jeff Member
  • Member since Jul 5th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by jeff

The difference between LENR and bipolar transistors is that there was a theory describing the underlying phenomena for the latter. The concepts of bandgap, Fermi level, current flow, holes, and electrons were all well established, even if they underwent further refinement, during transistor technology development.

While it's certain that I'm preaching to the choir, it seems clear that the place to expend our energy is to identify a theory that can be tested. At first the testing will be limited to confirming that nuclei can be brought sufficiently close together to achieve a reasonable probability of interaction. (The assumption here is that LENR may be described as a tunneling phenomenon.) There exist computational QM packages that should be able to do this, although the optimum algorithm is not clear to me. On the upside, the number of particles required to comprehend the LENR environment is likely to be small compared to many MM problems, and this may permit the use of fairly accurate algorithms.

The next step would be to design materials with the necessary nanostructure to permit LENR phenomena to occur. Right now, CMOS technology is able to reliably construct <10 nm features. So it would be useful to understand of these feature sizes are small enough to produce LENR effects. If the feature size is in the 5-10 nm range then it should be possible to fabricate an LENR capable surface using standard CMOS fabrication techniques.

I suggest you discuss this with Mizuno. He may be hard to reach for some time.

One thing I noticed is that H2 (or D2) gas has a high thermal conductivity, particularly at relatively high pressures. This phenomenon was observed in a Celani-type of experiment, where the temperature of the internally heated element was monitored with an IR thermometer. Interestingly, the H2 thermal conductivity (as measured by the difference in heater element temperature for a constant ambient temperature) did not change appreciably until the H2 pressure was reduced to a few tens of milli Torr. This effect may not impact the temperature of the external containment vessel, but it would have an effect on the temperature of the Ni mesh if the mesh were heated via an internal heating element.

Was there a consensus about the best cheap stainless 120 x 500 mm “reactor chambers”?

I need two for blanks, so vacuum sealing isn’t necessary although I would like to close them up to significant air movement. At least able take one end off to change heaters, etc.

LDS Vacuum will fabricate CF full nipples to any desired length. A 6" CF flange diameter corresponds to a 4" tube OD, which is close to the 120 mm you stated. A CF full nipple has removable flanges at both ends, and the flanges are available as blank or with various fittings such as VCR/

Mass spec, reactor and a lot of messy-looking plumbing. Nearly ready to rumble, just waiting for cold trap parts (between reactor and mass spec) and also babying this through the next round of vacuum testing.

A few questions/comments:

I notice that some of the system appears to have a heater blanket, but some of the small diameter tubing does not. Assuming that you plan to bake out the system, does this unheated tubing make a difference?

The small diameter tube will really slow down the evacuation rate in the molecular flow region. The conductance varies as the cube of the tube diameter, so attaining a high vacuum at the far end may take some time.

How good a vacuum do you intend on achieving after bakeout? I ask this question in part because I'm constructing a similar setup.

Once D2 is introduced it will be difficult to remove. T/M pumps have a hard time pumping light gasses due to the high velocity of the molecules compared to the rotor tangential velocity. Do you intend to achieve a high vacuum only to guarantee that the chamber is contaminant free and then assume that D2 in some quantity will always remain?

Jeff

The used Pfeiffer diaphragm pump I received was a total mess and would not pull below ~50 Torr. One of the diaphragms had ruptured, and corrosive gas got inside, freezing the bearings and damaging the camshaft. The bearings had to be ground off, and the camshaft had to be re-machined to the correct eccentricity. Everything is back together now, and I'm waiting for the correct thickness reinforced rubber membrane to fabricate the diaphragms. With some hardware store rubber sheet I am able to draw 1.5 Torr, which is plenty good as a foreline vacuum to the T/M pump. Then it's off to procure Conflat components.

I think Dr. Mizuno is dealing with a high standard metalworks shop so they have high rates. Perhaps is not easy for him to find a more economic shop to get the nuts drilled, if that is the problem really. Is hard to imagine what else could be the problem to open it.

As people have stated previously, stainless steel galls easily; it also has a tendency to work harden, making drilling difficult. Some vacuum hardware utilizes silver coated threads to avoid this problem. For example, the threads on VCR fittings are typically plated with silver. I don't know what machining facilities Mizuno has, but if he can get hold of a vertical mill and carbide tooling it should be possible to either drill or mill off the damaged hardware (assuming it is nuts/bolts). I have some experience machining stainless, and the combination of rigid a setup, carbide tooling, and appropriate coolant works well.

Jeff

Well, having changed the filaments, rebaked the QMS and pumped it down for a couple of days we are now at 3.4x10-8mB - and the foreline trap only arrived today and isn't fitted.

So maybe- depending on your roughing pump you don't have to worry. They are mostly to trap water vapour anyway.

Rather than worry about oil contamination, I purchased a Pfeiffer MVP-202-3DC dry diaphragm pump. Pfeiffer Vacuum recommends this type of fore pump for their TMU-262 T/M pump. Based on Pfeiffer's data, it should be possible to attain 1e-8 mbar with this combination of pumps.

Prototype half-scale cell 40 x 300 mm. The heater is a 150 watt cartridge inserted in the thermowell. I'll initially assemble it without Ni mesh, for vacuum testing and bake out. The ports are both 3/8" Swagelok, welded to the end caps.

From where did you order the thermowell? Most of the ones I saw are designed for high pressure usage, entailing a wall thickness much greater than is necessary for our use.

I understand that. There has to be some sort of transition.

Most paper is flimsy, and sealing/smoothing the inside seems awkward, so wondering how it was done. I mean, I am actually trying to replicate as best as possible.

