WMartin Member
  • Member since Feb 11th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by WMartin

In the US, civil trials require a preponderance of the evidence or in other words it is more likely than not that you are correct. Criminal trials require proof beyond a reasonable doubt or in other words proof that would convince any ordinary reasonable person that the person is guilty and that there are no reasonable explanations that the person is innocent.

Ever since reading the heat exchanger description in the Wong report, I wondered about the supposed exchanger. If I would have designed the heat exchanger, I would have bought a cheap used exchanger from an industrial plant. (Industrial plants often sell old exchangers for next to nothing because it costs a fair amount of money to dispose of them. This way they get a minor amount of money instead of spending money.) After refurbishing, I would have piped the steam as input and cooled it with water from the city, then sparged both lines back into the reactor supply. To me, this would have made the most efficient use of power. Not having an engineering background, I have a question about this setup. Given one megawatt of steam, would you still have to have a cooling tower in my setup or would the natural heat loss been enough to dissipate the heat safely?

In short, i would start doubting Rossi if the above described trend is broken. If he goes undercover, if he starts working on a different type of E-Cat and thereby is taking steps backward instead of forward, etc.

Isn't he already working on a different type of E-cat. As far as I can tell, the Quark-x is a totally different animal from the E-cat.

Many people here say that Darden had overwhelming evidence against Rossi, but when we talk about the settlement, this apology often comes out: "with a jury you never know how it can end, so Darden has chosen the least risky way". The two things can not coexist: if Darden really had such obvious evidence, he had nothing to fear from the jury. If he was afraid of them, he was not sure of his own reasons.

I am going to assume that Darden has lawsuit insurance in which case he would not be out any more money (for lawyers) if the trial continued. However, He would still suffer a loss of time and damage to his reputation if the lawsuit continued. In the case of time, potentially 3 years of time, likely at least a year. Darden likely took these into account and decided the settlement was worth taking.

As a non-scientist, this is why I do not believe Rossi has anything and I think it sums up the beliefs of the majority of non-scientists who investigate Rossi.

1) In 2011, Rossi started taking preorders for the 1 me e-cat and promised delivery in 2011.

Normal business people do not take preorders until they are in the final phase of engineering and have at least mastered the process with a medium scale product.

2) Rossi still to this date has not delivered any public products for commercial or private usage.

3) Rossi claims that he has achieved a 350 day reliability of 1mw with a cop of 80 plus.

4) Rossi is now totally dropping this proven product which could net him trillions of dollars (billions if he takes the easy way out and sells working knowledge to company in exchange for a 10% stake) in favor of a device that produces a fraction of 1% the power and is still in the laboratory testing phase.

Now I hope Rossi proves me wrong but as my grandfather said "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably...".

One last thought about the case that just occurred to me. If either party had lawsuit insurance, their out of pocket would have been limited to about $500,000.

On the future, I hope that this case did not affect the probability of future investments in LENR. As a non-scientist, I am not convinced that LENR is real but I think there is enough evidence that someone needs to channel their inner Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and find out for sure.

There is photographic evidence that there was no heat exchanger on the day the photo was taken. No photographic evidence can prove that the object was not there the day before.

You can not remove 700-800 feet of piping in one day. But let's say that you have successfully removed the exchanger before I get there and have even remove all traces of the exchanger from the mezzanine. You will still have evidence in the form of a blanked off six inch line leaving the e-cat system.

It was posted upthread why the mediation failed. It was an afterthought by both parties who had already dived headlong into a lawsuit and mediation was doomed to fail.

Put yourself in IH's shoes. Would you have accepted the offer posted on JONP if it had been made during mediation? If not, why not? If so, wouldn't it be in IH's best interest to get that supposed offer onto the docket?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that at the time mediation was ordered, neither side had any intention of negotiating in good faith. Negotiation depends on a common middle ground that is acceptable to both parties. I would posit that neither side at this time is willing to accept anything less than complete vindication.

My thoughts related to Johnson's testimony. Does he get on the stand and say he lied (which exposes him to professional jeopardy), say he didn't lie but based his statements on Rossi's assurances (throws Rossi under the bus), pleads the 5th (plays badly with jury) or asserts that someone told him but that statement is privileged (plays badly with jury). I don't see any good responses for him.

If someone wants to start a Quatloo betting pool on that. I'll bet on him saying it's privileged.

Really interesting ? Why don't you invite him in Court to testify under Oath ? So we will know if he is really certified :).

Wow! Really reaching with the trolling there. I have previously posted my general work history already to you in a previous post. The specific certification is NCCER certification. For new people, I worked for twenty years as an industrial pipefitter with most of it working for a company called Austin Industrial. I quit pipefitting in 2008 because of an industrial accident and became a teacher. Since it is summer and I am off work, I would be happy to be a paid consultant for IH or Rossi. However, I don't think they would waste money flying me to Miami when you could hire someone locally. I believe my posts themselves have shown my expertise in the practical side of pipefitting. If you want to challenge my credibility, do so with facts instead of innuendoes. If you don't want to debate facts return to your bridge.

