Posts by Alan Fletcher

Andrea Rossi
    January 17, 2018 at 2:33 AM

Mats Lewan:

Thank you for the information,

Warm Regards,

A.R.

The center-line is 4 inches above the base. The inlet/outlet tubes are 5 inches below/above that. My pressure guage doesn't work at these pressures, so the 1/2 inch tubes can connect directly without T's or L's

I'm working with a 6 foot (72 inch) wire-frame shelf (with 1" shelf-height increments). I'd like to set the middle-shelf for the pump, and then adjust the buckets around that (One sits on the scale -- which reads +- so doesn't matter whether it's inlet or outlet).

Steam quality / Krivit

http://lenr.qumbu.com/rossi_ec…410H.php#krivitexperiment

The one thing we didn't see in the Krivit video was the measurement of the flow rate (volume or mass vs time). I don't know why Krivit didn't ask to see the inlet tank weighed or measured by volume. (Easy : select a mark on the tank, fill it to that level. Watch it for N seconds, refill and see how much water it took).

Rossi refers to the pump as a "peristaltic" pump, but it's actually a diaphragm pump similar to the prominent. (Discussed elsewhere ... I don't have time to look it up). There were criticisms in earlier tests that although Levi et al measured the output by volume, this number was higher than the spec. But the pump has the same characteristic as the prominent : it over-delivers at low outlet pressure.

Although "NASA" pointed out that steam quality at 100.1C COULD have been between 0% and 100% the fact of the matter is that NO fluid water was coming out of the hose (any liquid water would be in the form of water drops)

Either:

a) This ecat is a Tube boiler, with a dry-out point of 80% quality

b) This ecat is a kettle boiler, with about 95% quality.

De-rate Rossi's calculation by 50% steam quality and you still have COP = 2.6

I wont have any time for a couple of weeks. (I've left my pole up, but I'll move back to the covered porch).

I have max 10 feet (floor to ceiling) .

Plan A : try and replicate the heights of the tank, pumps and Frankies (A to D, top-to-bottom) . Not sure I can replicate the top big frankie A in the space available. Do we have the dimensions : top-of-tank to pump-center, pump-center to BF inlet for each BF?

Plan B : explore positive inlet pressure.

I don't think a 7-foot head is enough positive pressure .. maybe 0.2 bar with the pump near the floor and the inlet tank

I can get a garden hose there (as long as it's not a hard freeze), but I think that's too uncontrollable as a pressure source. To explore significant positive-pressure I think I'd need a pump. Specifications? 125 l/hr? We could reduce the stroke-frequency from 180 to ... 90?

Great work on the manual/stop!

Right now the flow/pressure chart is way below Prominent's data at 0.5 bar -- but they are most likely creating the back pressure with a regulator valve.

In the present setup the back pressure across the pump is made up of:

a) suction height

b) outlet height

c) fluid resistance in the pipe (about 25 feet ... I'll measure it exactly).

I think we can get some information on c) by progressively shortening the output pipe and running the curves as before. (say height 20,15,10,5 feet pipe length 25,20,15,10) and then a final measurement with 1 foot of pipe. (I could do all this with the pipe horizontal, but I think the curve will show the quality of the readings).

I'll scout for a better clock (going to San Francisco over Christmas).

Here are my results for the Dec 13 run.

pgl-40-results-06.jpg

Spreadsheet at : lenr-pgl-40-results

The weakest link in my setup is the tiny little count-down timer I'm using : in the dark it's very easy to misread the numbers, so I recommend looking at the "Flow-from-N" using the time calculated from the Pump counter * 1/180 minutes.

H+/B+ are the outlet heights/bars Htot/Btot add the suction height to get the total pressure across the pump.

Some data from the front panel

I ran a video and read the frame-times for led-changes.

"60/180" is the expected period for 180 cycles per minute.

Then I took 5 photos at each speed setting, and recorded how many were "ON".

Off On Period 60/180
    Secs 0.1003 0.2298 0.3347 0.3333
    On/off ratio 0.2996 0.6865
    Shutter 1/Secs Shutter T # ON/5 shots
    50 0.020 4
    80 0.013 5
    100 0.010 3
    200 0.005 3
    400 0.003 5

Even at the lowest expected speed (1/50 = 0.02 sec) the shutter time is a short fraction of the "off" time 0.10 secs, so it should have caught some pumps (about 30%) with the LED off.

Tentative conclusion : EITHER

The pumps were in Manual/Stop

OR : EDIT

The pumps were not free-running, but pulsed from a common control signal.

All the control inputs are on the front panel. Nothing is connected.

You've not been following. I'm testing from -0.1 to 0.5 bar, with a 20-foot pole which I swing from vertical to horizontal. (this forum software doesn't seem to read the exif orientation from my android cell phone). Edit: click on the link below the pic to see it on my site.

20171213_182142.jpg

Phew! The things I do for science. Just got in from my 22 runs-in-the dark, and freezing my butt off. (Down to 45F). Also got me (AND all the equipment, power lines : is on a ground-fault circuit) drenched by starting the pole in the full-upright position.

Be a couple of days before I have time to put the data in the spreadsheet.

The last run ... with the outlet way below the pump center had an INCREASE in the pump count. Re-ran it and got wildly different results (389 to 524). Too dark to see what was happening in the pipe, so I'll try tomorrow morning (after the frost melts!)

Dang! I put all my videos on a brand-new Lexar thumb drive ... and it's dead!

Setting up ... trying to get a good seal, take 3.

But :

a) When in manual/stop the green light IS full on.
    b) The "p" of "Stop" is directly above the "M" of "Manual"

c) When running there is nothing on the top bar (Stop) <== edit 1

I set up my V3 "head" : almost-straight copper pipe.

Unfortunately the interface between my plastic pipe and copper pipe didn't hold.

I think because it was too cold (40F/10C : my first runs were 80F!) for the plastic to seat with the copper. I'm out of time for today, but if the weather's good on Friday I'll put a hair-drier on it and try again.

The test of the 800 ohm is between 2:36:30 and 2:50:00

Fulvio says the total voltage across the system is about 12V (2:42:20) and Mats says the voltage across the 1 ohm is "between 10 and 20mv". (But the waveform is a spiky sawtooth). As M.Y. said, 15mv and 12V is about right.

Most of their talk was inaudible to me.

But then Fulvio said they have "about 12V" to play with in terms of generating the (sine+sine) signal. We saw 300mV across the 1 ohm, but have NO idea what was across the Qx.

Concerning using arbitrary formulae in Spice, it is my understanding that in Spice, being based on nodal analysis, this is not possible.

I used LTSpice (free .. with built-in schematic editor), which DOES allow user-defined functions. (eg see https://www.ece.uic.edu/~vahe/…troduction_to_LTspice.pdf page 16).

.FUNC -- User Defined Function

Syntax: .func <name>([args]) {<expression>}

Example: .func Pythag(x,y) {sqrt(x*x+y*y)}

I've seen examples with at least one IF in the expression, but can't find it in the documentation.

Edit2 : .func GDS(Vgs,Vds) {IF Vgs<=vth, 0.1F, IF(CTRL(Vds,Vgs)>=0,((W*KP/L)*(Vgs-vth-Vds)),(((W*KP)/(2*L))*(Vgs-vth)*(vgs-vth)*lambda)}

I think it's IF condition,true_expression,false_expression ... where IF's can be nested.

I can load and step through the "google drive" version (my video program stuck at 100% cpu for the original) , so I'll find a point where the Qx is in operation, and double check the duty cycle.

I know that for "Fourier" frequencies (f0=DC, f1, 2*f1 ...) the equivalent RMS for voltage (terms Vi) is:

sqrt( Vo^2 + V1^2/2 + V2^2/2 ...)

Does this apply to arbitrary frequencies? (I've forgotten too much math to integrate the formulae).

https://masteringelectronicsde…ne-wave-with-a-dc-offset/