Posts by Desireless

Now I have to focus at the Palladium deposition method. Mizuno is saying more is better.

I am extremely eager to see SEM and EDX data from his Mesh. Then it will be enough to reach to the same condition.

Then there is another aspect for thinking. Why new design of the reactor improved COP so dramatically? Mizuno revealed that basically his previous reactors had similar Mesh but COP was not higher than 2. I think that it is important how electrons are flowing inside.

Temperature and polarity difference has an impact on the electrons. Moreover low pressure helps the flow.

Is it possible Mizuno would like to perform experiment in which he will set polarity of the SS shell to the same voltage as of the heater? Will it reduce power output?

In theory my reactor will allow to feed voltage between central tube which contain heater and the outer shell. I have to only add non conductive washers.

Lets see if COP can be improved.

I am measuring 3 temperatures all the time:

1. reactor shell the hottest point - IR Camera

2. reactor shell end cap - center point - IR Gun

3. reactor core - heater - thermocouple

All 3 temperatures were above calibration. Still I dont want to make any conclusion.

JedRothwell Yes, you are very right. Calibration was done with internal parameters same or as close as possible to the fueled run. To make a proper approximation of results I made calibration on multiple pressure levels and at power levels from 50 - 200W with 10W steps. Also with extremes to be able to guess how internal pressure will influence results and to minimize false conslusion.

There was Deuterium during calibration too.

I would like to know how to resolve my Palladium problem since I am almost certain it is reason for very poor results. Simply my imagination of rubbing was very, very different. I think that all previous steps during preparation were of almost zero importance since mesh surface was shiny after rubbing. And weight of the mesh actually decreased noticeably.

Alan Smith No, the geiger is running for years in the same lab and it never reacted in this way. I believe I can reproduce it but I don't feel comfortable to irradiate myself. The geiger might be unable to measure what it is actually and if it is really burst many counts can be ignored.

If anything, I am sure this is due to pressure event in the reactor. Or this would be coincidence with probability 1:10^10 I guess. There was no delay between.

Few minutes ago there was spontaneous pressure spike followed by another gamma burst of same range, followed by temperature increase by few °C.

It is very slow, but temperature is still rising and also there are temperature changes not seen during calibration.

I mean temperature is steady or going down by 1°C for prolonged period and then for example after 30 minutes there is sudden increase and it stays at the level.

Although it is very small difference, I am now rather inclined there is excess heat. At 200W power I am getting readings from calibration at 180W or slightly better. So there is at least additional 20W coming out of this.

Since all 3 temperatures are higher than from calibration at the very same imput power and ambient temperature is same there must be something solid about it.

Radiation readings are at background.

I am at 180W now. The temperature is still rising. I can't say we have excess heat. But I can say the temperatures are higher beyond error than during calibration.

Temperature inside the core (heater temperature) is 675°C 677°C now. It should be 652°C or less which mean there is +23°C difference. At the outside, at the end of the shell temperature is 138°C and was 132°C during calibration.

Now I will wait for steady state. It still mean nothing and could be an error.

Radiation is monitored outside the cell in 2 meter vicinity from the reactor. This mean it passed through reactor which imply it was in range of 100s keV.

First update from the run. It is running just for 2 hours and the reactor is just slightly over 100°C. As far as I can tell, there is no excess heat.

But during one instance related to the pressure - I try to maintain constant pressure in the cell - there was clear burst of gamma radiation that correspond to over 2 times of background.

So many counts were never measured during normal circumstance. The readings returned within 10 seconds back to the background. This never happened earlier and I am convinced this is due to the pressure change as it happened exactly when pressure was increased by my intervention.

This is telling me the fuel is somehow active.

Next step is to increase the temperature.

Everything is prepared for Mizuno replication, first run.

To ensure best condition of the mesh I did the palladium rubbing today. BUT rubbing process was not smooth at all. It took few hours.

Palladium was too hard. And annealing (multiple times with slow cooldown) was of zero help. Finally after long time I was able to deposit recommended mass.

On the other hand I am afraid that grinding step with a sandpapers was useless because palladium rod completely changed surface. I was carefull to cover mesh completely so likely original surface was somehow damaged.

So it was actually quite shiny after applying palladium. So if it will fail, I fear this is due to this problem. I was measuring weight of Pd rod to make sure it is going well.

Anyway I dont know how to resolve the problem for future.

Mesh is inserted in the reactor and evacuation step is in process. Everything is connected, nothing more to do. Just to complete cleaning and open valve of Deuterium supply.

Keep you fingers crossed, on 8th I will start fueled run.

I believe my calibration is thorough, measurement and instruments solid.

I am proceeding exactly according Mizuno paper, with 3pcs Mesh of same specs.

If experiment will fail I will get data from EDX to learn where and if palladium was deposited properly as soon as possible.

Then repeat experiment with new set of meshes.

It would be nice to ask Rossi if he think his original E-Cat is similar with Mizuno reactor?

Maybe the only difference is that he is using Lithium not for reaction but for lowering pressure. Lithium will clean the chamber from impurities in the gas maybe.

And instead powder Mizuno have mesh. In this way Rossi do not have to use a vacuum pumps.