Riom Member
  • Member since Jul 12th 2019
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Riom

Having read the Mizuno papers in detail I think the heater might be a critical component.

• The largest known difference between R19 and R20 is the change of heater position and possibly the heater type
    • It seems to me if simple heat was the only requirement to drive the reaction, it would be a self-sustaining, positive feedback loop. It's not, which suggest, and I've seen other suggest this, that it may be IR radiation driven, maybe frequency specific.

We do not know the truth of this theory, but it seems plausible. And for both those reasons, and in order to do as close a replication as possible and to reduce the variables as much as possible, I think it's important we know as much as we can about the heater. How exactly did he fit the 2m long heater element into the much shorter chamber? Would it be possible to obtain a photo even? I think this would be good additional info for your supplementary paper Jed to fill in one of the few small gaps in the description of the experiment.

With a recipe like Mizuno's that will likely be easily repeatable

Let’s hope so. But I suspect this will not be so. History is not on our side. And there are a load of variables replicating this ‘simple’ experiment. And I suspect some, perhaps many, of the replicators, will not be exact copies, even if it using their own custom reaction chamber, or nickel mesh that’s not identical, different heating methods, etc. Any changed variable, increases the risk the replication will fail. I hope, and I think Jed agrees, the replication should be as exact as possible. Preferably using Mizuno’s own prepared mesh (to reduce the variables a bit more). Did I see Jed has said Mizuno was willing to sell his prepared mesh?

I also worry that anyone in the existing CF community replicating the result will, like the whole pile of existing evidence the community of researchers has produced over 30 year, they will have great difficulty getting noticed or taken seriously. Whereas if Google can replicate it, especially after the Nature article, I think people everywhere will take notice. And it won’t be Google getting the glory (other than being bold enough to do the replication) it will be Mizuno.

IMO let’s do the ‘simple’ thing first. Prove the foundation before building on it.

As an outsider (new to this forum) but as an engineer that has followed CF from P&F times, an answer to Google's question seems really clear to me.

Google's goal is stated to find the 'definitive experiment'. There is one clear candidate:

• One experiment that is simpler than almost any other I've come across
    • That supposedly generates huge power out - hundreds of Watts to kW level.
    • Has a suggested COP of 5 to 10. So has large S/N. Precise calorimetry appears unnecessary
    • That is documented in detail that should be enough to replicate.

I'm talking about, as many others here have suggested, replicate exactly the recent Mizuno R20 experiment.

And Jed / Mizuno have said they are willing to help others replicate (not being overly protective like some we could mention.)

Google, please show is what Jed / Mizuno have got wrong or missed? (Assuming it doesn't work).

If it does work - job done. A new future for us all.

From the outside this seems far and away the most important experiment in the last 30 years. Timing was a bit unfortunate in that it happened at the same time as Google released their first report.