joshg Member
  • Member since Oct 11th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by joshg

I know that QM is the most accurate theory ever devised and has passed every test so far.

That claim is all bombast and propaganda. By the calculations of mainstream physics, about 95% percent of the universe is composed of mysterious dark matter/energy. In other words they have NO IDEA was 95% of the universe is made of. What amazing accuracy! If that counts as 'passing every test so far,' then I dear say they have set the bar too low.

The only reason that QM is "accurate" about some things is because contemporary physicists push equations to match data. If you are tailoring your equations to match your data, well then of course your equations are going to be accurate. Mainstream physics is far from accurate. In fact, they really have no idea how far off they are and how many mistakes have been built into their equations over the decades, which are then 'corrected' by post-hoc equations that are, again, tailored to fit the data. And if they can't figure out a way to bend the equations to fit the data, they simply invent new particles and/or new forces. Hell, with an empty vacuum full of virtual particles, physicists are now like

I only know of one theorist who has gone back to the fundamental postulates and equations of Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Lagrange, Planck, Boltzmann and many others to identify and fix their mistakes, while at the same time delivering a truly mechanical theory that is wholly compatible with the empirical results of QM. He has also solved the 'mystery' of dark matter/energy.

Whatkind of person is Murray? Murray worked for the deep state industrialsector, mainly on weapons testing.

Note also that IH has not disclosed Murray's CV as they are required to do for expert witnesses. This is one of Rossi's complaints in his motion to dismiss Murray's expert witness testimony. Although it's true that Murray worked for IH for a number of months, he was laid off in late 2016, so he's no longer an employee and was not working as such (as far as we know) during the lawsuit. Why are they so reluctant to provide information on his work background and scientific expertise? What are they trying to hide?

Earlier I said that IH doesn't have a case for spoliation because the destruction of evidence happened before the lawsuit was filed. But after reading their motion in document 264, and assuming that the Jones Day lawyers' reading of case law is correct, it seems that the spoliation claim hinges on the question of whether Rossi should have reasonably anticipated litigation.

Given all the angry letters going back and forth between Rossi, IH and their lawyers leading up to the end of the test, it seems to reasonable to me that Rossi should have anticipated litigation. But it's hard to say how Rossi's legal team will counter that argument and how the magistrate will rule. But my impression is that IH has a good case with respect to destruction of the heat exchanger.

As for Fabiani and Penon's destruction of e-mails and other e-documents: assuming Vaughn's statement (264-15) about the meeting between Fabiani and IH's lawyers on March 18, 2016 is correct, then Fabiani should clearly have been anticipating a lawsuit. In fact he appears to have sealed his fate as counter-defendant by not handing over everything he had. However, I don't think a spoliation finding for him will be critical for the case, since his data are not the key point of dispute. It is Penon's spoliation that would be much more crucial, and I haven't seen any evidence that Penon would have reasonably expected litigation. That might very well be the case and seems reasonable, but I didn't see any evidence for it, so I don't think IH will prevail on that point.

I do find it a bit absurd that IH is trying to bar any of Penon's measurement data as 'hearsay' evidence, since those data are so critical for the outcome of the case. I understand their rationale as a matter of legal tactics, but I still find it absurd.

josh. it's not inconsistent. You don't realise the extent to which smart tech types tend not to believe deceit possible form tech colleagues, but are very willing to reckon Murphy's Law applies and weird things are something they have done wrong.

That is the right attitude all the time - except when dealing with a Rossi.

No, if they were competent then they should have done proper calorimetry from the get-go.

the reason [Dewey] is so hard on a few posters here is because he wholeheartedly believes they are bad news for LENR

Nope, sorry. Dewey was a dick rude to people from the moment he first stepped foot into the LENR blogosphere and before he started posting here. It had nothing to do with what people were saying about IH. I think it's just the kind of person he is.

Rossi filed the lawsuit before the payment was due, by a few days.

No, IH had a contractural duty to pay him some number of days after they received the ERV report (don't remember but it was something like 5 days). He filed his suit the day after the period for IH to pay him had passed. Yes the lawyers were talking smack before that, but I believe that if IH's lawyers did not directly tell Rossi not to destroy anything in anticipation of a law suit, then he had no legal duty to do refrain from doing so. In fact I'm not even sure what his duty would have been even if IH's lawyers had contacted him. But the data spoliation issue is a big question mark for me.

Rossi filed the lawsuit BEFORE he removed all the equipment to my understanding, so he knew it was legal evidence.

I don't think this is correct. Rossi's initial complaint was filed on April 5, 2016. The test finished up in late February, and he has testified that he dismantled the heat exchanger soon after the test was completed. So he had a little over a month to dismantle the exchanger before IH failed to pay and well over a month before the lawsuit was filed. You could make an argument that dismantling without documenting its existence was stupid, but I don't think you can say it was destruction of evidence since there was no legal filing at that point. It has been obvious to me from the beginning that this spoliation claim has no legs. As for the destruction of data, I'm not so sure. My sense is that the spoliation claims will be rejected, and the case will proceed to trial.

IHFB,

IH's bringing potential investors to Doral, even after TD/Vaughn developed strong concerns that Rossi may be up to something bad, has always been a weak link in their defense that I did not see them adequately address in their testimony. Rossi has been hammering on that since the beginning.

