woodworker Member
  • Member since May 26th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by woodworker

If IH were to get that supposed offer of Rossi into the docket and tell the judge they want to accept it, the $89M thing goes away. And has been posted upthread, the most likely scenario is both sides pay their own legal costs.

IH's lawyers should be all over this. But they aren't. The expression that comes to mind is a lawyer who bills his client twice when he sleeps with them.

Maybe the reason they aren't "all over this" is because it was bullshit.

As for payment of legal fees, that depends on the outcome of the case. Even if they split the baby, that doesn't mean there is no allocation of legal fees. Jones Day would assert that the majority of their fees related to defending the principal complaint, and they would show billings to support that. Assuming the agreement has a legal fees provision, that means that IH is entitled to making Rossi pay for that portion of the legal fees relating to the defense of the principal complaint, on which, if the jury splits the baby, IH prevailed. Any such amount would be offset by the amount that Rossi spent defending on the counter-claim, again which would have to be supported by the lawyers billing records (and believe me, all of the lawyers here are keeping detailed records, probably billing in increments of 1/4 hour or less) showing the amount of time spent on the cross-defense. Given that, IMHO, the majority of both sides' legal bills will relate to the principal complaint, IH could recover a significant portion of its legal fees. Also, as an FYI, this issue is not decided by the jury but by the judge.

But I suppose we should all defer to your extensive legal expertise and experience.

That makes no sense if they accept the supposed offer. Rossi claims he offered a refund in order to get his IP back. IH gets their money, Rossi gets his IP.

But where it does make sense is if you're an IH lawyer and you see this

supposedly bullshit claim by Rossi. If the judge knows about it, the legal proceedings end in 20 minutes and there goes your meal ticket.

Jones Day had estimated revenues of just under $2 billion in 2015. Do they like the legal fees from this case, yes. Would it break them or the partner involved if it had settled? I don't think so. "With $1,941,000,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 6th on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Jones Day ranked as the 10th highest grossing law firm in the world."

He thought IH would settle early. But once you start an expensive litigation, it takes on a life of its own and, just as with a bad hand in poker, you often keep chasing trying to buy the pot. Once IH filed the counter-claim, Rossi could have proposed a settlement with mutual walk-aways, and maybe IH would have taken that. I am not privy to any inside information, but if I were IH's counsel and Rossi had made a serious (show me the money) offer to refund in exchange for the IP and then settle, hell yes, I would have recommended IH take that offer. After all, it is the equivalent of them winning outright on everything in this action and Rossi losing on everything. But Rossi losing on everything is why I don't believe there was ever a serious offer from Rossi.

What scenarios are good for Rossi? Three: first, the jury splits the baby, I put close to even odds on that; second, hung jury, nobody can afford a retrial - essentially mutual walk-aways (also good odds on that); third, crazy jury that decides in Rossi's favor (IMHO, unlikely as hell) .

"Whether or not the alleged settlement offer is credible is immaterial. By allowing it into the docket as evidence, the judge can use his authority to make it a credible offer."

I don't know what planet you live on, but it is emphatically not the same one Federal judges inhabit. That is not their job, it is not their function, it is not within their purview and it would be grounds for an appeal, as well as a bitch-slapping by the appellate court. This is why I asked about your litigation/legal experience. THE JUDGE DOES NOT HAVE THAT AUTHORITY TO MAKE SOMETHING CREDIBLE.

Please explain how said "evidence" is relevant as to the issues of whether or not he satisfied the conditions precedent to IH's obligation to pay or his alleged fraud. His offer, if it happened, clearly occurred after the deadline for him to satisfy the conditions precedent, so how would it be relevant to the satisfaction thereof. Ditto on the fraud. His alleged offer may be relevant to a proposed settlement, but that is not an issue at trial. So please, explain the relevance of after occurring events to whether or not an event that was supposed to occur prior in time occurred (this issue has particular meaning to me as on my contracts final exam, I cited an after occurring fact in support of a prior condition precedent - my professor noted in the margins, "nice trick, time travel - do you pull rabbits out of hats too?).

As Mike D has pointed out repeatedly, something sought to be admitted as evidence must be relevant to the issues at hand. I don't think his offer (alleged) is. Additionally, as I have said, the touchstone for admissibility for me has always been does the probative value (the value of the proposed evidence in deciding a material issue) greater than its prejudicial value). As noted above, I don't believe the alleged offer has any relevance and therefore has no probative value. I think its prejudicial value is great: it would be used to sway the jury by showing that Rossi is a good guy. IMHO, the Judge won't allow it in.

As to my question about your litigation experience, I asked because you seem to often opine on what will/should occur and how the judge should rule on evidential issues and and how the lawyers should strategize. Just as we tend to evaluate a certified pipefitter's experience when he is talking about piping issues, IMHO it is relevant in considering your legal judgments just how much experience (legal) you have.

I think you're right as far as disclosure is concerned. But that probably wouldn't prevent them from calling whoever nominated him.

Nominations are not disclosed by the Academy for 50 years. Procedures for nominators for the Physics Prize are as follows (Chemistry is similar):

Qualified Nominators

The right to submit proposals for the award of a Nobel Prize in Physics shall, by statute, be enjoyed by:

1. Swedish and foreign members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences;

2. Members of the Nobel Committee for Physics;

3. Nobel Laureates in Physics;

4. Tenured professors in the Physical sciences at the universities and institutes of technology of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway, and Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm;

5. Holders of corresponding chairs in at least six universities or university colleges (normally, hundreds of universities) selected by the Academy of Sciences with a view to ensuring the appropriate distribution over the different countries and their seats of learning; and

6. Other scientists from whom the Academy may see fit to invite proposals.

I believe that historically nominators have kept their mouths closed about nominations, but I could be wrong.

That was Henry Johnson. He put it in writing too. Johnson has been Rossi's personal lawyer since he set up shop in Miami I believe. He also I think, did Fabiani's "USQL" incorporation, or was that Annesser? . Anyways, Johnson was also "director" of JMP. Not too impressive a guy judging by his depo.

And yes, Dewey at one point mentioned Johson's professional jeopardy.

My thoughts related to Johnson's testimony. Does he get on the stand and say he lied (which exposes him to professional jeopardy), say he didn't lie but based his statements on Rossi's assurances (throws Rossi under the bus), pleads the 5th (plays badly with jury) or asserts that someone told him but that statement is privileged (plays badly with jury). I don't see any good responses for him.

My recollection is that basically anyone can nominate anyone for a Nobel. So there's probably some evidence for that, but it's easily explained as the meaningless thing that it is.

IIRC, nominations are publicly disclosed for some significant time, if at all. Only winners.

Also, on another issue: does anyone immediately recall what lawyer told IH that Rossi had no involvement in the fake company (a/k/a JM). That lawyer may have issues with his state bar.

Is that how it works? Are you sure? I wouldn't know, but I think a lawyer said the counter-suit would call for another trial.

If they can do them both at the same time that reduces expenses and saves time.

Is that how it works? Are you sure? I wouldn't know, but I think a lawyer said the counter-suit would call for another trial.

If they can do them both at the same time that reduces expenses and saves time.

Mike is correct. Generally (with some exceptions that don't apply here), if the causes of action arise from the same set of facts and are related, you must file a counter-claim, not a separate complaint.

Good. If they have been allowed as evidence then other JONP Rossisays items should be allowed as well. If I were the judge I'd be focusing on the Rossisays "I would refund IH if I got my IP back" and this whole trial could get wrapped up in 20 minutes rather than 5 weeks.

Settlement discussions are often not admissible at trial. But let's say Rossi gets in, what then when IH says fine - bring a cashier's check for the $11.5 million. Does Rossi have the cash or will that be another instance of Rossi coming up with an excuse? And, if Rossi and IH settled mid-trial on those terms, Rossi could arguable be worse off. With the trial, he stands some chance, however small, of winning on both the principal complaint and the counter-claim. If he settles and then doesn't pay, IH has a slam-dunk case against him for the $11.5 million. What would his defense to non-payment of that be - I didn't mean it or didn't understand it? And given that such a settlement gives IH everything they want originally, I suspect they would have accepted a genuine offer. Remember, if they win on the counter-claim, they will likely be deemed to have rescinded any claims they have to the IP (once they are fully paid). Based on the above, I don't find the alleged settlement offer credible. To plagiarize, "show me the money."

Once again, I am not a real lawyer (fyi, I made predictions a while ago).

You mean Rossi couldn't even OFFER to do the demo? I think he could offer, and then the pissed off judge could "instruct" the jury to disregard such remarks. That is sometimes how court cases are won. It is also how you will never have the same lawyers again because those lawyers have to practice law before that same judge again, whereas there is not much chance a defendant will meet up with the same lawyer and pull the same shenanigans.

But they are intended to be considered by the jury.

Yes, and they can bite you in the ass. You use an opening statement to tell the jury your story and how you are going to present evidence to back it up. But let's suppose you say that you are going to prove a, b and c. but then don't present persuasive evidence as to "c". You can be sure that the opposing counsel, in their closing, will stress repeatedly to the jury that your promised to give them "c" and, just like Rossi, you failed. Be careful about what you promise in your opening statement, especially if you can't deliver.

