JedRothwell Verified User
  • Member since Oct 11th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by JedRothwell

Sure, if you wanted to delay the installation by a decade.

This not up to me. It is not up to Rossi, or the customer. This is how our laws work. This is how society is run in the 21st century. The public demands a high level of assurance that new technology will be safe.

You cannot simply ignore laws and regulations. You will get into deep trouble, with the police, with regulators, and with lawsuits from the people living nearby.

All the client has to do is assure himself that it is reasonably safe. You think you are the only one capable of doing that? He can't lose much money as he is only paying for delivered heat.

Do you seriously think the client would defy the laws? The client would face instant ruin from lawsuits, if not a prison sentence. Do you know any licensed engineer who would casually break the law, with the certain knowledge that he will lose his license at least, and end up in prison at worst? No executive or president would casually okay a measure save 20% on heat, knowing that the company will certainly face billions of dollars in lawsuits as a result.

Do you have any notion of what would happen when the police, the people living nearby, and the mass media found out???

Do you think Boeing would fly ordinary members of the public in untested prototype airplanes? Or that Toyota, Google or Uber would start selling self-driving cars to anyone who wants to try one? Do you think the government would let them do that, or it wouldn't notice? The newspapers wouldn't hear about it?

You still not come up with a plausible example of how the 10 kW SK might be dangerous.

1. You are talking about 40 MW, not 10 kW. That's 4,000 times bigger.

2. You -- and Rossi -- have no idea whether a 100 W SK might be dangerous. Rossi has not exposed rats and other test species to long exposures to the thing. He couldn't have; he just finished invented it! According to him, and you.

Rossi claimed that his previous reactors often went out of control. He just finished this one, so how does he know it will not also go out of control? How many hours of testing did he do with previous devices before they went out of control? (Actually, nothing went out of control. He was lying, to bring fake demonstrations to an abrupt end, but let's pretend he was telling the truth.)

Assuming the energy is real -- which I do not believe for one second -- you and Rossi have no idea where it is coming from. The most likely source is a nuclear reaction. You deny that, and evade the issue, but you will not say where you think it is coming from, so nuclear it must be. If you think it is impossible that a 40 MW unknown nuclear reaction (or zero point energy, or what-have-you) might be dangerous, or a 10 kW one for that matter, and if you think it is perfectly okay to run such a reaction in a populated area, you are flat out crazy. I don't think you actually believe that. If Rossi were to install one of these things near your house, and you thought it was actually producing heat out of nowhere, I suppose you would object.

You have said that a 40 MW reactor is "not dangerous" but you also claim to have extensive experience with industrial scale equipment, so you cannot meant that. You would be like a Air Force pilot saying any amateur can fly an F15 figher jet: there's nothing to it; just hop aboard and start pushing buttons. The notion that a 40 MW heater of any type does not need inspections, certificates, or testing is utter lunacy. Especially coming from someone who claims to know about such large, inherently dangerous machines. Even if the thing were a new type of combustion reactor, it would lunacy to run it without tests.

Corporations are not keen to ever get the government involved, I doubt they would inform the government of early trials.

So, you think they would knowingly violate dozens of state and Federal laws? And risk a catastrophic accident? They would surely be sued by people in the surrounding area once it became known they were doing this, probably for ruinous sums of money. Even if years later the machine was shown to be safe, they would face lawsuits now.

Why do you think the individual managers would be willing to take enormous personal risks, just to save the company 20% on the cost of heat? Would you do that?

You think you know how corporations work, but you don't.

I think you are the one who does not know how corporations work. Or how ordinary people work. No one risks personal ruin and prison sentence to save his company 20% on heat.

Rossi's supposed strategy of just releasing it to commercial customers is an absolutely absurd proposition, which can only be believed by a completely delusional or technically ignorant person.

Yes. If the SK were a laboratory bench experimental device that produces a few watts, it would make sense to release it to commercial customers. They would evaluate it, and begin planning ways to commercialize it. They would begin negotiating with Rossi for commercial deals. This is similar to the way AT&T sold the first transistors to big companies, and sent samples to Los Alamos and other leading labs.

That would be a conventional approach with a newly discovered, patented device.

Building and installing kilowatt and megawatt scale devices would be a crazy strategy, violating common sense, countless regulations, and running tremendous risks with no benefit. No sane company managers would do it. Perhaps you could find some kooky person with a private company who would do this, but as soon as the authorities found out, all hell would break loose.

Of course it will have been tested and the client may even want to view a test.

Gee, do you you think they may even want to view a test? May even??? Again, what planet do you come from? Here is a partial list of others who may even want to view a test. No, actually "may want" is the wrong word. They will demand to see thousand hours of tests conducted by independent agencies, and hundreds of thousands of pages of documentation. That is their job. Anyone who installs equipment that has not gone through these steps will end up in prison.

Every Federal and State safety and regulation agency in the U.S., starting with the NRC.

The ASME, which writes all of the Federal and state regulations.

Every national laboratory and military laboratory on earth.

Every major university laboratory. No one will allow the use of this device until mainstream academic scientists are sure they understand how it works, and what the theory is.

