AlainCo Tech-watcher, admin
  • Male
  • from Villejuif
  • Member since Feb 9th 2014
  • Last Activity:
  • Unread Posts

Posts by AlainCo

For a LENR Manhattan project, the world have changed.
    Nation-State for me is no more the reference actor, nor is the corporation. Both are maneuvering too slowly.

After a long period of difficulty I start to understand that the LENR-Cities approach is much more adapted. I agree that most people, start from usual corp executives like me, will have difficulties to understand how an ecosystem works to make a revolution quickly...
    In a way Manhattan project like the Ultra project were also huge ecosystems of talents, funding and infrastructure, working with some autonomy (abandoned by the war authorities) to solve a big problem.

Many people imagine that the money did all the job. It is part of the solution, but the facts that many talents were meeting in a shared place on a shared project did the big breakthrough.
    Manhattan project was an ecosystem, factually a city, like Ultra at the beginning.
    However with time it's spirit get sclerotic, abandoning the initial freedom and trust, the management by intent, to blind obedience to government and theory and led to the culture that blocked LENR.

it is under peer review, and it takes 3-12month (from april).
    one can expect that some reviewer will show the usual desperate opposition that is reported by many authors.
    Latest Buzz is for september, but I agree, like Rossi, that it is unpredictable.

our impatience is not matching the usual delay of scientific publication, not even accounting for the deperate opposition.

one naive question : that if the report was plain negative, do you think the reviewer will take more tha 2 weeks to publish it ?

so we know the result already.
    the only question is what deperate opposition will face this report.

You should read "Fire From Ice" from Eugene Mallove, there is some exmaple of the trick used to block publication.
    I was surprised that this book is quite moderate, and even complimenting opponent on some of their competence and their motivation, but the facts are shocking anyway.

You find similar description (different perspective) in Excess Heat by Charles Beaudette, showing similar fallacies,, bias, oppositions, barriers, also described with calm and some understanding.

In both case, you understand the reason , but also the horrific opposition. Very interesting to understand the real way academic and government funded science works. It can help people to understand other controversies.

Anyway, if e-cat report is delayed, it is not important. Real decision makers have integrated and are just shy in taking the decision to cut one's arm and flee to the new world.

Today, on Linked-in, Michel Vandenberghe announced the creation of his company, dedicated to supporting an LENR Ecosystem.

LENR-Cities SA was established today in Neuchatel, Switzerland.

This practically mean that the project have reached concrete stage.

Two weeks ago Michel was calling for partners to contact them.

Hi all, You have interest in LENR. I'm asking for your support. The Incubation step of the LENR-Cities project is ending. In a few weeks, LENR-Cities is going to become a company incorporated to lead this project with innovators in fields of science, finance and industry, and implement a business ecosystem whose objective is to develop and industrialize LENR. We are going to publish a working paper to describe what our project is and in part, why it has been designed in that way. We are willing to share this document with some of you to get your remarks and criticisms in order to improve the public version which will be published later. If you are interested to contribute please send an email to [email protected] with some details about your own interest about LENR. Thanks in advance. Michel.

I have exchanged deeply with Michel about his project and soon we will be able to publish an article.
    I know this project is now concrete, and the incorporation of the company is just a formal act after negotiations which lead to agreements.
    Question is with who, and the answer is that I am already enthusiast.

Currently the best is to read that older interview and imagine that many things get realized as planned.
    Interview with Michel Vandenberghe of LENR-Cities ... moving forward! Towards a European LENR ecosystem ?
    Don't expect a working reactor, but simply a core group of scientists, companies and investors, that will make "The Expandable" jealous.
    I can just say they focus mostly on EU partners, but not only, and that as far as I know there is no US or China partner.Those specific markets are to be covered by a similar ecosystem. The logic of LENR-Cities is not to get a monopoly, but to serve modestly with method, in a competitive world, a group of partners who agree on a vision and share assets to share risk of entering an unpredictable new market.

now add a LENR reactorof 1kWth/kg with turbine of 300We/kg... 150W/kg... no shielding, and probably even lighter when LENR is mastered and turbines are high-tech.

