oldguy Member
  • Member since Oct 1st 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by oldguy

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41594-020-0469-6Published: 13 July 2020published in Nature Structural and Molecular Biology Neutralizing nanobodies bind SARS-CoV-2 spike RBD and block interaction with ACE2Llamas, camels and alpacas naturally produce quantities of small antibodies with a simpler structure, that can be turned into nanobodies. The team engineered their new nanobodies using a collection of antibodies taken from llama blood cells. They have shown that the nanobodies bind tightly to the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, blocking it from entering human cells and stopping infection.

secluded place in the country..

I live very secluded but no orange trees.

I typically don't see anyone but the Mrs. - others perhaps to the store once ever 2 or 3 weeks.

Don't worry- I won't take rat poison.

but do take vit D and Zn.

Robert B.... you might be the person to ask.

With all the deaths in nursing homes and talk about clotting..

is there data on death rates comparing people on blood thinners compared to those not on thinners?

I would expect that that data would be obtainable for those who know how to look for it.

notices that reporting a disease is not the same as tracking contacts.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02…al-quarantine-experts-say

Fact Check: A Blanket National Quarantine Is Likely Not Legal

Polly J. Price, a professor of law and public health at Emory University, tells NPR: "If you're talking about quarantine in terms of encouraging people to stay home or closing businesses — and that's what public health folks talk about as social distancing measures, really — I think from the White House that can be advisory only and that those are exclusively state powers."

Moss, a Washington attorney specializing in national security issues.

"It is unclear, absent congressional approval or every state in the union collectively agreeing to it, how any president would have the authority to impose a federal or national quarantine," Moss says. ..

Moss, a Washington attorney specializing in national security issues.

"It is unclear, absent congressional approval or every state in the union collectively agreeing to it, how any president would have the authority to impose a federal or national quarantine," Moss says.

most legal attorneys say states can but presidents cannot.....

-------

https://www.americanbar.org/ne…gal-approach-to-pandemic/

Under the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment and U.S. Supreme Court decisions over nearly 200 years, state governments have the primary authority to control the spread of dangerous diseases within their jurisdictions. The 10th Amendment, which gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government, allows them the authority to take public health emergency actions, such as setting quarantines and business restrictions.

While some say such a centralized federal response would be more effective and needed, any executive order to that effect would be unprecedented and would likely lead to a court challenge on constitutional grounds.

……………………..

https://www.factcheck.org/2020…er-to-open-up-the-states/

……………..

sure looks like a president cannot force state quarantine nor the opening from lockdowns. The CDC may be able to (most states allow that by their state laws) but not the president.

exactly, As I said It is the state that mandates masks, quarantines, tracking.etc. To my knowledge (limited as it is) the Federal government does not have the right to impose those.

Can you point to any law that says the states cannot (I.e. are "prevented from") impose quarantines, tracking, or masks unless the Federal government orders them to?

And can you point to any law that allows the Federal Government to impose local quarentines? It can close national boarders and travel but not inner state travel and interstate commerce in a general way (non specific items).

But you are not correct that Trump is "preventing" tracking or quarantines. And as I said, perhaps "hindering" but not "preventing" as you continue to claim. Tracking and quarantines are happening therefore not "prevented".

How can you claim that tracking is prevented and in the same post say it is happening in Alaska?

Other steps include warning people who have been exposed, recommending quarantine, and providing safe quarantine for people who live in crowded houses, for example. We do have testing, but nowhere near enough for our caseload

so you are claiming he "prevented" those steps. So you therefore say has been no warning to those expose (sure sees like people are getting results of test and it sure seems like he warned people daily for a while. Again, things like quarantine is a state item not a national item. I personally know of people that were quarantined and states that mandate 14 day quarantines when entering. I do not see that they were "prevented" as you claim. again show your sources that things like quarantines are "prevented".

as someone who tries to do scientific editing of others, you should know the meaning of such words that you select to use like "prevented". I think you might really mean "hindered" and not what you claim here.

It wasn't his fault. He tried to establish tracking and other steps, but Trump and others prevented it.

Please give your authoritative sources for where Trump prevented tracking and testing.

I see no proof of that anywhere.

Those things are set by the medical people within states who take recommendations and direction from people like Dr. Fauci and the CDC and not the president. Example: States and people like NY governor Cuomo banned the use of HCQ - if it was under presidential control it is likely it would be allowed.

I think you have been drinking the Kool-Aid on the blame game.

I have seen little other than press talking by Fauci. No call to research in the first months when needed most, no visits to state legislatures to speed implementation of meds and procedure. And planting early misdirection with his masks are not to be worn by the public.

PS. If Trump prevented tracking and testing then why do we have any at all. Therefore, I think you are wrong about him preventing tracking and testing.

https://www.jta.org/2020/07/08…unity-could-they-be-right

Brooklyn’s Hasidic Jews are acting like they have herd immunity. Could they be right?

Most cases came in the days leading up to and on the Jewish holiday of Purim, March 9 and 10. That was before the mayor and governor shut down schools and businesses.

Surveys and tests suggest as many as 70% of the community has had COVID-19 and recovered. And amid a near total return to normal behavior,

second wave? for the US I would expect that IF it happens it would be around Dec.

waves seasonality

https://www.contagionlive.com/…ghly-seasonal-study-finds

4 Known Human Coronaviruses Are Highly Seasonal, Study Find

All 4 of those were found to be highly seasonal. ….

“Combined over the 8 years, the number of identifications for each virus increased in December, peaked in January or February, and began to decrease in March,” ….

https://jamanetwork.com/journa…kopen/fullarticle/2767010

Temperature, Humidity, and Latitude Analysis to Estimate Potential Spread and Seasonality of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

The 8 cities with substantial community spread as of March 10, 2020, were located on a narrow band, roughly on the 30° N to 50° N corridor...

The distribution of the substantial community outbreaks of COVID-19 along restricted latitude, temperature, and humidity measurements were consistent with the behavior of a seasonal respiratory virus. The association between temperature and humidity in the cities affected by COVID-19 deserves special attention. There is a similarity in the measures of mean temperature (ie, 5-11 °C) and RH (ie, 44%-84%) in the affected cities and known laboratory conditions that are conducive to coronavirus survival (4 °C and 20%-80% RH)