Every insurance company, presumably through U.L. No one will be able to insure one of these things until the insurance companies give them a green light. That will not happen until the academic scientists, the NRC, the ASME and the others do their jobs. These jobs are not optional. They are mandated by laws.

Every potential customer. A customer who does not do this, and which does not wait for all of the above agencies and institutions to do their jobs, would risk catastrophic lawsuits and expenses high enough to bankrupt any company, the way the Fukushima disaster bankrupted Tokyo Electric Power Company. That was the largest and was the most wealthy power company on earth. A company is not going to risk bankruptcy and to save 20% on the cost of heat. Individual employees and corporate managers are not going to destroy their careers and run the risk of prison sentences to save 20% on the cost of heat. And why should they? There is no point to it. Installing and operating one of these machines would prove nothing and accomplish nothing that you cannot do better with a 100 W laboratory device.

In any case, I am sure the 40 MW machines do not exist. I am sure the 1 MW machine did not exist. It was fake. You would see that if you read Rossi's own report, but you will not read it, so you will go on with your delusions.

The government wouldn't even know that Rossi had installed a p;ant to supply heat for months afterit started.

Only a large factory run by a major corporation would need 40 MW of heat. Are you seriously suggesting that a major corporation would install and operate a thing like this without informing state and local officials? Without getting a certificate? On what planet would that happen? As soon as the public found out, everyone responsible would be arrested, and the entire top management would be forced out. It would be one of the biggest scandals in corporate history.

If it was working successfully do you really think they would shut it down?

Yes. Emphatically. A 40 MW reactor that operates by unknown principles, that has never been safety tested, and has no regulations or license would definitely be shut down. Not only that, but the entire area would be evacuated, with hundreds of police cars and fire trucks, as a precaution.

Also, as I said, the NRC would definitely want a say in the matter. You seem to deny this is a nuclear reactor, although you have not said where the energy might be coming from. Any technically knowledgeable person would assume it must be nuclear, since there is no chemical fuel and no chemical reactions. You apparently think the NRC would roll over and play dead, but is not how Federal agencies usually act. See what I wrote previously:

Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

Obviously they would measure the radiation level and not rely on Rossi's word. Insane to think otherwise.

That's the least they would do! You cannot operate equipment without a certificate in any state, and there are no procedures in place to issue a certificate for this machine. You can't even operate an elevator without inspections and a safety certificate.

This is the 21st century, not 1600. The public will not allow the reckless operation of large-scale unknown technology in a populated area. For that matter, after one unexplained explosion, Hokkaido University banned all cold fusion research, on any scale.

Sure, It may be possible “IF” cold fusion is ever brought to the same functional safe reliable and inexpensive status as your existing power supplier.

Yes. Obviously, if cold fusion is not perfected, this will not happen. That goes without saying. Meaning, it is so obvious, and everyone here knows it so well, you didn't even need to say it. Why bother? Do you think I am unaware of the technical challenges that prevent the use of cold fusion today? Do you imagine you are telling the audience here something it does not know?

If cold fusion can be controlled it is likely to be about 10 times cheaper than any other source of energy, and ultimately thousands of times cheaper. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusionb.pdf

The idea has merit, but once costs and application engineering expertise are brought into the discussion, dc power for commercial/industrial uses dies a quick death.

Spoken like a person stuck in the eternal present. You should realize that conditions change; technology changes, and that which would die a quick death in one era -- and that which is flat out impossible -- is commercially unstoppable in the next. See, for example, electricity, automobiles, air transport, computers and the internet.

You have to understand, Clarke was talking about the future, not the present. He thought a lot about the future, as do I. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreviewofpr.pdf

(He thought about the past, as well, as you see from the photo of his pet Tyrannosaurus rex.)

Pix improved. Text still needs work.

Pix of me, I regret to say. It shows the scale, anyway.

Going through the process, I saw "tip", thinking that would be for Mizuno.

Yeah, that threw me. The computer wanted me to make it a $150 tip! I thought that was impudent. I had some difficulty setting it to zero.

(Actually, I thought "that's impudent" in Samurai-style Japanese, which is the best way to express that thought: "Zuzushii yatsu da! Usero!" ("Impudent hound! Vanish from my sight! [Lit.: make yourself scarce.]" It is worth learning Japanese just for the insults, which are nonpareil.)

Gofundme does not serve Japan, but we are doing a work-around. Probably I will collect the money and wire-transfer it. This is taking some time because things are still chaotic in Sapporo and there is 13-hour time difference. I am waiting for photos from Mizuno.

People who know about these things tell me Gofundme is better than individual contributions via Paypal because other people will see how much is given.

I will post a message here when this is set up.

No one suggested it will happen anytime soon. However, data centers are already buy DC capacity, or they generate it directly. That may be more popular as HVDC distribution becomes more widespread. Arthur Clarke was talking about the future when houses generate their own electricity with cold fusion. He suggested it would make more sense to generate DC. By the time this happens, machines will be available for it. Computers and other digital equipment could easily be adapted. Power supplies for portable computers already work seamlessly with European, U.S. and Japanese power.

In my book, I discuss how the demand for electricity is likely to fall with cold fusion, with direct heat used instead for many applications such as refrigeration or clothes drying.