2MW mean 13tons of E-cat+turbine
    but if you choose to dedicate half od the vehicle as engine, 45tons, it propose 7MWe which allow to go very fast...

the main problem I see is that shawyer says thatone cannot accelerate much if the Q-factor is high , thus with strong force... it is not magic... but there is hope!

Wired make an article that answers many question and it seems quite positive:
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/ar…out-nasa-impossible-drive

• there remind that the "null drive" is not a blank, and that if it works like the normal drive it mean the theory of Fetta is wrong, not that there is an artifact.
    • They confirm that unlike initial abstract, the paper says it was done in low pressure. many artifact discussed are addressed, like electrostatic...
    • They remind that EmDrive style reactor was tested too (with a much lower efficiency than Chinese test,even considering the power).
    • They explain that there is 3 theories, by Shawyer (relativity), by the Chinese team (Maxwell equations), and by Nasa (virtual particles).
    • They consider that there is 4 experiment of that kind, and that one can consider it as a confirmation.

From Ed Storms arguments (that re very detailed and argumented in his book ) I am more and more skeptical on WL theory, but they have popularized interesting concepts and principle, like trying to stay inside know physics, and using collective effects to explain LENR.

Larsen is a dynamic actors and do much to push LENR out of the pothole. Future will says if his theory is wrong, incomplete or right.

teh Nasa paper is on libertarian news
    http://www.libertariannews.org…FTestDevice-BradyEtAl.pdf

they tested a blank as a resistor.
    They also tested an emdrive equivalent, with a performance that is not as good as what Yang Juan report...
    about 5mN/kW (instead of 200-1000mN/kW, especially if you consider that the Chinese counted the total power of the magnetron and not only the one are resonance frequency).

NextBigFuture makes an article about that paper
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/…ive-and-emdrive-test.html

the data seems clear, with some mnon linearities but with clear relation between poer and force.

Shawyer just published an interview on his site
    http://www.emdrive.com/interview.html

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and 2 other parts in the playlist

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

what is funny of the news on Nasa/Fetta/canae Drive/EmDrive is that it is spreading like Ebola on the planet...

by Comparisons the E-cat tests or all the huge news we had sinec 2 years have clearly been blocked.
    I'm afraid that the future newsbomb we will drop will be ignored.

it does not seems related as far as I see...

popelantless and antigravity, like free energy attract crasy scientist, but sometime it is by such crazy characters that the breathrough happend.
    F&P were badly treated also because at that period there was similare free energy fan investigating cold fusion and Pd electrolysis... add to that the old alchemy...

the worst enemy of science is trying to protect good science from bad science. like for Press, nobody knows for sure who is right or wrong, and even you can be right for a bad reason...

about the claim of NASA and fetta, the point about the "null" test that worked anyway, there is a nice comment on reddit that explain well wthat it was a theory failure, not a blank false positive

on ECW I also listed the results of Shawyers and fetta in theor test:

http://www.emdrive.com/yang-juan-paper-2012.pdf

about shawyer result:

In 2003, he developed the first emdrive. Its diameter is 160mm, and its microwave power consumption is 850W. Using a balance beam method, the obtained actual thrust value was measured at 16mN. In 2006, Roger Shawyer developed a second emdrive. Its diameter is 280mm, and its power consumption is 1200W. Using horizontal and hanging measurement programs to measure the thrust, the obtained actual thrust value was 250mN. In 2007, Roger Shawyer carried out dynamic testing in a low-resistance suspended rotating platform. The results of the experiment were that when the second emdrive consumed microwave power of 1000W, thrust reached 287mN and the 100kg air suspension platform was accelerated to 2cm / s.

