Nigel Appleton Member
  • Male
  • Member since Apr 2nd 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Nigel Appleton

I believe there are exceptions such as refusing inventions claiming perpetual motion, and from what I read, refusing inventions of cold fusion as a result of a letter to the Patent Office from DOE.

It is not clear if the lattter restriction has been eased recently.

It has been said patents are worthless until they have been tested in court.

Not quite true. Patents can have a valuable effect of deterring one's competitors from copying your invention lest they be sued for infringement and damages. Not everyone wants to risk the costs involved in using lawyers, particularly if buying a license to the patent is possible

Please, please, show the evidence that anyone actually built anything on this land.

Thank you

So - no objective evidence that there were ever houses on the site (your "most probably" doesn't qualify). In fact, as far as I can ascertain, that area is in an industrial area, and was never zoned for housing. Furthermore there is no mention of buildings, let alone houses, in the documentation.

You are letting your obsession with "proving" that Cherokee are villainous overcome whatever capacity you may have for sober and objective judgement

Yeah, the PDF has nothing that hasn't already been discussed here. Is it such a big surprise that they are liable for clean-up when they bought the site? I guess UC Berkeley are bad guys too right, since they are in the same situation?

You and ele must spend too much time together, your tricks of linking to long-winded documents with nothing in them and trying to add innuendo are transparent and boring. I'm just interested in the facts, which are very easy for anyone to find with Google. The fact is that there were never any houses built there leading to illness, which is what both you and ele claimed.

So, would you like to retract your false claim, or leave it hanging around here as a testament to your willingness to lie in your unquestioning support of Rossi?

Yeah, I've been wondering for a while why some people persist with this claim of housing built on contaminated land. The fact is that there are no houses there, so persisting with this claim makes the claimer a liar, no bones about it.

Nope. Not as far as I know. McKubre retired. Nearly all the researchers I know are retired or dead. There is practically no research going on, never mind advances.

Still, the proof that McKubre cites in the paper is as good today as it was when the experiments were done. Scientifically proven facts do not have a shelf life.

How would you go about reviving research into what could be be a very important technology, given the apparently ample evidence from reputable teams and individuals that excess heat can be obtained without irradiating everything close to the reactor? (and without the involvement of known scammers)

That may be true of Rossi's version of LENR, but it does not apply to what Fleischmann and Pons discovered. That has been widely replicated at high signal to noise ratios. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHcoldfusionb.pdf

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks, Jed.

That McKubre review was published in 2009. Have there, in your view, been significant advances since? I recognise, of course, that there would be an understandable tendency to keep any such under wraps for as long as possible and for damn good reasons. Nevertheless, one would like to think that good, careful science and engineering were taking this forward.

LENR now shares the same space in my mind as the Philosopher's Stone, Bigfoot, and the IC engine that runs on water. Phantasmagoria, followed by dedicated deniers of reality, but which fade and vanish when solid evidence is demanded.

That's a bit silly. If Rossi's technology actually did work, why would IH break a contract that, if in force, would net them billions?

The courts would absolutely slay them with damages and penalties.

In my experience, businessfolk (even VCs!) are not generally that devious. Greedy, yes, often: but openly so, and they stick to contracts because failing to do so costs them bigly in money and reputation.

Trump has a history of not sticking to contracts and stiffing his suppliers. Now he can get no credit, even lawyers don't want to deal with him, And if does buy any goods or services, you can bet your boots he pays top dollar, because the risks of dealing with him are priced in. So it goes for people who won't honour contracts.

As I understand it, IH does not have a world-wide license to Rossi's "IP". I wonder why he is not selling his "technology" elsewhere. If it all works as claimed, $100 million would be chump change by now

I must say that if Judge Altonaga authored Doc 303, it shows that there are no flies on that lady, and that she has a firm grasp of the essentials of the case. In particular, she will have no truck with any argument that it matters not if the ecats don't work and that it's all about the letter of the agreements. If the ecats don't work, IH owe Rossi nothing.

And wouldn't I just love for her to order Rossi to produce a working ecat to avoid criminal prosecution. (Yes, I know it won't happen, but a man can dream...)

Legally all burden is on IH. The law is very clear. If you don't complain in time, then the hurdle is very, very high.

That's not true.you know. The law allows for the instance where a deceived party does not realise the deceit for some time after the event. The case books are full of such cases. Just consider a number of corporate acquisitions, where despite due diligence the acquired company is later found to have deceived the acquirer. Getting away with something for a while does not mean you can claim innocence.

Mike, thank you for e-mailing me your story.

Everyone else: Mike has a fascinating and quite relevant story to tell about his close-up eyewitness account and personal involvement with Gerald Schaflander's Consumer's Solar Electric Power Corporation. In the 1980s, Schaflander developed a cheap way of creating hydrogen-based fuel that could be used in easily modified gasoline engines. But he was crushed by allegations of fraud. Apparently, though, his invention was later validated. For anyone naive enough to think that energy interests couldn't care less about LENR at this stage and who are dismissive of so-called conspiracy theories, Mike offers an eye-opening tale. You can read his "not just another conspiracy theory" here at ECW.

That led me down quite an interesting trail, through ammonia storage in salt pellets (I didn't realise that ammonia can be used as a fuel in IC engines!) to what seems to be a pretty good new method (validated and now being used on 55 London buses) for reducing NOx emissions from diesel engines.

http://www.amminex.com/news.as…ewsId=27&M=NewsV2&PID=850

Apposite because there's been (rightly) a deal of fuss recently in UK about NOx emissions from diesels. Perhaps I won't have to feel guilty about driving my 3-litre V6 diesel for much longer - the system can be fitted to cars, apparently

@sigmoidal

We need the test data and reports. The emails indicate some tests were producing high COPs. You assume it is due to a thermal camera issue. Para disagrees with you. The emails do talk of Vaughn trying water calorimetry with >1 COP. I'm sure Dameron has a significant amount of test data, engineering notebooks, etc. wouldn't you think? You all here have assumed for some time now that the COP 9 tests were invalid, but there is no evidence on the record that refutes or withdraws those tests. The fact that Dameron was still testing the Dameron/Rossi built reactors as late as January 2016 speaks volumes.

Yes, speaks volumes of the desperation to find ANYTHING to justify continued investment in what was being realised to a boondoggle. It is to their credit that they tried for so long. My heart goes out to them - I have spent many a long day and night in the lab trying to confirm some potentially valuable but ultimately ephemeral effect. I've never had more than a few hundred quid tied up in it, though!

These ephemera invariably turned out to be founded on error- error of mine, of a colleague, of instrumentation, of understanding.... but then I've never had a problem admitting error when shown it.

While I agree with you on this point, IH is (humorously) claiming otherwise in the suit. They think their territorial license somehow blocks Rossi globally.

I infer you think that IH are just lying about their inability to show any excess heat, (let alone the risible COP levels claimed in the equally risible ERV report). Totally illogical. The market for any energy device with a COP of 80+ is such that $100 million would be a very cheap price to pay.

Why on earth should IH fart about reneging on their obligations if they could access trillions of dollars potential revenue ? AND when they are faced with the fact that theirs is NOT a world-wide license and Rossi/Leonardo could simply introduce working eCats into those territories where it's permitted for them to do so and make IH look like complete clowns (as well as criminals)

I reiterate as above. I would be interested in your answer to the question of why Rossi does not simply introduce working eCats in those parts of the world where he can That would show the skeptics! And show up IH for the scoundrels that you and others claim them to be.

@AN: You just forget, that all useful reactors were built by IH...

May be you should explain the intention behind your posts!

We all would like that IH makes/agrees such an independent test of a big franky. May be You don't like this idea?

There are no "useful "reactors!

IH have already tried and failed to reproduce Rossi's claims.

Rossi either cannot or will not tell them where, if anywhere, they went wrong.

Rossi also claimed on JONP to have built more eCats for commercial use, although he seems to have been lying about this.

I infer you think that IH are just lying about their inability to show any excess heat, (let alone the risible COP levels claimed in the equally risible ERV report). Totally illogical. The market for any energy device with a COP of 80+ is such that $100 million would be a very cheap price to pay.

Why on earth should IH fart about reneging on their obligations if they could access trillions of dollars potential revenue ? AND when they are faced with the fact that theirs is NOT a world-wide license and Rossi/Leonardo could simply introduce working eCats into those territories where it's permitted for them to do so and make IH look like complete clowns (as well as criminals)

Face it, Witters, Rossi is an out-and -out fraudster and has never had anything worth a plugged nickel.

@NA: This assumption is totally wrong: AR sold (already 2013) his IP to IH. Only IH can decide whether such a test can be made or not.

IH certainly will not allow any further (complete independent) tests until the trial is over.

I personally would ask IH to allow for such a test with the big frankies. But then they would need to overrule the military partners...

Sorry, but you're wrong. Rossi can do anything he likes with the IP, so long as he doesn't SELL items made using it in the territories already ceded to IH.

You or I could do it, so long as we didn't profit from it or otherwise damage IH's business by giving away free eCats

(Notwithstanding the undoubted fact that the IP is worthless anyway)

Assuming this fascinating business comes to trial, I do hope that counsel for IH ensure that the idea that Rossi could could at any time have openly demonstrated a working eCat is firmly in the mind of the jury. So simple a solution, even the least technically minded and bored juror will grasp it and hang on to it.

AR could easily have saved a lot of money and time, gained fame and fortune, and have been justified in raising a middle finger to all skeptics, along with emitting a loud raspberry.