You mean Rossi couldn't even OFFER to do the demo? I think he could offer, and then the pissed off judge could "instruct" the jury to disregard such remarks. That is sometimes how court cases are won. It is also how you will never have the same lawyers again because those lawyers have to practice law before that same judge again, whereas there is not much chance a defendant will meet up with the same lawyer and pull the same shenanigans.

Kev: how many trials, jury or otherwise, have you litigated as lead counsel or associate counsel?

A quick note to everyone: opening statements are not evidence.

Bringing in evidence of past crimes is always a bit tricky. Why is it being sought to be admitted as evidence, that he is a liar or that he committed a crime? Let's say a party had been convicted of a DUI - should that be admitted? It has very little relevance to a person's credibility, but it is likely to prejudice the jury against the person. Prejudicial value outweighs probative value, likely not admissible. Now, as to Rossi's alleged prior acts: I don't know enough about the status of the criminal charges that were brought against him Italy - was he convicted, reversed on appeal, etc. I think the court will be very careful about letting that in. However, the history of his business ventures - his frequent claims to success that were actually not successful, that might be admitted to show that he is a serial fabulist (liar). Evidence as to his character, likely not admitted, evidence as to his credibility, more likely to be admitted.

Conclusion: I won't predict how the court will rule.

Rossi, nor IHFB, have enough practical knowledge to understand that fabricating such a large heavy heat exchanger is not like the Home-Depot small pipe, tubing, insulation and tape-mummified crude tabletop "demos" and "prototypes" that Rossi concocted. In addition to your excellent outline above, they did all that installation, and removal (requiring some significant rigging to manage pipe that heavy (unless the cut it all up into 3'sections (a big job in itself))) in a cramped, limited-access, un-airconditioned second floor, with Rossi and some day-laborers, with nary a bit of evidence left behind--not even a hole or dent in the wall!

If I were the lawyer, I'd haul a 3' section of that pipe into the courtroom and have the jurors (and/or Rossi) try to pick up the 60 pound short piece, and then have them imagine dragging up pieces 10 times as long and heavy into their attic in the summertime, manipulating, cutting, welding etc with Rossi and a couple of helpers. Rossi should have made his story more believable by stating that the pieces were rigged thru his invisible quick-change glazing system on the windows.

Give him time!!

Many many thanks for the detailed analysis. I always suspected welding was more difficult that it seemed. I guess Gorilla tape might not have been adequate to the task.

woodworker,

When I suggested that both sides were hiding balls, I didn't mean from each other. I meant that they are hiding balls from us. And if you think that they don't care about us (i.e., the LENR community), you would be wrong. Each party knows that the eyes of this fraction of the world is on them, and they care. The Lugano report was downloaded hundreds of thousands of times within a matter of days. The number of LENR lurkers far outnumber those of us who make our thoughts expressly known here and elsewhere. The stakes not only for the parties, but for the world, are enormous. I agree with you that by now both parties have a fairly good sense of what evidence each has. And I sure hope we get some clarification during the trial, because those who think this thing is already wrapped up, seem to me (once again) to be jumping to conclusions.

As a side note, this next week is a particularly busy one for me, so unfortunately, I'm going to have to tamp down my participation here for a little while. Best wishes to all, and may the truth prevail.

woodworker,

When I suggested that both sides were hiding balls, I didn't mean from each other. I meant that they are hiding balls from us. And if you think that they don't care about us (i.e., the LENR community), you would be wrong. Each party knows that the eyes of this fraction of the world is on them, and they care. The Lugano report was downloaded hundreds of thousands of times within a matter of days. The number of LENR lurkers far outnumber those of us who make our thoughts expressly known here and elsewhere. The stakes not only for the parties, but for the world, are enormous. I agree with you that by now both parties have a fairly good sense of what evidence each has. And I sure hope we get some clarification during the trial, because those who think this thing is already wrapped up, seem to me (once again) to be jumping to conclusions.

As a side note, this next week is a particularly busy one for me, so unfortunately, I'm going to have to tamp down my participation here for a little while. Best wishes to all, and may the truth prevail.

Of course they are hiding the ball from us and the outside world. The litigation strategy is driven by the lawyers. Their job is to win the case. Why would you think that they give a rat's ass about us or whether or not we should know all the facts. Their audience is the judge and the jury, not us. We may have opinions, but we are not sitting in the jury box. As far the lawyers are concerned, this is not a high profile, ENRON or OJ type case where you are trying to sway public opinion, this is a basic contract dispute that Jones Day handles every day of the year. This may be important to some on this board and to lots of lurkers, etc., but JD doesn't give a damn what we think.