THHuxleynew Verified User
  • Member since Jan 18th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by THHuxleynew

Only idiots can believe that they can derive time from any other structure as time in reality never exists and just is an approximation for identical and repeating events. Spooky action at distance is definitely outside QM & GER and needs a higher dimensional approach for space.

I'm not sure what is your content here, other than to insult people, and agree with me?

Only idiots can believe that they can derive time from any other structure as time in reality never exists

That is not a helpful comment. If you reckon spacetime (and causality) derives from quantum entanglement then certainly time is an approximation and "it does not really exist" but it is nevertheless an incredibly useful approximation. Distinguishing between time and space, which is similar, is silly since

the two are provably strongly related. And spacetime can provably in quite a number of cases be derived from quantum entanglement (above reference).

Quantum entanglement is the basis of QM and GR. Call it outside if you like. And it needs a higher dimensional approach

So you are agreeing that QM (the most fundamental part of which is QE) is fundamental? Glad to hear that.

So this is what?

Coincidence?

https://www.annualreviews.org/…-conmatphys-033117-054219

This is a vixra published paper not surprisingly because it has all the intellectual rigor of Brexiteer arguments in the UK pre-referendum.

And it has equally as strong an emotional appeal - hence will convince many.

It proceeds through:

1) Viewing theoretically necessary higher order corrections as fudge factors.

Absurd when they come from the theory and were predicted from the start - just not calculated until needed. That "not calculated till needed" aspect is seen as evidence of fraud (yes, fraud - ridiculous and far-fetched) by the author. However given the difficulty of any such calculations it is only what you would expect. Who would spend two years full time work just to make a correction in a value that is expected to be well within experimental error and therefore untestable?

2) Arguing that so many Feynman diagrams seem over-complex.

Agreed, and in the recent discovery of the amplitudehedron we have found must faster techniques to calculate the exact same answer from FDs. That is still not understood, and maybe when it is some deeper mathermatical structure will emerge that makes much of the current calculation horriblemess go away. Where I don't agree, and the amplitudehedron bears this out, is that there is therefore anything wrong with the theory. Why no mention in this paper of that? It is new research centrally relevant to any argument based on FD complexity.

3) Criticising modern QED based on its early history.

Very few scientific theories emerge in correct entirety at first, they proceed through muddle, errors that almost work, argument.

4) Criticising QED based on its relationship to QM

That is just dinosaur-like behaviour. Sure, QM is counter-intuitive. But as we understand it more, so we see that the counterintuitive yet consistent and very beautiful elements underlie all of physics as we know it. That spacetime and GR can be derived from quantum entanglement is the great scientific discovery we are currently living through. In any case, philosophically, requiring physics to be intuitive is unjustified. Why should all scales of interaction look like our evolutionary relevant spatial interactions with a macroscopic environment? Of course they need not. GR shows they do not at large scale, QM shows they do not at small scale.

5) Criticising QM based on a dissatisfaction with renormalisation

This is something I can agree with. Renormalisation at the level of ignoring infinities "just because it works" is highly unsatisfactory. But for a long time now we have a better understanding of renormalisation which is mathematically rigorous.

Great short pop link which captures the essense of this: as mathematiciens have understood for 100 years in analysis, it is all about taking limits in a well founded way. Possible, but rigor requires care and proper maths.

https://www.volkerschatz.com/science/renorm.html

The proper mathematical treatment of renormalisation as regularisation was not formulated till 1995 (Weinburg).

The big no-no about Consa's paper is the lack of a proper literature review beyond 1970. If he had done this he would at least mention regularisation, as a way to understand fully renormalisation, spacetime generation from QM as evidence that however counter-intiuitive QM might be, it is fundamental to the universe, etc, etc.

The sad fact is that those mavericks who look back to old semi-classical models of physics because they reject modern physics (normally from a visceral dislike of QM and a het of the complexity of QED calculations) selectively cite evidence from 1970 onwards, omitting the stuff that backs these theories and misrepresenting other things (like the timing of higher order calculations).

I get pretty annoyed at it. When Consa calls large numbers of other scientists fraudulent he is behaving very badly. When he publishes popular summaries like this he is being intellectually dishonest, and showing poor scholarship, at the very least.

He is also putting young minds off thinking about the incredibly exciting developments now happening in theoretical physics, all based on QM and the SM. It is these things, unifying QM and GR, that have the capability, eventually, of giving us much better understanding of all the SM symmetries and results, with a better underlying model.

