you are referring to my comment 'add your own water' above, I simply meant that water would be needed to make powdered Fe2O3 into clay - which is normally a paste of powder(s) and water. Water-sourced hydrogen as fuel was the last thing on my mind. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

It is no wonder that the moderator has failed in his attempts to produce a viable LENR reaction. His mentality is wedded to the 19th century methods where any modern thought processes can't penetrate through and is immediately mired in the caution of caked black coal dust and clouds of steam that weighs down century old thinking patterns. Don't expect any LENR breakthroughs from these old timers. LENR is a field for the supple of mind and the unburdened of thought.

How very sweet of you Axil. I never knew you cared -how I wish my thoughts were as unburdened as yours. :D . Has it not occurred to you that if you have a cheap source of heat like LENR there is no need to spend uneccessary and possibly wasted money on what is actuallyunproven CO2 turbine technology to gain a few extra points?

The most obvious would be red Heamatite clay Fe2O3. Also known as 'red ochre'. Since the natural material contains many impurities I suggest (if you think this worth pursuing) that you buy a purified form of Fe2O3. Micron sized it is available relatively cheaply micron-sized as 'jewellers rouge' Add your own water.

My take on this is different. Here we have Rossi claiming that there was secret information that Murray was not to see. As Rossi accepted payment to transfer ALL the IP to IH, this implies he did not comply with that agreement. What a revelation! Furthermore, how can he claim that there was a GPT if it included undisclosed secrets?

IH was not in any sense of the word a competitor, since as you say, they were due 'full disclosure' and allegedly working together with Rossi. Even Anesser would not make that mistake. I think the implication is (perhaps) that Murray was intent on selling information to a third party and therefore a spy.

I agree in part. In fact, on one occasion I insisted Axil used the term 'Hypothesis' to describe one of his many ideas instead of presenting it as fact. What I really was objecting to was the imputation that he is in need of therapy.

I have known a lot of people with serious mental health problems, and it is not helpful or amusing (to me) to see the subject used in a mocking way. I have objected to Abd's free use of the term about Rossi in the past, and also objected to several people telling me (in conversations) that Abd was in their opinion insane.

So, for future references, mental health jokes and related insults are both off limits. When you see the effects mental illness can have on a person and their friends and loved ones you will perhaps realise that this is not an accusation to be made lightly.

Rossi uses steam, his patent is based on heating a fluid in most cases water so his output is steam. This makes him limited to a few hundred centigrade of output temperature. So sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about. We seem to have managed with steam for the last couple of centuries, and steam-based power is still one of the most important and best-understood forms of electricity generation. Supercritical CO2 is whizzy new technology, but currently it has no serious pedigree. This leaves system developers with a dilemma- pioneering on too many fronts at once without any engineering experience to fall back on. Even if BLP have the 'keys to the kingdom' it would be a very brave -possibly foolhardy- venture capitalist who went down the Suncell+CO2 turbine route.

Straighten up a bit guys, this is a thread about comments on the Rossi Blog, not a thread about comments made in this forum (which cannot be bullied) or IH's spending habits. Off topic a tad too far. Green ink will be deployed -at least (or maybe even purple, and we all know what that means.)

Lightning-fast switch for electron waves - more polaritons for Axil.

(Nanowerk News)

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=45366.php

The characteristic shine of metals is created by electrons which can freely move in the interior of the material and reflect incoming radiation. Similar to water waves on a pond, waves can form on the surface of this electron sea – so called “surface plasmons”. Instead of a stone that is thrown into water, light is used to generate surface plasmons in the laboratory. When light is focused onto a nanometer-sharp metallic tip, miniature waves propagate on the material’s surface in a circular fashion starting from the tip apex. A nanometer is only approximately ten times the size of the diameter of a single atom. The miniature waves could be used in future compact electronic devices for lightning-fast information transport.So far, however, there has been no means of switching such surface waves on and off on ultrafast timescales, which is essential. Conversely, in conventional electronics the analogous mechanism is realized by transistors.Now, for the first time, a team of scientists at the University of Regensburg, in collaboration with colleagues from Pisa, have demonstrated the experimental on/off switching of waves on the electron sea, laying the foundation for future plasma-electronics (Nature Nanotechnology, "Femtosecond photo-switching of interface polaritons in black phosphorus heterostructures").Read more: Lightning-fast switch for electron waves

Try this...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.