DAK Member
  • Member since Nov 15th 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by DAK

KS explanation is only partly correct. It is not the appearance of new elements that is an issue it is the change in the isotopic ratio of elements - especially the transition metals. This is difficult to occur chemically. Lighter elements can be sequestered, as BH mentioned, but the heavier elements cannot. One problem with the data of AP is that the ion intensity may be too weak for accurate results. It is difficult to tell from ratios.

It is very difficult from the video to tell what is happening as everything is saturated. Would a neutral density filter help i.e. what do you see visually with welders goggles? I cannot tell if the plasma is present or not. I agree that turning off current should shut down a plasma immediately except if the temperature is high enough. In a flame, you create charged particles as it is the basis of a flame ionization detector. You will also have charged species due to photoionization of the silver clusters. The thermal ionization would not stop immediately but the photoionization should.

In general the data where it needs reactivation because the system cools is inconsistent with a plasma being maintained and energy being produced continuously. What happen to an AM radio near this system? A plasma will emit copious RF.

When ignition is off, is no power going into the cell? Why is ignition turned on later in the video?
    It is difficult to understand what is being displayed. Is the plasma the white light or the orange streamer?

Let me ask it a different way. Why does a "catalytic" system (in quotes as I do not believe yet that it is catalytic) have an advantage of electrolysis for hydrogen generation? It appears to me that this is just reaction of a reactive metal with water to generate hydrogen (we can discuss mechanisms later). On the surface this system is messier and uses-up the reactive metal producing solid waste. So I am not sure of the advantage.

It reminded me of a concept that I had in the 70's to use waste aluminium cans plus acid to generate hydrogen to run cars (cans were not recycled then and we had a gas "crisis". Base would have been better than acid). Possible but completely unworkable because of recycling the solid waste and the amount of energy consumed. BTW: People are still pushing this concept (of metals as energy carriers) but it cannot be practical except under very limited scenarios where performance greatly overrides cost.

Now if it produces more energy than chemical it could be connected to LENR by a number of common features and thus of interest rather than a way to make hydrogen.

I unfortunately do not have access to Facebook, but if I remember this was the data presented at ICCF19. The results were not replicated. If samples are still available, other analysis can be done.
    Other samples were analyzed (not sure of the origin) and they showed nothing.
    Although ICP-MS was apparently done in this case, in other samples SIMS was used. SIMS has a number of artifacts that make isotopic analysis difficult.

ICP-MS in other institutions were preformed on additional samples obtained from AP and these were normal ratios. Why or if these unusual ratios were not confirmed by reanalyze escapes me. It was my understanding that he provided samples from other runs and not this one. As you mentioned, isotopic changes are definitive of something non-chemical happening (with appropriate cautions, of course). The sample size <10 mg (actually less than 10 ug but you need enough to play) so a typical run can allow for many samples.

BTW: one needs to be very, very careful on Li ratios (basically all light ions) by ICP-MS. Artifacts abound.

Sorry. I misinterpreted lower to be higher resolution i.e. a lower number of nanometers rather than lower resolution. These terms are ambiguous to me. Generally lower limits means better resolution as you generally care about seeing smaller things rather than bigger. An example is lower limits of detection for some analyte to mean smaller amounts. Some people say higher limits of detection to mean seeing smaller quantities. I guess the ambiguity is to what the term lower modifies - limits or detection?

I am confused as to why anyone believes that there is excess heat present.

For example:
    At equilibrium, the tube warms 13K
    It has a weight of 93.5g and a specific heat of 0.880 (they use too high a number)
    The inner filling of copper was 1.6225 and specific heat of 0.385
    NdFe was 2.3713 with a specific heat of 0.214
    multiplying all this out:
    13*(2.3713*0.214+1.6225*0.385+93.5*0.880) = 1084J

From the DSC calculation:
    436.8J/g (conservatively) * 2.3713g =1040J

They are equal so it is what is expected.

They are actually triple counting the heat as the heat to melt the copper and raise the alumina tube is
    generated by the chemistry and just redistributed.

An example is heating an iron rod with say 400J of energy and then plunging the hot rod into a cup of tea.
    The tea will boil but you only count the end points at equilibrium not the heat needed to heat the rod to temp X nor even melt it (at
    least to a first approximation).