nickec Verified User
  • Male
  • from California, USA
  • Member since Jan 20th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by nickec

"A high-performance capillary-fed electrolysis cell promises more cost-competitive renewable hydrogen."

Infographic-How-Hysatas-CFE-cell-works-1200x848.jpg

Australian electrolyzer invention enables green hydrogen under US$2/kg by ‘mid 2020s’
    “We’re not talking about incremental improvement, this is a really giant leap,” Hysata CEO Paul Barrett told <b>pv magazine Australia</b>. Hysata is…
    www.pv-magazine.com

Renewable, or green, hydrogen will play a critical role in the decarbonisation of hard-to-abate sectors and will therefore be important in limiting global warming. However, renewable hydrogen is not cost-competitive with fossil fuels, due to the moderate energy efficiency and high capital costs of traditional water electrolysers. Here a unique concept of water electrolysis is introduced, wherein water is supplied to hydrogen- and oxygen-evolving electrodes via capillary-induced transport along a porous inter-electrode separator, leading to inherently bubble-free operation at the electrodes. An alkaline capillary-fed electrolysis cell of this type demonstrates water electrolysis performance exceeding commercial electrolysis cells, with a cell voltage at 0.5 A cm−2 and 85 °C of only 1.51 V, equating to 98% energy efficiency, with an energy consumption of 40.4 kWh/kg hydrogen (vs. ~47.5 kWh/kg in commercial electrolysis cells). High energy efficiency, combined with the promise of a simplified balance-of-plant, brings cost-competitive renewable hydrogen closer to reality.

A high-performance capillary-fed electrolysis cell promises more cost-competitive renewable hydrogen - Nature Communications
    Water electrolysis offers a promising means for green hydrogen production, however current electrolysers do not provide a competitive edge over fossil fuels.…
    www.nature.com

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-28953-x.pdf

In watching this video

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I was reminded of a fleeting thought - that some claimed that oxygen might poison the reaction.

Is this an issue at this juncture?

Is the Titanium coating mentioned in the video a viable option?

Has anyone used a reaction vessel so lined for LENR experimental campaigns?

FYI. Tin facilitates the absorption of H2 into Ru, and maybe some others, Sm and Co both love hydrogen. Could work, only one way to find out.

Only one way.

This is the way.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

... It occurs to me that air has a great deal of water in it. Could it be that H2O reacts? Or could the ions fracture water molecules? There is a lot more water than free hydrogen in air.

Is it cold fusion? Who knows! Honestly, who cares, as long as it works?

A vital experiment would be to compare two LEC. LEC A, and LEC B. Fill them with air at various known humidities. See if there is a trend of more output proportional to the humidity. This would be a very telling experiment, IMO.

You could even mask the humidity to eliminate experimenter bias.

Perhaps easier would be a chamber with several LEC inside. The chamber humidity could be measured. LEC outputs measured. Then the air could be dried over time. Periodically retest LEC outputs.

Has a mesh, which did perform, ever been reinstalled into a second reactor?

Perhaps this is an avenue to piercing the mist.

Has a mesh, which did NOT perform in reactors used by outside experimenters, ever been re-installed in a Mizuno-built reactor?

Or, has a performing mesh ever performed in different/multiple reactors?

The definition says yes. Every muon is negative. Every anti-muon is positive.

And a lot of muons pass through our bodies: ~10,000 muons per minute.

"...

Secondary effects

At sea level, the majority of cosmic ray secondaries are highly penetrating muons. About 10,000 muons pass through our bodies every minute. Some of these muons will ionize molecules as they go through our flesh, occasionally leading to genetic mutations that may be harmful.

At present, the average human receives the equivalent of about 10 chest X-rays per year from cosmic rays. We shouldn't be alarmed by this, since it is just part of the natural background radiation under which humans and our ancestors have been exposed to for eons. Indeed, cosmic-ray-induced mutations may sometimes be beneficial.

"It is clear that in some way cosmic rays shaped evolution of organisms on Earth," says Franco Ferrari from the University of Szczecin in Poland.

In a recent issue of the journal Astrobiology, Ferrari and Ewa Szuszkiewicz from the same university reviewed what we know about cosmic rays, and they argue that the current biological relevance of these particles is not necessarily representative of the past.

"It is very likely that organisms of early Earth possessed DNA that was unstable and could easily mutate under external agents, more so, perhaps, than the DNA of present-day bacteria," the authors write.

..."

From: https://www.space.com/7193-death-rays-space-bad.html

We live now in what is for many people a post-factual world. ...

The factual world will win out in the end.

Embracing the post-factual is self-destructive.

For me, the question is, how long will it take to die off?

Still, I believe the lesson will be learned: Facts count. And not just in Science.

I am trying to look away.  Yet my personality seems to require me to inquire and penetrate the unknown. An inconvenient trait sometimes. Thankfully, there is an upside. Still, here I will strive to invest my thinking in more immediately practical areas. Honestly, I will likely be back at puzzling this out sooner than later.

I refer here not to the 100W power supply. I refer to the hidden. The desire to deeply know the processes all around us, right under our noses, yet unseen, untouched, unheard.

Have you already considered scratching the plate surface?

One might divide the plate into sections, say 3 by 3. Then proceed to abrade each area using different methods - or grits.

I wonder if rolling a knurler over the plate might be useful? Or perhaps access to a shaper could get the job done.

"Brass is difficult to file because it is softer than steel, but tough. This

demands teeth that are sharp, sturdy and cut to prevent grooving
    and running the file off the work. The Brass file has a short upcut
    angle and a fine long angle over-cut which produces small scallops
    to break up filings and enable the file to clear. With pressure, the
    sharp high-cut teeth bite deep, with less pressure, the short upcut
    angle smoothes."

Please forgive me if this is something you have already explored, Alan.

If only science backed up your position, Shane. Sadly, it does not.

"Leave them alone I say. They are only a threat to themselves, not us."

They are a threat to every living human. In the following sense. The larger the available infection target population, the more possible mutation cycles, and the greater likelihood of a more deadly strain of covid.

This is very well understood among biologists. To underestimate the danger endangers us all.

It is, in my opinion, short-sighted to assume that our life choices have little impact on others.

I respect your opinion Shane, however, I strongly disagree with it. We are all joined at the hip.

The travails of a researcher in another field parallel those involved in LENR.

The illusion of knowledge may be a greater threat to real knowledge than ignorance.