When building a flow calorimeter I machined 1/2" plexiglass to accept the square hole pattern of the fan on one side and a 2" PVC pipe on the other side. Plexiglass can be bonded to PVC with the plumber's cement sold at hardware stores.

Jeff

You need to be lucky if spending anything under $5k IMO. The spec I have (and was seen working before collection) is elderly, and getting it back into top-line condition will take a little time. Fortunately we have a software wizard who is working on updates for the system, After some initial concerns at least it has responded to a bake out and some tender loving care. If you buy an old one, seeing it working is vital, because the filaments etc may be burnt out. I replaced the vacuum gauge with an ebay find, as it was flakey, but they can also be stripped and serviced, which I will do with the old one, as you need two- one for the mass spec and one for the reactor. A little practical engineering knowledge is vital I think. You also need to be sure you get one configured for low-mass, preferably a machine that has been used for helium leak detection or similar. All QMS systems are not identical.

There is a local company: SRS that advertises a line of RGA QMAs starting at $3700 for a new unit.

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/rga.html.

I have not looked into all the details, but they may work for LENR needs. Pfeiffer Vacuum also makes what appears to be a nice unit, although it's approximately 2x as expensive.

Jeff

This is what I had thought as no mention of bake out gases was done in either video, and I hoped that was only an omission. For me it was clear that without the capacity of doing gas analysis, as Jed has insisted since the paper was published, there was no much hope of quick success.eff

I do not think you can do this experiment without a mass spectrometer. You have no way of knowing whether you have cleaned the material and removed all water, nitrides and carbon dioxide. You are working blind.

If one were to build a "reasonably priced" system that included <1e-7 mb vacuum system, a mass spectrometer, and a flow calorimeter, would it look like what is shown in the attachment? I am in the process of determining what such a system would cost, but before proceeding further I would like some consensus that the proposed system meets the requirements for a MIzuno replication.

So I have heard, from other people.

I found an interesting paper that details the reduction of NiO in H2 at different temperatures. The paper reports that both the percentage of NiO reduced, as well as the resulting surface morphology are strongly dependent on the reduction temperature. Low temperatures result in incomplete reduction with induction times of many minutes, while high temperatures yield nearly 100% reduction occurring in seconds. So the NiO reduction process may do more than simply remove oxide. It may also produce a NAE supportive surface.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b04313.

Jeff

A few comments regarding a fan-based flow calorimeter. The temperature delta between input and output will not be linear with respect to the power dissipated internally. As the air inside the calorimeter is heated it expands and produces a back pressure against the fan. So there are two factors affecting back pressure: a static back pressure and one that is temperature rise dependent. Typical fan performance curves show a decrease in airflow as back pressure increases. It's possible, of course, to work with a non-linear power vs. temperature rise curve by first running a calibration over the desired range of power levels. However, changes in the ambient temperature or variations in fan performance will introduce errors.

The other approach is to construct a fan controller that guarantees a constant thermal mass flow. This can be done by placing a pair of diodes, one resistively heated and one not heated, in the inlet airstream. The forward voltage drop across each diode is then sent to an amplifier circuit that generates a variable DC voltage to power the fan. The temperature delta between the two diode junctions is proportional to the thermal mass of air moved by the fan, since the heated diode is cooled somewhat by the passing airflow. A plot of power vs. temperature rise then yields a nearly linear relationship. Note that DC power is supplied to the heater, so precise V and I measurements are possible. If anyone is interested I can provide circuit details and possibly PC boards.

Regarding welding of SS: TIG welding is the preferred method. I had an exhaust system for a homebuilt aircraft fabricated of .040" wall thickness SS tube, and the results were really good. One word of caution: the welder stated that back purging is necessary to prevent oxidation on the reverse side.

Depending on how the cell is constructed, it may be possible to purchase all the needed components pre-welded. For example, LDS Vacuum will fabricate custom length Conflat nipples. End flanges with the appropriate connections are available off the shelf. These include either VCR or Swagelok fittings. Take a look at their website for more details.

Prototype half-scale cell 40 x 300 mm. The heater is a 150 watt cartridge inserted in the thermowell. I'll initially assemble it without Ni mesh, for vacuum testing and bake out. The ports are both 3/8" Swagelok, welded to the end caps.

Looks good and very well made. Several questions: What size Conflat flanges are those? Also, the Conflat nipple looks longer than the standard size. Did you have one custom fabricated? Is the sheath heater secured via a Swagelok ferrule or is the long interior tube a closed end affair into which the sheath heater is inserted?

To all,

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions.

I found a vendor, Isowater, that sells D2O for $779 per kg. They state that the D2O is refined, so hopefully that means it is also de-ionized. Most hydrogen generators require DI water to work properly. I once contacted United Nuclear to ask whether their D2O is de-ionised but never got a reply.100 gms of D2O may not be enough to sufficiently fill the reservoir in the hydrogen generator. However if 500g is sufficient I would be willing to sell the unused D2O to help defray costs.

If there is one set of three Ni mesh I would be interested in purchasing a set for $400.00, I believe. If none are available, please put me down on a to-buy list. BTW, the volume of my replication setup is much smaller than that used by Mizuno, so excess power (if any) will be commensurately less.

Several people have stated concerns about placing a thermocouple inside the chamber. I plan on avoiding this problem by using a fused quartz outer tube and an IR thermometer to monitor directly the temperature of the Ni mesh. An inconel sheathed cartridge heater (available from Omega ) will be placed inside the rolled mesh and will be separated from the mesh inside an alumina tube. In previous experiments I did use an internal and exposed heater element (Kanthal) and encountered no outgassing problems. Those experiments were run at 800-1200C, so at the much lower temperatures used in Mizuno replications, an exposed heater element may not cause problems with outgassing or metal vapor pressure.

Jeff