so 16mN/0.850kW=20mN/kW

250mN/1.2kW=200mN/kW

287mN/1kW

"The measurement results show that when microwave output power P = 300W, thrust reaches the first maximum value, approximately 310mN. Subsequently with an increase in power output, the thrust declines. When the output power is 800W, the thrust is minimized at 160mN. After the increase in output power, thrust increases, and with the maximum output power of 2500W, the maximum thrust reaches around 750mN. With the microwave output power at 80-1200W, the thrust measurement results show that the thrust direction is still from the large end of the microwave cavity towards the small end. Figure 4 (b) shows the experimental measurements. The measurement results show with the microwave output power at 300W, thrust reaches the first maximum value, approximately 270mN. Subsequently with an increase in power output, the thrust declines. When the output power is 600W, the thrust is minimized at around 180mN. After the increase in output power, thrust increases, when the output power is 1200W, the thrust is maximized at around 250mN."

310mN/300W=1033mN/kW

160mN/800W=200mN/kW

750mN/2.5kW=300mN/kW

270mN/300W=900mN/kW

180mN/600W=300mN/kW

250mN/1.2kW=208mN/kW

from q-drive/canae drive

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2014-4029

40uN/28W=1.4mN/kW

91uN/17W=5mN/kW

so it is 200 times less effective than Sawyer

for shawyer the Q factor is the key... the two design are very different about the Q factor it seems.

What you say remind me the warning of Michel Vandenberghe.
    It is very hard to kill your own market, your investments...
    anyway you have to do it to survive. so best is to give the job to an innovation division, to develop the new market in a sandbox where nobody will backstab you.

Quote from "Rends"

The answer is, they have all made giant investments, spend millions, or billions of own, or in the case of Boeing additionally public money in R&D and infrastructure and it is not easy for those who are responsible for all the investments to tell their shareholders, that they where wrong and the other technology is much better, so the investment was in total grab and it would be better to buy a licence for some more millions, or billions. No shareholder wants to here such a message and no CEO will ever say this!

On E-cat world Christophe Calder noticed the claim of EmDrive inventor that he is in contract with a US Aerospace company...
    I see candidate... Probable Lockheed Martin as they are often in fringe science like LENr or aneutronic fusion... Why not Boeing?

At the SPR Ltd site - http://emdrive.com/ it states that -

The EmDrive version of this technology looks like the most powerful. A US company is already working with the inventor. A higher power version with LENR as a power source would be a fun toy for NASA. Why use solar panels? Why not use a LENR reactor?

This article on NextBigFuture give much more details on what the Chinese and Sawyer are preparing already :
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/…or-emdrive-with-nasa.html

Prototype C-band emdrive (The emdrive has been funded by China and could be a breakthrough in space and terrestrial propulsion or it is a one to two million dollar scientific mistake.) [by the cinderblock in the background it appears to be less one foot tall]

SPR ltd is working on a superconducting demo which should be 100 times more powerful than the first version and provide 30 newtons of force instead of 315 milli-newtons. China is also building a large S-band thruster.

the photography are from that document
    http://www.emdrive.com/2Gupdate.pdf

all very cool! Taking a ticket for Mars soon!

Yes seems much easier if confirmed. at least will be cool for long life satellites, for space probes, an why not for flying car.
    Shawyer and Yang Juan see even a solution for space launching... I'm more skeptical, except as a device to prevent falling, while a powerful engine push from time to time.

It is not antigravity, but if you follow the computation (much more questionable than his tiny results) it could make cars fly. just need a superconductor cavity to support a ton. moving consume energy, but staying just need refilling the cavity with microwave.

http://www.emdrive.com/2Gupdate.pdf

at IAC he presented explanation on how are the limit to acceleration possible with emdrive
    http://www.emdrive.com/IAC13poster17254.pdf

I hope his computation are good. for now we only have tiny measurement, just fantastic for satellite positioning (satellite get dead when they lose propellant, despite they have energy with the sun for decades).