Dennis Cravens told me that Gofundme charges 5% overhead, so Paypal is a better deal. We will ask Mizuno to open a Paypal account. I asked him to provide some photos of the damage, so I can upload an appropriate sob story.

(I guess you need a sob story for Gofundme? No idea, really.)

Anyway, I will report back when things jell.

(There should be enough space, as Japans population is shrinking rapidly!!)

There is tons of space in Japan, and there always has been. I know people who rent houses with acres of land for $100 a month. I sometimes go hiking on roads where you don't see a person or a car all morning, and if you wander off into the woods, you might get eaten by a wild boar. In August, a two-year old child wandered off into the woods near where I hike. It took 380 people three days to find him. He wasn't far, but those are thick woods. Some elderly people have gone into them and were never seen again.

The child was found by a very resourceful 78-year-old guy named Haruo Obata, who is now a national hero, justifiably so. The guy is a live wire.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia…shiki-fujimoto-lost-woods

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201808160020.html

The population is not shrinking rapidly. It is shrinking at 0.23% per year. But if present trends continue it will shrink more rapidly in the future.

http://www.worldometers.info/w…ulation/japan-population/

As far as I know, no one has seen strange radiation form a QX or SK reactor.

So, based on "as far as Adrian Ashfield knows" you think it would be perfectly okay to install a 40 MW nuclear reactor without any safety testing, licensing or inspections. Because you are an engineer, and that's as far as you know. And because Rossi told you he has a piece of paper.

Do I have that right? Do you think the authorities will go along with that?

Cold fusion researcher Tadahiko Mizuno is in Sapporo, which was hit by a large earthquake last week. He reports that the building his lab is in was severely damaged by last week's earthquake. The whole building appears to be leaning somewhat, about 5 cm by the 7th floor. The emergency exit staircase is severely damaged.

His equipment was damaged as well. Two PCs are broken, and the electron microscope is probably beyond repair.

He estimates this will take $20,000 to $30,000 to repair and replace equipment, and probably to move to another location. I do not think he has that kind of money. He says he cannot see how he will continue. This might be "checkmate" is how he put it (using the English word).

My understanding is that method works for long distance high power lines, but not for stepped down local network of 10 to 50 miles. Maybe I have that wrong.

Of course these high voltage DC lines are extremely dangerous. They would kill you instantly. Safety it not one of their advantages. DC is safer than AC at the power levels used at home. It is safer for various reasons. I read that the main reason is that it is less likely to stop the heart.

In the same time period that Nikola Tesla was wiring up the world with alternating current, Thomas Edison was frying elephants with alternating current to prove to the world that it was incredibly dangerous. Somehow, Nikola Tesla managed to change the world and we all use AC .

The fact remains that AC is much more dangerous than DC. AC is necessary because electricity must be transmitted over long distances. However, as Arthur Clarke pointed out, if cold fusion generators become available, DC will be a much better choice. At the same power levels it is far less likely to electrocute a person.

I think that the best route to take is to admit that there could be some risk, but compared to even traditional devices (such as gas tanks) they are minimal.

Minimal or maximal, admit it or deny it, the authorities will not allow this until is is proven safe. You don't get product certification because you "admit" something, or because you have an attitude, or an opinion. Or because some anonymous person named "Axil" or "Director" on the Internet has a theory. It doesn't work that way. An independent testing agency and or a company has to do extensive testing, including stress testing and test-to-failure (similar to crash testing). You have to have thousand of hours and thousand of pages of test results. The ASME has to write large books full of specifications and tables which boiler inspectors and others must then use as a guide. I say they must. That's not a choice. It is not an option. If inspectors don't do that, they will lose their license at least, and possibly end up in prison. They are not going to look at a reactor and say: "well, this is not covered by any regs in my book; there are no procedures to ensure safety, so I guess you can operate it all you like. You don't need a certificate." That's actually the opposite of what any sane inspector would say.

This is the 21st century, not 1650. You can't just go around operating potentially dangerous untested machines in populated areas. Actually, you couldn't do that in 1650 in London either -- they had laws regulating boilers back then. You sure as heck could not do it anytime after the ASME was established in 1880, when state governments started writing ASME specifications into regulations. Such as:

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/D…tWEBEffective04102016.pdf

"Where are the boiler Administrative Rules (regulations)?

In 1989, rules were written and adopted to regulate boilers in the state. The Boiler Safety Rules are found under Chapter 69A-51, Florida Administrative Code. They include definitions, codes adopted, administration, requirements for new and existing installations, among other topics. The ASME Heating and Power Boiler Codes, ASME CSD-1 (Controls for Automatically Fired Boilers), and the National Boiler and Inspection Codes have all been adopted under this rule."

(This was not first done in 1989. That was the date this law was revised.)

That is the sort of thing the regulations say, in every state, in every country on earth. It has been that way for over a century, and it not going to change because Rossi or A.A. says, "we don't have to follow any laws we disagree with." Try driving at 90 mph on the highway and see if the police let you off because you don't agree with the traffic laws. Try telling them: "I'm an engineer, and I am sure this is safe."