What is a shame, is throwing away half of the stuff that works, and also that has shown itself capable of making fundamental predictions, because you either cannot be bothered to read, or do not understand, the last 30 years of physics.

Why are people talking like Rossi has employees who could even "see things", and that the SKL even exists? There is no evidence of anything. Alan, if you have any evidence of a single person working for Rossi, time to show the evidence or admit you were scammed. No more being an enabler of this scammer.

I believe for quite some period that Fulvio Fabiani was working under Rossi's direction. I doubt the relationship was that of employee - Fulvio seemed to be paid through Rossi's network of shell companies via contracts.

So I agree there is no evidence of anything real, and that Rossi's talk of "team" has never been true: when he was asked this during discovery I believe he said he had no-one working for him.

Nevertheless there have been, maybe still are, people like Fulvio funded by Rossi and doing work he wants. Rossi has quite a lot of money still from previous unwise investors.

rather bad radio news this morning... more or less a lock down of northern italy - all of lombardia, milano, parts of veneto with venecia (red zone). According to news no one is allowed in or out. 10 million people are locked up. 1/6 of total population. Measures have been leaked too early and people tried to escape to southern, not so affected parts, of italy. Over 5800 infections in italy!

Arguably, the fact that western countries are willing to implement major lock-downs is positive for the overall progression of the epidemic this year, and we can hope next year to have a vaccine.

There is still a lot we don't understand about transmission in Western countries with population exercising good hygiene and selective closures and lock-downs. I think good hygiene might be achievable in UK, not so sure it will be in US where it seems half the population does not believe scientists, and political leaderships just says no-one should worry.

As said: All done by PCR no real antibody test only streamlined for most important RNA pieces.

A real antibody test would need no PCR, just a ligand that contacts to DNA/RNA and can be read out either optically or by a simple chemical process.

May be its again the simplifying English when people mix-up "anti-body test" what in German would be one word and in English also just means testing for antibody...

The test that is being used is a non-specific antibody test showing recent recovery from an infection generating new antibodies. That is not specific to COVID-19 but can be used to improve reliability of nucleic acid COVID-19 testing. It is not much good for epidemiological work, and AFAIK not used for that purpose in China.

What we need for epidemiological work is a test that specifically detects COVID-19 antibodies, which would determine accurately what percentage of the population had ever been infected. I'm not sure whether the Singapore preliminary tests are that: but if not it will no doubt happen eventually. The point is that such a test is irrelevant to containment, but essential for any accurate estimate of CFR.

I trust there will be many here that do not believe this excerpt from their web site - the best I could find - indicates that have calorimetry measuring nuclear levels (or any levels) of excess energy:

The video, show a 2 hour history of the energetics of the chamber. The Bolometer measures the total electromagnetic output from 200nm to 6,000nm. The Thermocouple measures the chamber wall temperature. The Infrared camera is looking only at the anode. The vertical axis has been scaled to put al three on the same plot. The important part starts at the red arrow. At this point we are running at 7% of the input power needed to bring the entire chamber to the maximum safe working temperature, yet all three metrics for output energy went up to their maximum safe levels and the experiment needed to be terminated. This 7% is extremely well known, from several years of measuring the input power, the chamber temperature, and the cooling system surrounding the chamber. This 7% is also in complete agreement with CFD analysis for the input energy needed to reach max critical temperature. The time leading up this point had several runs with the max allowable input power as can be seen by all three sensors going up to the maximum safe levels for the chamber. The point at the red arrow was a lower power run with new conditions inside the chamber. All three metrics quickly rising to their max safe levels is clear evidence of excess energy production.

At the risk of stating the obvious:

(1) If they have even a single working prototype with clear nuclear levels of energy generation that can be black box third party tested, using 3rd party chosen calorimetry, then they will find it easy to get very large funding and the LENR energy age is in sight.

(2) If they do not have that, PR that quotes speculative and not experimentally validated new physics, and talks about what they are working towards, is very premature.

And, though it will be hated here, I'd bet on short odds their current position is (2) not (1). That is because nowhere do they say that they have this demonstration.

They claim a whole load of interesting plasma discharge experimental results: uncontentious and believable.

They claim, with no direct experimental evidence, and no comprehensively reviewed theoretical evidence, new physics that might result in high output power generation.

