milton Member
  • Member since Jun 7th 2016

Posts by milton

Do you know any source for potassium doped iron oxide catalysts?
    I understand from A Condensed Excited (Rydberg) Matter: Perspective and Applications that they are designed for styrene production, and probably commercially available.

Thanks, the reason I am asking is that Holmlid/Norront seem to focus on muon-induced fusion in their papers and on their website (MK1) and suggest that capturing energy from the annihilation-like process requires many more years of R&D.

But if we take their statements at face value, for example

"The efficiency from mass (of two baryons) to useful energy is 46% (contrary to 0.3% for T + D fusion)"

"Neutrons are not formed or ejected so this is an aneutronic process"

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/…921004080?via%3Dihub#bib1

...it sounds like a crude, ineffecient, low-tech energy capturing method like a light-water bath could be good enough...

If my understanding of the patent system is correct, one can generally not patent stuff that is in the public domain ("prior art"). Is Holmlid/Norront's abandoned patent now considered prior art, creating a hurdle for someone else to patent this in the future?

I am reading up on the history of LENR, slowly going through the papers at LENR-CANR step by step.

A question for those of you with longer background — If we disregard the size of the output and only focus on the repeatability rate,

which experiments do you know of that reported a high repeatability rate?

In the photos of the R20 reactor, it looks like the electrical feedthrough has a single conductor, is that correct?
    I assume then the heater was powered with DC and the other heater wire was grounded to the steel reactor?

Mizuno’s tests – Inconsistencies in the spreadsheets of the 120 W runs of May 2016

I hope, the following jpeg better explains the serious inconsistencies which are present in the spreadsheets of the May 2016 tests:

What do you say about Ascoli's first point JedRothwell (that there is a discrepancy between the values of V and I in the control vs. the active runs for the 120 W tests)?

We can see that Ascoli is correct in the literal sense (the spreadsheets are online and the values differs as he says), but maybe it doesn’t matter, or there is some reason for them to differ? What is your standpoint here?

Good observation. The list of variables that might influence the reaction is of course long, but this one (soaking in tap water vs. DI water) is at least straightforward to test for replicators.

Another variable we previous discussed is the reactor chamber material. In the 2017 Mizuno paper it is specified as SS316, but it isn’t specified in the 2019 (R20) paper. I think it would be very valuable to get a confirmation of the type of steel used for the R20 reactor just to remove this from the list of unknown variables (if it turns out R20 was made of different steel than R19, that opens up a new set of questions...)

Interesting situation regarding the airspeed data.

Jed tells us the values are recorded from an anemometer.

Ascoli & THH shows us the values correlate so well with the power measurements that it seem unlikely that they represent measurements of another physical variable.

I believe Jed is honest. But Ascoli & THH's argument is strong. I mean, in my experience it's often hard to make two measurements of the same physical variable give such closely correlated results. Real world data is messy.

In the end this is a "storm in a teacup" – it doesn't change the fact that the measured excess heat is very interesting. And I hope the examination and debate continues.

Can you come up with any conceivable reason why Mizuno would do this with such a weird, unphysical equation, representing nothing in the real world? No, of course you can't.

Again, from Mizuno’s 2017 article (http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTpreprintob.pdf):

The wind velocity at the flow meter was estimated by semi empirical Eq. (5).

V = A exp(-Wb/w) + B; (5)

where A is a constant, -3.7; B = 4; w = 1.375; Wb is the blower input (W);

There is no secrecy.

The heater runs along the central axis.

The heater Jed stated that Mizuno uses is 2 meters long. We don't know how it is mounted (e.g. is the whole length inside the reactor...? any turns? etc).

So I agree there is no "secrecy" around the heater, but some more info around how it is mounted would be good to be able to replicate it.