I can't find it right now, but in one of the recent filings there is a selection from JT Vaughn's deposition. In it, he is asked about a powerpoint presentation in an e-mail attachment from something like September 2015. This was after Murray had been rebuffed and they had presumably lost faith in Rossi. The attachment is a powerpoint that had been prepared by IH for a presentation to Chinese investors (presumably in China). In it they say they were able to get (IIRC) 30-40 x COP. Did anyone else come across that part? I can't seem to find it now...

the model is based on a "background energy" view of the universe with waves (and particles) as "fluctuations" in background energy.

Yes, please keep reading his work, I think there are some interesting points of overlap between your theories. For example your 'background energy' view of the universe is in some respects similar to his charge field theory (for him the charge field is sort of like an aether, except that it is made of physical particles that have real presence; there is nothing virtual about them).

You write on your website that "Background energy theory is that space is permeated by electro-magnetic wave energy." Well for Mathis, the charge field is simply composed of photons (except that his photons have mass; they are not massless point particles), so in a very real sense he also argues that space is permeated by electro-magnetic energy, in the form of photons. He has also shown that dark matter/energy is simply these charge field photons.

I wouldn't say that he started with the assumption of a fundamental particle. It was more like something he has deduced.

Cheers!

He and Penon did not respond to Murray's letter. I do not know what his response was in person. I never went to the Florida facility or met with Rossi. I don't know, but I have heard that he sometimes brought the discussion to a quick end by claiming the reactor was about to explode. People who have worked with him tell me that he often simply refuses to answer questions. He meets objections with silence. I do not think he answered any of Murray's questions in his blog. He came up with the imaginary heat exchanger recently, in response to the lawsuit.

Jed, thanks for taking the time to answer. To your observation that all he had to do to get the 89m was to show them the heat exchanger, I will add the absurdity that Rossi is extremely tight-lipped about whatever 'process' was allegedly going on over at JMP. He says he is protecting a trade secret or something to that effect. But it appears to be HIS trade secret, and his case would be much stronger if he was willing to provide more details about what was supposedly going on over there. So he is gambling 89m and going down in the history books (in a good way) on his desire to keep his trade secrets. Obviously the only trade secret he has is that there was nothing going on over there.

As I said before, this issue of 1 MW making the building too hot came up again, and again, and again during the test. Many people said this was a problem, including me. Rossi could have resolved it instantly just by taking the visitors out in front of the building and pointing to the fans in the window. Even if there was not 1 MW of power, but only ~100 kW, he could easily have proved this by allowing the I.H. experts to do conventional HVAC air-flow calorimetry in the mezzanine. I.H. would have happily paid him for 100 kW.

Jed, you seem to be saying that Rossi was told repeatedly throughout the test that there was a problem with heat dissipation. He could have responded by showing IH the heat exchanger, but didn't. So what did he say to people when they told him this was a problem? Did he just ignore them? Did he tell them it wasn't a problem? I'm trying to envision the scenario you're laying out where people are bringing up this issue with Rossi again and again and again. What was his response?

By the time of ICCF-19 (April 2015) when Darden made his 'trust only us, get funded by us, listen to no-one else but us' speech IH had Dennis Letts onboard. I met him there, and he said so.

Yes, I believe they had already acquired an interest in many technologies by then, including Letts's. What I'm saying is that it wasn't until they hired Murray in May/June 2015 that they started testing those things in earnest (including the Lugano-style reactor). You can read Murray's deposition to get the details.

Darden's strategy is clear: taking money from investors in order to keep them!

Yes, thank you for digging up some of the deposition statements that led me to the same conclusion. I was too lazy to go back through them. We know from the depositions that May/June of 2015 (after they got the Woodford money AFAIK) is when they hired Murray to assemble an engineering team to test all the technologies they had acquired. So if you wanted to give Darden the benefit of the doubt, you could say that he took Woodford's money to use towards testing other LENR tech, even if he knew that Rossi was totally bogus. He still lied through his teeth to get their money, though.

And we must wonder why he waited so long to hire better engineers. JedRothwell tells us that IH already had good people working there, but from the depositions it seems the best they had was Dameron, and Murray doesn't hold Dameron in high regard. In other testimony we even get the impression that JT himself was in charge of testing some of the dogbone reactors. So as far as I can tell, the people working at IH prior to that were not up to snuff. Unless Jed is referring to somebody I/we haven't heard about.

ERV Final report starts Feb 23 .... but there are earlier emails about bringing the system up. So at MOST a 10-day window to instal the "heat exchanger"?

They could have installed the heat exchanger in the weeks prior but waited to remove the glass until just before starting the test. So I don't think the BING pictures are close enough to the date to count as evidence of reflection during the test. But there are now at least two from Google that do show a reflection.

Changed my mind: I thought that A2 was behind the tree (in old shots) north of the window I now think is A2.

Edit : this is the gmap I'm using : https://www.google.com/maps/@2…6,73m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I figured it out by looking at Wong's A1 picture. You can see the workmen working on the window that Wong shows in A1. Notice that the window just to the left juts out a little from the wall. That is because it is over the entrance, which also juts out from the wall. So the venting window was the one next to the entrance, not the the one behind the tree:

The one (and only) photo that shows something like a reflection in the two left panes of the window at issue is special.

Could you please clarify what you think is special about it?

Also, if I follow the implications of what you're saying, it means that the google street view image of Rossi's window was edited/altered after it was taken to show a reflection, when in fact there should have been none in the left two panes. Is that your position? I won't call you crazy for suggesting such a thing, since I don't think we can rule it out 100%. As Bob Greenyer has said, "We cannot underestimate the forces aligned against" LENR. Nevertheless this strikes me as a rather far-fetched proposition, one that I myself am not comfortable accepting at the moment. But perhaps I'm putting words in your mouth.