JedRothwell Verified User
  • Member since Oct 11th 2014

Posts by JedRothwell

I think they have already taken far too much time, and too much money.

Multiply "too much money" by several million dollars for Randall Mills at Blacklight Power, or whatever it is he calls the company these days. For the last 20 years I have had no idea what his experiments were supposed to be demonstrating. You might say that I am not expert enough to grasp these esoteric claims. True enough! I am not expert enough. But that's the whole point. They should be able to devise an experiment that I can understand.

Why me? Why should Mills care what I can understand? Because I understand a reasonable amount about physics and calorimetry. I am a good stand-in for your typical venture capitalist or investor with a technical background and an undergraduate education in physics. If I have no clue what Mills is doing, neither will most investors. Whatever the hell he is trying to demonstrate, I am sure it could be done in ways that I could grasp, using classical 19th century measurement techniques. The claims are that macroscopic energy levels are being generated. Not just individual nuclear reactions. Macroscopic energy can always be measured when reaches the end stage of waste heat, which entropy says it must do. However exotic it is in creation, all energy ends up as waste heat. You just have to contain it.

I would probably not know how to evaluate a claim that Mills is detecting individual nuclear reactions. I could not evaluate Russ George's claims about gamma rays. Although as far as I know, experts do not usually describe gamma rays with the metrics applied to chorus line dancing.

Scientific criticism and peer review are an essential part of the process.

I think the most essential thing in this instance is an independent replication. Independent replication is less important with other experiments. I mean other experiments from "mainstream" cold fusion, which are similar to previous work. A person replicating excess heat in bulk palladium is replicating the original F&P experiment, and also the many follow-up replications of it. So that result can be believed. But the Brillouin techniques and results are quite different from most other cold fusion experiments, so I think they must be independently replicated before we can be confident they are real.

That does not mean we should ignore these results, dismiss them. Any result endorsed by people such as Tanzella and Claytor has a lot of credibility!

Just give Brillouin more time, I suggest, to answer these questions

I think they have already taken far too much time, and too much money. They need to focus on essentials. As Wilbur Wright said in 1912:

"When the detailed story is written of the means by which success in human flight was finally attained, it will be seen that this success was not won by spending more time than others had spent, nor by taking greater risks than others had taken.

Those who failed for lack of time had already used more time than was necessary; those who failed for lack of money had already spent more money than was necessary; and those who were cut off by accident had previously enjoyed as many lucky escapes as reasonably could be expected."

To put it the other way, the people at Brillouin need to stop farting around with non-essentials, such as trying to make a commercially useful prototype. Just demonstrate the effect at 10 W and they can get a billion dollars overnight.

Brillouin still needs to get funding out of these results, however good they are.

In my opinion, they could get all the funding in the world, if the would only act rationally, and do a clear, irrefutable laboratory scale demonstration of excess heat. Everything else they have done is a distraction, and a waste of time and effort.

I know David Firshein is hard at work trying to pitch this to investors.

Doing everything but what is needed, as I say. Perhaps behind the scenes they are doing the right things, but putting the right things behind the scenes and out of view is itself a huge mistake. That is one of the mistakes the Wrights made from 1905 to 1908. They almost lost their edge and almost lost getting the credit for their invention by keeping things under wraps. See:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJthewrightb.pdf

Many others have made this mistake in the history of science and technology.

No evidence for that! No government has asked for (and volunteered to pay for) for the tweaked versions yet - because they think the original works well enough. It costs.

I read in the New York Times (I think it was) that the industry people and the governments discussed the option of making a new vaccine better targeted to the latest variants. They decided not to, because it would interrupt production, and they decided that it would save more lives to produce lots more of the present vaccine than a smaller number of somewhat more effective vaccines.

Maybe the decision was actually about money, but that's not what they said.

I cannot judge whether this strategy would actually save more lives, but at the time of the decision, the third world was severely lacking in vaccines, especially India. India has since vaccinated ~70% of the population, which drove both infections and deaths way down . . . so perhaps the strategy worked?

India: the latest coronavirus counts, charts and maps
    Tracking the COVID-19 outbreak, updated daily
    graphics.reuters.com

Solar? I Imagine it would be nice to have a solar panel to keep the starter battery charged up if your CMNS energy unit is not in use for a while.

I do not think that would be necessary. A cold fusion generator might need a stand-by battery to start up. Or perhaps a supercapacitor. However, if the battery charge dropped, the device could turn on for a while to recharge it. It would be a good idea to run the generator from time to time anyway, especially if it is mechanical. A thermoelectric generator might be left for months without running.

It would not be the first time a dead-end technology suddenly comes back to life. Wind turbines are perhaps the most dramatic example of that in the last 100 years.

Using remote computer resources is another dramatic example. This was called timesharing in the 1970s. (Timesharing also meant multiuser, multitasking mainframe and minicomputers, but I mean computers connected by telephone.) In the early 80s it was considered passé because computers were so cheap. The idea came roaring back to life with high speed internet connections. Nowadays many companies sell both computing services and on-line cloud storage.