We have heard this before many times.

I really wish that I was wrong here. I need real data that proves something new, not exciting light shows.

Yes, Rossi's eternal, "it works, no it does not" - refrain sort of is compatible with an inventor ever-hopeful but unable to see the tragedy that his stuff will never work.

It certainly seems to work for his followers, who do not worried by the 10 years of claimed reliably working devices, with the zero external evidence of any one ever having worked.

It is just as plausible that Rossi is entirely cynical and knows full well how he manipulates his followers.

I find this psychodrama, though increasingly sad, still compelling.

The Chinese know that. They are performing hundreds of thousands of antibody tests. This was described in the W.H.O. report and in Alyward's presentation. I suggest you review these before commenting.

Perhaps you could link something.

I very much doubt the Chinese are performing 100,000 antibody tests because they are still in process of being developed.

https://www.the-scientist.com/…ovid-19-diagnostics-67210

(March 3rd)

It seems some unis in Singapore think they have one.

TTH

There is the past but what about the

future.What wil you be looking for in

the ECatSKL third party testing that

convinces you that the SKL is for real?

You mean, what surprising change in practice would convince me of this? A reliable independent party with a reputation to lose and expertise in testing. For example NASA (Rossi refused), IH (after they up-skilled) - negative tests, any university department (not a lone scientist doing their own thing).

Or, what would convince me is any large company putting serious money into this with PR stating they had tested it themselves - which anyone who knew this stuff worked would of course want!

The thing is Sam, one or other of the above is what Rossi could have got 10 years ago if his stuff works. he does not need 5 sigma, does not need electrical output (weird idea). Does not need robotic factories. Just a genuine working black-box demo.

All Hospital Beds In The US Will Be Filled With Patients 'By About May 8th' Due To Coronavirus: Analysis

https://www.zerohedge.com/heal…ay-8th-according-analysis

........Let’s trust Italy’s numbers and assume that about 10% of cases are serious enough to require hospitalization. (Keep in mind that for many patients, hospitalization lasts for *weeks* — in other words, turnover will be *very* slow as beds fill with COVID19 patients).By this estimate, by about May 8th, all open hospital beds in the US will be filled. (This says nothing, of course, about whether these beds are suitable for isolation of patients with a highly infectious virus.)

If only 5% of cases require it, we can make it until ~May 14th. 2.5% gets us to May 20th...….

PS - zerohedge is a profoundly unreliable site. Don't use it for this sort of information.

The best estimates take account the fact that recently diagnosed cases may yet die (easy) and also the expected large number of undetected cases that have minimal symptoms and do not show up in the statistics.

CFR must incorporate the undetected cases. They are estimated using mathematical models for transmission and looking at detected case dynamics over time which can give clues. But the estimates are not reliable. for CFR that gives expected 1% but anything in range 0.5% - 4% possible - those figures are probably out of date now, and also are based on historic treatment. It may get better as we understand more about how to treat people. Or worse, if health systems become overwhelmed.

Try here for an explanation:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/5/2…irus-death-rate-explained

That does not make them 'unreliable' witnesses. I know lots of companies where people who were friendly to their superiors called a spade a spade when they saw something unbecoming. (I was one of those people.) I've heard nada from people surrounding Rossi.

You talk about 'genuine scientists' who were 'somehow' persuaded to sign a report. I thought these scientists did the experiment, so of course they would sign it.

You make three points, all rebuttable without effort:

That does not make them 'unreliable' witnesses.

The point is that they could very easily, as I've suggested, be unreliable in the sense that they will not question Rossi and will accept his word for things. That makes their evidence against the mountain of contrary evidence not what you conclude. You put them forward as the one thing that cannot be explained. This is a logical error: just because they are not proven unreliable, it does not mean they should be considered proven reliable.

I know lots of companies where people who were friendly to their superiors called a spade a spade when they saw something unbecoming. (I was one of those people.) I've heard nada from people surrounding Rossi.

You liken Rossi's close and carefully vetted set of supporters to workers in a company one of whom would smell a rat. Clearly this is a bad comparison. Rossi is a lone maverick with maybe 1 (?) close colleague who is also a long-time friend. As I've pointed out he ejects from the inner circle anyone who is not fully in line with his thinking. In a normal company there would be tribunals, etc, at such treatment of employees. But Rossi does not (AFAIK) have employees, except possibly Fabiano - even then I'm not sure technically that he ever was an employee. Someone else will know. Rossi has people who work with him.

