Terniac Member
  • Member since Aug 5th 2019
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Terniac

I have had several lab efforts for UDH over the past 6 years at three universities. I met with professor Holmlid at his lab in 2016. I have had my own positive results using a pulsed laser that from the University of Utah. I am a solid believer. Some years ago I met Sveinn at a vacuum equipment conference in San Jose. When I asked him what kind of particle detector was really needed?... He thought about it for a few moments and he said "CERN". haha l replied, I thought he was joking. But I don't think he was. There's something very interesting going on. I don't think it's scalable for energy production in the near future but obviously it needs serious research work! Mike Taggett

Great input. A laser, while there is a learning curve, my system was quite simple with one focusing lens, an optical flange window and I had a single axis manipulator so I could move the target laterally so as to be able to have a dozen or so fresh places on the target available without opening the chamber. My University student assistant, who was quite good with all things electronic was very helpful and we did have a charge detector but a 100 megahertz scope I don't believe is quite quick enough. We had an 18 volt negative bias and proper 50 ohm terminations and cabling.

Bottom line I think is, on a bare and fresh target (usually 316 SS x 1mm thick, in my case) there will be a particular signature from the plasma plume. LH says plume particles accelerate from keV range to MeV when RM (not sure) but for sure when UDD forms. This is what we were looking for but we didn't have the expertise to really dial in on it. What we learned was that the ablation of the stainless steel would slow down by 200% to 400% which is remarkable considering it's an invisible layer of hydrogen. Ablation only is not very sophisticated but shows something is happening but with better instrumentation, wouldn't the comparison of the bare target signal (keV) to the one that had the HX (MeV) conclusively show that some kind of new substance was on the metal? It can't be orange marmalade :) nothing else has been introduced to the system, it must be made of Hydrogen. A new state or phase of hydrogen is a huge deal as we all know. It would sure be nice to get a few more labs to write good papers on the formation of an HX. Mike

Hi all, I have done experimentation and research in this area for over 7 years. Many null results but some very promising results using a pulsed laser and monitoring ablation changes when the proposed dense hydrogen (deuterium) forms. I am an entrepreneur and machine builder, not a trained scientist but I have worked alongside several high-level PhD experimentalists in quality labs. I bring this point up to the handful of researchers in the area from time to time... While we certainly need to consider the theory of what could be happening as we move forward, the first step must be to definitively prove that a unique formation of hydrogen occurs (let's call it Hydrogen-X as a placeholder) HX. Shouldn't this be the principal goal, that the current research community in this field should prove that HX exists? The TOF results as well as ablation time increase, etc. shows that it can be made repeatedly but often there is no baseline to compare to. THEN, the field can move to the next step. I have personally visited over 20 University physics departments during the last 7 years, I can usually get the chair of the department to briefly read an abstract or two but they quickly dismiss it. "Why haven't we heard of this? It sounds sketchy" is the common response. "Well" I say, "you're reading about it now, take a deeper look". But all the data is confusing and extremely specialized. If HX is forming on the surface as RM or UDD on a metal this should be straightforward science to prove or disprove. Then the complex particle analysis can start taking place next.

What are your thoughts about the best way to prove that HX exists? We need the simple detector which is easier said than done. My 2 cents.. Mike