See:

Timesharing as a Business - CHM Revolution

Here is an interesting proposal from NREL. They suggest that concentrated solar can be used to generate hydrogen using perovskite materials. As we have discussed here, concentrated solar has lost the competition with PV solar and wind, so it does not seem to have much of a future in energy generation. I do not think hydrogen has much of a future either. But it may be that combining two obsolescent technologies together produces a new approach that can compete. It would not be the first time a dead-end technology suddenly comes back to life. Wind turbines are perhaps the most dramatic example of that in the last 100 years. I think most people assumed they were obsolete until the 1990s.

See:

NREL advances green hydrogen production method
    Perovskite materials may hold the potential to play an important role in a process to produce hydrogen in a renewable manner, according to an analysis from…
    www.renewableenergyworld.com

Didn't you agree with the knucklehead experts who said adverse events were a sign that vaccines are working?

Some adverse events, such as soreness of the arm or a low fever, are a sign that the vaccines are working. This is true of all vaccines. It has been common knowledge for centuries. What is your point? Did you not know that?

See, for example:

Side Effects of COVID-19 Vaccines
    COVID-19 vaccines are safe, and getting vaccinated will help protect you against developing severe COVID-19 disease and dying from COVID-19. You may experience…
    www.who.int

Why it’s normal to have mild side effects from vaccines

Vaccines are designed to give you immunity without the dangers of getting the disease. It’s common to experience some mild-to-moderate side effects when receiving vaccinations. This is because your immune system is instructing your body to react in certain ways: it increases blood flow so more immune cells can circulate, and it raises your body temperature in order to kill the virus.

Are you implying that the non counting in the two week period following vaccination is par for the course for other vaccines?

Yes. Do your homework, learn something about vaccinations, and you will see this is the case. This is widely known. It was taught in grade school in the 1960s.

Do you recall being vaccinated for anything lately? Do you not remember that the doctor warned you it would not protect you for a few weeks?

When you are not vaccinated, it takes a week or two for the immune reaction to occur, and for antibodies to be produced in large numbers. That is why it takes a week or two for you to recover from a mild infectious disease, such as a cold, influenza, or a mild case of COVID. You do not get better within hours of being infected because your "natural immunity" takes weeks to react. With a vaccine, your immune system has already reacted, and it is ready to fight off the infection. Either you are not infected at all, or the infection goes away in a few days.

We should remember that the counting method has been rigged to make the vaccines look better.

No, they are not a bit rigged. Anyone who has read about them understands why the numbers are presented this way.

Those dying within two weeks of their vaccine are put in the previous category.

Obviously because it takes two weeks for the vaccines to work. It take two weeks for any vaccine to work. Every time you get one, the doctor or nurse tells you this.

Coal fired electricity is more expensive than a simple analysis shows because coal has lingering add-on costs for the power company. I do not mean the cost of global warming, or the ill health and 20,000 annual deaths from coal smoke. The power companies do not pay for any of that. I think one of the biggest add-on costs is for coal ash retention ponds. They cause damage, and they are expensive to remediate. It is costing Georgia Power $9 billion to clean them up. Local people are suing the power companies, saying they are not doing enough. This was in the news today in Atlanta:

Georgia coal ash fights hit pivotal point in metro Atlanta and beyond

GDPR Support

People say that disposing used turbine blades from wind turbines may become a problem. It might cost a lot to bury them or recycle them. However, I think the mass of coal ash is far greater, and coal ash is more toxic. Here is an estimate that 130 million tons of coal ash were generated in 2014:

Coal Ash Basics | US EPA
    Coal ash, also referred to as Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR), is the material produced primarily from the burning of coal in coal-fired power plants.
    www.epa.gov

Fortunately, the use of coal is declining rapidly.

I think you are jumping the gun they are investigating these adverse events but have not ruled out the vaccine. I also don't think blindness is minor adverse event!

I am sure they have ruled them out. There would be an announcement otherwise. All of the adverse events that might be caused by COVID have been reported as such. That includes serious adverse events such as blood clots, and expected, minor events such as a low fever.

Obviously, blindness is not a minor event, but it was not caused by the vaccine. Death is not a minor event. Thousands of people have died with days of getting the vaccine. However, none of them died because of the vaccine. It was a coincidence. The number who died was no larger than a control group of people who did not get the vaccine prior to 2020.

There is some confusion because the number of people per capita who die after a COVID vaccine is much larger than the number of people who die after getting a polio vaccine. That is because polio vaccines are given to small children. They are healthy. They die at the rate of 13.7 per 100,000 per year. The COVID vaccines have not been given to small children. On the contrary, the largest group they were given to is elderly adults. They die at the rate 4,997.0 per 100,000 per year, 365 times higher.

