Brian Albiston Verified User
  • Member since Feb 9th 2015

Posts by Brian Albiston

Stainless steel plate is still there, but there is a window for direct measurement with IR.

I am testing new concept with the fuel container. Reactor is smaller, fuel container can be replaced easily and is more durable.

Me356, could you post a photo and description of your fuel container? Did you fabricate it yourself or is it a COTS container? Thanks.

Thanks for the estimate Jack. The fact is there is just too many unknowns in this experiment. It wasn't designed to find COP and therefore it's impossible to determine an accurate COP from it. If I decide I want to determine COP I'll use calorimetry in a future experiment.

Once you have a loaded reactor, what would the proper procedure be to dispose of it after an experiment? Brian Ahern mentions cracking it open after it has cooled in step 7 above, but presumably it could still have 100's of psi of hydrogen locked inside. How do you safely crack that open to "disarm" it?

@bschill, that is a good idea as long as I can devise a way to measure the temperature of each tube while it is in the heating area. The heating area consists of a steel pipe, 24" long by 3" diameter so there is room for multiple tubes.

It would be interesting to see if the effect can be reproduced in an oven/kiln or if there is some interaction between the heating wires and the nickel powder mix that is required. Brillouin seems to be able to create an effect by using electromagnetic stimulation without chemical catalyst (other than nickel and hydrogen as far as I understand). Do you plan to use DC for your direct heating or are you going to try AC stimulation?

Alain, I'm still contemplating how to do calorimetry. There is no doubt it is going to be tricky. You have power losses in the high voltage power supply to the magnetron and then power losses in the magnetron itself. The Parkhomov/Rossi tube will likely absorb the RF variably with temperature, so knowing how much energy you are putting into the system is tricky.

Initially I think I will load a tube with everything but the hydrogen source and measure the reactor waveguide (which is basically a steel pipe) external temperature rise vs. time. I will then do the same measurement with a hydrogen loaded tube and compare results. If that shows promise I can submerge everything but the magnetron and power supply in water and do boil off measurements. Ideally I would extend the calorimetry box to include the magnetron and high voltage supply, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Suggestions are welcome.

Alain, thank you for the information. I'm hopeful that the 2.4 GHz will have a stimulative effect on the reaction, although it is obviously well below the THz that was observed.
    Nickec, I haven't found LiAlH4 on ebay yet, but I'll keep looking. I did manage to purchase Titanium Hydride and Lithium Hydroxide. I will try those until I can find a supplier for LiAlH4.
    Condensed, I'm approaching this assuming that I don't want the tube to absorb the energy. I believe I want the nickel to absorb the energy and the tube is merely to contain the pressure. That is why I plan to start with alumina since it is microwave transparent (until it gets really hot). It's possible that you are right and heating the tube is more effective. At this point we're all just going on hunches, but with so many people trying out there someone is bound to figure something out.

Benoit, I'm currently planning a microwave heated replication attempt. I've been working for months attempting to replicate the Peery/Ahmad results of microwave heating in a hydrogen atmosphere without much success. I'm now going to attempt a Parkhomov style reactor inside my microwave reactor to see if the increased pressure possible in the Parkhomov style improves my results. My reactor can vary microwave energy smoothly from ~200-~1200W and is heavily armored. The main thing I've been lacking is a chemical source for hydrogen. LiAlH4 is pretty much impossible to get unless you are an institution. Your suggestion for TiH2 is an excellent and welcome one.