Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015

Posts by Alan Smith

Well, maybe. There are possibly other materials that would suit - but radicals (normally OH) are extremely reactive - so much so they are toxic. Pure OH would rapidly become 12 OH -> 6H20 + 3O2.

Happy New Year to all!

'Tis the season to be jolly

Tralalala it's Tritium

Peer reviewers say it's folly

But we all just pity'em

May your Geigers start to clatter

Tralalala it's Tritium

And your cooling curves get flatter

XSH is just the minimum

New Year gift we want to see.

Best Wishes. Alan Smith

This month, the world's gigafactory pipeline out to 2031 surpassed 8 TWh, as assessed by Benchmark. This is 60% higher than the total pipeline at the start of this year. Although China remains at the top of this capacity build-out, North America and Europe are both building pace, increasing their respective pipelines by 49% and 40%.

Last week, Zimbabwe banned the export of unprocessed lithium ores in a bid to tackle individual artisanal mining in the country. The ban also ensures that any projects due to come online will, at the very least, process the ore into concentrate to capture more of the value-add. Find out how this could impact the country's lithium here.

The most-read story of 2022 is from April, when the capacity of the gigafactory pipeline first exceeded 6 TWh. All these gigafactories will increase the demand for raw materials. A Benchmark infographic from September was one of the most-read stories of the year, and explored how many mines will be needed to meet this demand (at least 300).

Lithium's record-breaking price rise has been a key topic this year. Benchmark's explanation of why lithium is expected to remain in a structural shortage until at least 2025 was our fourth most-read article of 2022.

North America was the focus of two of Benchmark's top reads this year. Quebec became a hub for the battery midstream as cathode producers including BASF and a joint venture by GM and Posco announced plants in the province, as we reported in March.

But the big story in North America this year came from the US with the far-reaching and ambitious Inflation Reduction Act in August.

Updates from Francesco.

Following the recent (17-18 December 2022) Multidisciplinary Workshop "Assisi Nel vento 11" (ANV11), held (this time) at Loreto-Italy, we prepared an EDITED version of our presentation, after waiting 10 days to collect comments/suggestions/critics from the people attending the Workshop by web. The document was uploaded to-day at ResearchGate.

The title/link, DOI are:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/366622503_Experiments_with_Constantan_in_gases_new_measurements_of_thermal_anomalies_changing_gas_type_and_electric_waveforms

DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.33012.42885/1

* We consider such paper particularly important/useful because clarify several open problems in the LENR-AHE field, using thin and long wires, in general. In our case Constantan (Cu55Ni44Mn1).

The comparison among DC and AC (50 Hz, just the main line in Italy) stimulation (symmetric and Unipolar, Positive and Negative) are really important to shade some light on the LENR-AHE, extremely complex, problematic.
    Moreover, just using the main line, is specially efficient to minimize the extra power needed to activate/trigger the reactions.

* The addition of thermal insulating gas (like Ar) to the main gas used (He for calibration; H2 as "active"), gives further information about the role of electrons in the reactions. Such electrons are emitted, in situ, by Low Work Function materials added to the Constant wire's surface: made "operative" just by high temperatures (Richardson effect).

* The isotopic effect Hydrogen<-->Deuterium seems reconfirmed, at least about initial the measurements at the highest power/temperatures allowable (600-800 °C).

* Again, the hydrogen flux into the bulk or from the surface seems the be the key-factor that produce AHE.

* The model/evidence of Hydrogen-induced Super Abundant Vacancies (SAV), increased by large electromigration for long times, as introduced by Prof. Mike Staker (Loyola University-USA), seems gaining more credibility.

In conclusion, I will be very happy if You can upload the document on LENR Forum and Cold Fusion Now.

Happy New Year, Francesco Celani

So what should it remain ? VUV or low neutron, low protons ? Never you gave your way of thinking, hypothesis, good or bad ?

I didn't quite say that. Ionised gas is still the main mode of charge transport between electrodes. BUT - Ed Storms thinks there is direct electron emission at the surface of the co-dep electrodes.

I am not so much reticent on theory, as very uncertain which theory might be correct.

On the topic of adding radioactive compounds to increase ionisation Frank and Harper have put a lot of time into testing the effect. Both the theoretical studies (Harper is very good at the meth required) and the experiments show that worthwhile gains using particle emissions (alpha etc) need the LEC to be too radioactive for comfort. As evidenced by Ohmari's work enhancement of the effect is best served by looking into electrode surface treatments, and as Stevenson suggested, semi-conductive effects. I was very pleased btw to see some confirmation of my own finding that work-function differences are not a key driver of the effect.

is a smaller coil with a nail feasible in the exptal context ...?

A much smaller coil is possible, diameter 1cm but probably no more than 15 turns on the space available, and because of lower resistance (less wire) only 1.5-2.0A at 50V. Possibly wise to go for a lower voltage, say 8A at 12V D, though 20A at 5V might be possible.

The nail isn't really helpful, since the fuel inside the tube the coil described above would be wrapped around is mostly ferromagnetic. Biggest problem I see here is that fused alumina (the fuel tube) becomes quite conductive when you hit 450-500C. Leakage currents from the coil could upset the thermocouple inside the tube.

Paradigmnoia

I'm not totally sure what you mean by 'reverse polarity' but when we tried an alternating NS magnetic dield on a frequency of about 10Hz it killed any reaction immediately.

There's a clue there, I think, for people who wonder how to control LENR systems.

Alan Smith , may I ask what do you think?

I think it is a key factor. I had a hunch about this being important - because that is what happens (to a limited extent) in electrolysis - the creation and orientation of magnetic dipoles in the material. And sure enough, Russ and I found that an intermittent unipolar magnetic field did stimulate LENR reactions - hence my early adoption of high-current low-voltage DC solenoid heaters wrapped around the fuel tubes. This meant that we had more Ampere-turns and hence a stronger B-Field around the fuel as it was heated and then allowed to cool to just below the Curie point. Which is where we often saw the best results.