Don't worry I know there is stupid money for LENR coming from Germany too, already and more to came soon. ;)

The bad point is there will be French money too, Swiss money, EU money, and probably even Japanese, if not BRICS money...
    At worst there will be fringe scientists sent from those place...

Care is taken to to compete with stupid US money as they don't like we steal their stupid ideas.

Maybe some remind about EmDrive strange engine, using no fuel to eject.
    I have followed that fringe research since few years with skepticism but hope on my Scoop.it .

The inventor, Roger Shawyer, created a company and move to China to work with Ms Yang Juan in the Chinese school of Astronautics.
    The chinese team have made test that looked good, and described them in a nice FAQ and Wired covered that success.

There was few articles but it called for few reaction :D .

Anyway Shawyer still published. last year he published for IAC13 : THE DYNAMIC OPERATION OF A HIGH Q EMDRIVE MICROWAVE THRUSTER, and he is planned for IAC2014 with a paper entitled "Second Generation EmDrive Propulsion Applied to SSTO Launcher and Interstellar Probe" at Toronto in September 2014.

I started to be skeptical seeing nothing better than paper...
    An then today Wired publish that article : Nasa validates 'impossible' space drive.

That simply explain that a US scientist, Guido Fetta, has built a similar thruster, asked Nasa to test it out. The test results, are positive, and ther were presented on 50th JPC in Cleveland yesterday.

NASA thus confirm with that article: Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum

Guido Fetta have a company "Canae LLC" proposing this Q-Drive alias "Canae Drive"

The theory is disputed, and they prefer to consider that it is simply reaction against the virtual particle of crowed void, and even more wisely prefer to avoid theory and consider evidences. I sign too on that phenomenological approach.

If in the same year we have EmDrive/QDrive and LENR, that would be "la fête du slip" :thumbup: for space probes and Mars travel.

wooh, great job.

I think about the Heiress who won her trial against CET ... she will be lie the guy who quit the Beetles before the fame, or the husband of JK Rowling.

Anyway the practice of Preston to get high salaries for startups are a bit shocking when I compare with the behavior of startupper I know who don't pay themselves until the cash get in, and survive with a second job.

Preston seems to have a huge network. not really the garage startupper who borrow "love money" to mum.

On Viadeo, in the group "Smarter Cities - The Sustainable City" Michel Vandenberghe (co-developer of LENR-Cities) has published a new article "Crisis? Why we should be optimistic ..."

Having seen the current shortcomings, challenges to face, he explains the need for a paradigm shift towards more "Open", communication, agility. He concluded by explaining LENR-Cities will be an implementation of this new philosophy.

there is connection with the emerging concept of social networks, social business, but also connected objects, 3D printings. This is individualisation that paradoxically demand for more relation than usually does hierarchy.
    Interesting to hear that Asia have a cultural advantage, as the group is the basic of their values.

Now beyond the article, it is clear that communication LENR-Cities is gently rising , as if they were preparing something for us :whistling: .
    I can not tell you more, but it should be a reason to be optimistic :saint: .

Here is a google+me translation of the article:

:thumbup:

Sur Viadeo, dans le groupe "Des villes plus intelligentes - La Ville Durable" Michel Vandenberghe (co-développeur de LENR-Cities) vient de publier un nouvel article optimiste: La crise ? Pourquoi faut-il être optimiste...

En faisant le constat des dysfonctionnements actuels, des défis à affronter, il explique le besoin de changer de modèle vers plus d'"Open", de communication, d'agilité. Il termine en expliquant ainsi que LENR-Cities sera une implémentation de cette nouvelle philosophie.

Maintenant au delà de l'article, il est clair que la communication de LENR-Cities monte doucement en puissance, comme si ils nous préparaient quelque chose :whistling: .
    Je ne peux pas vous en dire plus, mais ça devrait être, une raison d'être optimiste. :rolleyes: