Posts by Mark U

On Booker's report, does anyone have an energy estimate for the H2 + O2 supplied before it hits the Pd catalyst, and any electric or thermal energy added at that point of the experiment. As Bob Greenyer pointed out the energy of atomic H to H2 or H2O must be accounted for to rule that out as the cause of the excess energy in the report.

I read the report yesterday and noted around 950 kJ of excess energy in the runs. Back of the envelope that is about 8 grams of H2 or around 20 grams of gasoline, i.e. less than an ounce; so ruling this chemical energy out is necessary.

The amount of H2 used is not given, not even the pressure. If we're talking about burning the H2, only a tiny amount of O2 was added to produce a tiny amount of water, and so O2 would be by far the limiting factor. But let's assume that it was a fully optimized H2 + O2 reaction, and assume your 8 grams of H2 to produce that energy is correct. We know that 1 mole of any gas at 1 atmosphere is about 22.4 litres. Also, 8 grams of H2 gas is 4 moles. So we're talking about 4*22.4 =~ 90 litres of H2 gas at 1 atmosphere required to produce the energy reported, ignoring the extra volume for the O2 gas. The SunCell cube has a volume of about 1 L. Hard to see how the reaction could consume 90 litres in a few seconds in a volume that small.

The calculations look OK

There is a typo...

2454 kJ/(kg*degree C)

I would trust the water+gallium calorimetry result with O/I =4.24 more than the gallium only calorimetry.

I haven't carefully looked at the gallium calorimetry, but the water calorimetry is likely to be off, and a significant overestimation.

First, it involved a water temperature change of only one third of a degree C, in a container that is about 1 cubic metre. Temperature measurements are almost certain not to be uniform, and thus error prone.

Second, the calculations are assuming all the water mass loss is from a water change of state, from liquid to vapour. But surely this in untenable because the temperature of the water was only about 33C, and bubbles from the very hot SunCell surface in the bottom of the water tank would carry liquid water up and away from the tank. So clearly not all water loss is from change of state, perhaps not even close. This is made even more critical seeing that most of the excess energy calculation comes from change of state.

I say this as a long term Mill's fan: It's a letdown to see both a low COP and questionable water calorimetry.

Local historians: can anyone list all the e-cat models over the past 9 years? There have been many and just think of all the happy albeit totally secret customers!

This is roughly correct I think:

2011 - E-Cat

2013 - E-Cat Hot

2017 - E-Cat QX

2018 - E-Cat SK

2019 - E-Cat SKL

2020 - E-Cat Hindsight (Because hindsight is 20/20)

The 'impossible invention' just got more impossible with the 70 percent or so conversion of energy to electricity. How can anyone really be ready for it?! Rossi himself does not seem to be exuding confidence about the presentation, but maybe he's just being his humble self. I hope so. If he succeeds, Rossi is at least a Dimash Kudaibergen.

Great to see progress!!!

Wonder what the legal status is if Mills’ obsession with a transition energy of 27.2eV/c^2 proves not to be correct. (It’s pretty simple to work out that 54.4-13.6 is not 27.2eV)

Is it legally acceptable to misrepresent the process so badly???

Hmmmm, 27.2 eV is not a transition energy. A multiple of 27.2 eV is transferred to a catalyst, and the remainder of the energy (from the binding energy differential) is released as light continua.

For instance:

When H(1/1) goes to H(1/2), 27.2 eV is transferred to the catalyst, and the remaining energy, (2^2 - 1^2)*13.6eV - 27.2eV = 13.6eV, is released as light.

When H(1/1) goes to H(1/3), 2*27.2 eV = 54.4 eV is transferred to the catalyst, and the remaining energy, (3^2 - 1^2)*13.6eV - 54.4eV = 54.4eV, is released as light.

Is anybody (with a small chance to not be trashed in the JONP's uncorfortable questions bin) willing to ask Il Dotore the output voltage and the max current provided by the one liter ashtonishing azure cube? I don't think that this information can break any secrets or the IP. If he doesn't answer, he probably doesn't know it either.

BTW, as new information comes to light, Dotore's SKL is becoming more promising than Keshe's inventions.

He knows it all right, but wants to keep it secret until the demo. I'll guess it's about 40 watts in and 200 watts out, just in electricity. But when the power supply is unplugged shortly after startup, that should be the stunner.

That is mostly right. The (fairly) high voltage and plasma is very continuous.

What more specifically do you mean by the ”calorimetry is another matter”?