You talk about 'genuine scientists' who were 'somehow' persuaded to sign a report. I thought these scientists did the experiment, so of course they would sign it.

Note P's point above. In addition, although the report says they did the experiment it is clear from evidence that later emerged that Rossi and team did the experiment. They were present some of the time. Nor am I sure how much involvement different ones of them had - it probably varied and certainly their expertise varied - I strongly suspect that they all viewed Levi as the IR thermography expert. Perhaps the expert on everything related to the input and output power measurement. Unfortunately. In this situation, where multiple people are signing for something that they trust others to have validated, persuaded to sign is quite apposite.

Even though there may be significant under-counting in China it is undeniable that:

(1) after initial cover-up China has been transparent and implemented all best practice science led recommendations to an extent that observers did not think possible, and in fact that alas no Western country is contemplating.

(2) the US has basically done the reverse. For many months political leaders were reassuring population that the virus would have no significant impact, contrary to scientific advice, because this is an anti-science administration with little competence and a tendency to see things as they want them to be rather than as they are.

So it is pretty likely, given that containment nowhere is working long-term, that the US will have a higher death rate as proportion of the population.

China is not out of this yet. Until we have a vaccine community transmission will rumble on and any relaxation of extreme vigilance will result in another outbreak.

I do not think so. The Chinese have done extensive testing of the population which appears to be healthy, and they have found very few infections. They have tested hundreds of thousands of people. If there were "hidden" cases they would know approximately how many there were, from such a large sample.

That is not exactly correct.

The problem with such testing is that you cannot catch people who have had the infection and overcome it.

When we have a reliable antibody-based test we will be able to do that and the epidemiological position will be much more certain. We do not at the moment have that.

Until then we have to use mathematical modelling extrapolating from information we have.

The big unknown with such epidemics is always what proportion of the population catch it and are never detected.

Evidence is truly in the eye of the beholder then. For instance when I hear of one of Rossi's coworkers testifying about the Quark X something like, "I've seen incredible things that you would not believe", I see that as evidence there is something very interesting going on, while others take it as evidence that his coworker is in on the scam. Go figure.

I'm figuring that your analysis here is leaving out a lot of relevant information:

• Is the co-worker subject to the type of rose-tinted "accept everything Rossi says is true" that is common amongst those Rossi holds tight?
    • Is the co-worker a reliable witness?
    • Is the co-worker considering the possibility of very impressive shows put on by Rossi that in fact do not mean what on the surface they might? Out of about 20 tests we have verifiable understanding of how nearly all of them have built in gotchas that deliver astonishing results due to some error. In most of these cases some external observers (even when technically knowledgable such as Jed) have been unable to see the error which in fact does exist, until it is pointed out by others.

You are also making a logical error; assuming Rossi's co-workers are in on a scam rather than believing Rossi's false assurances. There is no evidence, for example, that the Lugano report author's were "in on a scam".

That is all what a careful observer must consider, even leaving out the whole issue of Rossi's known ability to lie and the farcical lies around the Court case.

The point is: Rossi's co-workers are a selected group. we know anyone who does not accept all his fantasies gets shown the door pretty quickly. Given such a filter the large variety of human nature, and large numbers of people who might potentially want to be part of the greatest invention in human history and help save the world, makes it easy for Rossi to choose selectively unreliable witnesses. He has known form in this area with the Lugano team; genuine scientists who were somehow persuaded to sign that appallingly written, unprofessional, report in which there were technical (thermography) and non-technical (incorrect description of independence of experimental work from Rossi and team) errors.

Perhaps I am biassed. But I see you put too much weight on anecdotal evidence from people close to Rossi, when such people are by definition selected for unreliability in this one area of evaluating Rossi's work.

We can never be safe from bacterial and viral (possibly even fungal) diseases.

But the advances in understanding genetics and the immune system, together with CRISPR and other technologies, are transforming our ability to fight back. Humanity is in the middle of a medical revolution so we can be very hopeful about the future.

So....what do you think he is lying about, specifically? That there actually is a third party test, or that it's in Europe, or that he won't receive updates about how the test is going, etc?

That the device, and its testing, is anything other than a 10 year old farce.

And, to be fair, perhaps he is deluded. But the delusion theory was damaged by those various verifiable (non-deluded) lies he told that were exposed in court case discovery.