Take a look at the serpentine pipe constructed and fitted within the JMP container. This is well within Rossi's capacity to do.

That serpentine pipe actually looked well done. Way to lazy to find the picture. I'll leave it to the engineers to argue whether it was appropriate or not. My comments have mostly been designed to show that the exchanger system would take longer than people think and is a pretty significant project. I have noticed that people focus only on the exchanger itself. The total system would likely be 800 to 1000 feet of piping, not just the 650 feet in the exchanger itself.

Rossi did say that the piping and materials were purchased from another supplier besides Home Depot, and that in addition some materials were purchased from Home Depot.

Curious as to what your estimate would be for tear down time? I'm assuming considerably less.

Just getting in there and rip it out with a torch or bandsaw: 3-4 days for three or four people. That does not include patching and fixing walls and floors.

Taking it out carefully for maximum saving of piping and fittings: Up to two weeks, Could be less but I would have to walk the site because I have no way of knowing how big of pieces I can remove and whether or not I can get a crane or forklift to assist me. Still does not include fixing the place back up afterwards.

Question for the engineers: What kind of pressure and the temperature would the steam be in these pipes? I ask because when I was in high school I worked installing sprinkler, drainage and sewer lines. And I am pretty sure that most lawn contractor folks are not qualified in high pressure/high temperature work. I also note that the maximum recommended temperature for Schedule 40 PVC is 130°F, well below the boiling point, and I doubt that there are many lawn contractor guys who use 6 inch schedule 40 steel pipe for lawn systems.

Speaking as a nationally certified pipefitter. low pressure pipe will use A105 carbon steel piping. High pressure would use A106 (seamless) carbon steel piping. You would not need stainless steel for a short duration system (3 years is short for industrial piping) unless your heat exchanger was exchanging heat with a corrosive chemical. The piping should be welded where possible because steam leaks will quickly cut steel. From what I saw in the deposition, I would assume that it is a low pressure system. Flanged connections should be with a metal gasket. Valves should be flanged gate valves. You could have a ball valve for quick stopping and starting of flow but it needs to be a specialty valve rated for steam usage and should have a gate valve backup. Contrary to what others have said, Home depot would not have any of this material but all of it except for any control valves in the system would readily available at an industrial pipe supply although there might be a couple of month lead time on the 180 degree elbows because they are rarely used and might have to be preordered. Although not exceptionally large, the total order would be two or more 40 foot trailer loads and need a significant staging area. Including prefabrication, the job would take more than a month for a crew of 10 working 40 hours a week*. If I were planning this job, I would have a crew of 1 supervisor, 1 expeditor, 1 laborer, 1 fork lift/crane operator (on this small of a job, frequently the supervisor will also perform this task), 2 pipefitters, 2 helpers, and 2 welders. The exchanger is listed as being encased in a wooden insulated box so you would need to hire 2 carpenters and 2 insulators after the piping is finished. Note that this does not make any sense because that would keep you from losing the heat that you built the exchanger for unless it is a weird design using enclosed forced ventilation. I find it impossible to believe that IH would not notice that kind of duct work and fan system along with the accompanying high velocity air flow. The system is supposed to be computer controlled but Rossi and the other 2 engineers could probably hook up any control systems.

*My estimate is based on minimal piping and does not include supporting because I have no idea what kind of supports are needed. A concrete floor could be supported in a day or two. Wooden flooring that needed extensive bracing could add weeks to the job.

*I believe the exchanger would take at least 2 months from start to finish with the crew described. My more than a month estimate involves everything going perfectly. As a rule of thumb, all jobs take about 50% longer to complete than a planners handbook indicates. Something always goes wrong in the job that slows you down. For example, there might not be enough clear space to get a 10 meter pipe in the space. This would suddenly increase the number of welds in the base exchanger piping by 50%.

*Proper piping outside the actual exchanger would probably add 1 to 2 weeks to the job.

IH Fanboy

Yes, a crew of 3 could probably dismantle the piping in less than a week but it would not be in any condition to reuse afterward. Rossi stated he dismantled the piping for reuse. It takes a lot longer than you think to salvage welded piping for reuse. It also takes a lot longer than you think to field weld 6 inch piping. On average, a pipefitter, helper, and welder is going to get 2 six inch field welds in a 10 hour day, 3 if they are lucky. Even in a fabrication shop setting, you are only going to make 4-5 6 inch welds in a 10 hour day.

OG - how much do you figure 100 meters of 6" diameter steam pipe weighs?

6" sch 40 piping weighs about 19 1/2 ponds per foot. 6 inch short radius (the lightest) 180 degree elbows are 32 plus pounds each. I calculated that the piping in the exchanger alone would weigh over 15000 pounds.

IHFB: you severely underestimate how hard it is to maneuver 30+ feet of piping with an elbow that weighs about 700 pounds in an enclosed place. While I could work it with comealongs and 2 helpers. It would take forever even if it would make through the one ladder and doorway shown in the deposition.a