I mean, unlike the spectroscopy to power measurement, I take Rossi's heat-measure calorimetry seriously, whether it's airflow or liquid (preferably without change of state).

That temperature stuff is about right.

The colors don’t photograph well with my cheap camera. I took some OK ones just now, fooling around with xenon flash bulbs and halogen flashlight bulbs. And a dome light out of an old Chevy. Lights em up without a ground wire and using the glass as one of the electrodes.

OK, I was referring to the red-yellow glowing thing in one of your recent posts. Now I see you are referring to something else. I assume you're using an induction coil and getting intermittent high voltage and glowing plasma. I'll take your word for it that it's nitrogen gas at atmospheric temperature and not something else. But you should know that the eV required to ionize N2 is an indicator of electron temperature, not plasma temperature. The two can be very, very different. That's why I don't take Rossi's calculation of plasma temperature (and then power calculation) from spectroscopy very seriously. The calorimetry is another matter though.

For inspiration in your adventures, you may find this video funny and informative:

This video shows a guy harnessing power from a plasma ball (wouldn't be over unity though):

Since I am ionizing nitrogen at almost atmosphere pressure, a significant portion of my plasma is over 5 eV in order for a decent fraction of nitrogen molecules in the energy distribution to be raised to 15.5 eV, the ionization energy for nitrogen. That means the plasma is at least 58000 C.

lol. Surely a tongue is firmly in cheek regarding both the 15.5 eV and the 58000 C. Rossi gets the attempt at subtle humour and approves.

(To others: if N2 was really being ionized in appreciable quantities one would see deep blue/purple. P's glowing thing is not that.)

Rossi was told, with the earlier not convincing tests, how to mend them and make them watertight. By his friends. He ignored such advice, every time.

Well, you can't know that he ignored demonstration test advice *every* time, simply because you don't know all the advice he received. It certainly appears he receives and heeds technical advice, why not advice on how to perform a demonstration.

But yes, in the end, Rossi marches to his own drum. Perhaps it is not his priority to make his demonstration tests 'watertight' in the eyes of others.

Further, perhaps he is so indignant when people imply or preach he is a fraud, that he may take satisfaction not appeasing their particular demands for proof.

Perhaps he enjoys when people exercise some faith in the absence of complete disclosure.

Perhaps, perhaps. Great word.

Why does Pol think the cube is painted metal?

Not sure but he's probably familiar with heat dissipation and knows that certain paints (among other things) can increase emissivity and thus radiative cooling. So he would be saying something like, "even given passive cooling techniques, the most heat such a cube could safely output would be (30 percent of 300 watts) 90 watts."

It does indeed seem that Steven Karels' post on JONP has stumped Rossi. I guess he's either consulting with his props maker on ways to attach a heat exchanger or scratching his head figuring out where all that heat is disappearing to.

Nah. First, Rossi may be travelling now and is not writing to the blog. Secondly, the amount of energy released from the 10cm cube has not been revealed and will have to wait until the demo.

Pol Dekyvere December 3, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Congratulations for your tireless efforts. You have always believed that it was possible and now it has become reality.

Is it correct if I think that people expect too much from a 10 cm cube? The highest achievable power for a 10 cm painted metal cube is about 300 W? 30% heat = 90 W (15 W dissipation / side). More realistic would be 100 W total output energy > 70 W electricity and 30 W heat.

I wish you all the best and good health.

Andrea Rossi December 3, 2019 at 4:49 PM

Pol Dekyvere:

The data will be given after the tests

Warm Regards

A.R.

For sure.

Almost immediately after placement of the magnet temperature of the reactor falls to 80 o F

I would think this is likely to be a language translation issue and what is meant is "falls 80 F". If not, wow.

Name one. He/she doesn't even have to be able, just exist. Your statement is unverifiable.

Currently, yes it may be unverifiable. We have Rossi saying the E-Cat SKL team is comprised of six people, one of which is an EE, another an Electronics engineer, and another a professor of informatics. Who knows, at the live demonstration of the SKL masterpiece in February, the team might be introduced.

Now now, prospective Rossi adulators. We must not exaggerate what Rossi can do. He probably does not even believe that machines can attain consciousness, nor particles mystically entangle themselves. Let's just stick with a visionary, indefatiguable inventor who is ably assisted by very good electrical and electronic engineers.

There are supposedly answers to questions two and three already out there whether true or not i saw them.

Yes. Rossi had answered earlier, that the (cigarette sized) control box can be any distance from the E-cat. In this context, Rossi then revealed that the control box utilizes AI.