Children:

FastStats
    FastStats is an official application from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and puts access…
    www.cdc.gov

Adults:

FastStats
    FastStats is an official application from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and puts access…
    www.cdc.gov

You have compare similar age groups and similar levels of comorbidities to establish whether the number dying after COVID vaccines is higher than other vaccines -- or higher than no vaccine at all in a normal year. This is not a normal year. People getting no COVID vaccine since 2020 are dying at much higher rates than people vaccinated for COVID, as you see in this data from Northern Ireland:

No elevated number of events or deaths has been found for the COVID vaccines. No clinically plausible connection has been found except for a small number of blood clots with one type and the transient heart problems. These are so exceedingly rare they did not produce a statistically significant increase in serious adverse events or death.

I take that back. Some sources say these events are very rare in young people, so they were statistically significant in that age group. Not in the general population.

Needless to say, blood clots are a far more likely to be caused by COVID than by the vaccines.

they have reported it. It's been added to adverse events

Yes of course. If they had not been reported, we wouldn't know about them. However, what I meant was, these adverse events have been investigated and shown to be coincidental. Not caused by the vaccine.

With any vaccine, the number of coincidental adverse effects and deaths far exceeds the number of effects caused by the vaccine. It can be difficult to establish causality. This is done mainly by two methods. First, you look for an elevated number of adverse events compared to a control group. Second, you look for some sort of plausible medical connection between the vaccine and the event. Both of these steps have been taken. No elevated number of events or deaths has been found for the COVID vaccines. No clinically plausible connection has been found except for a small number of blood clots with one type and the transient heart problems. These are so exceedingly rare they did not produce a statistically significant increase in serious adverse events or death. Even though they did not, the doctors found the problems and confirmed them anyway, using the latter method (the medical connection). So, both methods work, which should give you confidence.

There is no doubt that if a significant number of people suffered serious adverse events or deaths, an anomalous increase in deaths would show up in the statistics (method 1). That is reliable. The numbers are carefully monitored, and there are many good control groups from the years before the pandemic. You have to have a control group for each age group and for various comorbidities. Such data has been collected in the U.S., Europe and Japan. All those years of squirreling away medical data has paid off!

Of course there are mild adverse events, noted in the handout they give you with the vaccination, such as a sore arm, a slight fever, or just feeling bad for a few days. Many vaccines produce such effects. Doctors and patients have been more conscientious reporting these for the COVID vaccines than for other types such as zoster. The zoster vaccine knocked me on my butt twice. I spent most of the day in bed with a fever both times. But I did not bother reporting it because the handout with the vaccine said that often happens, so I didn't worry about it. If the COVID vaccine had done that I might have reported it.

The half-life of problems from the COVID vaccines for a given age group is the same as the half-life for zoster and influenza vaccines, which indicates it is not producing anomalously high side effects. The number of deaths for all three vaccines among people age 65 and over is far lower than the background deaths for this age group. See:

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2202/2202.04204.pdf

That of course is why dealing with AGW will cost us 10X - as a planet - more than it should.

Probably. What is worse, from an economic point of view, is that dealing with AGW (Anthropogenic global warming) properly would not cost anything. On the contrary, done right it would be profitable. It resembles the energy crisis. That is, the lack of cheap, abundant energy that began in the 1970s. In recent decades that was dealt with properly, meaning we invented non-polluting, renewable sources of energy that cost much less than the ones we had in the 1970s, especially wind and solar. All of the sources of global warming CO2 could be fixed without costing anyone any money. It would save people money instead. People would want to do what is needed. They would be happy to pay what it costs, because it would save them money and improve their lives.

The most widespread example is illumination. In the first world, we can greatly reduce CO2 and save everyone lots of money by using LED lights instead of incandescent ones. These last 30 times longer, so the cost per bulb is much lower. They consume about 5 times less energy. As one expert put it, they are not a free lunch; they are a lunch you are paid to eat. In the third world many people have no effective lighting. They use kerosene, which is bad for your health and costs far more per lumen. When they get solar panels and LED lights, they are thrilled. It is a tremendous benefit to them, and to the rest of us.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The newest kick in the nuts from mRNA vaccines is people are developing a sensitivity to light at alarming rates.

No doubt the rates are exactly the same as a control group that did not get mRNA vaccines. If that were not so, the CDC and other public health agencies would have taken note of this effect, and reported it. They keep no secrets.

With all the links given here to testimonies from people injured by Covid vaccines, Jed just doesn't care to look.

That is incorrect. I have looked. "Testimonies" mean nothing. People get sick every day without knowing the cause. Doctors are often unable to diagnose the reasons. People who have been vaccinated are not dying, or getting conventionally ill (for known reasons), or mysteriously ill any more than a control population of people who were not vaccinated prior to the pandemic. There is no evidence that the vaccines cause the problems these people testify to. The problems are real but the vaccines did not cause them.