Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

BTW- 304 S/Steel seems reluctant to accept much hydrogen, at least at the temperature level in the tank. I know you can hot gas load it, but electrolysis only yields around 10mV. Mild steel is better, though I have no reliable data to hand. The reluctance of a Zirconium cathode to accept hydrogen came as a surprise, but the literature shows that it readily accepts hydrogen gas loading at higher temperatures.

I see the nickel mesh is connected to the black, and the zinc plate to the red lead. Am I correct in seeing no negative sign in front of the meter reading? (the image is slightly obscured by a light refection) i.e. does the nickel register as negative in relation to the zinc? Cheers.

I think it does. I'm just looking for a potential difference and don't worry about polarity every time. Doing formal experiments for a paper is different of course.

British energy planning (a horror story)

British energy planning (a horror story) | James McSweeney | The Critic Magazine
    Looking for a light read? Perhaps a fairy tale to settle the kids before bed? If so, I highly recommend the publications page of the Department of Business,…
    thecritic.co.uk

Looking for a light read? Perhaps a fairy tale to settle the kids before bed?

If so, I highly recommend the publications page of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). You will find endless exciting tales about the near future. Stories of a high-tech world, in which humanity has “Built Back Greener” and enjoys prosperous existence in equilibrium with a revitalised natural world.

But perhaps fantasy is not your thing. Maybe you’d prefer something scary — a horror story to make your hair stand on end. Never fear — BEIS has you covered. As a fellow spookophile, I encourage you to scroll past the utopian titles, right to the bottom. Here we find the department’s “generation capacity” estimates.

Generation capacity is the amount of electricity our country can generate or import if supplied with sufficient fuel.

As with most horror stories, the setting will initially appear rosy. Aided by the world’s biggest offshore wind market, the amount of clean electricity the UK can generate is expected to soar ever upwards — hinting at a carbonless world just around the corner. Indeed, journals spanning from the Guardian to the Spectator have run glossy graphics to this effect.

@Martellino , Frogfall

I admit that I have not analyzed all the videos second by second or read the various articles as a lawyer would do

Read then as a scientist would, rather than a lawyer and you will understand the hundreds of hours (and years) of testing and exploration that Gordon and Whitehouse and colleagues have done.

Moreover, not only would it be much more convincing as already mentioned to demonstrate the effect, but verifying the electrodes in the air at a distance of millimeters-centimeters would allow to more efficiently identify their level of activity, or in other words to find more quickly which material or procedure to prepare it works best.

That is precisely what I am doing and will report on. Worth noting that a lot of experiemtns have used co-deposited Fe plating, and unless kept in a hydrogen environment it quickly corrodes and becomes useless- hence the tubes.

For Frogfall - this might answer an earlier query of yours - from my notes months ago referring to a co-deposited iron working electrode and a large aluminium block counter-electrode. I had forgotten about it.

If you like a puzzle, how about this? An isolated working electrode connected to earth shows zero voltage. A similarly isolated counter-electrode connected to earth also shows no voltage (and this is a very good instrumentation earth being a large copper plate buried in wet soil and not part of the grid supply). Put the two electrodes together with an insulating spacer like nylon mesh and you get a voltage, small at first, but steadily rising, presumably as the gas -space between electrodes becomes ionised.

The electrolyte of choice for my 'serious' experiments is potassium carbonate since it is not too agressive- pick the wrong thing and your cathode can dissolve. Make a saturated carbonate solution at room temperature, then dilute to around 25% with distilled water. Aim to get your electrode spacing so that you are over 2V and drawing about 1W. You should see a lot of hydrogen bubbles. The carbon rod anodes I am using are 12mm in diameter and 12cms long. By adjusting how much of the anode is submerged you have a second way to control the voltage/current if you don't have a controllable psu to hand.

ETA- 48 hours in the tank, rinse, pat dry with a paper towel, dry in an oven at around 60 for 1 hour max.

A review of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (Cold Fusion) with Dr. Edmund Storms
    In this episode I start my investigation into the Cold Fusion controversy. In 1989 Pons & Fleischmann announced in a hastily convened press conference, the…
    www.podbean.com

A review of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (Cold Fusion) with Dr. Edmund Storms

In this episode I start my investigation into the Cold Fusion controversy. In 1989 Pons & Fleischmann announced in a hastily convened press conference, the discovery of a new clean energy source that would revolutionize power grids and save humanity from climate change. They had measured the production of excess heat and neutrons in a room temperature electrolytic reaction using heavy water and a palladium cathode. It shortly became evident that their claims were not entirely correct. After many attempts it was discovered that their experiment could not be replicated and mainstream science dismissed Cold Fusion as a pathological science. Despite this lack of acceptance, many have continued to try to replicate their work and strike it rich. Now after more than 30 years, a pattern of unexplained anomalous results has emerged from the rubble. Is there something to the newly renamed Low Energy Nuclear Reactions field? I’m interviewing an expert who has been involved in reviewing the work in this field since the very beginning.

Edmund Storms obtained a Ph.D. in radiochemistry from Washington University (St. Louis) and is retired from the Los Alamos National Laboratory after thirty-four years of service. His work involved basic research in the field of high temperature chemistry as applied to materials used in nuclear power and propulsion reactors. He presently lives in Santa Fe where he is investigating the "cold fusion" effect in his own laboratory. An authority in the field he has published 2 books, over 100 papers and four complete scientific reviews of the field over the years. In May 1993, he was invited to testify before a congressional committee about the "cold fusion" effect. In 1998, Wired magazine honored him as one of the 25 people in the US who is making a significant contribution to new ideas. He was awarded the Preparata Medal by the International Society of Condensed Matter Nuclear Science and honored as Distinguished Scientist by University of Missouri. His large collection of literature about LENR was used to create the website http://www.LENR.org where information about the phenomenon is available. His recent work has focused on understanding LENR and making the effect reproducible.

Discussed here Which ICCF24 presentation is most likely to sway a skeptic? - Page 16 - General LENR Talks - LENR Forum (lenr-forum.com)

The nickel mesh is actually the type made for battery electrodes, Aluminium sheet makes a good counter electrode, foil is difficult to handle. That's about it.

ETA- I used a carbon rod anode- hence no metal on metal co-dep.

And as I wrote above, the spillover was a thrown away hypothesis, replaceable with any other that foresees errors caused by indirect contact between the electrodes, and easily falsifiable with a 5-minute test similar to that of Alan Smith photographed a few messages above.

No, sorry but I am not at all convinced by the explanation that all this was expected. Jed Rothwell was not even aware that the LEC effect could be observed without a closed cell. How many experiments have NOT been done on this by other people (maybe even the original authors) because preparing a closed cell "takes time", understandably?

It's only a 5 minute test if you have everything to hand. Also, @Jed Rothwell is not an experimenter or a scientist. He is a science communicator and the creator and keeper of the LENR-canr library of papers and a respected member of this forum and the LENR world at large. So you should forgive him for being a little behind the curve at times,

Don't get too stuck on theory. It is little more than an excuse to encourage experimenters to verify with simpler and clearer configurations that the LEC really works as originally hypothesized, which surprisingly has not yet been done conclusively. The crosstalk between the electrodes could be of any other nature and my position on this would be the same.

I think you are the one who is stuck on an unlikely and untenable hypothesis, unlikely because it contradicts everything science and engineering has told us about dielectrics. But perhaps one of us might do this soon.