orsova Verified User
  • Male
  • from Australia
  • Member since Jun 5th 2019

Posts by orsova

What to make of this?

Quote from the article

“Essentially, what we’ve discovered is that systems that contain an asymmetry in either electrostatic pressure or some kind of electrostatic divergent field can give a system of a center of mass a non-zero force component,” Buhler explained. “So, what that basically means is that there’s some underlying physics that can essentially place force on an object should those two constraints be met.”

NASA Veteran’s Propellantless Propulsion Drive That Physics Says Shouldn’t Work Just Produced Enough Thrust to Overcome Earth’s Gravity - The Debrief
    A veteran NASA scientist says his company has tested a propellantless propulsion drive technology that produced one Earth gravity of thrust.
    thedebrief.org

What to make of this?

Quote from the article

“Essentially, what we’ve discovered is that systems that contain an asymmetry in either electrostatic pressure or some kind of electrostatic divergent field can give a system of a center of mass a non-zero force component,” Buhler explained. “So, what that basically means is that there’s some underlying physics that can essentially place force on an object should those two constraints be met.”

NASA Veteran’s Propellantless Propulsion Drive That Physics Says Shouldn’t Work Just Produced Enough Thrust to Overcome Earth’s Gravity - The Debrief
    A veteran NASA scientist says his company has tested a propellantless propulsion drive technology that produced one Earth gravity of thrust.
    thedebrief.org

The previous comments relate to a tritium experiment which Jed DID link - although I did not see it for a while. My memory of those experiments is that the careful ones showed very low tritium output and the work required to prove this could not be any of the possible sources; contamination, electrolytic or evaporative concentration (a few others I do not remember). These experiments are particularly difficult to do due to the small results and the fact that (unlike excess heat) you must collect bulk results and test afterwards - which makes checking things challenging.

Okay, but you specifically asked for the tritium paper first.

Here are the posts:

Having received the paper you asked for, you now say: "my memory is that the experiment was not conclusive, and so I'm not going to bother with the paper."

Surely, you must see that if you ask for a paper, specifically say that you would be willing to have a serious discussion about it, and then back away when you receive the paper in question, then people might start to wonder whether you were ever serious about looking at the paper in the first place.

In another thread, you quite literally said to Jed: "give me the paper and I'll give you the error", but here, the request was fulfilled, and now you don't want to read the paper that you asked for.

Here it is again:

Everything you say is very well taken.

I realise I'm dragging us off topic, but here's Wolfe at further length.

The Painted Word Tom Wolfe

'One day in April of 1974, the New York Times reviewed an exhibition of realist art taking place at Yale University. The reviewer, Hilton Kramer, made this observation: “Realism does not lack its partisans, but it does rather conspicuously lack a persuasive theory. And given the nature of our intellectual commerce with works of art, to lack a persuasive theory is to lack something crucial—the means by which our experience of individual works is joined to our understanding of the values they signify.”

The writer Tom Wolfe, reading this, was, by his own description, “jerked alert.” Wolfe understood Kramer to be saying, in Wolfe’s words, “In short: frankly, these days, without a theory to go with it, I can’t see a painting.”'

Collier is such a fantastic science communicator.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I seem to have hit a nerve here but I am not sure why.

I understand with waste of time. If everyone here has the fixed idea that LENR effects are caused by nuclear reactions any explanation of the case for skepticism is a waste of time.

My post may have been obvious - but I don't understand why it would be any of the other things you say. I was expanding on the idea of psychological bias introduced above. In an entirely neutral way. And explaining my own bias. Conspiracy theories are sometimes true - and as I said above LENR has the same "joining the dots" attraction without the demerit of requiring any conscious conspiracy. Though I should point out a few here claim there is such a conspiracy (of hot fusion scientists - I have even incorrectly been labelled one of them) to discredit LENR.

I apologise for speaking so strongly.

There's nothing neutral about suggesting that people who accept LENR are of the same ilk as people who believe in Qanon, or that the moon landing was faked, or that climate change is a hoax.

We're talking about the interpretation of highly technical experimental results; couched in a somewhat unique sociology and history. It's an academic disagreement over the interpretation of evidence.

That's fundamentally different to the kind of thing that conspiracy theorists are up to.

People Drawn to Conspiracy Theories Share a Cluster of Psychological Features
    Baseless theories threaten our safety and democracy. It turns out that specific emotions make people prone to such thinking
    www.scientificamerican.com

I can only conclude that you are angry at the waste of time - but you can keep away from this one thread?

No. It's the comparison. I found it insulting. I'm going to delete my post. We can do without its bluntness - and rudeness.

That is completely wrong. Many different instrument types are used, so you need an error mechanism for each type.

I don't want to speak for THH, but I think you two are in agreement. THH is saying that there are lots of potential error mechanisms, and lots of potential 'anomalies', and so it's just a matter of probability that an error mechanism would make itself visible in any given experiment. I think THH means "you only need one per experiment of the very many that exist."

The question is whether those anomalies are specific to the experiments, and or whether they all have the same (presumably nuclear - but with no theory that predicts them all) cause.

The arguments on this thread that are general are essentially reiterating that point. You are right - neither Jed's contention, nor mine, repeated, adds anything. Both sides see the other as ignoring something that is obvious.

Fair enough.

You are thinking that either I can find a mistake in every string LENR paper, or Jed is right.

That's incorrect. I'm not asking you to find mistakes in every strong LENR paper. I'm not even making an argument about who is right or wrong. It's an argument about what types of analysis are rigorous.

I'm simply making the point that talking in general terms about what might be a possible error is no substitute for reading individual papers and evaluating them based on the quality of the work.

It's often the case to me that you sound like you dismiss any possibility of LENR based on generalised, sweeping arguments about the possibility of error.

Two things can, in principle, be true simultaneously:

A) The super majority of papers that report tritium fail to adequately account for possible sources of error.

B) One paper is absolutely exemplary and conclusively shows a large, anomalous amount of tritium.

If you make an argument in general terms based on the observation of A, and find that argument to be dispositive, then you're never going to get to B, which is really the useful conclusion to get to.

Those individual papers do not support LENR. They each show an anomaly. The different anomalies are not all predicted by a single LENR theory - yet. Until that happens the individual evidence in each case is just "appears to be an anomaly" and lack of clear reproducibility makes that inconclusive.

Agree to disagree. There may not be a theory, but there is a commonality of materials, experimental design, methodology and observation. Moreover, there is also a commonality amongst the observations - all the claimed products seem to be nuclear in their origin.

I would also dispute the idea that lack of clear reproducibility, in of itself, makes an observation of an anomaly inconclusive.

For example, Jed will say (as will everyone here): anomalous excess heat is well proven and reproducible. Yet the modern attempts to find this are all uncertain, and show results much lower than those original F&P results.

Ok, but we should make some allowance for the fact that you can't get sponsored to do this work, and it's career suicide if you do. And then, on top of that, it's an extremely challenging experiment. In a way, it's not really a fair critique because the resources available to researchers haven't been continuous and stable.

Besides, what do the results of recent experiments say about the quality of older experiments? You imply that recent results somehow invalidate or cast doubt on prior results. That doesn't make sense.

Again, you make a general argument: "All the recent results are worse than the older results" and use it to cast doubt on F&P's work.

I don't dispute apparent excess Tritium from the Tritium experiments - i dispute LENR as mots likely reason for it. In that case I can say in some cases what is a likely reason - e.g. electrolytic or evaporative fractionation - and in other cases just point out that contamination has not been ruled out.

Yes. That's a general argument. You can say that. But it's not useful unless you've actually read a specific paper and are making a specific argument about that paper.

"Maybe there's an error, because there's often an error" isn't a rigorous critique.

"I'm not satisfied with the way this group handled X, Y & Z, and I'd like to see experimental design changes of A, B and C and an attempt to control for T, Y, and U, in their next paper before I could accept this result as truly anomalous" is.

To your credit, you do often make that kind of argument. But you often generalise too.

On any single experiment Jed will say - you are supposing some unlikely source of error. I will say - yes but it does not have to be very likely, because the set of possible anomalous "LENR" results is quite large, and the number of error mechanism sis also quite large. You only need one error mechanism and one anomaly to generate LENR evidence.

Again, this is a generality. "Maybe there's an error because there are a lot of possible errors" is not a scientific argument.

You're absolutely correct that you only need one error mechanism to explain by prosaic means an ostensibly anomalous result. Nonetheless, there's a world of difference between catching the hare and dreaming about dinner.

I did not see the specifics i asked for. Jed knows his library very well and could, were he willing, provide this. If I have missed this I am sorry - the link above is a link to Jed's library.

Searching for a paper is not a great idea in this situation - i will probably get the wrong one even if given an author. Really, there is no substitute for a specific link which is what i give people when seriously looking at things.

I quoted two studies already, and I gave you the names of other authors. There are plenty more. See, for example, "On an electrode producing massive quantities of tritium and helium."

post 205455

https://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/library/1992/1992Bockris-TritiumHelium.pdf

I am reminded of this post:

But Hanlon's Razor is beginning to look increasingly tenuous...

Suffice it to say that Back’s history is public knowledge.

THH,

There’s a pattern that I’ve noticed in the way you sometimes respond here, in that you zoom out and speak in general terms about various hypothetical sources of error, and then use that discussion as the basis for rejection of specific experiments or claims.

For instance, here, at your request, Jed gave you a particular paper, by Bockris et al. to evaluate. Instead of doing so, and responding with a concrete critique of the particulars of that experiment, as one might reasonably expect of you, you’ve responded in extremely general terms about possible errors, and possible classes of error, that might hypothetically be present, and that you assert, often are.

You then use your generalisation to assert that specific experiments are not reliable.

To speak in abstract, hypothetical terms about what may or may not be wrong about whole swathes of literature is not an adequate response to the specific task of reviewing a specific paper - which is the task that you and Jed were negotiating.

And it is certainly not grounds for the rejection of the claims of any specific paper.

In this case, you cannot prove a particular with a generality.